or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Nvidia to help power next-gen video iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nvidia to help power next-gen video iPod

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
Graphics chip maker Nvidia Corp. has beat out Broadcom Corp. in a major design win for Apple Computer's next-generation video iPod product line, according to one Wall Street analyst.

"Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation video iPod socket at the expense of Broadcom," American Technology Research analyst Satya Chillara told clients on Tuesday.

The video capabilities of Apple's current fifth-generation iPods are made possible by a chip from Broadcom.

"We believe the Nvidia chip adds 3D graphics functionality in addition to all of the existing features that Broadcom supported with the existing video iPod," Chillara added.

As a result of his findings, the analyst upgraded shares of Nvidia to "Buy" from "Hold" while downgrading shares of Broadcom to "Hold" from "Buy."

"We view this development as negative" for Broadcom, Chillara said, explaining that Apple's fifth-generation iPods have contributed between $50 and $70 million in revenue for the company each quarter.

Apple's decision to adopt Nvidia chips in the next video iPod represents the second major iPod component supplier swap in recent months:

In April, it was reported that Samsung beat out PortalPlayer as the system-on-a-chip (SoC) supplier for the second-generation iPod nano.
post #2 of 52
Woah. O_O;;
post #3 of 52
Would possibly explain some of the new game stuff found in the iPod update code.
post #4 of 52
Hmmmm all this chipset swappery doesn't sound like a product whose release is imminent....

Grrrr.... guess I'll have to stick with my shuffle for a while longer!
post #5 of 52
Yet another odd indicator for buy/hold transitions from the analysts; NVidia seems slightly less diverse, but at least in the next 12-18 months I can't imagine iPod video chips being of significant consequence for either company. Especially Broadcom.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by WaRrK
Hmmmm all this chipset swappery doesn't sound like a product whose release is imminent....

Depends on how old the information is. This could be information that is 6-12 months old! If it is even reliable.
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by WaRrK
Hmmmm all this chipset swappery doesn't sound like a product whose release is imminent....

It also doesn't mean this will be the next iPod released. It could be 2-3 more generations from now.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #8 of 52
Poor guys... poor little guys...
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeAlamaiz
Poor guys... poor little guys...

Really? Why not contribute something next time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 52
"Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation video iPod socket at the expense of Broadcom,"

What are they analyzing that allows them to draw these conclusions?
Unless they busted open a pre-production model and saw the chips I would be highly doubtful.
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ireland
Really? Why not contribute something next time.

Kind of like your bazillion countdown/discuss this topic/post your mockups threads?

post #12 of 52
Well, what ever happens we can be sure that the graphics will be tons better. I just want to know when they'll have blue tooth headphones. that would be even better than better graphics.
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by gregmightdothat
Kind of like your bazillion countdown/discuss this topic/post your mockups threads?


LOL
post #14 of 52
Broadcom will be fine, considering that some of their technology will go inside every Nintendo Wii system.
post #15 of 52
whatever.
all i need on my ipod is my music and Tetris.
Tetris, Mr. Jobs.
Tetris.
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
Reply
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
Reply
post #16 of 52
I'll add to that...

Tetris, Tetris, Tetris! ADD IT FFS!

I can't wait for the new iPods, personally. My 20gig 4th G is just too small now days.

Soon as they release something bigger than 60g, i'll be all over buying hte 60gig. I'm getting tired of waiting, but I'm definitely not buying an iPod at this point!

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #17 of 52
I wasn't aware Nvidia had a chip that could compete with Broadcom. I wonder which chip it is?

Sunil. It's time for some of your research.
post #18 of 52
Ok, I just popped into ARs, and found this.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060718-7295.html
post #19 of 52
I'd love to have Tetris, Breakout and Pong on my iPod.
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by blackbird_1.0
I'd love to have Tetris, Breakout and Pong on my iPod.

I'm sure Nvidia's chip will run Doom 3 without too much trouble!
post #21 of 52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by melgross
I wasn't aware Nvidia had a chip that could compete with Broadcom. I wonder which chip it is?
Sunil. It's time for some of your research.



What am I? Asok the Intern from Dilbert?
Here ya lazy bastards: (image) Chew on this first.

post #22 of 52
According to this product matrix (image below), only the NVIDIA GoForce5500 has H.264 decoding. So unless the Samsung core is going to be doing all that H.264 decoding, GPU decoding will be the GoForce5500 or some newer "handheld-class" nVidia GPU yet to be formally announced. That will be $1,999 in research fees, payable to the Sunil Analyst Institute.

post #23 of 52
If the new iPods are going to have 3D gaming as well they would be using "OpenGL ES with nVidia extensions" http://www.khronos.org/opengles/ - All you tetris fanatics can get 3D tetris maybe.
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
If the new iPods are going to have 3D gaming as well they would be using "OpenGL ES with nVidia extensions" http://www.khronos.org/opengles/ - All you tetris fanatics can get 3D tetris maybe.

