or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Superman Returns....Opinions?...No spoilers...

Superman Returns....Opinions?...No spoilers...

post #1 of 36
Anyone who saw Superman Returns...what did you think?

Is there anyone who absolutely hated it?

IMHO, I liked it. Maybe it was a little long, then again I had to go to the bathroom during the movie...but I didn't hate it.

I know someone who saw it and absolutely hated it. Hated everything about the movie. Don't know why. Maybe the person was just trying to be different than everyone else.

But, most of the people I saw the movie with liked it. One person had their gripes but they were the kind of gripes wher you say, It was just a movie ABOUT A SUPERHERO, how realistic is it supposed to get?
post #2 of 36
I thought it was ok. To me the movie didn't seem to have any ups or downs in it's plotline. It was just like I was sitting there watching the movie. It didn't seem to really get me into it. However, I have not seen any of the other Superman movies, so my lack of relationship with the characters probably has something to do with that.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #3 of 36
I liked it Ok but I was a little bummed that Superman accidently kills Lois, I didn't like that Lex Luther turned out to be Jimmy Olsen's real father and I think it was a big mistake to have Superman die in the end. Oh, and to have Ma and Pa Kent turn out to be aliens was just silly.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
I liked it Ok but I was a little bummed that Superman accidently kills Lois, I didn't like that Lex Luther turned out to be Jimmy Olsen's real father and I think it was a big mistake to have Superman die in the end. Oh, and to have Ma and Pa Kent turn out to be aliens was just silly.

Don't forget that lame scene where godzilla begs superman to go to the roller derby.

flick.

( go see it I thought is was a gooder. )
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox

post #6 of 36
A very good start of resurrecting the Superman franchise. Singer had a ton of ground to cover from start to finish and he did a great job. The plot was weak. But it was because of the amount of fluffy-fluff they had to write in first.

Dave
post #7 of 36
I liked it. It wasn't great, but it was good. It seemed to be a emotionally complex but intellectually simple movie... which doesn't necessarily jive with me all that well.

Parker Posey and Kevin Spacey were great :-D
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
"Its a good thing theres no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
post #8 of 36
Why didn't they use the Smallville guy? The superman in the new one looks like a dork. His hair's too long too. What good is that when you are flying faster than a speeding train? There's too much wind resistance.

Kevin Spacey's head is also too small. Lex Luthor is supposed to have a massive baldy.

I've yet to see the movie but I'm not impressed with the trailers. Some of the effects look quite bad IMO. I've seen better ones on Smallville.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the film though.
post #9 of 36
Generally liked it. Wanted to see it in IMAX 3D, but the two shows I had time to see were sold out.

Story line was ok if a little weak. Most of the FX were quite good, except some of the flying scenes had the badly done CGI appearance that Matrix Reloaded suffered from.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #10 of 36
Spoiler! (not really)

Superman's hair gel can survive re-entry. The only thing cooler than that was Lex Luthor's boat. Despite the fact that they botched some of the shading in some of the scenes, it was damn cool, and the boat animators redeemed themselves by the end of the movie.

One more time, Lex Luthor's boat fucking rocks.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #11 of 36
Yeah, it was good if you like plot holes large enough to drive a small PLANET through. Remember the kiss of forgetfulness at the end of Superman II? I guess it was a bit selective. (Hey, I didn't give anything away, really.)

Has everyone seen this whose gonna? Cuz I'd really LOVE to discuss those holes. Hmm, maybe a new thread?
The Mom
The Mom
post #12 of 36
Here's a review of Superman and a few other summer blockbusters:

post #13 of 36
That was the worst feature of Harpers for months, that cartoon.
post #14 of 36
Well I had high hopes for this movie however I didn't like it as well as I though I would. The FX were great. Flying has never looked better. However the heart of this movie seemed to be missing when compared to say the reedited version of Superman 1. Donner did a great job and probably would have been even better if it hadn't been for the Salkind's infererence.

As for Routh. It's amazing how much he sounds like Reeves in his performance.

Also I didn't think the 2 dog thing was funny or that it moved the story along in any way. No Spoilers.

I think Spacey is great as Luthor and I'm glad there was no Otis.

The problem is that some of the best parts were retreads of Superman 1 right down to some of the dialog.

It just seemed that Superman 1 had a whole lot more class.

Forget the rest of the Salkind's efforts as they fired Donner after 1 and played up the comedy ruining the franchise at that point.

I'm hoping the next one will be better.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #15 of 36
I heard the next superman movie is going to be called Superman 3000 EXTREME: Defender of the Universe
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by O-Mac
One person had their gripes but they were the kind of gripes wher you say, It was just a movie ABOUT A SUPERHERO, how realistic is it supposed to get?

So yeah, he can fly, move fast, heat things with his eye etc. BUT I don't wanna see a plane shoot to the ground when it's in low to zero gravity.

I really wanted to like this movie, have liked the X-Mens, the Spidermans, and the recent Batman Begins, but this had little soul, and as stated lots of things happen that have already happened way too many times before in the Superman universe.

