or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Lebanon Conflict

The Lebanon Conflict

post #1 of 335
Here is the only thread dedicated to the leban conflict. Any post about the leban conflict belong here.
post #2 of 335
Today E Olmer declared that Israel was OK for letting a UNO force control south leban and desarm the Hezbolah.

A former french general who was the chief commander of the french troops some years ago gave his advice during an interview
" it remind me the time when we, the US and some other countries were in charge of this mission. Via the Hezbolah the Iran retaliate against France and the US via the bombing who killed many of our soldiers. If we go there an another time, we must be ready to lost many others soldiers's lives. "
post #3 of 335
Have you ever heard such BS? Here are the crocodile tears at their most embarassing and egregious.. Emotional Blackmail Inc.

Condoleezza Rice "concerned" about the Lebanese;
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...acy/index.html

Blair: "it's a catastrophe"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5209778.stm

The insincere, smarmy public utterances by the achitects of global violence and misery are undoubtedly 180º out of phase with what they talk about in their private discussions. As if Rice, Rumsfeld, Blair, and their bosses give a damn about mass slaughter... well as long as DynCorp, SIAC, McDonnell Douglass, Lockheed Martin etc etc are making a killing from the killing, its all OK.

Don't forget, our 401Ks probably depend to a large extent on mass bloodshed. Feels great doesn't it!
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #4 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Have you ever heard such BS? Here are the crocodile tears at their most embarassing and egregious.. Emotional Blackmail Inc.

Condoleezza Rice "concerned" about the Lebanese;
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...acy/index.html

Blair: "it's a catastrophe"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5209778.stm

The insincere, smarmy public utterances by the achitects of global violence and misery are undoubtedly 180º out of phase with what they talk about in their private discussions. As if Rice, Rumsfeld, Blair, and their bosses give a damn about mass slaughter... well as long as DynCorp, SIAC, McDonnell Douglass, Lockheed Martin etc etc are making a killing from the killing, its all OK.

Don't forget, our 401Ks probably depend to a large extent on mass bloodshed. Feels great doesn't it!

When it comes to politicians the important point is if they want to please or not their public opinion.
It seems that public opinion is very worried to see that the fragile democracy named Leban could collapse if nothing is done immediatly.

For me, whatever I think or not of Blair or Rice, I think it's a good thing, that they declared to be concerned. It's much better than deny.
post #5 of 335
Sincerity is seldom part of the political process. You usually need to settle for getting what you want for the wrong reasons.
"some catch on faster than others"
post #6 of 335
Where is this UN force that will stand between the Arabs and Israelis coming from? Lichtenstein? Trinidad/Tobago?
post #7 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Where is this UN force that will stand between the Arabs and Israelis coming from? Lichtenstein? Trinidad/Tobago?

East Texas. Deap East Texas
post #8 of 335
Quote:

Anyone who can work a "Knight's Tale" quote into a political argument has my vote!
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #9 of 335
Quote:

I don\\'t give a shit about trying to understand what motivates Islamists, I just want them gone, vanished, taken up by the mother ship, all of them. They\\'ve been shoving crap at the world for centuries. We have to beat them every century, but now the Bomb and A.Q.Khans are all over the place, and one day soon they\\'re gonna ignite one of them Bombs all over us.
post #10 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by occam whisker
I don\\'t give a shit about trying to understand what motivates Islamists, I just want them gone, vanished, taken up by the mother ship, all of them.

Silly rabbit. How can you beat something if you don't understand it?

Clue: you may find yourself making the problem worse or repeating history ...
meh
meh
post #11 of 335
Quote:

Normally it will come from Europe. But it's not a cakewalk, the Hezbollah killed many UN soldiers in the past (bombing). Hezbolah is the Iran tool. And right now Iran is pleased that the world focus on the middle east rather than on them.

The Hezbolah is the center of the problem, but I don't think that the way Israel manage this conflict, will solve it, and even if they suceed in that task it will be at the cost of the end of leban.
post #12 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
Silly rabbit. How can you beat something if you don\\'t understand it?

I don\\'t intend to beat the serpent. I intend to kill it.
post #13 of 335
Quote:
Silly rabbit. How can you beat something if you don\\'t understand it?

Silly Rabbit? That made me smile.
post #14 of 335
Quote:

You're not listening. You can't kill it if you don't understand how it thinks. You'll keep missing it or making it angry.
meh
meh
post #15 of 335
Looks like Israel are getting bogged down in Lebanon according to the Hebrew military analysts Debka.com.

