or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple re-releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 for Intel?

Apple re-releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 for Intel?

post #1 of 52
Apple Computer forgot to include some files with its Intel distribution of Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update and is issuing a revised updater, the company said in an email on Thursday.

"The install package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system is being revised," the company said. "The revision is to provide several files related to OpenGL performance that were missing.

Only the package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system to Mac OS X v10.4.7 (Intel) is being changed, Apple said. All other Mac OS X v10.4.7 install packages remain unchanged.

So far, the revised updater has not appeared on Apple's Web site or through Software Update. The company said the new package will bear the name MacOSXUpd10.4.7Intel.dmg and carry an SHA1 checksum of "10aa57dfccd63accb0939a894cea202a8910fb45."

It's currently unclear whether those users who have already installed Mac OS X 10.4.7 on their Intel Macs will need to re-update or if they will be issued a patch with the missing files.

Apple did state that the change being made to the install package does not affect the security fixes provided in the package.
post #2 of 52
Scary installing "the latest" update on G3 iBook... upon restart it looked like the admin functions had been zeroed out (erased). Then, re-restarting it seemed to address whatever bug occurred. Needless to say, it shook this investor's confidence...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Scary installing this update on G3 iBook...

vs.

Quote:
Only the package that upgrades a Mac OS X v10.4.6 (Intel) system to Mac OS X v10.4.7 (Intel) is being changed

post #4 of 52
Oh, Chuck.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 52
they...... forgot?
post #6 of 52
Getting kinda sloppy as of late.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #7 of 52
As far as I can tell, this only affects the delta update and not the combo.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #8 of 52
Have they already updated the delta update on Software Update? I had waited (glad I did now!) and I'll wait until it's changed. I used to do these things right off the bat, but I became more cautious after the snafu that was 10.2.8.

I started using Super Duper! to create a "sandbox" volume on my hd so that I can install updates to see if they break. If they do, I do a smart update from my master volume. It's saved my ass twice already, and it's cheap money too (under $30). I recommend it highly.
Computer: MacBook Pro 15.4", 2 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.6

Internet: Verizon DSL (3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps), Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Netgear RP614v.2 Router, AirPort Express

"...
Computer: MacBook Pro 15.4", 2 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.4.6

Internet: Verizon DSL (3.0 Mbps/768 Kbps), Westell 2200 DSL Modem, Netgear RP614v.2 Router, AirPort Express

"...
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Oh, Chuck.

Point being: your report has nothing to do with the topic.
post #10 of 52
Still nowhere to be seen. \
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 52
I just d/l'd the standalone updater and re-installed 10.4.7

Just to see if there is a difference, this is the build number: 8J2135a

Can someone who previously applied 10.4.7 post their build number?
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
I just d/l'd the standalone updater and re-installed 10.4.7

Just to see if there is a difference, this is the build number: 8J2135a

Can someone who previously applied 10.4.7 post their build number?

I upgraded using the combo updater yesterday. My build number is 8J2135.

Tonight, did you download the standalone delta or standalone combo update?
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
I upgraded using the combo updater yesterday. My build number is 8J2135.

Tonight, did you download the standalone delta or standalone combo update?

The standalone delta... to be had from http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1047intel.html

So your build lacked the "a" at the end?

Just as a note... it took me several tries to download a file that would actually mount. Not sure why.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
The standalone delta... to be had from http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1047intel.html

So your build lacked the "a" at the end?

Just as a note... it took me several tries to download a file that would actually mount. Not sure why.

There is no 'a' at the end of my build number of the standalone combo update from yesterday.

In the pursuit of knowledge, I'm re-downloading the combo update right now. I'll reinstall and see if I'm still at the same build number.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe this issue only involves files missing in the delta upgrade. I don't expect to see any change in my build number after re-applying the combo.
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool

Yes indeed.

Steve needs to fire a whole bunch of people at Apple Q&A. From hardware problems to sloppy mistakes like this, things are getting pretty bad at Apple.
post #16 of 52
Alright. I applied the re-downloaded combo update and my build number still lacks the 'a'.

Could anyone who updated yesterday to 10.4.7, via software update or by downloading the delta upgrade, please post your build number?
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Alright. I applied the re-downloaded combo update and my build number still lacks the 'a'.

Could anyone who updated yesterday to 10.4.7, via software update or by downloading the delta upgrade, please post your build number?

I just downloaded from the link at macfixit.com (delta) and it gave me the
"Build 8J2135a" I checked the Checksum and it was correct for the new build.
post #18 of 52
God Bless the Guinea Pigs. We love you guys.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #19 of 52
Quote:

I upgraded at about 5:30pm pacific the day of the release, and my build number is 8J2135.

(for a MacBook Pro).
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by canadianmacguy
I upgraded at about 5:30pm pacific the day of the release, and my build number is 8J2135.

(for a MacBook Pro).

Thanks.

So, it is only those who updated via software update or by downloading the delta update that are affected.
post #21 of 52
The aritcle provided the new checksum... so use that instead of build numbers.