Not to mention the fact that although this is done by WB as Smallville is, the one reference to Clark's past goes against the whole series of Smallville. I know it's all written by different people, but come on! This is all meant to be the same world. (Forgetting the obvious leap in technology from Lois and Clark to Smallville, which happens before it...)
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
.....BUT I don't wanna see a plane shoot to the ground when it's in low to zero gravity.....

Well I was going to wait to see this when it comes out on DVD but I don't know if I can wait now. THEY HAVE AIRPLANES FLYING ON THE MOON???
"Gawd, even white trash feel sorry for me."
"That's true, that's very very true."
post #18 of 36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dac0nvu
Well I was going to wait to see this when it comes out on DVD but I don't know if I can wait now. THEY HAVE AIRPLANES FLYING ON THE MOON???

We can really explain this bit, could be considered a spoiler. PM me or someone else who has watched it. If you really really want to know before watching the show.

So, BTW, I liked the emotion part of it and nostalgic bits of my childhood. I went in with low expectations and was quite satisfied by the end. This is all given I do not watch Smallville.
post #19 of 36
I wasn't so disappinted since I don't watch Smallville 90210 either. It is what it is; a Superman movie.
post #20 of 36
when are they going to make a superfriends movie?
post #21 of 36
post #22 of 36
Superman Returns was pretty good.

But the best part of that movie was during the previews, when it had a teaser for Spider-Man 3. The entire group I went with stood up and applauded after that trailer.

For those who missed it, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p...ider-man_3/hd/

LOVE those movies, and this looks to be the best yet.

(And btw, Pirates SUCKED. AWFULLY. HORRIBLY. It needs to go dig a HOLE. a BIG hole. And HIDE. HIDE for a long, LONG time......)
"How fortunate are you and I.."
post #23 of 36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by turnwrite
But the best part of that movie was during the previews, when it had a teaser for Spider-Man 3. The entire group I went with stood up and applauded after that trailer.

Cool. I see you like hanging out with Nerds.
post #24 of 36
Heh. Just saw the Spiderman3 trailer. It's like it's Spiderman vs Venom..! But he is Venom himself. Whoa Interestingly, that's how Venom started - first with Spiderman suit becoming the Venom suit... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_%28comics%29

Here's a short blurb in Wikipedia about the movie, may be old news now but anyway:

"Spider-Man 3 (2007)
Promotional images for Spider-Man 3 have confirmed that Spider-Man will have the black symbiote costume in this film. Topher Grace has also been confirmed as Eddie Brock. Sony has confirmed that Venom will appear in this film as the company has released a wallpaper of Eddie Brock transforming into Venom. A special trailer, shown at Comic Con 2006, ended with the first fully CGI rendered Venom dropping onto all fours before the camera zooms in on his gaping mouth. Testimony from those who viewed this say that Venom was exactly like he was in the comics: a large, slobbering creature with his tongue and trademark toothy grin. He has been described as mostly resembling McFarlane's Venom."
post #25 of 36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Outsider
I wasn't so disappinted since I don't watch Smallville 90210 either. It is what it is; a Superman movie.

Heh, I agree, without referring to Smallville in too derogatory a way
post #26 of 36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by danielctull
...BUT I don't wanna see a plane shoot to the ground when it's in low to zero gravity.

Orbital decay Except that it occurs within a few minutes and the de-orbit occurs really really fast too. If we were on the real life Space Shuttle timeline of returning to earth, that sequence would be 1 hour long. (Note: the above is not generally considered a spoiler, though you'll say "Oh, that's WTF they were talkin' about" when you see the movie.)
post #27 of 36
I wonder if they'll make a Batman Begins sequel. (Batman.... Comes Back?) That movie was INCREDIBLE.

I think that with the Superman thing, what happened was they did a really good job of just a bad idea. The movie was DONE really well, but Superman is just a dumb idea. I mean, it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever LOSE. He's just too powerful. And the Super-Breath scene was rather... erm... ODD.

I looked all over online for that Spider-man 3 trailer you were talking about, sunilraman, but it seems all the copies of it have been removed from sites, due to "copyright infringement." Ugh. Stupid LAWS.

And yes, nerd friends are just so FUN....
post #28 of 36
I wonder if they'll make a Batman Begins sequel. (Batman.... Comes Back?)

Interesting. Where would he have dissapeared to? To "find himself" again after getting his ass majorly kicked by some bad guy and losing a loved one? Maybe Alfred the butler also dies and Bruce Wayne's all torn up, sells the mansion and gets rid of the BatCave and BatMobile. Upon returning, comes back more badass, sets up new BatCave, no more mansion... BatCave is deep underground WayneTower in the city or something - kinda like Fantastic Four's "underground skyscraper" - that was cool. BatMobile is kinda a BMW 5-series with a killer bodykit and alloys. At night it converts to a real badass, but still BMW-recognisable BatMobile And you gotta have some Bat-Bullet Time happening in "Batman Reborn"....!

I looked all over online for that Spider-man 3 trailer you were talking about...

