or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to drop "Conroe" embargo this Friday

Intel to drop "Conroe" embargo this Friday

post #1 of 87
Intel Corp. on Friday will release more details on its long awaited Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme desktop processors, formerly code-named "Conroe," according to DailyTech.

The chips made a public appearance earlier this year at the Spring Intel Developer Forum, where they were shown beating out some of the fastest offerings from rival AMD, including the high end Athlon 64 X2 and gaming-oriented Athlon 64 FX.

With the new Core 2 processors, the world's largest chip maker is backing away from the "megahertz war," and is instead focusing on chips with more instructions per clock cycle and improved power efficiency.

Both Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors will sport a plethora of new features, including Intel Wide Dynamic Execution, Intel Smart Memory Access, Intel Advanced Smart Cache and Intel Advanced Digital Media Boost.

"While the performance NDA lifts later tonight, availability isnt expected until July 23rd, 2006," according to DailyTech "Intel will officially announce availability on July 27, 2006."

A 2.93GHz Core 2 Extreme (Conroe) with a 4MB L2 cache and 1066MHz front-side bus (FSB) will reportedly retail for around $1000, or about $150 more than a 3.0GHz Xeon 5160 (Woodcrest), which features a 4MB L2 cache and 1333MHz FSB.

Intel will also offer Core 2 Duo chips at 2.67GHz ($530), 2.4GHz ($316), 2.13GHz ($224) and 1.86GHz ($183).

Later this year, the chip maker will roll out a 3.2GHz Core 2 Extreme processor. It will follow up early next year with and a quad-core Core 2 Extreme (Kentsfield).

Core 2 Duo chips are expected to make their way into Apple's Mac product line slightly later this year.
post #2 of 87
Holy guacamole!

(apologies to wilco)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #3 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Bageljoey
Holy guacamole!

(apologies to wilco)

dude!
post #4 of 87
"A 2.93GHz Core 2 Extreme (Conroe) with a 4MB L2 cache and 1066MHz front-side bus (FSB) will reportedly retail for around $1000, or about $150 more than a 3.0GHz Xeon 5160 (Woodcrest), which features a 4MB L2 cache and 1333MHz FSB."

post #5 of 87
good. know what to expect at WWDC
post #6 of 87
What do you guys expect in iMac's next Jan & later this year?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 87
Yeah, that pricing seems odd to me as well. Appleinsider must have that wrong because why on earth would intel sell the faster (say what you wan't about not being able to saturate the bus) woodcrest than they would the overclocked core 2 duo. It is simple, they won't.

I am interested to see what the comments will be on the core 2 though because if it is as close in performance to the woodcrest as all of the reports indicate then either the new pro desktop line had better be all dual woodcrests or the feature sets had better be well worth the money considering an iMac would be close to it in performance on most tasks (unless the Mac Pro line was all dual woodcrests and even then the difference would only be significant on certain apps - law of diminishing returns might show his ugly head)

Regardless of how Apple decides to distinguish the lines and even regardless of whether or not the next Apple I buy is obsolete in a few months, I am happy with the speed at which intel has been delivering new technology.
post #8 of 87
I can't wait to get my hands on a dual-processor kentsfield machine next year. With 8 cores, that thing will be a beast.
post #9 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
What do you guys expect in iMac's next Jan & later this year?

Definitely e6400 in bottom line and e6600 in the highend... 2.16 and 2.4 in the high end.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #10 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by shroud
Yeah, that pricing seems odd to me as well.

Well, not so odd if you look at the heat/dissipated power numbers. All Conroe chips are rated 65W or less while the 3.0GHz Woodcrest is rated at 80W. I think it's easier to get a 3GHz chip burning 80W than a 2.93GHz one burning "only" 65W, I think that's why the Core 2 Extreme chip will cost more than the 3GHz Woodcrest. If you look at the list price for the other models, you'll see that Conroe is cheaper than Woodcrest at a similar speed but a faster FSB:
***Conroe** - ***Woodcrest**
2.93GHz $999 - 3.00Ghz $851 (80W)
2.67GHz $530 - 2.66Ghz $690
2.40GHz $316 - 2.33GHz $455
2.13GHz $224 - 2.00Ghz $315
It's the same with LV model (they cost more):
Woodcrest 2.33GHz 65W $455
Woodcrest 2.33GHz 40W $520
post #11 of 87
Hmmmm...."more instructions per clock cycle". Sounds an awful like when Apple first went with IBM. Where are you now, Intel doubters?
post #12 of 87
and how hot will these puppies run?
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
post #13 of 87
the reason that core 2 extreme is more is because it has an unlocked multiplier which means absolutly nuthing to apple
post #14 of 87
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/artic...?cid=2&id=1980

