or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Kiva.org
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kiva.org - Page 3

post #81 of 107
One of my loans was just disbursed, but the other has already made two payments.
post #82 of 107
I believe I heard a story on NPR recently about Micro-Loans. I am very interested in participating in this and think it is a terrific idea.
post #83 of 107
Thread Starter 

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #84 of 107
OK, so Nick the Republican and BRussell the Democrat had a bet on the election, and since I won the bet (woohoo!) Nick has to give $100 to Kiva. I'll let him pick his client(s) and then post here.
post #85 of 107
Thread Starter 
Actually upon examination, I discovered that wouldn't be nearly so fun.

I learned something cool about Kiva and cool for those of you looking for Christmas/Holiday gifts.

You can go to Kiva.org and purchase a gift card.

BRussell has been sent a PM that will allow him to redeem his gift card and loan the money associated with it out.

As the money is paid back, he can loan it out again and again. It really is a gift that keeps on giving.

Congrats on the election call BRussell. Your snooty high-falootin' polls beat out my ESP and then some.

As an update, the loan to Rose was completed and she has already made two payments on it.

Because two of the loans did not go through, I have the money associated with them still available to loan. BRussell can post who he has loaned to here and, assuming the loans are still open, I'll add the same amount to the loan he does.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #86 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman

Actually upon examination, I discovered that wouldn't be nearly so fun.

I learned something cool about Kiva and cool for those of you looking for Christmas/Holiday gifts.

You can go to Kiva.org and purchase a gift card.

BRussell has been sent a PM that will allow him to redeem his gift card and loan the money associated with it out.

As the money is paid back, he can loan it out again and again. It really is a gift that keeps on giving.

Congrats on the election call BRussell. Your snooty high-falootin' polls beat out my ESP and then some.

As an update, the loan to Rose was completed and she has already made two payments on it.

Because two of the loans did not go through, I have the money associated with them still available to loan. BRussell can post who he has loaned to here and, assuming the loans are still open, I'll add the same amount to the loan he does.

Nick


I love this place because of guys like you... and I just received a PM from an old friend of mine and ours and it has blessed the socks off of me and made me a little emotional.

God Bless you all....

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #87 of 107
You are a good man, Nick.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #88 of 107
I just discovered this thread.
post #89 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

OK, so Nick the Republican and BRussell the Democrat had a bet on the election, and since I won the bet (woohoo!) Nick has to give $100 to Kiva. I'll let him pick his client(s) and then post here.

Très cool!
post #90 of 107
FWIW:

$150 total, $25 each

588: begun August 13, $5.56 paid back
600: cancelled, nothing paid back yet
601: cancelled, nothing paid back yet
823: begun October 09, $1.40 paid back
834: no start date set
847: no start date set
post #91 of 107
OK, so I got the $100 gift card from Nick and I've put it in the following:

1558, 1620, and 1622. I gave kiva the requested donations of 10% ($2.50 for each of the $25 loans), but then I couldn't give a 4th loan because I only had $20 left, so I just donated that to kiva as well.
post #92 of 107
Thread Starter 
BRussell rocks. I gave $25 to those three loans as well.

Chucker double rocks just because he updates regarding his loans.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #93 of 107
Christmas is coming, people. Let's do some good with that money you have earmarked for iPods.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #94 of 107
Thread Starter 
CNN

Quote:
"We must address the root causes of terrorism to end it for all time," he said. "I believe putting resources into improving the lives of poor people is a better strategy than spending it on guns."

Pick some loans people.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #95 of 107
Thread Starter 
A little self-conversation perhaps, but just thought I would toss out a Kiva update.

Loan 588 is 66% repaid

Loan 1558 is 16% repaid

Loan 1620 is 25% repaid

Loan 1622 is 8% repaid

The latter three loans were started later and thus are not as far along in terms of repayment.

There was a thread recently in PO where illegal immigration was discussed. Many parties concurred that regardless of where you stand in the political spectrum, investment in Mexico would be a good thing.

So I conveniently have three loans that need funding from... tada Mexico.

Leobardo Camacho

Maricela Ruiz

Juana Reyna

If you decide to loan to these or any other loans, please share here. Those tax returns are coming in. Kiva has this to say about repayment.