This was the trailer I saw
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p.../spider-man_3/
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by turnwrite
I wonder if they'll make a Batman Begins sequel. (Batman.... Comes Back?) That movie was INCREDIBLE.

It's called The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger plays the Joker.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Ra
It's called The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger plays the Joker.

Any idea if this is a remake of the 1989 Batman movie or is it that the Joker somehow comes back (to life?) and it's a brand new story? I couldn't tell from the description.
post #31 of 36
Batman Begins started a whole new story. The Dark Knight is a sequel.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra

Batman Begins started a whole new story. The Dark Knight is a sequel.

Yeah, I know Batman Begins is a whole new story, but the Joker supposedly died in the 1989 Batman. So I guess the Joker has come back to life for this sequel???
post #33 of 36
*shakes head*

*ahem* Batman Begins started a whole new story.
post #34 of 36
Well I just saw Superman last night. The short version is I thought it was excellent. In particular:

Routh was superb. There were times I liked him better than Reeve.

The visual effects were generally very good. There were a few scenes of the new continent's destruction that I thought looked, well, fake. The flying scenes were extremely well done, and the airplane scene was perhaps the best in the film.

I even liked Kate Bosworth. It seemed to me that she made no attempt to compete with Kidder's take on the role. In constrast, Routh went for a Reeve-like performance. Both approaches worked in my opinion.

The film was intense from an emotional standpoint. I found I was engrossed in it, which is something that happens less and less for me over the years. A few nights before I saw Pirates II, and while it was decent, I definitely had that "I'm just watching a movie" feeling that another poster alluded to above.

Now, there were some things I didn't like:

Small effects problems (one scene with the seaplane looked like it was scaled incorrectly)

I really wasn't thrilled with Kevin Spacey. He was good, but not at his best. I found him too reserved.

There wasn't enough character development for Parker Posey. I wanted to see her do something more dramatic in reaction to Luthor's attempt to kill superman and in reaction to his plot.

Overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 4 stars. By comparison, I'd give Pirates 2.5. That's just a comparison of how I rate movies personally, not a comparison of the films themselves.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra

*shakes head*

*ahem* Batman Begins started a whole new story.

Let me give it a shot, Ra...

dac0nvu, the new movies have nothing to do with the old ones. They're not prequels or sequels to the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher movies, they are a *complete do over*. They're starting from scratch. Batman Begins was the start of an entirely new set of movies with a new continuity. Forget everything you saw in the earlier movies, as far as the new ones are concerned, none of it happened.

And that's a good thing.

On topic: Saw SR a couple weeks ago, I liked it overall much more than I expected I would. Agreed that Posey and Spacey were underutilized. I really didn't ever get Bosworth though - she didn't draw me in to the character in the least. *shrug*
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001

Well I just saw Superman last night. The short version is I thought it was excellent. In particular:

Routh was superb. There were times I liked him better than Reeve.

The visual effects were generally very good. There were a few scenes of the new continent's destruction that I thought looked, well, fake. The flying scenes were extremely well done, and the airplane scene was perhaps the best in the film.

I even liked Kate Bosworth. It seemed to me that she made no attempt to compete with Kidder's take on the role. In constrast, Routh went for a Reeve-like performance. Both approaches worked in my opinion.

The film was intense from an emotional standpoint. I found I was engrossed in it, which is something that happens less and less for me over the years. A few nights before I saw Pirates II, and while it was decent, I definitely had that "I'm just watching a movie" feeling that another poster alluded to above.

Now, there were some things I didn't like:

Small effects problems (one scene with the seaplane looked like it was scaled incorrectly)

I really wasn't thrilled with Kevin Spacey. He was good, but not at his best. I found him too reserved.

There wasn't enough character development for Parker Posey. I wanted to see her do something more dramatic in reaction to Luthor's attempt to kill superman and in reaction to his plot.

Overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 4 stars. By comparison, I'd give Pirates 2.5. That's just a comparison of how I rate movies personally, not a comparison of the films themselves.

I like the emotion of the movie and Kate Bosworth was interesting definitely. Routh was channeling the late Reeves very well, and flying scenes were nice, especially whenever Superman has to go above the earth (both to chill a bit and also to soak up energy from the sun).

I thought most effects were very decent, but I did not really like the air/shuttle sequence, except for the later parts of it.

Kevin Spacey was alright, overall I was mostly enthralled by the HOW THE HELL does Superman decide who and what and where to save? "I hear everything" he says....

Also, it has IMHO *romance* in a superhero story that kinda works.

Oh, it was kinda nostalgic, from the title sequence to the shirt-ripping part. Brings back some vague memories of when I was a little kid and went and saw Superman with my parents.

And yeah I don't watch Smallville 90210 as I mentioned previously, I think.

BTW Pirates was a theme-ride style thingo. Not sure what they were doing with the plot. It was a swashbuckling, adventure, like-you're-there kind of visual theme ride. Don't expect too much and you'll enjoy it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Superman Returns....Opinions?...No spoilers...