or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › All old Israel/Lebanon threads merged in here

All old Israel/Lebanon threads merged in here - Page 20  

post #761 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
what I cant find is the article on the website that holds this picture......if you'd be so kind

Jesus Police

Got to love that site name! I've got more if you want!
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #762 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Jeez man. Improve one's country, one's culture, one's ethnical group, one's social group, whatever.

So we're back full-circle and you need another reason why Bush admin doesn't fit your definition then...
post #763 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Jesus Police

Got to love that site name! I've got more if you want!

That article reminds me, I was wondering the reason for year 1AD, being set to when it was, when it doesn't correspond to Jesus' birth. Do you know why? Was it simply a mistake lost to time by not knowing the exact history of the era?
post #764 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by MarcUK
That article reminds me, I was wondering the reason for year 1AD, being set to when it was, when it doesn't correspond to Jesus' birth. Do you know why? Was it simply a mistake lost to time by not knowing the exact history of the era?

Unbelievably...apparently it arose as late as the 6th century when an Italian monk Dionysius Exiguus invented it out of thin air!

I think he was trying vainly to reconcile a serious theological problem: Luke's account of Jesus's birth cannot be true as it is self-contradictory. Luke assumes and explicitly states that the Syrian governor Qurinius, Jesus and King Herod were all alive at the same time.

This cannot be true as Herod died before Quirinius was governor. Therefore Jesus birth story in the Gospels is called into question and some date-juggling was called for.
post #765 of 882
Quote:
We're young. 4000 years of civilization is nothing.

In equivalent terms we are just toddlers throwing tantrums all the time, wanting our own way and seething with resentment and lashing out when we don't get it.

We'll grow up and mature. First we have to stay alive though and that could be the tricky bit.

4000 only...

Hell, the Chinese and Indus river civs are at least 8000 years old, and Sumer itself dates to 6000 years ago...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #766 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
4000 only...

Hell, the Chinese and Indus river civs are at least 8000 years old, and Sumer itself dates to 6000 years ago...

I was using the official fundie timescale
post #767 of 882
Which would still mean Hardee's 6000 year timeline.
Do you even know anything about the groups you criticize?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #768 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
Which would still mean Hardee's 6000 year timeline.
Do you even know anything about the groups you criticize?

Well I try but let's just say I am not on the same wavelength and the subtler depths of their thought is something I cannot quite assimilate....

Btw I've been reading about this Pastor Strangelove character...Hardee? Wants to kill Iranians and thinks Jews get a free pass into heaven so he refuses to evangelize them (I'd convert If they allowed it - great deal) - wtf???? Have you heard of him? Sounds like a right nutter - worse than the other bloke with the army fatigues and the Navy Seal fetish - who was he again ?

I met another one the other day and told him what I thought of him - Cerullo his name was. Weak man. Spoke about himself in the third person.
post #769 of 882
The idea that the timeline was 'invented out of thin air' betrays either a complete misunderstanding of history or a profound desire to mislead people.

You and Marc have a history or repeating the same nonsense over and over despite the arguments being disproved time and again.

The adoption of the fish as a Christian symbol has nothing to do with astrology, and you probably know that very well.

And that monk had a good line of reasoning for his date-setting. He wrote it all down and historians know the reasons for his computations, which lie in the dates and generations mentioned in the Old Testament. That he might have been mistaken is no reason to assume a huge DaVinci code style conspiracy.

And finally, Hezbollah is certainly listed as a terrorist organization in Canada.
Which only makes sense, since even they acknowledge that they use terrorism to accomplish their goals.
post #770 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
When anyone posts material that alleges atrocities by (for example) Israel, the US, the UK etc., we get uncomfortable....

Your posts get the trashings they deserve because 90% of the time the "allegations" made are hearsay and nonsense.

Foreign aid workers live in the war zone. Emergency workers would report casualties and request specific medicines for chemical weapons. Journalists would get reports about and witness people who had been subjected to chemical weapons.

When Saddam used such weapons, he had complete command of the government and still couldn't keep word and pictures from coming out.

But you expect us to believe unsubstantiated allegations with ZERO evidence, based on the rubbish that Donald Rumsfeld has a communications dragnet covering three-quarters of the planet.

That's why we're the one who get to roll our eyes.
post #771 of 882
Quote:
The idea that the timeline was 'invented out of thin air' betrays either a complete misunderstanding of history or a profound desire to mislead people.

