or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces $899 education iMac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces $899 education iMac - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by initiator
There are NO supplies of eMacs available anywhere. When I called Apple Education, they only had refurbs, and those were only available to educational buyers (not individual education sales).

I was hoping to nab one of the last eMacs with a Superdrive, but there are NONE to be found. Every website I visit (even those that say they have stock) have no stock. Talk about scarce. I know I shouldn't have waited, but I was still hoping. Anyone know where I can find a new one?

They are probably holding onto their refurbished units to make sure schools can get replacements of the same machine for the service life of the computers, especially for labs where they might want to keep all the computers identical.

Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Oh, by the way, we might take notice of the fact that it's WEDNESDAY!!!

So much for Tuesday only intro's, that some keep insisting upon. Remember this for future arguments.

For the record, it doesn't matter to me what day it's announced. I would call it an exception because of the holiday. It doesn't make sense to announce on a holiday.
post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by initiator
"The eMac will no longer be in production and is available for purchase while supplies last through the Apple Store for Education or by calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL."

FYI

There are NO supplies of eMacs available anywhere. When I called Apple Education, they only had refurbs, and those were only available to educational buyers (not individual education sales).

I was hoping to nab one of the last eMacs with a Superdrive, but there are NONE to be found. Every website I visit (even those that say they have stock) have no stock. Talk about scarce. I know I shouldn't have waited, but I was still hoping. Anyone know where I can find a new one?

Sooo.....

Will there be a temporarily increased desire for these machines created that will float the price for a small amount of time? IOW, is the time to put a few on eBay NOW? ASAP methinks? (they ain't worth that much used, ANYWAY).

gc
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Oh, by the way, we might take notice of the fact that it's WEDNESDAY!!!

So much for Tuesday only intro's, that some keep insisting upon. Remember this for future arguments.

Apple didn't announce it on fourth of July because it's a National Holiday.

Remember that in your future arguments.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by macbear01
Just looking at the simple specs under the pricing at the store...

17" 1.83 GHz Duo and 17" 1.83 GHz Duo (same)
$899 edu vs. $1199 edu/$1299 standard
80 GB HDD vs. 160 GB HDD
Combo Drive vs. Dual-Layer Super Drive
Intel GMA Graphics (64 MB shared) vs. ATI x1600 (128 MB dedicated)
No Bluetooth vs. Bluetooth
No Remote vs. Apple Remote

Does that account for $300?

Also, 2x256MB RAM vs. 1x512MB (which I assume leaves a slot open for expansion).
post #45 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by ApplePi
Looks nice. May actually pick one up with my student loan. But I don't start school till the end of September. Hopefully the free nano deal is still going by then. But I doubt it.

FYI, from Apple Education site:
http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/?c...20060530-8EBFY
Free iPod with purchase is valid through September 16

(unless they extend it...)
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by xsmi
I too agree that this machine will be fine for most classrooms...

Re. the specs and price on this new Edu model, I concur that this should be fine for the classroom. It really looks like an excellent value.

FYI, I have been in classrooms equipped with the older 15" iMacs (iLamps) g4s, and they worked adequately (though a tad slow) for WP, GoLive even PhotoShop CS.
So there should be no problems with using this new iMac with larger 17", and with faster processor (even noting you will be in Rosetta emulation mode for Adobe for now).

Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
Do you all think this release precludes the possibility of a new eMac?

Re. any more Education channel models, I remember reading some news analysis a month or so ago indicating that Apple's primary Education model was rather late/behind its introduction schedule and might not make it to market till late fall, early winter -- which would have meant they missed the entire back-to-school buying market. Not good.

So my guess is they grabbed a basic iMac 17 and tweaked it to conform to Academic needs criteria so that they'd be sure to have a decent and available model in stock for Back To School season.

Definitely the right move to have a decent machine ready to buy.
And my guess is there will be more education offerings down the road a bit.
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
post #47 of 94
I doubt that this is actually a special iMac, its screams Mac Mini in an iMac case. Hence the integrated graphics.

I would bet that this practically the same MB as the mini with slight component changes for the built in screen and SATA connection.

What do you think?
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by jbaker78
I doubt that this is actually a special iMac, its screams Mac Mini in an iMac case. Hence the integrated graphics.

I would bet that this practically the same MB as the mini with slight component changes for the built in screen and SATA connection.

What do you think?

It's an iMac without a dedicated graphics card. The other iMacs already come with integrated graphics on the chipset; it's just unused.

