or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's new iPod nano may sport metal jacket

Apple's new iPod nano may sport metal jacket

post #1 of 32
The next generation of Apple Computer's iPod nano digital music player may dip into the iPod mini's wardrobe, AppleInsider has learned.

In an effort to reduce the player's susceptibility to scratches, Apple has been experimenting with aluminum anodized enclosures similar to those used in the company's iPod mini digital music players, sources familiar with the company's music plans have said.

In what Apple chief executive Steve Jobs called a major gamble, the company last September did away with its aluminum enclosed iPod mini, replacing the player with the ulta-thin polycarbonate-coated iPod nano.

However, the nano almost immediately faced intense scrutiny after a significant number of users began to complain that the front surface of their players easily became scratched or marred during ordinary use. Several lawsuits were later filed against Apple as a result of the scratches.

According to sources, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is so far believed to have committed to the transition away from the nano's polycarbonate-coated shell and towards aluminum enclosures. The new enclosures are expected to debut in color variations similar to those used with the iPod mini, these sources added.

Aside from the enclosure change, the new nanos are expected to sport relatively the same form factor as the existing iPod nano -- about three inches tall and a fourth of an inch thin.

Sources also added that Apple is expected to scale the new player's storage capacity up to 8GB when it makes its debut later this fall.
post #2 of 32
nice. i'd love to see a bigger capacity nano, slightly smaller in size and alu.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #3 of 32
So, 8Gb, same small size, wont scratch and various colors. Sign me and about another 10 million up.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 32
maybe it will be the same material as the MBP
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by iPickle06
maybe it will be the same material as the MBP

cheese?

aluminum is aluminum unless you are talking about the new enclosures, which are rumored to be a fine Roquefort blue cheese.
post #6 of 32
Obligitory:

FMJ-2006

"gomer" gets an upgrade!

fire watchman "is that loaded"
"gomer": 0.08 TB, ipod nano, full metal jacket!
Enter Hartman...
Hartman: put the ipod on the deck and turn off the Britney Spears music NOW!

"Gomer" doesnt comply

Hartman: What is your major malfunction numbnuts? Did your mom not buy you an iMac as a child?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Obligitory:

FMJ-2006

"gomer" gets an upgrade!

Enter Hartman...

"Gomer" doesnt comply

Hartman: What is your major malfunction numbnuts? Did your mom not buy you an iMac as a child?

Ouch!

The moral of the story: Do Not Kill With iPod nano
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Obligitory:

FMJ-2006

"gomer" gets an upgrade!

Enter Hartman...

"Gomer" doesnt comply

Totally!!!11
post #9 of 32
If it gets an upgraded capacity and a cool case which doesn't scratch I'll dump my Zen Micro and get it. I want something small and cool and about 6GB to hold my music. Video would be a bonus, and I hope with the rumoured aluminium case it doesn't get any thicker.
post #10 of 32
i wonder if it will look exactly like the old mini form factor with flat top, just really thin like the nano, other wise it would be hard to put aluminum around the whole thing cost wise. or would it just have an aluminum front and back? idk.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferali
i wonder if it will look exactly like the old mini form factor with flat top, just really thin like the nano, other wise it would be hard to put aluminum around the whole thing cost wise. or would it just have an aluminum front and back? idk.

most likely two alu cases pressed together...first early adopters slice fingers and sue apple for nano damages.
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ferali

Actually aluminum over the whole thing would cost less then existing stainless on the back. (let's just say I used to be involved with steel)
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by sandau
most likely two alu cases pressed together...first early adopters slice fingers and sue apple for nano damages.

I hear the new case doubles as a cheese grater.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Actually aluminum over the whole thing would cost less then existing stainless on the back. (let's just say I used to be involved with steel)

Definetly. 303 SS or 304 SS is indeed more expensive. Yay for engineering.
David W.
The University of Texas at Austin
Mechanical Engineering | LBJ School of Public Affairs
www.davidwogan.us
David W.
The University of Texas at Austin
Mechanical Engineering | LBJ School of Public Affairs
www.davidwogan.us
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
So, 8Gb, same small size, wont scratch and various colors. Sign me and about another 10 million up.