Profound desire to lead them in the opposite direction than the vampires who seek to enslave their minds perhaps. if that is 'mislead' and what passes today for Christian 'leadership' is the benchmark then it seems fair enough. I'll go with it.

Quote:
You and Marc have a history or repeating the same nonsense over and over despite the arguments being disproved time and again.

I'm going to call you on this. Wouldn't want to see you as being economical with the truth - not with you being in line for hellfire if such was the case and all that.

Please post where we have been disproved, how, by whom and on what issues. With links please. I'm afraid I must insist.

Quote:
The adoption of the fish as a Christian symbol has nothing to do with astrology, and you probably know that very well.

As it happens I do. If your knee was able to stop jerking for a second - or perhaps if you bothered to read anything I write (strangely Marc and I have an ongoing disagreement on this very issue spanning many months but you seem not to have noticed) you would know this.

Never mind. Perhaps we have been deleted from the 'Authorized Fundie Database'.

Quote:
And that monk had a good line of reasoning for his date-setting. He wrote it all down and historians know the reasons for his computations, which lie in the dates and generations mentioned in the Old Testament. That he might have been mistaken is no reason to assume a huge DaVinci code style conspiracy.

The monk was a gibbering fool. Let's face it.

Quote:
And finally, Hezbollah is certainly listed as a terrorist organization in Canada. Which only makes sense, since even they acknowledge that they use terrorism to accomplish their goals.

Right....
post #772 of 882
Quote:
Your posts get the trashings they deserve because 90% of the time the "allegations" made are hearsay and nonsense.

Foreign aid workers live in the war zone. Emergency workers would report casualties and request specific medicines for chemical weapons. Journalists would get reports about and witness people who had been subjected to chemical weapons.

When Saddam used such weapons, he had complete command of the government and still couldn't keep word and pictures from coming out.

But you expect us to believe unsubstantiated allegations with ZERO evidence, based on the rubbish that Donald Rumsfeld has a communications dragnet covering three-quarters of the planet.

That's why we're the one who get to roll our eyes.

Frank's on a roll tonight.....Prepare for the Hammer of the Righteous!
post #773 of 882
Quote:
So we're back full-circle and you need another reason why Bush admin doesn't fit your definition then...

Okay, game over. Whatever, man.
post #774 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker

Okay, game over. Whatever, man.

Shit. There goes my evening. What shall we do now? Old Maid? Fundie-bating?
post #775 of 882
The Palestinians only crime is losing. If they had had the power to wipe Israel out and actually done it - or at least oppressed the Jews to the same extent they themselves are persecuted - than they would have been haled as a 'legitimate nation'.

Their crime is not winning. Nelson Mandela would be 'Terrorist Scum' now if Apartheid had not been defeated. Instead he is a hero.

Life is funny.
post #776 of 882
but there's more. It seems the US had SECRET STOCKS OF POSION GAS ready and waiting in ships off of Turkey and ready to be planted in Iraq in order to frame SH. Unfortunately, Bushcorp was foiled by the Turks who would not allow the US to enter Iraq from the North. By the time that his cargo was in a more FAVORABLE POSITION FOR DELIVERY, Iraq was swarming with anti-American journalists and the plan was aborted. Interestingly, reliable sources have reported MYSTERIOUS CONVOYES of trucks with the letters KBR poorly painted over moving across Israel in the past month. SEVERAL SOURCES have observed what they believe to be CYLINDERS OF POISON GAS being unloaded at ISRAELI MILITARY bases. Draw your own conclusions. I will be eating organic yogurt and thinking.
"some catch on faster than others"
"some catch on faster than others"
post #777 of 882
Sego,

Why don't you just let it all hang out and tell us all?????

WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM?

Paz
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
post #778 of 882
Quote:
Citizens of the occupying powers would be treated under a different set of laws than soldiers of the occpying powers, and again differently than the occupied population.
And in your country, diplomats of other countries are under a different set of law than you, so no need for obese words.

You're equating an occupying power, colonizing areas it occupied, with diplomats of other countries?

I have one smilie for you:
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #779 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by rufusswan
Sego,

Why don't you just let it all hang out and tell us all?????

WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM?