The Mac mini is far more different from this iMac than the other iMacs are from it.
post #49 of 94
Ah yeah, the iMac does have integrated graphics already... damn, thought I was onto something there.
post #50 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Apple will likely sell this machine to the general public as well, if the outcry is loud enough (if they aren't already!).

But how does one outcry? I have no idea how to go about complaining to apple to release it to the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #51 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Oh, by the way, we might take notice of the fact that it's WEDNESDAY!!!

So much for Tuesday only intro's, that some keep insisting upon. Remember this for future arguments.

Like others said yesterday was the 4th.

But it's funny because AL had something about a possible 4th of july intro of something and...here we are. Once again this site is on the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #52 of 94
Arg! Once again my old predictions were close but not perfect:

Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
17"
anywhere from 80-120 3.5" 7200rpm hd
intel gma 950 graphics
1.66 core duo
2gb ram max (512 2x 256 standard)
no isight
no bluetooth
no wireless?

799-899
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #53 of 94
Perhaps the iMac will become the eMac and a new iMac is on the works..!
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Zenga
Perhaps the iMac will become the eMac and a new iMac is on the works..!

That is pretty much what happened last time. But as I have been saying for a while I think Apple has all new designs for all their products now that they are on intel. I think keeping the same cases for the beginning of the transition was so Mac users would feel like these were all familiar Mac products. I think it worked, and they can now move on.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #55 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by backtomac
I think that unless a school was doing a lot of video editing this would be an excellent machine. I'm sure there are some teachers who visit the forum who can comment on typical usage of computers in class.

This is actually great news for my school.

I work for the techonology department of a high school, and we upgraded one of our two computer labs with about 40 new eMacs (1.42Ghz) about a month and a half ago. Both labs had iMacs (circa 1999-2000) running Tiger. The school wanted to squeeze every bit of use out of these machines, but this was a Total nightmare. The computers were so slow running anything that it actually antagonized many of the faculty/kids (mostly Windows XP users at home). I had to explain that yes, these computers suck, but that's because they're so old! Even the eMacs are a considerable improvement, but we waited to update the other lab in order to see if Apple would release an educational intel based iMac/eMac, so at least one of the labs will get these machines.

As a sidenote, our library has about 30 Dells running Windows XP (the catalogue system is XP only). All of these PCs are being replaced with iMacs, but my boss hasn't decided wether to install XP via Bootcamp or have the catalog run on XP through parallels. So we will probably not have any PC hardware to support this September. Good times Sucks having to still pay for all those Windows licenses, though.
post #56 of 94
Has to be an "iMac with SuperDrive" to qualify for the free iPod nano.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Young
FYI, from Apple Education site:
http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/?c...20060530-8EBFY
Free iPod with purchase is valid through September 16

(unless they extend it...)
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #57 of 94
For those counting pennies figuring how much the iMac could come down in price let's not forget that since Apple went to the LCD monitors for the iMac the price of those monitors have come down considerably in price, and should drop more by the end of the year. 17" LCD panels are now going for under $200 with incentives when the 17" Cinima was going for $699 when it was discontinued, I think that was about the time that the FP G4 iMac was released (17" LCD's were running about $400-500 at the time as I recall). Sure Apple has added a lot to the iMac since then, but most of it is not really needed for a low end model. Apple could probably release a $999 iMac today if they wanted to. I don't see this happening but Apple has gone on record that they wanted to get the price of the iMac back down below $1000. Of course that was a few years ago and before the Mini was released.
post #58 of 94
comparing iMac models

interesting that they kept the remote function.

Quote:
Front Row and the Apple Remote Your World at Your Fingertips

Or across the room. In a lab or classroom, why should a desktop computer strap you to the desk? iMac includes Apples new Front Row software, a simple and intuitive way to get to photos, videos, music and DVDs even Keynote presentations. The Apple Remote is as easy to use as an iPod, and it can control one iMac or a whole room full of them, with one simple click

from here
post #59 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
For the record, it doesn't matter to me what day it's announced. I would call it an exception because of the holiday. It doesn't make sense to announce on a holiday.

I don't care either, but quite a few people here were insisting that the next intro would be Next Tuesday because of the holiday.
post #60 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Apple didn't announce it on fourth of July because it's a National Holiday.

Remember that in your future arguments.

Yeah, yeah. Read all the posts that predicted that because of the holidy, the next intro would be next Tuesday. Remember that?
post #61 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by jbaker78
Ah yeah, the iMac does have integrated graphics already... damn, thought I was onto something there.

