or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The next iMac

The next iMac - Page 2

post #41 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by antizeit

23", less chin, top-of-the-line black model for just 200$ more....

Nice... I'll buy one.

I think it would have a little more chin though.

You also forgot the black tax and the $500 price difference between the 20" and 23" cinema display.

My guess is a starting price of $1.999.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #42 of 177
Quote:

That is a very sexy machine. I would love to have something like that. Also, there is a reason for the chin. Now, maybe it isn't much of an issue now, or with the 23" machine you are suggesting, however Apple will not make one model machine differ so radically from the others without making that same change across the board.

Also, quite honestly, what is the big deal with the chin? I could care less that it is there, plus it makes it look like it is more than a monitor.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #43 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Eggleston
Also, quite honestly, what is the big deal with the chin? I could care less that it is there, plus it makes it look like it is more than a monitor.

I love the chin on my iMac! Please keep the chin apple!
post #44 of 177
chinless 21in widescreen = sexy.
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
post #45 of 177
I would like the stand to be darker to go well with the black iMac.
post #46 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by mwswami
I would like the stand to be darker to go well with the black iMac.

Nah, I think the contrast is great.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #47 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by IntlHarvester
Well, Apple has already shown they love diminishing returns with the Mini and to some extent with the current iMac.

I think Conroe would put Apple right in the middle of the Intel/AMD price war and create embarassing price comparisons. I vote Mermon and thin/light enclosures to prevent the comparisons, much like has been seen with the Mini.

I'm not saying Apple won't do it. Only that they shouldn't. It's stupid and only gives Apple a way to avoid comparissons to pcs. Very cynical if they do it.
post #48 of 177
Quote:

This looks like it's made from a video ipod mockup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #49 of 177
the screen looks like the iMac G4 with rounded corner, IMHO it will be nice in more squarer like cinema display.

yes black is sexy!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #50 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Nah, I think the contrast is great.

na.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #51 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
Nice... I'll buy one.

I think it would have a little more chin though.

You also forgot the black tax and the $500 price difference between the 20" and 23" cinema display.

My guess is a starting price of $1.999.

I would buy one for my kitchen. To be more ergonomic (so that the screen is more level with the eyes), it either needs a bigger chin or the stand needs to be taller ...
post #52 of 177
Quote:

I hate black, but if your design above was released with a glossy black finish and that look, deliver one to my door ASAP. I think black borders on monitors give nice contrast to the screen.

I can harldy wait to see what happens with the iMac in August. I am ready to purchase one now to replace my current iMac G5. So when August comes, new chips and hopefully 23" will be a choice.

I also like your idea of illuminating the Apple logo instead of some white round light on my panel off center.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #53 of 177
If the chin got removed, you might need a higher desk
post #54 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
I'm not saying Apple won't do it. Only that they shouldn't. It's stupid and only gives Apple a way to avoid comparissons to pcs. Very cynical if they do it.

I was at Circuit City the other day and spied an HP desktop computer with a Pentium M processor; granted, it was $619 without a monitor, but it was very small, so Apple would have some precedent for putting a mobile processor into a destkop computer.

That said, if Conroe's not offered in the iMac (even though it will be cheaper, and thus I expect it will be), to stay competitive Apple would have to offer lower priced towers, somewhere in the $999-$1999 range at least.
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #55 of 177
So is the overall consensus here for a new iMac in August or September?

Also, this 23" monitor is very much just wishful thinking am I right? Is there any evidence to support this possibility? I personally would go for the 20" but it would be nice to see some options.

Sorry but I will soon be purchasing my first mac in late September/early October and I can't frickin wait. I am really just hoping for a speed bump (minor one, I know) and similar design with some other nice upgrades.

Anybody think there is a chance for a larger standard hard drive? I think probably not as 250gigs is quite large already.
post #56 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunebug38

Also, this 23" monitor is very much just wishful thinking am I right?

I am afraid so.

Quote:

Is there any evidence to support this possibility?

No. Just people think that when the 23" price comes down enough, Apple would consider releasing a 23" iMac. But it has to happen to some point if Apple wish to have a consumer desktop capable to decode (it can now thanks to Core Duo) and display (it can't now since the resolution is lower) appropriately 1080p video.

Quote:

Sorry but I will soon be purchasing my first mac in late September/early October and I can't frickin wait. I am really just hoping for a speed bump (minor one, I know) and similar design with some other nice upgrades.

This is the most probable to happen in the coming months.

Quote:

Anybody think there is a chance for a larger standard hard drive? I think probably not as 250gigs is quite large already.