Paz

Uhh, I guess I'm just insecure and can't handle the concept of so much free choice....
post #780 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by southside grabowski
but there's more. It seems the US had SECRET STOCKS OF POSION GAS ready and waiting in ships off of Turkey and ready to be planted in Iraq in order to frame SH. Unfortunately, Bushcorp was foiled by the Turks who would not allow the US to enter Iraq from the North. By the time that his cargo was in a more FAVORABLE POSITION FOR DELIVERY, Iraq was swarming with anti-American journalists and the plan was aborted. Interestingly, reliable sources have reported MYSTERIOUS CONVOYES of trucks with the letters KBR poorly painted over moving across Israel in the past month. SEVERAL SOURCES have observed what they believe to be CYLINDERS OF POISON GAS being unloaded at ISRAELI MILITARY bases. Draw your own conclusions. I will be eating organic yogurt and thinking.

Well, eating yoghurt anyway....
post #781 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Can you provide a reference to this?

On the Settlements, land theft and lawmaking; The Forth Geneva Convention.

Section III, article 49; last paragraph;
"The Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies."

Section III, article 53.
Any destruction by the Occupying Power of real or personal property belonging individually or collectively to private persons, or to the State, or to other public authorities, or to social or cooperative organizations, is prohibited, except where such destruction is rendered absolutely necessary by military operations.

Section III, article 64. first part.
The penal laws of the occupied territory shall remain in force, with the exception that they may be repealed or suspended by the Occupying Power in cases where they constitute a threat to its security or an obstacle to the application of the present Convention.

Subject to the latter consideration and to the necessity for ensuring the effective administration of justice, the tribunals of the occupied territory shall continue to function in respect of all offences covered by the said laws.

The Geneva Convention goes on and on. I encourage everyone to read it.

On the Wall; The Press Release from the International Court of Justice ruling.

"The Court finds that the construction by Israel of a wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and its associated régime are contrary to international law"

(The court rejected Israels argument that the Fourth Geneva Convention does not apply in the Occupied Territories because the West Bank and the Gaza Strip were never part of a sovereign state. On this point, the court held that, insofar as the territories fell into Israels hands as a result of war with two states that are party to the Convention, the state must exercise control over the said territory in accordance with the provisions of the Convention.)

On land theft: The Hague Convention.

Article 55 and 56: "The occupying State shall be regarded only as administrator and usufructuary of public buildings, real estate, forests, and agricultural estates belonging to the hostile State, and situated in the occupied country. It must safeguard the capital of these properties, and administer them in accordance with the rules of usufruct.

The property of municipalities, that of institutions dedicated to religion, charity and education, the arts and sciences, even when State property, shall be treated as private property.

All seizure of, destruction or wilful damage done to institutions of this character, historic monuments, works of art and science, is forbidden, and should be made the subject of legal proceedings.
"

(much more here in as well).

And to justify the use of the Label "Apartheid-Style Law Enforcement":
From the International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid.

Article II, Section D: "Any measures including legislative measures, designed to divide the population along racial lines by the creation of separate reserves and ghettos for the members of a racial group or groups,(...)"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #782 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Quote:
Originally posted Immanuel Goldstein
Citizens of the occupying powers would be treated under a different set of laws than soldiers of the occpying powers, and again differently than the occupied population.
And in your country, diplomats of other countries are under a different set of law than you, so no need for obese words.

You're equating an occupying power, colonizing areas it occupied, with diplomats of other countries?

No. I'm showing occurences where different categories of people are treated under different sets of laws.
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד
« Jparle pas aux cons, ça les instruit. »

From Les Tontons Flingueurs

חברים יש רק באגד
post #783 of 882
Quote:
The Palestinians only crime is losing. If they had had the power to wipe Israel out and actually done it - or at least oppressed the Jews to the same extent they themselves are persecuted - than they would have been haled as a 'legitimate nation'.

Their crime is not winning. Nelson Mandela would be 'Terrorist Scum' now if Apartheid had not been defeated. Instead he is a hero.

Life is funny.

Their only crime is loosing? thats funny I would say ther biggest crime wasnt making a deal with Israel so everyones kids would have a future. Thats their biggest crime.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #784 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Their only crime is loosing? thats funny I would say ther biggest crime wasnt making a deal with Israel so everyones kids would have a future. Thats their biggest crime.

Depends on which angle you look at it from I suppose.