Quote:
DEBKAfiles military analysts say that the way the Israel-Hizballah war has been prosecuted up until Monday, July 24, is more likely to bring Nassrallah closer to his war objectives than Olmert.

Notwithstanding the IDFs important battle gains at a number of focal South Lebanese points in the last 24 hours including the latest raids on the outskirts of Bint Jubeil on the heels of the capture of Maroun er Ras only one multiple firing rocket launcher (picture) and 6 single-barrel launchers have been destroyed.

Last week, Israels army chiefs believed they had encountered Hizballahs primary war tactic Viet Cong-style guerrilla warfare out of hundreds of small bunkers scattered across the country. This week had scarcely begun when a still more formidable impediment was discovered: Hizballah camouflage techniques borrowed from the Japanese in the 1945 Iwo Jima battle.

Essentially a guerilla war - where it is axiomatic that resistance forces holding their own terrain always win.

With US losing massive ground in Afghanistan and Iraq the abortion it is, it has long been known that the WOT is dead in the water (not that it ever existed) and the grand Bush project of 'Undending War' (On Islam) is now just a pathetic winger wet dream and receding by the minute.

Really, Israel was the last hope and the US had bet the house on her in desperation. Now it looks like the was is going to be a protracted affair it is unlikely your average Joe will have the stomach for it.

By their monumental ***-ups the US have handed victory to a bunch of rag-tag extremists and it is hard to see what options they now have. Attacking Syria would be a cakewalk but then Iran would pitch in and that would be Goodnight Vienna for the Crusaders.

I guess they were never going to just see sense and join Civilization but I for one won't be sorry to see them disappear from the pages of history. Just a shame they had to kill so many innocents with them.

This really is the Arab world's chance to shake off the shackles of these oppressors and start to build a (non-Western reliant) vibrant new world.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #16 of 335
Quote:

With that logic, you probably would've supported killing every German and Japanese civilian at the end of WWII.
post #17 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
With that logic, you probably would've supported killing every German and Japanese civilian at the end of WWII.

That was the logic in general. Not to kill everyone but to ensure that the populace was incapable of supporting further war and/or resistance. Hence the massive firebombings of cities.

That was certainly a factor in the successful reconstruction of Germany and Japan.

Vinea
post #18 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Looks like Israel are getting bogged down in Lebanon according to the Hebrew military analysts Debka.com.

Its pretty hard to get "bogged down" a couple weeks in. The PRC managed in their invasion of Vietnam but eh.

Hizballah lost Bin Jubeil.

Quote:
Essentially a guerilla war - where it is axiomatic that resistance forces holding their own terrain always win.

Depends on your objectives. The stated goal for Isreal is to go in, destroy the bunkers and rocket stockpiles and leave. There are also folks in the region willing to help to some degree.

Quote:
This really is the Arab world's chance to shake off the shackles of these oppressors and start to build a (non-Western reliant) vibrant new world.

Riiight. The Arab world isn't even close to the PRC (China) in terms of recapturing past glories. Oil money is the only thing propping up Arab "civilization". You really DO need a unifying Caliphate but not one run by nutjob religious fundamentalists...but really the last of the real Arab caliphates was in what? 1258 when al-Musta'sim was executed by the Mongols?

It has been even longer since Harun al-Rashid.

You'd also have to shake off the effects of the Ottoman oppressors from even before the Western ones.

Vinea
post #19 of 335
Harald,

I know how you think. That is why, what you say causes me to smile.
post #20 of 335
Jester,

Hizbollah is already finished. Israel can stop right now if it wants to, politically it has already won:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008681

Iran played its card. They gained a week or two. So now what?
post #21 of 335
Quote:
You're not listening. You can't kill it if you don't understand how it thinks. You'll keep missing it or making it angry.

Look man! I only need to know one thing: where they are.
post #22 of 335
Quote:

I completely agree. This is not some ordinary fight. How do you fight an enemy who is prepared to die...as children?!?! Instead of being disheartened by the death of their comrades, the radical Muslim is only galvanized in his/her faith. I think they will stop when every. single. one. is dead.

It took nuclear weapons to stop the Japanese & their onslaught of Suicide Bombers. Is the world stable enough for a repeat of that "solution?" I can't imagine it is.