some benchmarks on Core 2 Duo Conroe,

Conroe in iMac will kick ass!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #15 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by shroud
Regardless of how Apple decides to distinguish the lines and even regardless of whether or not the next Apple I buy is obsolete in a few months, I am happy with the speed at which intel has been delivering new technology.

Now if only Apple would include upgradable CPUs in their mobos, then 3 months from introduction to obsolescence wouldn't be a threat anymore. But of course, we all know with Apple that that ain't gonna happen.
post #16 of 87
Do we have exact power figures for Conroe, especially compared to today's Core Duo in the iMac?
post #17 of 87
Embargo has been lifted. Reviews are going up. Core 2 Duo kicks. serious. ass. This is the biggest one-step leap in years.

Anandtech review

Power consumption and performance comparisons included.
post #18 of 87
What tools do I need to get inside my iMac? The Merom is the only chip that I can upgrade to, correct?
post #19 of 87
I think so, but the Merom is a Core 2 Duo, just with (initially) a 667mhz bus.
post #20 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubert
Where are you now, Intel doubters?

How does a Core 2 Duo being better than the closest equivalent PPC (G5) prevent the Pentium x being worse than the equivalent PPC?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #21 of 87
Is the Core 2 Duo a 64bit processor or is it still a 32bit like core duo??? (but I heard that core duo was actually a 64bit but intel wouldn't say it)
Any ideas?
post #22 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubert
Hmmmm...."more instructions per clock cycle". Sounds an awful like when Apple first went with IBM. Where are you now, Intel doubters?

I'll take lower Mhz and more complete instructions processed per clock cycle any damn day.
post #23 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by wackybit
Is the Core 2 Duo a 64bit processor or is it still a 32bit like core duo??? (but I heard that core duo was actually a 64bit but intel wouldn't say it)
Any ideas?

Core 2 Duo= 64bit
Core Duo= 32bit

Anyway... I won't be surpriced if Apple will use the slowest Conroes available in the next incarnation of the iMac (Core 2 Duo E6300 and E6400; 1.86Ghz / 2.13Ghz).
They still will be much faster than the same clocked Yonah processor currently used.

If they use faster processors instead, Intels roadmap is much better than i've hoped for.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #24 of 87
other than these CPUs, when we can expect

MEROM??? will intel surprise us with Aug release & Availability?

Yonah ...Merom
Conroe
Woodcrest
? (what is the name for new itanium?)

now we got everthing

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #25 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by shanmugam
? (what is the name for new itanium?)

Does anyone even care about Itanium anymore? Isn't it dead?
post #26 of 87
Wow, those 1.83Ghz Conroes are pretty spiffy for a cheap chip, beating all but the fastest Pentium Extreme. Why on earth would anyone buy a Pentium now?

So, the question is, Conroe iMacs at WWDC too ?

I really can't see Apple using Merom in the iMac.
post #27 of 87
Hmmm... just a thought:

iMac update as soon as next tuesday?
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #28 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign

I really can't see Apple using Merom in the iMac.

And I am really still not convinced that it can take a Conroe without sacrificing much of its quiet operation.
post #29 of 87
notice how alot of the pc sellers are ducking the megahertz war thing BY NOT LISTING THE MHZ SPEEDS OF THEIR CHIPS.... dell has been doing this!

And other pc manufacturers,excuse me but i want to know what I am buying,I hope apple doesnt take on the ignorant trend. 0.2 cents

once again I am Slightly of topic but just not enough to get flammed.
post #30 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
And I am really still not convinced that it can take a Conroe without sacrificing much of its quiet operation.