That's ok, keep trying.
post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
But how does one outcry? I have no idea how to go about complaining to apple to release it to the public.

Well, that might not have been the best word to use, but I like it.

Basically, by going into an Apple store and asking for it. The word gets back. It happened with the eMac. I suppose that's the way. After enough people ask, Apple will respond (hopefully).
post #63 of 94
would you not think that after the success of the eMac with consumers that apple would be smart enough to release it
post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by furious_
would you not think that after the success of the eMac with consumers that apple would be smart enough to release it

Stupid enough, you mean.

The iMac G4 was overpriced and performance crippled.
That way iMac sales where well below exceptations so Apple needed a way to boost Mac sales.

That's not the case anymore. The iMac sells very well, these days.
And a $300-$400 premium is not something Apple will give up for some whinning cheapskates.

We'll see faster iMacs soon.
So Apple can justify the ultra steep price difference between the 17" iMac consumer edition and its educational counterpart.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #65 of 94
why can it not replace the Mac Mini?

it has poor sales, crippled performance, and is over priced.

and the contempt you show for people who would rather save money and get a machine that better suits their need is amusing.

the mini misses its target market buy about 200$ and the iMac about the same. i use dells becasue they offer me price and performance that is second to none. i also do not pay for them

i would buy a edu iMac as it offers me everything i need:

- fast
- reliable
- no Grahics card: i fit into the 90% of computer uses that would not need now or ever a grahics card(as i only use accounting software)
- good price

but i do not pay for computers and am not a student/ education buyer so i miss out.

P.S. all prices are in AU dollars

edit: dells are reliable; the dell i am on now is 4 years old and never had a problem.
post #66 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Schools don't want the capability for wireless Bluetooth on many machines. The idea is to lock the machines down, operationally. Bluetooth would be a nucience. By Apple removing the upgradability, they lose nothing, and save some in component, assembly, and testing costs.

Yeah, but it's available to students as well as administration. Students are actually very likely to want Bluetooth capability in their machines. This is why I wonder why Bluetooth isn't an option. I'm not asking for it to be standard.

Plus, schools don't necessarily need 802.11g wireless networking in a desktop machine either. They usually have Ethernet ports running into the lab. But this machine seems to have that.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
post #67 of 94
Yeah, the lack of BTO options for Bluetooth and a SuperDrive is unfortunate.
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by gar


We'll see faster iMacs soon.
So Apple can justify the ultra steep price difference between the 17" iMac consumer edition and its educational counterpart.

I agree. Hopefully Conroe iMacs before the end of the month.
post #69 of 94
Quote:
The iMac G4 was overpriced and performance crippled.

why can it not replace the Mac Mini?
it has poor sales, crippled performance, and is over priced.

You guys throw the word crippled around a lot, can we describe what crippled means for context.

In context of its intended market how was the iMac G4 crippled? The iMac line has been Apple's most successful computers.

You can certainly make an argument for the Mac mini not including a keyboard or mouse as being crippled, but you know that when you buy it. Apple does not want the mini to sell as well as the iMac.
post #70 of 94
Teno it's "obvious" to me that my Honda is crippled because they didn't put the Acura NSX engine in it

seriously though I believe a product is "crippled" when it has the ability to do more and is purposely diminished. Such as if I have an ethernet nic that could do gigabit but was limited to fast ethernet for no apparent reason.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by initiator
BTW: I don't like LCD. I'm old school...prefer CRTs.

Then you'd better hope that SED technology pans out in a few years, and that they decide to make panels small enough to use for desktop & laptop computers.
post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesS
Yeah, but it's available to students as well as administration. Students are actually very likely to want Bluetooth capability in their machines. This is why I wonder why Bluetooth isn't an option. I'm not asking for it to be standard.

Plus, schools don't necessarily need 802.11g wireless networking in a desktop machine either. They usually have Ethernet ports running into the lab. But this machine seems to have that.

If students want Bluetooth in their own machines, then they will just have to buy the regular model. Apple doesn't have to supply that ability. This is a price constrained model. Once they start adding the missing features back, or even the capability to add them, the price will start creeping up again.
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Teno it's "obvious" to me that my Honda is crippled because they didn't put the Acura NSX engine in it

seriously though I believe a product is "crippled" when it has the ability to do more and is purposely diminished. Such as if I have an ethernet nic that could do gigabit but was limited to fast ethernet for no apparent reason.