Yours is obviously the winger view but there is also the Zionist one where the crime was their existence in the first place.
post #785 of 882
Quote:
Depends on which angle you look at it from I suppose.

Yours is obviously the winger view but there is also the Zionist one where the crime was their existence in the first place.

The Palistinians are like the current day Lebonese - the crime was committed by Egypt and Syria, and the Palistinians got caught in the crossfire.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #786 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
Is it wise to use the word "islamofacism" as The senator from PA and Sean Hannity toss around?

I have heard this word more and more in the last 10 days and it concerns me.

Why?

Because even if it is true that Hezbollah and Hamas need to be eliminated I find it wreckless to use the word islamofacism as it will serve only to inflame or create an environment of contempt of honest members of islam who indeed are peaceful people like you and I.

Sort of how the word Jew was tossed around by Nazi's in days past.

I believe quite frankly that it would be better to target specific groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah and simply state that terrorism will not be appeased any longer.

But to use such big words I am afraid will only serve to create a much more unstable world as moderate peace loving members of islam turn more extreme in light of the fact that the west speaks to them as "islamofacists".

Not the best way to moderate our world in my humble view.

Fellowship

Evil must be called evil. Islamofascism? What else would you call it? They seek to impose an ideology on the entire world...one where freedom does not exist as we know it. Freedom of speech? Gone. Freedom of worship? Gone. Freedom to shave your beard? Gone. It is fascism, and I'm not afraid to say so. At no time is it meant to portray all of Islam as being of that ideology.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #787 of 882
Quote:
You just discounted yourself as worthy of any serious consideration right there.

Try - as a favour to me (and you) to answer these questions:

1) How many Christians in Saudi? And Syria?

2) Ditto Churches holding regular services in each?

3) What happens if you ask a policeman for directions to the nearest bar in each country?

4) Which one has banned women from:

i) Driving
ii) Leaving the house unaccompanied
iii) Voting

5) Which one is a hardline Islamic State that imposes Shariah law?

6) What happens if a woman in public is not dressed in hijab in each?

7) What are the divorce laws for each?

That'll do for now. I don;t expect you to answer but you might regain some credibility if you try.

Is their culture more oppressive? Certainly. But I thought we weren't supposed to impose our views on other countries, seg?

Regardless, we weren't talking about their culture. We're talking about what kind of allies they have been. Saudi Arabia has been far more helpful in fighting terror since 9/11 than Syria has. Syria and Iran support terror with impunity. Stick to the issue.
post #788 of 882
Quote:
I am not a liberal.

Hezbollah is not a terrorist group.

Stupidity and ignorance must be destroyed - before it destroys us.

You are a liberal. Please.

Hezbollah is a terrorist group. If you can't acknowledge that, we should just stop discussing the issue right now.
post #789 of 882
Quote:
That definition would also fit the Bush administration with its 'regime change' policy.

That's insane.
post #790 of 882
Quote:

I'll give you one. The Bush administration does not delibrately attack civilians to further it's goals. Here's another: Those goals don't involve imposing a radical, freedomless ideology on the rest of the world. OK, so that's two.

Honestly, I can't you seriously anymore after reading this discussion you had with Chucker. Hezbollah, Hamas, Al-Q...they're all terrorist organizations. You know what terrorism is, seg. If you don't, then again...it really is game over for this dicussion.
post #791 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Evil must be called evil. Islamofascism? What else would you call it? They seek to impose an ideology on the entire world...one where freedom does not exist as we know it. Freedom of speech? Gone. Freedom of worship? Gone. Freedom to shave your beard? Gone. It is fascism, and I'm not afraid to say so. At no time is it meant to portray all of Islam as being of that ideology.

Why prefix it with 'Islamo' then?

Why not call it just fascism?

The fact that you need a specifying delineation contradicts your post and reveals what you really mean.

Maybe you are the sort of person who if a black guy commits a crime you have to specify that when you refer to the crime rather than just talk about criminals.
post #792 of 882
Quote:
Is their culture more oppressive? Certainly. But I thought we weren't supposed to impose our views on other countries, seg?

Regardless, we weren't talking about their culture. We're talking about what kind of allies they have been. Saudi Arabia has been far more helpful in fighting terror since 9/11 than Syria has. Syria and Iran support terror with impunity. Stick to the issue.