A larger HD I think will come in the update after this one, that is next year. But you never know with Apple. The iMac is their consumer flagship desktop, so there is a light chance to increase HD capacity sooner than later.
post #57 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunebug38
Also, this 23" monitor is very much just wishful thinking am I right?

In part for sure - but I remember Apple introducing the 20" iMac G4 at a time when this size of LCD for a consumer desktop was absolutely on the bleeding edge of things. They like doing this kind of thing, It simply comes down to the price.

Here´s another view of my wishful thinking

post #58 of 177
or in white, without the beveled edge of the black one:

post #59 of 177
Thanks PB for the very helpful responses. I have to say I'm very excited to see the changes even though I know they may be very small.

It's a love/hate thing with Apple's secretive strategy upon releasing new products. Kind of like when your parent's hid the xmas presents and you kept looking even though you knew it would be so much better to find out when the time came. Pretty lame metaphor I know, but that's kind of how I feel.
I know if I could know what the specs were now I would gladly take the information but that I would be dissapointed I didn't wait.
post #60 of 177
It'll be enough for me if they upgrade the processor and video card. I'll jump at the 20" version. Conroe's heat output does consern me however, especially with MacBook's heat problems, not sure if Apple can fit the hotter processor into the pretty confined space of an iMac.

Say, now that Conroes' are coming on-sale this month, would you think there's a possibility we might see the upgraded iMac in the very beginning of August? Also, perhaps Leopard arriving with it? Or is it yet too unfinished to retail this year?
Nothing to see here.
Nothing to see here.
post #61 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by acidapples
It'll be enough for me if they upgrade the processor and video card. I'll jump at the 20" version. Conroe's heat output does consern me however, especially with MacBook's heat problems, not sure if Apple can fit the hotter processor into the pretty confined space of an iMac.

Say, now that Conroes' are coming on-sale this month, would you think there's a possibility we might see the upgraded iMac in the very beginning of August? Also, perhaps Leopard arriving with it? Or is it yet too unfinished to retail this year?

Leopard December at the earliest, but most likely mid Jan '07.
post #62 of 177
20" monitor is a good size for the consumer space. I could see Apple nixing the 17" but selling a 23" version in the high end space ($1800-2000, which may be possible with the reduced prices of LCD panels) could erode Mac Pro sales as Graphic Designers and Ad agencies consider them for their "Main" computers instead of the bottom end Mac Pro's which at todays prices are very expensive for a "Production" computer. They will probably still buy MacPro's for some of their computers but the economics of the cheaper iMac 23" screens would probably work fine for 50-75% of their computer's with the added benefit of replacing aging monitors at the same time.
post #63 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
20" monitor is a good size for the consumer space. I could see Apple nixing the 17" but selling a 23" version in the high end space ($1800-2000, which may be possible with the reduced prices of LCD panels) could erode Mac Pro sales as Graphic Designers and Ad agencies consider them for their "Main" computers instead of the bottom end Mac Pro's which at todays prices are very expensive for a "Production" computer. They will probably still buy MacPro's for some of their computers but the economics of the cheaper iMac 23" screens would probably work fine for 50-75% of their computer's with the added benefit of replacing aging monitors at the same time.

That would work well for the businesses you describe but how would that sell to consumers? I doubt at that price you would see very brisk sales. That is too much for a consumer product especially when you factor in RAM upgrades and Applecare.
post #64 of 177
If they try to stuff a Conroe in there at expense of the noise, I'm sticking with a discounted 20" CD. One of the reasons I'm making the switch is for ready-built silencing. If they get away from this again in the consumer space, that will be a sad thing.
post #65 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by acidapples
Also, perhaps Leopard arriving with it? Or is it yet too unfinished to retail this year?

Leopard is scheduled for next year. It has not even been previewed and this is going to happen next month. After the conference give it at least six months before it shows up in stores.
post #66 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by KamiNoYadoru
If they try to stuff a Conroe in there at expense of the noise, I'm sticking with a discounted 20" CD.

I doubt that Apple would use a Conroe in the iMac. A 23" model could easily handle the heat without compromising silence, but for the 17" and 20" it is more difficult. A 17" Conroe iMac would probably have the heat and noise issues that the older 17" G5 models had.
post #67 of 177
I think now the Edu only iMac is out the iMac will go 20" and 23" next release. And Conroe is 65w TDP yes? This should be easy for the iMac to disapate. I really hope they do go for a 23" iMac with i965 chipset, decent graphics (nvidia 7600gs) and eSATA port, then I would never need a tower again. FW800 would be nice too. if that appears in august/sept it will be my next mac.
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
post #68 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Thereubster
I think now the Edu only iMac is out the iMac will go 20" and 23" next release.