Check out this quote:

"Sheik Muhammad Nassar: Let's listen to a very beautiful story to learn about the courage of a child, and how, when a child is brought up in a good home, and receives proper education in faith, he loves martyrdom, which becomes like an instinct for him. He can never give it up."

Likewise, check out this link. I find the videos...chilling:

http://www.memritv.org/Search.asp?ACT=S5&P1=165#

(warning: strong anti-jewish content)
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
post #23 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by vinea

In the red corner: Harald and all the greatest philosophers of war throughout history. Know your enemy.

In the blue corner: gibbons ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh. People who make the same mistakes again and again. Losers. Losers of wars.
meh
meh
post #24 of 335
Harald,

We\\'ve had a long acquaintance with this enemy. This enemy isn\\'t a complex enigma, at least not to me, and I bet not to Vinea.
post #25 of 335
Quote:
In the red corner: Harald and all the greatest philosophers of war throughout history. Know your enemy.

In the blue corner: gibbons ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh. People who make the same mistakes again and again. Losers. Losers of wars.

In the red corner: Harald and no sense of humor or recollection of movie lines.

In the blue corner: Folks that like to make fun of Harald.

Its not difficult to understand this enemy and his motivations. He wants us dead (or converted) because we don't agree with his world view. He wants us dead (or subjugated so he can do unto us) because of past wrongs (real or imagined). He wants us dead (or stripped of all posessions) because he's poor and we aren't. He wants us dead (or out of his area).

Since he has the weaker hand he uses the same terrorist techniques the weaker side has always employed in history. The details change but the general strategy is the same as are the counters if we are ruthless enough to employ them.

We aren't as ruthless as we need to be or conspiracists think we are so the best thing is to build electric cars, fully develop alternative energy, reduce dependence on oil and get the hell out of the region as soon as humanly possible (a few decades from now hopefully).

That's tougher for Israelis to do but without oil money their opposition can't afford the shiney toys they are using today.

Vinea

PS A conservative driving a Hummer is funding terrorists and an idiot. Conservatives should be flocking to hybrids and demanding electric cars. Screw the trees...think of the troops.
post #26 of 335
post #27 of 335
Vinea,

It\\'s the Russians that have made out like bandits from the current situation. The Jihadis are so economically inept, they\\'re barely managing to stay afloat.

The Russian have been trying for decades to destabilize the region, to drive up the price of oil. Forget electric cars. What we need to do is make a deal with the Russians. Maybe if you Liberals drive more Russian Ladas we\\'ll get more constructive results.
post #28 of 335
Israel kills four UN observers:

Quote:
Four United Nations peacekeepers have been killed in an Israeli air strike on an observation post in south Lebanon.
UN Secretary General Kofi Annan said he was "shocked" at the "apparently deliberate targeting" of the post. Israel has expressed "deep regret".

emphasis mine.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #29 of 335
Good shooting IDF!
post #30 of 335
Here is a documentary on living in the occupied areas. It is rather long and once you get over your prejudice and watch it, you will get some insight.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23714384920696
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #31 of 335
I\\'m sure the local Lebanese whores could use a rest from these worse than useless \\"peacekeepers\\".
post #32 of 335
Religion as a Tool:

Islam is a big religion. It is complex, but we don\\'t need to care or to understand the half of it. It is not needed to understand how it is used. Islam is being used as a tool of connection.

There are millions of people who have read the Koran or its translation and they all seem to have different opinions about it. My contention is that Islams actual nature is irrelevant. It is big and complex and that is enough to make it useful. Islam provides a brotherhood of community, the Ummah, between Muslims, and it thus serves to redirect grievances externally.

The people who pay for the madrassa, the schools of Islam, are Kings and Dictators. They are the most insanely rich people on the planet. They gain this wealth mostly by selling the resources of their countries to the outside world. They are infamous debauchers, fornicators and unobservant Muslims, but they are Muslims. The brotherhood bestowed by the religion is used to maintain their power. They are as a brother to the one they oppress.

Islam teaches the importance of keeping pure faith strong against outside influence. Islam teaches that is the cure for all problems, that if Islam can be made strong enough, the world will be made right. All that stands between Muslims and perfect happiness are unIslamic influences.