Saudi is a fascist totalitarian state. I see no reasons why they would NOT be 'good allies'.
post #793 of 882
Quote:
You are a liberal. Please.

Hezbollah is a terrorist group. If you can't acknowledge that, we should just stop discussing the issue right now.

I know that for a certain kind of winger that black=white, war=peace and oppression=freedom and no doubt you are of this kind.

You are free to indoctrinate yourself with these falsities if you so desire but if you apply them directly to people who know more about themselves than you do (as is often the case) then there is a high chance you open yourself up to looking a fool when they disprove you.
post #794 of 882
Quote:
I'll give you one. The Bush administration does not delibrately attack civilians to further it's goals. Here's another: Those goals don't involve imposing a radical, freedomless ideology on the rest of the world. OK, so that's two.

1) 'Deliberately' is just for sheep to absolve themselves of guilt. Or thought. I tend to go by civilians actually killed. Kind of like there's no excuse for it rather than that 10,000 don't count it was unintentional.

Let's drop a nuke on that military target. Hey you killed innocent civilians.... doesn't count sorry -military target.

I think I'd rather have the terrorists. They kill less people.

That's one down

2) Those goals don't involve imposing a radical, freedomless ideology on the rest of the world.

Classic - I couldn't have described what they do impose any better than that. Nothing to add - you said it all. That is EXACTLY what they do.
post #795 of 882
...and this is what the world ignores.

A simple question: what use is talk of 'terrorism' and 'evil' in relation to the opponents of people that are capable of this?

This is the reality. This is what Israel is and what Israel does. Always has.

The world has given the a blank cheque - even now the US Is rushing them more weapons to do more of this work - and again the world turns their backs.

Who will deal with this sickness?

Extremely graphic - don't click unless you know what you are doing....
post #796 of 882
The situation along the Israeli border shows Hizbollah to be of tremendous sophistication and firepower, having state of the art weapons and training that in many instances caught the IDF flatfooted.

The combat ability being demonstrated by Hizbollah implies that it would have eventually engulfed Lebanon. The \\"state-within-a-state\\" would become the state. The IDF, the US, the Saudis, other Sunni arab states, are now in battle for the very existence of a Lebanese state, without which its absorption into Hizbollah was only be a matter of time.

The \\"international community\\" relied on UNIFIL to monitor the threat of Hizbollah. The Hizbollah threat, as is has turned out, was nothing like UNIFIL had reported, or rather, failed to report. Recent events have shown the surprising extent of the Iranian threat that has been ranged not only against Israel but the Lebanese state. It is also suggestive of the threat Iran may be building against the US.

Hope that the world is better served by Mohammed el-Baradei and the IAEA than it was by UNIFIL.
post #797 of 882
No replies...sums it up....
post #798 of 882
Quote:
[B]No replies...sums it up....

Here's some more.

THIS IS WHAT INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM LOOKS LIKE

Here's a small sampling of the carnage wreaked on innocent Lebanese civilians by a gang of unpoliceable thugs, funded and supported by the United States, and egged on by butchers like Condoleezza Rice and the NeoCon terror gang in the White House.

All of this was fired off by Israel's bogus claim that two of its soldiers were abducted.

The Israelis were well inside of Lebanon when they were captured

Of course the US media, in its default obeisance to the Jewish state, spun the story backwards to fool the Middle America readership into believing that Hezbollah was the aggressor. But thats too easy, because we here in the US/UK axis know that folks north of the Lebanese border are all terrorists and the Israelis are always so decent and lawful (provided they aren't Arab Israelis of course).
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #799 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
The Palistinians are like the current day Lebonese - the crime was committed by Egypt and Syria, and the Palistinians got caught in the crossfire.

Before illuminating the world with your senseless 'analysis', perhaps you should learn the name of the subject you're speaking of:

1. Palestinians.
2. Lebanese.
post #800 of 882
Quote:
Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

No. I'm showing occurences where different categories of people are treated under different sets of laws.

With the exception that one category of those people (the diplomats) are specifically given a right to reside in the territory, by the authority of that territory (i.e. the State). They didn't just board a ship, rent a house, call it an Embassy, and walk around claiming they're diplomats.

They're diplomats in that country, hence treated with different laws, because the host country accepted them as such. No such thing occurred with the illegal settlers in occupied territories of Palestine.

Nice try though.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › All old Israel/Lebanon threads merged in here