or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Let's re-name iTunes...

Let's re-name iTunes...

post #1 of 79
I think it's about time to decease the iTunes name. Video clips aren't "tunes", and it would be better to just have a place where all media was together. Kind of like a "mother" application from Apple.

But, it would be hard to find a name to keep the same feel to the brand.

I have been thinking, as well as just a rename, what about a complete restructure of the framework? A place where all music, movies, tv shows, photos are stored on servers. (But that would be way in the future because we would need to rely on wi-fi clouds.) No need for hard drives, then. Just flash memory for streaming, and online playlists etc.

Post your names, everyone!

Mine:

"Eve" - too feminine?
post #2 of 79
We can't
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 79
Why not?

iTunes is way to corny, anyway
post #4 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Mambo06
Why not?

iTunes is way to corny, anyway

That's like saying let's rename the Eiffel Tower, it wont work. However if you said: Why doesn't apple rename iTunes? Or: Will apple rename iTunes? Now that would be different matter. Still don't think it will happen any time soon though.
post #5 of 79
iPodMediaPlayer???
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #6 of 79
iTunes is fine, they really need to change it from "music store" to "media store". That way itms would still apply .
post #7 of 79
iTunes is a strong brand name. They're not going to touch it.
post #8 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Mambo06

Mine:

"Eve" - too feminine?

What the christ is wrong with you for thinking that.
post #9 of 79
No no, it would be iEve. That just sounds a bit dodgy imo.

Maybe iMedia?

It really doesn't need to be changed. Maybe if and when movies are offered. Even then they could make another store called the iMovie Store
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #10 of 79
WHAT THE CHRIST MADE YOU PEOPLE THINK OF EVE
post #11 of 79
Call it Adam just to piss off Placebo even more!

Just playin'.
post #12 of 79
iTunes is perfect, that way in 20years when the next generation ask "why is it iTunes" I can say "well you see a long time ago Apple only sold music through iTunes. And then the kids go "wow, I can't believe that, they sell food through iTunes now..."
I need a new moniter...
I need a new moniter...
post #13 of 79
Basic marketing for beginners:

If you build a brand that is recognized all over the world, you don't change the name of that brand.

If your brand is dominant in its market you definitely don't change the name.

You can alter the name to distinguish product lines, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod video. But you don't change the name.

If you have a great product but a bad brand name, then you can change the name to give the product a new marketing life.
post #14 of 79
Okay then what about "iTunes Adam" for movies, and "iTunes Eve" for photos?

MWUAHAHHA
post #15 of 79
NO NO NO. You need to leave room for Apple to breathe. What if they come up with even more innovative products related to iTunes? iEve or iAdam are up at the top of the product line naming scheme.

Son I propose we start somewhat further down the ladder. Introducing:

iMoses - You heard it here first.
post #16 of 79
Quote:
iMoses - You heard it here first.

pmsl!
post #17 of 79
When "Tower Records" stopped selling records and started selling CD's, they never changed the name to "Tower CD's."
post #18 of 79
Uh huh. Well Records is a generic term for a music track, it's not specifically related to vinyl. Vinyl is vinyl, CDs are CDs, but records can be both. If you want to get picky...
post #19 of 79
i also think they should rename iTunes. do it now while its popularity is not too great. iPod is the more important and recognized brand anyway. but even more important is increasing the quality of the content. the videos look like shit and the audio could be better.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan22t
i also think they should rename iTunes. do it now while its popularity is not too great.

You're joking right? iTunes Music Store is second only to amazon.com as the most visited internet shopping site in the world.
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by mattyj
Uh huh. Well Records is a generic term for a music track, it's not specifically related to vinyl. Vinyl is vinyl, CDs are CDs, but records can be both. If you want to get picky...

Records has only become a generic term since the introduction of Cd's. Before Cd's existed, records meant physical vinyl records. The definition has morphed over time.
post #22 of 79
I've actually thought about this before. Keeping in mind Apple's habit of one word App names,

Jukebox
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
post #23 of 79
Yes but the correct term for the medium was Vinyl, was it not (sorry before my time )? Records is just a generic term, not relating to the physical medium, there was just no other medium to apply the name to at the time, no?
post #24 of 79
How about calling it iBitchin', least that's what this thread is
post #25 of 79
Records meant vinyl records. You played them on a Record Player. When 8 track tapes and cassette tapes came into use, they were not called records they were called tapes.

Records became a generic term in the 80's once CD's took over.
post #26 of 79
When is this thread going to be moved?
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2kdave
When is this thread going to be moved?

Now.
"The world is all that is the case"
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
"The world is all that is the case"
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
post #28 of 79
You can't really change the name of iTunes (as explained above), but at the same time it sure is becoming increasingly awkward that iTunes handles video... and surely one day, movies.

One solution would be to release a new app that specializes in handling video and movies, e.g. iFlix. You can then choose whether iFlix opens when you plug in your iPod. There would also be a handy link to open up iFlix from iTunes. This is still little awkward, though, and two apps opening up when you plug your iPod might get confusing.

The other solution would be give iTunes different modes, one specialized for music playing, and the other specialized for video/movies. That doesn't make the iTunes name any more appropriate, but at least it guarantees a good UI for video/movies... which iTunes currently doesn't have.

Each mode could even shift the iTunes icon in the Dock... That actually might be a rather "Apple" solution... initially bizarre, but kind of cool ... a simple but extravagant solution to a vexing UI problem.
post #29 of 79
There are millions of reasons NOT to change the iTunes name and they are all dollars that have been spent on ads.
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
WHAT THE CHRIST MADE YOU PEOPLE THINK OF EVE

To give you a ribbing.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #31 of 79
As said before, all Apple has to do is change the name from the iTunes Music Store to the iTunes Media Store. Problem solved. Name kept.
post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by mattyj
Yes but the correct term for the medium was Vinyl, was it not (sorry before my time )? Records is just a generic term, not relating to the physical medium, there was just no other medium to apply the name to at the time, no?

Records existed way before vinyl - what about the old acetate 78s. (RPM or revolutions per minute for those young 'uns not knowing any better) Although I always associate records with vinyl, I cant see any reason why a CD or other cant be a record since the word comes from recording which is what is done regardless of the medium.
___
John
___
John
post #33 of 79
How about iGapsBetweenSongs until they fix the darned thing?
post #34 of 79
"Record Player," "Put the needle on the Record,"The Beatles are cutting a new Record," "Going to the Record store." etc.. etc... Records were those round things with grooves in em that played music.
post #35 of 79
Since we're on the religious tangent, let's just change it to God. It gives you cool stuff sometimes, but it almost always takes your money...
post #36 of 79
keep it itunes, just now a tune doesnt refer to just music, it is tv to.
"tune in next week for a new episode" haha idk.
apple can change the meaning of a word they have the power.
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally posted by solsun
As said before, all Apple has to do is change the name from the iTunes Music Store to the iTunes Media Store. Problem solved. Name kept.

Then it ekes of Microsoft.
post #38 of 79
Nah, lets give it a more ghetto, more hip image.

iChunes
post #39 of 79
iStream?
post #40 of 79
iPeefreely?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Let's re-name iTunes...