That's an interesting point.

Quote:

And Conroe is 65w TDP yes? This should be easy for the iMac to disapate.

Not without a (perhaps very) noticeable increase in fan noise for the 17" model, probably the 20" one too. I don't remember the exact numbers, someone here could enlighten us, but I remember that Conroe is substantially more hot than Merom. I believe though that a 23" model would handle the heat without raising the noise levels. Today's Intel iMacs are almost silent and it would be nice to see them remain so.
post #69 of 177
I've noticed that the UK, French, German and other European stores are showing delivery times of 5-7 days for the 20" iMac. It has had 24hr delivery time for the last year, I wonder if we can expect an update before WWDC as Conroe and Merom are offically launched tomorrow.
post #70 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by amack
I've noticed that the UK, French, German and other European stores are showing delivery times of 5-7 days for the 20" iMac. It has had 24hr delivery time for the last year, I wonder if we can expect an update before WWDC as Conroe and Merom are offically launched tomorrow.

I would hope so... but "officially launched tomorrow"? I thought it wasn't going to be till the 27th which would be Thursday.
post #71 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by Thereubster
I think now the Edu only iMac is out the iMac will go 20" and 23" next release. And Conroe is 65w TDP yes? This should be easy for the iMac to disapate. I really hope they do go for a 23" iMac with i965 chipset, decent graphics (nvidia 7600gs) and eSATA port, then I would never need a tower again. FW800 would be nice too. if that appears in august/sept it will be my next mac.

Now that the 17" iMac has replaced the eMac, I think it makes sense for Apple to manufacture 19" & 22" iMacs.
Saw a whole bunch of 19" widescreen LCDs at NewEgg for around $200,
while this link shows the 22" size will be upon us soon:
http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20060720VL202.html
post #72 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by jdcfsu
I would hope so... but "officially launched tomorrow"? I thought it wasn't going to be till the 27th which would be Thursday.

Sorry you're right, it's already shipping but is officially launched on the 27th.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2531
post #73 of 177
Quote:
Sorry you're right, it's already shipping but is officially launched on the 27th.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2531

I think that it would be a great win for Intel if they brought Steve out to launch an updated iMac with the official launch of the new chips. Apple had a great market share increase in the last 12 months, and Intel needs that to continue to keep their chip volume up in a period of "weak demand" that they have been experiencing lately. Of course part of my "Hoping" is due to the fact that my 450 Cube is getting really slow and I want to replace it with a new iMac, but would prefer to do so after they release the next update. It would be even better if they put the 20" screen on the entry level iMac.
post #74 of 177
Quote:
It would be even better if they put the 20" screen on the entry level iMac.

No no no.
Ad an 23" iMac.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #75 of 177
Quote:
I think that it would be a great win for Intel if they brought Steve out to launch an updated iMac with the official launch of the new chips.

I like you're idea. It'd be a win for Intel and a win for Apple all in the same day. Though, while I'm like you and ready to purchase when they're announced, something tells me that the iMac might have to wait until Mac Expo. I hope it doesn't and just get's a speical announcement like the one you propose, but if it has to wait for an "event" then the September Expo is the one we'll be waiting for. Here's to hoping though.
post #76 of 177
Quote:
I think that it would be a great win for Intel if they brought Steve out to launch an updated iMac with the official launch of the new chips.

Somehow I think a move like this would infuriate quite a lot of other intel customers.....

Like the idea though! 8)
post #77 of 177
I've noticed on the UK Apple store that 20" iMacs have a delivery time of 5-7 days and when you customise the order (e.g. add a USB modem) it jumps to 9-11 days.
Are Apple cannibalising the parts to meet demands for the Macbook or do you think we will see a quiet upgrade to Core2Duo on Tuesday?
post #78 of 177
Quote:
do you think we will see a quiet upgrade to Core2Duo on Tuesday?

It won't be quiet.
post #79 of 177
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
It won't be quiet.

I believe that too. Even if the iMac gets a Merom, this is a 64-bit processor and Apple would like to be a little more explicit about what the machine gets as CPU. Of course, the iMac had previously the also 64-bit G5, and I am not sure how Apple would handle this from a marketing point of view.

That's why I believe that the new iMac will show up in Apple Expo. Plenty of time to built a healthy CPU stock for an event announcement.
post #80 of 177
When Intel released their Core Duo on the 5th January the Intel iMac was released the following week at MWSF. I really don't think they'll want to preview what is essntially a home computer at a developers conference. Surely they want the MacPro and Leopard to share the spotlight. So I think (hope!) 20" iMacs with e6600 2.40ghz next Tuesday.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The next iMac