This is most useful in keeping the peasants in line. When a peasant looks upon his life and sees that he is poor with little chance of becoming rich, Islam teaches him that he is part of a greater family that cares for him. It also teaches that his troubles are due to stress being placed upon this family by outsiders. Islam shows the clear path of responsibility is to protect the Ummah. Preachers that tell him this are paid for by the King, who is as far from being poor as it is possible to get. The King has no intention of improving the life of the peasant; there is no reason for the King to do so. Couple this faith directed grievance towards external oppression and an efficient internal police network, and all the Kingdoms trouble makers can be redirected or crushed.

A big problem for the King is that if the peasants manage to flee outside the limits of his control. Such ex-peasants may be poor, but in their new circumstances they also see ways of making themselves richer. If they become rich, improving their lot whilst living among outsiders, they may start to question the whole \\"it is outsiders, pushing us down\\" meme. They may start to question the role of the King in religion. To counter this, the King exports his religion - sending his preachers to mosques and his teachers to the madrassa, the world over. The King funds violent groups to provide an outlet for the fervent believers. And these fanatics are used to scare others into line who might question this religion.

More: http://warisforwinning.blogspot.com
post #33 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by vinea

Knight's Tale AND Aliens in ONE THREAD?!? IT'S JUST TOO MUCH!!!

PS: Remember that the character who said that died. A lot.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #34 of 335
Quote:
Good shooting IDF!

God, you sound just like Mika. But you can't be because he was banned for being obviously sick in the head, doing nothing but provoking people, not learning from mistakes and being generally a total cunt.
meh
meh
post #35 of 335
Quote:
I\\'m sure the local Lebanese whores could use a rest from these worse than useless \\"peacekeepers\\".

a joke?
post #36 of 335

Since hostilities started UNIFIL has been documenting its activity through a series of press releases:

Lebanon - UNIFIL - UN Documents

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/mission...nifilpress.htm

July 17:

The Lebanese government requested UNIFIL to provide a humanitarian escort to the villagers seeking safe passage outside of Marwahin. UNIFIL dispatched a patrol the village the same day, which stayed with the villagers throughout the night. Yesterday, UNIFIL was able to provide a humanitarian escort to 283 villagers from that area to Tyre. During this mission, the team came under fire, which endangered the lives of local civilians and UNIFIL troops. Initially, Hezbollah fired rockets from the vicinity of the village and subsequently the IDF fired into the village on two occasions.

July 18:

Heavy exchanges of fire continued all along the length of the Blue Line during the past 24 hours. Rockets were fired from Lebanese territory, and there was intensive shelling and bombing from the Israeli side.

All UNIFIL positions in the area of operation are permanently occupied and maintained by the troops. There were 15 incidents of firing close to UNIFIL positions, and a position close to the village of Marwahin suffered on direct hit from the Israeli side causing material damage, but no injuries. UNIFIL is still facing serious restrictions in its freedom of movement through the area due to the ongoing hostilities and severe destruction of roads and most of the bridges. Yesterday, UNIFIL dispatched a re-supply of food, water, and fuel to its positions.

July 19:

There were seven incidents of firing close to UN positions. Impacts of Israeli aerial bombardment detonated around 20 land mines in the immediate vicinity of a UNIFIL position south west of the village of Yarun, and caused an outbreak of fire. The troops were able to extinguish the fire before it reached the position. All UNIFIL positions in the area of operation are permanently occupied and maintained by the troops.

July 20:

There were 31 incidents of firing close to UN positions during the past 24 hours, with three positions suffered direct hits from the Israeli side. Ten artillery shells impacted inside UN position of the Ghanaian battalion on the coast in Ras Naqoura, causing extensive damage. Four artillery shells impacted inside the patrol base of the Observer Group Lebanon in the Marun al Ras area, including three direct impacts on the building which caused extensive damage and cut electricity and communication connections. At the time of the shelling, there were 36 civilians inside the position, most of whom were women and children from the village of Marun Al Ras. There were no casualties. One artillery shell impacted inside the UNIFIL Headquarters compound in Naqoura, causing extensive damage and danger to the UNIFIL hospital where the doctors were operating at the time. Splinters of artillery shells also damaged the boundary wall of the Naqoura camp. Extensive shelling damage was reported in the Ghanaian battalion position south of Alma Ash Shab. Hezbollah firing was also reported from the immediate vicinity of the UN positions in Naqoura and Maroun Al Ras areas at the time of the incidents.