Good point, although my G5 iMac is quite noisy, especially running carbon apps. It was quiet when I got it but Apple seem to have ramped up the fans on subsequent OS updates.
post #31 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
Good point, although my G5 iMac is quite noisy, especially running carbon apps. It was quiet when I got it but Apple seem to have ramped up the fans on subsequent OS updates.

This is something not unheard of. Apple did the same thing with older Aluminum Powerbooks because, I presume, they realized that the heat is too much and in the long term would hurt the machine (increasing probably repairs under warranty).

I guess a Conroe would bring the iMac back to the G5 heat and noise era. Only a 23" model has hope to handle well a 60-65 W CPU without being a leaf blower.
post #32 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
Now if only Apple would include upgradable CPUs in their mobos, then 3 months from introduction to obsolescence wouldn't be a threat anymore. But of course, we all know with Apple that that ain't gonna happen.

Why not? So far they've done it with all intel macs but portables.
post #33 of 87
Given that when the first intel iMac was released the chip prices were $294 for the 17" (1.83) and $423 for the 20" (2.0) that would make me believe that if they were to again release both 17" and 20" models with the Core 2 duo then we would see the 2.13GHz ($224) in the 17" and the 2.4GHz ($316) in the 20".

Of course this does not take into effect heating issues (of which I am not knowledgable). Also, their is a possibility that (partially) due to the recent 17" education iMac we may see a 23" version using the 2.67GHz ($530) conroe chip and no 17" update.

I could be wrong about the core duo price quotes from the first line but if I am right then it seems there is room for either some other quality upgrades or a small price drop in models. Basically just more flexibility for apple.
post #34 of 87
...what do published Spot Prices for chips have to do with Apple who is buying chips on a daily basis..
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #35 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
Core 2 Duo= 64bit
Core Duo= 32bit

Anyway... I won't be surpriced if Apple will use the slowest Conroes available in the next incarnation of the iMac (Core 2 Duo E6300 and E6400; 1.86Ghz / 2.13Ghz).
They still will be much faster than the same clocked Yonah processor currently used.

If they use faster processors instead, Intels roadmap is much better than i've hoped for.

Oh yeah baby!!! it's 64 bit! Since rumor says the MacBook Pro will receive a new casing when it is updated with a Core 2 Duo processor, I hope Ive puts in 4 RAM slots so some hardcore user with a lot of money (not me) can put in 8GBs of RAM!!! Maybe I'll put in 4GBs.....hehehe

Dare to dream....
post #36 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigc
...what do published Spot Prices for chips have to do with Apple who is buying chips on a daily basis..

Just meant as a comparison
post #37 of 87
The core duo's are turning out to be quite the little over-clockers. They were able to oc the Extreme X6800 from 2.93GHz to 4.0GHz with quality air cooling.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2795&p=18

I don't know how well the Mac side will be for ocing, but damn...
post #38 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by wackybit
Oh yeah baby!!! it's 64 bit! Since rumor says the MacBook Pro will receive a new casing when it is updated with a Core 2 Duo processor, I hope Ive puts in 4 RAM slots so some hardcore user with a lot of money (not me) can put in 8GBs of RAM!!! Maybe I'll put in 4GBs.....hehehe

Dare to dream....

4 RAM slots? 2 GBs each? For what, $10,000 total?
post #39 of 87
The Core 2 Extreme does not exceed 45 °C CPU temperature using the Intel retail cooler in an office environment.............You should care to enable SpeedStep, because it reduces the processor clock speed to 1.6 GHz when idle. This will cause the processor fan to drop its rotation speed to as little as 1,500 RPM. Eventually, we measured an average CPU temperature level of only 25°C (77°F). That's almost room temperature!

from
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/..._64/page8.html
post #40 of 87
Quote:
Originally posted by opuscroakus
The core duo's are turning out to be quite the little over-clockers. They were able to oc the Extreme X6800 from 2.93GHz to 4.0GHz with quality air cooling.

And the xtremesystems.com dudes went up to 5,2 GHz on liquid nitrogen. Any chance of Apple overclocking their chips?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel to drop "Conroe" embargo this Friday