C'mon, Apple, get it out before Sept. 16!!!!
post #16 of 32
When the mini appeared, I really hoped that the next iPod would take its calls from it, not the other way around. The aluminum mini is far, far more durable than the delicate case of the nano and the video iPod... my 2-year-old mini still looks better than my 9-month old nano.
OMG GROVE RAT'S A KILLJOY OMG!
OMG GROVE RAT'S A KILLJOY OMG!
post #17 of 32
I thought it was the screen of the nano that scratched, not the case itself. How would changing the case materials affect screen scratches?
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I thought it was the screen of the nano that scratched, not the case itself. How would changing the case materials affect screen scratches?

My iPod Video scratches all over the whole body... not just the screen. I assume the new nano will still scratch on the screen (just as every ipod since the beginning), but the body will remain untouched.
post #19 of 32
I can see the ad now... FULL METAL NANO.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
I can see the ad now... FULL METAL NANO.

Yup, I posted the ad copy this morning
post #21 of 32
I thought they might do something like this!

From June 22:

Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
What the hell would a nano redesign even look like? Thiner? Colours again? I really don't see what they can change.

Maybe an ipod nano sized mini?

It's pretty much the only logical thought path, combine two of the best selling products and add a couple features.

I hope it plays video, and I really REALLY hope they do go with the alu colours in 2,4,8gb capacities (crosses fingers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #22 of 32
Curious, going back to colors... just when they got the white/black/aluminum thing goin' on across both iPods and Macs.

The wheel goes 'round and 'round, I s'pose.
post #23 of 32
I hope they do use the same metal that was used for the iPod mini because I liked the way it looked and felt. I just hope they bring back the green color, or even blue as long as it is a dark blue.
post #24 of 32
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TimUSCA
My iPod Video scratches all over the whole body... not just the screen. I assume the new nano will still scratch on the screen (just as every ipod since the beginning), but the body will remain untouched.

Nope Do not be tempted to compare the iPod mini to any other iPod or the MacBookPro/ PowerBook.

Any iPod mini owner will confirm this: It is by far the most durable iPod Apple has EVER created.. It is a masterpiece of materials engineering. The surface, the weight, the aluminium - remains highly durable and nearly flawless even after years of use. The screen is one of the most scratch-proof screens EVER designed for a handheld device. The scrollwheel accumulates some dirt after use, but just go over it with an eraser to restore the whiteness of the scrollwheel.

Now, that said, unfortunately my iPod mini battery has decided to die about 2-4 months after the warranty expired. However, as a 4gb firewire drive it still works excellence.
post #25 of 32
Please. Please. Please.....let it be black anodized aluminum.
post #26 of 32
[QUOTE]Originally posted by noneloud
Please. Please. Please.....let it be black anodized aluminum.

Full Metal Jacket - Black Nano
Me likey
post #27 of 32
Alright people, you asked for it, I got inspired, I did some Potatochopping. Not to blow my own trumpet, but it was friggin' quite hard. Don't let the simplicity of the end product fool you. Anyway, I thank the stars and the goddess for artistic inspiration, and remain in awe of you designers out there that produce quality work under insane deadlines day-in day-out. Something I just wouldn't be able to do. Anyway, without further ado, the imagery below. If it's not showing up, try again later

post #28 of 32
If they do return to the metal casing, I hope they don't stick with the plastic endcaps. Makes it look unfinished.
post #29 of 32
Someone on engadget came up with these ones and since sunilraman opened the floodgates for mockups here:

Quote:

Quote:

post #30 of 32
I also just posted up a mockup, which is actually a realistic one!!

Read the words as well

Enjoy.
post #31 of 32
Personally mambo06 that pretty much exactly what I want! White aluminum, bigger screen, essentally scratch proof, higher capacity.

I could see them doing it in white, black, pink, green. (maybe silver again instead of green)

That'd be perfect., good mockup!
Quote:

Quote:

post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
Personally mambo06 that pretty much exactly what I want! White aluminum, bigger screen, essentally scratch proof, higher capacity.

I could see them doing it in white, black, pink, green. (maybe silver again instead of green)

That'd be perfect., good mockup!

Thank you for your kind words!

To be honest, I think they are going through a dull stage of no extravagent colours. Give it a few years =)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's new iPod nano may sport metal jacket