Per Apple's instructions at: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n75510
open Terminal and type:
/usr/bin/openssl sha1 [full path to file]
where [full path to file] is pointing at the installer dmg file in question

You have the OLD updater if the result is:
2a25ed61d586b71ba7282fb896b2c910785ff358

You have the NEW updater if the result is:
10aa57dfccd63accb0939a894cea202a8910fb45

The Combo updater is fine, it has not changed. (The result should be 15b186d5f3a2314a060df3502eda190ad31a354d)

The link on the Software Update page now goes to the NEW updater even though it isn't mentioned on the page. Go to: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1047intel.html to get it.
post #22 of 52
the "new" 133 meg. updater gives me build # 8J2135a
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
post #23 of 52
Apple had a brain fart. It does take a little getting use to you know, and remembering that we have Macs running on Intels.
post #24 of 52
This is why it pays to wait a few days, and find out what problems come with the update. There are always going to be some problems. Read Macfixit.com, and Macintouch.com to find out if they affect you. They may, and they may not.

A problem like this is universal (no pun intended) though. Everyone with an Intel machine could have a problem down the line from an Opel GL error.
post #25 of 52
So what happens if you have the original updater downloaded? My build shows 8J2135. Is it possible to still update to the 8J2135a? How to you get the fixes they forgot to update?
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool

This sounds like the kind of mistake Microsoft would make.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
There is no 'a' at the end of my build number of the standalone combo update from yesterday.

In the pursuit of knowledge, I'm re-downloading the combo update right now. I'll reinstall and see if I'm still at the same build number.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe this issue only involves files missing in the delta upgrade. I don't expect to see any change in my build number after re-applying the combo.

There isn't since (as you say) it's only the Delta upgrade that's changed.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #28 of 52
Hah! That will teach you Intel people that went Intel...!! muah haha hha hahh h aha h

Sincerely,
PowerPC.
post #29 of 52
It doesn't seem to have been a significant omission... just some tweaks to OpenGL. There have been a few updates since .7. I don't see why they had to go back and update .7 instead of just sending this out as another update.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by iPeon
Apple had a brain fart. It does take a little getting use to you know, and remembering that we have Macs running on Intels.

I gotta say this article makes me glad I'm sticking with 10.3.9 until 10.5.1 is released.

Speaking of 10.5, only one month to the WWDC!

8)
post #31 of 52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jamezog
I gotta say this article makes me glad I'm sticking with 10.3.9 until 10.5.1 is released.

Dude, get with the program 10.4.7 is where the *MAC LOVE* is at, yo. And TehSnappy(tm).... you gotta have TehSnappy, man. It's like tasty yummy melted ice cream that's still cold but like smooth and creamy. mmmmmmm
post #32 of 52
That said, you suckas can get in on 10.5.0 and work out all the bugs muah ah aha hah hahah
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by jamezog

Speaking of 10.5, only one month to the WWDC!

But you'll have to wait until 10.5.8 at least, and then 10.6 is just around the corner
JLL

JLL

post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
That said, you suckas can get in on 10.5.0 and work out all the bugs muah ah aha hah hahah

i quite liked 10.4.0, without its stupid fugley widget manager. I am going to pre-order 10.5, and put it on as soon as i can.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
But you'll have to wait until 10.5.8 at least, and then 10.6 is just around the corner

Yeah, that's the downside of Apple's frequent updates. Every time I think, "ooh, I should buy that," my next thought is "but why? I can live without it, and they're just going to release a newer version of it next year, anyway." I figure it's better (cheaper at least) to wait until my system becomes archaic, and then do a full upgrade. I will concede that that's totally uncool, and I'm sure my Mac is feeling quite neglected, but when Leopard is released, I'll be a hundred bucks smarter, 'cuz I didn't buy Tiger.

Or maybe I'm just a total miz0r-n00b...
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Hisham Samawi
So what happens if you have the original updater downloaded? My build shows 8J2135. Is it possible to still update to the 8J2135a? How to you get the fixes they forgot to update?

Just re-download it and re-apply it. It will work. Got X-Plane going from 36 to 47 fps.
post #37 of 52
The world sure has changed. Some people are so quick to pass judgement and point out the mistakes of others. OS X is a very complex combination of files, and a mistake like this is bound to happen once in a blue moon. The important thing is that they noticed it and corrected it right away. That's what matters here, grouchos.
post #38 of 52
I downloaded the delta using Software Update a few days ago, I think before Apple realized the error. So I should just download the 133MB thing in Apple's Support Site?
MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHz
MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHz
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by mheekowh
I downloaded the delta using Software Update a few days ago, I think before Apple realized the error. So I should just download the 133MB thing in Apple's Support Site?

I think so, yes.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by blackbird_1.0
I think so, yes.

Thanks!

Is there any word on pre-ordering Leopard?
MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHz
MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHz
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple re-releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 for Intel?