July 21:

There were seven incidents of firing close to UN positions during the past 24 hours, with three positions suffering direct hits from the Israeli side. Three artillery shells impacted on the building inside the patrol base of the Observer Group Lebanon (OGL) in the Marun Al Ras area, causing extensive damage to the buildings and vehicles, but with no casualties. Four artillery shells also hit this position a day earlier. There are 34 civilians from the village of Marun Al Ras inside the position. One artillery shell impacted inside the UNIFIL Headquarters compound in Naqoura yesterday evening, and one impacted inside a Ghanaian battalion position in the area of the village of Marwahin this morning. No casualties were reported, but there was material damage. UN equipment and vehicles were also damaged by splinters in the Ghanaian battalion position in the area of At Tiri in the central sector, and in the patrol base of the OGL in the Khiyam area in the eastern sector.

July 23:

There were seven incidents of firing close to UN positions from the Israeli side during the past 24 hours, mainly due to aerial bombardment in the area of the patrol base of the Observer Group Lebanon in Khiam. All UNIFIL positions in the area of operation remain permanently occupied and maintained by the troops. Yesterday, UNIFIL re-supplied a number of UN forward positions close to the Blue Line, including two positions in the Marun Al Ras area. Additional re-supply convoys are planned for today. UNIFIL provided escort to 150 members of the Lebanese Joint Security Forces and to a number of civilians from Bint Jubayl to Tibnin.

July 24:

One unarmed UN military observer, a member of the Observer Group Lebanon (OGL), was seriously wounded by small arms fire in the patrol base in the Marun Al Ras area yesterday afternoon. According to preliminary reports, the fire originated from the Hezbollah side during an exchange with the IDF. He was evacuated by the UN to the Israeli side, from where he was taken by an IDF ambulance helicopter to a hospital in Haifa. He was operated on, and his condition is now reported as stable. There were nine other incidents of firing close to UN positions during the past 24 hours, with two positions suffering direct hits from the Israeli side. Two aerial bombs impacted inside the Ghanaian battalion headquarters in the area of Tibnin, and three mortar rounds impacted inside an Indian battalion position in the Adaisseh area, causing extensive damage to the buildings and vehicles in both cases, but no casualties. Four aerial bombs impacted in the immediate vicinity of a Ghanaian position in the area of Brashit, and eleven tank rounds impacted in the immediate vicinity of a Ghanaian battalion position in the Rmaich area causing significant material damage.

July 25:

Four members of the Ghanaian battalion with UNFIIL were lightly injured yesterday evening, when a tank round from the Israeli side impacted inside their position south of Rmaich. They were evacuated to the UNIFIL hospital in Naqoura and their condition is stable. There was also extensive material damage to the position. There were six other incidents of firing close to UN positions from the Israeli side during the past 24 hours. This morning, Hezbollah opened small arms fire at a UNIFIL convoy consisting of two armored personnel carriers (APC) on the road between Kunin and Bint Jubayl. There was some damage to the APCs, but no casualties, and the convoy was obliged to return to Kunin.

===

UNIFIL\\'s official mandate is to

a) Confirm the withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon

b) Restore international peace and security

c) Assist the Government of Lebanon in ensuring the return of its effective authority in the area.

If each of the press releases is read in their entirety is manifestly clear that UNIFIL is performing none of these authorized missions. Instead it has become a kind of ambulance and relief service for the killed and injured in Hizbollah land. The releases are peppered with accounts of UNIFIL personnel escorting what are described as \\"civilians and villagers\\" to places of safety. This is not part of its mandate, nor do we know that these \\"civilians and villagers\\" are not in reality Hizbollah fighters.

UNIFIL observers have been colluding with Hizbollah and I have written on that in previous posts. The UN has been repairing roads in Hizbollah controlled areas that Israel had destroyed to cut Hizbollah off. UNIFIL is part of the problem. It is the reason Hizbollah was able dig in their vast complex of defenses and the reason Hizbollah was able to amass their huge quantity of rockets in the first place.
post #37 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by progmac
a joke?

Nope.
post #38 of 335
Quote:
God, you sound just like Mika. But you can\\'t be because he was banned for being obviously sick in the head, doing nothing but provoking people, not learning from mistakes and being generally a total cunt.

Save it for your boyfriend.
post #39 of 335
Quote:
God, you sound just like Mika. But you can't be because he was banned for being obviously sick in the head, doing nothing but provoking people, not learning from mistakes and being generally a total cunt.

Didn't OW say he was Mika at one point?
post #40 of 335
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Didn\\'t OW say he was Mika at one point?

Nope. That would be Fellows.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Lebanon Conflict