This is Apple we are talking about.
You will be playing CHESS or Nanosaur.
If you are really lucky they will throw in a sliding tile game to show of the programmable pixel shaders.
Enjoy!
post #25 of 52
ROFLMAO What were you expecting? Half Life 3: iPod edition???
post #26 of 52
It is also entirely possible that Apple is not buying any of the current nvidia offerings and is instead using a customized or yet to be released version of one of the chips.
post #27 of 52
So the real video iPod might be a PSP killer? Sounds like a plan to me.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
post #28 of 52
Will this be a cost increase as well? Too much flash = too much cash?
Mr. Scott
Reply
Mr. Scott
Reply
post #29 of 52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
I wasn't aware Nvidia had a chip that could compete with Broadcom. I wonder which chip it is?
Sunil. It's time for some of your research.



What am I? Asok the Intern from Dilbert?
Here ya lazy bastards: (image) Chew on this first.

No, you're the Genie from Aladdin.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCentric
It is also entirely possible that Apple is not buying any of the current nvidia offerings and is instead using a customized or yet to be released version of one of the chips.

If that were true, I'd be concerned. That would be at least another 6 months to add to the timing of the machine.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Scott
Will this be a cost increase as well? Too much flash = too much cash?

This will probably be a new line of devices with a larger form factor but not necessarily more expensive.
iPod shuffle
iPod nano
iPod classic
iPod video/games/PSP killer
iPod phone

The PSP currently retails for $199
The DS Lite retails for about $139
Apple should be able to price it competitively since they will probably have greater economies of scale.
Nintendo and Sony only sell about 5 million units a yr in the US.
Apple is selling way more iPods each quarter.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Elijahg
I'm sure Nvidia's chip will run Doom 3 without too much trouble!

nVidia's mobile GoForce 5500 can run Quake, and even the GPL Quake III according to the product page. http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_5500.html

Looking at the specifications, it is exactly suited towards a media device - it even supports mobile TV standards (DVB-H, etc). 2007's iPod could do music, video and TV, assuming the aerial can be integrated. Feck FM radio support. Feck Microsoft's 'iPod killer'

I wonder if Apple have the clout to get nVidia to create a single chip including GoForce graphics/audio and ARM CPU?
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by FireEmblemPride
Broadcom will be fine, considering that some of their technology will go inside every Nintendo Wii system.

Some of their technology? They have so many different types of chip products, that could be anything. It seems like the only type of product they don't make is a desktop/notebook CPU.
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Hattig
nVidia's mobile GoForce 5500 can run Quake, and even the GPL Quake III according to the product page. http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_5500.html

Looking at the specifications, it is exactly suited towards a media device - it even supports mobile TV standards (DVB-H, etc). 2007's iPod could do music, video and TV, assuming the aerial can be integrated. Feck FM radio support. Feck Microsoft's 'iPod killer'

I wonder if Apple have the clout to get nVidia to create a single chip including GoForce graphics/audio and ARM CPU?

Nvidia doesn't build ARM, so far as I know. That would involve licensing, and an entire design team for, well, who knows how long?

If Nvidia only sold those resulting chips to Apple, what would they cost, even if it's feasable?
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Nvidia doesn't build ARM, so far as I know. That would involve licensing, and an entire design team for, well, who knows how long?

If Nvidia only sold those resulting chips to Apple, what would they cost, even if it's feasable?

I think the current iPod has a video decoder chip that's separate from the processor. My PDA has an ATI 3D chip along side the main processor.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I think the current iPod has a video decoder chip that's separate from the processor. My PDA has an ATI 3D chip along side the main processor.

That might be right. I don't remember exactly how much the Broadcom chip does. And what about the Samsung?
post #37 of 52
Dare I say it - Apple PDA?

This Chip is far too overpowered just to sit next to the CPU and decode the occasional video - image what could be possible with this little sucker.

I won't hold my breath, though...
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Reply
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Reply
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally posted by Denmaru
Dare I say it - Apple PDA?

This Chip is far too overpowered just to sit next to the CPU and decode the occasional video - image what could be possible with this little sucker.

I won't hold my breath, though...

PDAs don't need special 3D graphics chips either. The one I mentioned is the Tapwave Zodiac, it was positioned as a hybrid PDA and handheld game device, and it's pretty nice, I think. I don't think any other PDAs has a dedicated graphics chip like that.

If it is for a portable media player, then it could allow decoding of 1080p media out to an HDTV, but I doubt Apple would offer that feature if they didn't have a viable means of licencing and distributing media to take advantage of that.
post #39 of 52
I believe around the timeframe the Treo was first introduced PocketPC PDAs started getting dedicated video chipsets from ATI or NVidia (can't remember which, might have been both). They weren't all that great and the main functionality they provided was video playback, but that was a few years ago.

If Apple does use the chip, I would strongly suspect it would be used for games/visuals, and not become a PDA. Matches the iPod call to arms more strongly--audio/video/gaming entertainment consolidated to one device.

And of course games for sale through iTMS, DRM included.

I'm not convinced the initial report is true though. Time will tell.
post #40 of 52
Since the 5G iPod came out, I've been saying that Apple should go for games. It's a logical extention. They already have a games catagory. The screen is a bit small, but not too small. The rez is fine. The controller works well for games. I don't see a problem. A few API's and it could be a go.

My Palm Treo 700p, as my Samsung i330 before it, plays games very well. The button placement is not as good as the controller on the iPod, and almost every game utilizes the buttons differently. Apple would resolve that difficulty on the iPod, as Nintendo does on their players.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Nvidia to help power next-gen video iPod