By that definition, Apple has crippled products, but the mini doesn't seem to count by the same definition. The old iMac, G4 and first few revisions of G5, were technically capable of dual head operation, but was set to only provide mirroring, only corrected as of the G5 /w iSight and later. Many iPods have the capability in the hardware to record audio, but it requires either a hack, such as Linux for iPod, or an add-on device, to turn it on.
post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
By that definition, Apple has crippled products, but the mini doesn't seem to count by the same definition. The old iMac, G4 and first few revisions of G5, were technically capable of dual head operation, but was set to only provide mirroring, only corrected as of the G5 /w iSight and later. Many iPods have the capability in the hardware to record audio, but it requires either a hack, such as Linux for iPod, or an add-on device, to turn it on.

This discussion about "crippled" products will go nowhere. All products are crippled, except the very top of the line, by these definitions.

All companies have to have several lines of products. Often, it is cheaper to use some of the same components, but they then have to disable certain features. This is quite normal.

As long as the product doesn't subject the user to a small subset of programs, or hardware add-ons, as the old Pc jr. did, then it's fine.
post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
This discussion about "crippled" products will go nowhere. All products are crippled, except the very top of the line, by these definitions.

All companies have to have several lines of products. Often, it is cheaper to use some of the same components, but they then have to disable certain features. This is quite normal.

As long as the product doesn't subject the user to a small subset of programs, or hardware add-ons, as the old Pc jr. did, then it's fine.

I don't know, the top of the line iPod can't record audio, so there's no more expensive product to protect.

Frankly, their old habit of disabling second head feature on iMac was truly ludicrous given that it's not going to canibalize the market for higher end products, and that it's an awfully expensive computer to be mirror-only.
post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Frankly, their old habit of disabling second head feature on iMac was truly ludicrous given that it's not going to canibalize the market for higher end products, and that it's an awfully expensive computer to be mirror-only.

How many iMac users are there that would want to run an ugly second monitor next to their beautiful iMac though?

Not many I'd guess. You buy an iMac because you don't want the bulk.

Sure, deliberately disabling the feature is stupid but I can't imagine it's a feature that gets used a lot.
post #77 of 94
I don't like what Apple is doing. They release yet another machine with bad graphics before they fixed the hardware problems in MacBooks. Believe me, I hate to say this, but I don't see any quality advantage of Apple products over PCs anymore. I'd say current products are of worse quality than PCs. Apple is trying to save the last penny in the production pipeline. I don't like this. Moving from PPC to Intel is not an excuse for also lowering the quality.

I'm impatient to see what they do with the Mac Mini now. Perhaps they'll will even drop the Intel graphics in it, and release a Mini without any graphics at all, just to save a few dollars. A shame.
post #78 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
How many iMac users are there that would want to run an ugly second monitor next to their beautiful iMac though?

Not many I'd guess. You buy an iMac because you don't want the bulk.

Sure, deliberately disabling the feature is stupid but I can't imagine it's a feature that gets used a lot.

Why do you say it has to be an ugly monitor? Sounds like a red herring argument to me. Not everyone is so vain. Besides, I've heard that one can connect an LCD monitor up to one of these things, even this Apple company sells some if you must have brand matching.
post #79 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by ecs
I don't like what Apple is doing. They release yet another machine with bad graphics before they fixed the hardware problems in MacBooks. Believe me, I hate to say this, but I don't see any quality advantage of Apple products over PCs anymore. I'd say current products are of worse quality than PCs. Apple is trying to save the last penny in the production pipeline. I don't like this. Moving from PPC to Intel is not an excuse for also lowering the quality.

I'm impatient to see what they do with the Mac Mini now. Perhaps they'll will even drop the Intel graphics in it, and release a Mini without any graphics at all, just to save a few dollars. A shame.

Based on what relevant data? Do you have access to thousand of sales of both platforms and their return rate percentages? If not then what you say is tantamount to a Wild Ass Guess.

Before the MBP and MB you had a G4 processor with a 167Ghz bus. I'm struggling...and I mean strugglinng to see how quality has diminished in anyway. The MB employs a more solid feel than any other laptop I've seen at the same pricepoint. Sony Vaio's are nice but they don't necessarily "feel" all that durable.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Why do you say it has to be an ugly monitor? Sounds like a red herring argument to me. Not everyone is so vain. Besides, I've heard that one can connect an LCD monitor up to one of these things, even this Apple company sells some if you must have brand matching.

They're silver though. Clashes horribly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces $899 education iMac