or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces $899 education iMac

Apple introduces $899 education iMac - Page 3

post #81 of 94
Downgrading an existing machine and calling it "Educational" so it can be sold for ~$300 cheaper is silly.

Apple wanted to capture the school purchasing cycle, but didn't have a new, separate design to offer.

Analyze it more than that and you're wasting your time. boooring.
post #82 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by ulyssespdx
Downgrading an existing machine and calling it "Educational" so it can be sold for ~$300 cheaper is silly.

Apple wanted to capture the school purchasing cycle, but didn't have a new, separate design to offer.

Why would it be silly? Students have books and tuition to pay for the $300 savings is key. Most of the items that were stripped can have the functionality added later. There was no reason to develop an entirely different computer for education use.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #83 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
You guys throw the word crippled around a lot, can we describe what crippled means for context.

In context of its intended market how was the iMac G4 crippled? The iMac line has been Apple's most successful computers.

The iMac line yes, the iBook sold better than the the iMac G4, iirc.

It sold much worse than it should.
- 15" TFT prices did go up instead of down, like Apple had anticipated. So Apple had to add $100 to the list price.
- The iMac also didn't have a processor upgrade for 13 months!!!
Looks pretty crippled to me.

It had also to do with the Motorola's G4 successor that didn't work as hoped (it had some thermal and exploding issues) and the project eventually got cancelled in the spring of 2002.
(These are 4.5 years old rumours, etc. so don't ask for facts or links because I can't provide those.)
So Apple had to rely on the G4 for more than 18 months before they could introduce the ppc970.
(And 31 months before they could introduce the iMacG5)
Quote:
You can certainly make an argument for the Mac mini not including a keyboard or mouse as being crippled, but you know that when you buy it.

Indeed. But not because of the keyboard and mouse.
Quote:
Apple does not want the mini to sell as well as the iMac.

Indeed.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #84 of 94
Quote:

Why should they introduce a new design if they have a good one on the shelf.
This is way cheaper than designing and building an entier new computer case for a couple of tens of thousand computers.

Apple did exactly the thing we expected:
iMac design sans dedicated GPU.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by jaydfwtx
This makes the price of the mac mini look horribly overpriced! Hopefully this system will eventually be available to everyone, as it is a great value.

The $599 Mac Mini should be made dual core ASAP. As is, its an obvious rip-off. The Solo should not appear in any Mac.
post #86 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
The Solo should not appear in any Mac.

Why's that then?

Why not give the $599 a Duo and make the current Solo version $499?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #87 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. H
Why's that then?

Because its performance may lead folks new to macs to think that all macs suck.
Would you buy a Mini Solo for only $100 less than a Mini Duo?
post #88 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
Because its performance may lead folks new to macs to think that all macs suck.
Would you buy a Mini Solo for only $100 less than a Mini Duo?

I think you should give buyers more credit. There are plenty of people who will happily choose lower performance to save money. The Solo is not a poor performing processor; it is by no means at the bottom of Intel's range and is still significantly faster than the preceding G4 processor.

For some people, that extra $100 can be a deal-breaker.
post #89 of 94
Quote:
I think you should give buyers more credit. There are plenty of people who will happily choose lower performance to save money. The Solo is not a poor performing processor; it is by no means at the bottom of Intel's range and is still significantly faster than the preceding G4 processor.

For some people, that extra $100 can be a deal-breaker.

that's what the retail market is all about, SJ knows his market and his target, for those that internet, email, etc hey the .9 g4 works great, that's what my wife has, and you need an entry level unit for this purpose, soooo what's the most intense thing would this level of consumer do??? it certainly is an upgrade for my wife's needs. most present pc's are way too much for 90% of consumer level buyers that mini probably does a better job with ebay than my wifes ibook, and can run some windows programs...get me two
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #90 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
They're silver though. Clashes horribly.

Ugh!
post #91 of 94
Quote:
Why's that then?

why not $300, Dell can ship a unit like that with a 17 inch display at that rate!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #92 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
why not $300, Dell can ship a unit like that with a 17 inch display at that rate!

Not in a 'mini' size.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #93 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by ecs
I don't like what Apple is doing. They release yet another machine with bad graphics before they fixed the hardware problems in MacBooks.

What does one what to with the other? Macbook isn't an imac and the same people don't work on both.

Steve Jobs: Who are you what do you do here? What are you doing?

Employee: I'm a desktop computer hardware designer I'm designing an educational imac like I was hired to do.

Steve Jobs: What? Fuck that, get your ass over to the macbooks and fix their problems.

Employee: Sir, that's not really my...

Steve Jobs: I remember telling not asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #94 of 94
Quote:

Hey, why don't you go look at the old emac. And then go look at the old imac. Oh hell I'll do if for you:

Shit your right apple DID have a nice, new separate design to offer last time, and this time are just lazy bastards. Assholes with their boring product releases.
Quote:

Quote:

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces $899 education iMac