So far, Kiva has experienced a 100% repayment rate on all businesses with completed loan terms.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #96 of 107
Thread Starter 
Just thought I would share that two of my Kiva.org loans have been fully repaid and thus the funds are available to lend out again.

Rose Mbabazi

Maria Aguas

This means I now have $100.00 of Kiva credit to reloan. I'll use it to match the first four seperate loans that different people here contribute to at Kiva. If you really enjoy being cruel to me someone can fund $100 of loans themselves (spread across multiple loans if they so choose) and I'll toss in another $100 to match it.

What say you fellow Appleinsiders and Mac users?

$100 to match four $25 contributions from four different (hopefully new) people.

$100 to match the $100 worth of contributions from one person in whatever loans they desire.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #97 of 107
Thread Starter 
Wow!

Quote:
Due to a recent surge in support ignited by viewers of the Oprah Winfrey Show and readers of President Clinton's newly released book Giving, there is currently a shortage of businesses in need of loans. The Kiva.org staff and our Field Partners are working overtime to get more businesses on the website. In the meantime, thank you for your patience!

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #98 of 107
That's crazy, I haven't really had time to reply, but I have a loan that was repaid and I need to find a new loan for and my other loan has been making timely payments.
post #99 of 107
WOW I wondered what the book was about..

That is cook Nick.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #100 of 107
Thread Starter 
I have had three loans repaid and today I decided to reinvest the $75 back into three loans. One of them fully funded but I submit the other two for your consideration.

Julio
Fatmeh Group
Fatimakhon

I'll match $100 to four new contributors to Kiva.org. You join and contribute $25 toward a loan and I'll match the first four people between here and Applenova.

Here is my lender page if you want to view the performance of past and present loans. As you can see, I've been recycling funds paid back to new loans. If any of you have lender pages or updates please let us know.

Give it up folks.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #101 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have had three loans repaid and today I decided to reinvest the $75 back into three loans. One of them fully funded but I submit the other two for your consideration.

Julio
Fatmeh Group
Fatimakhon

I'll match $100 to four new contributors to Kiva.org. You join and contribute $25 toward a loan and I'll match the first four people between here and Applenova.

Here is my lender page if you want to view the performance of past and present loans. As you can see, I've been recycling funds paid back to new loans. If any of you have lender pages or updates please let us know.

Give it up folks.

Cool stuff,,,

Look at this Nick,,,

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...use/index.html

Just amazing...

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #102 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Cool stuff,,,

Look at this Nick,,,

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...use/index.html

Just amazing...

Fellows

Those parents are teaching their children an incredibly stupid lesson and are selling their biggest asset in order to teach that mistake.

I said to my dad, 'If that guy didn't have such a nice car, then that guy could have a nice meal,' " the 15-year-old from Atlanta, Georgia, recalled.

Wealth is created. The car and meal are not linked in any fashion.

Sorry that you and I don't see eye to eye on this Fellowship.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Those parents are teaching their children an incredibly stupid lesson and are selling their biggest asset in order to teach that mistake.

I said to my dad, 'If that guy didn't have such a nice car, then that guy could have a nice meal,' " the 15-year-old from Atlanta, Georgia, recalled.

Wealth is created. The car and meal are not linked in any fashion.

Sorry that you and I don't see eye to eye on this Fellowship.

Nick you don't have to see eye to eye with anything I submit for consideration.

I think the story shows a family that "realized" they don't really need as much materialism to support a healthy lifestyle. So the idea they came to is one to share the blessings they have been given with others who are less fortunate.

It really is a rare thing to see in our modern selfish me! me! me! culture..

And I say this as a person who is just as guilty as the next. I am not preaching I am just standing here looking at what this family is doing and it is very inspiring to see a family that shares their blessings.

I think this is the kind of thing society needs to see more of...

People who help others instead of vain television reality shows which are nothing more than vanity, greed, lust and me! me! me!.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
Reply
post #104 of 107
Thread Starter 
Thanks to Chucker for posting this video at AN, as usual, you are awesome.

Thanks to everyone else, especially Nosfera Drew who are awesome lenders and have been investing and reinvesting their money.

I have $100 in Kiva credit available to reinvest.


I'll add a second $100 in increments of $25x4 for the first four people who become new lenders.

If we can't get four new lenders, then the $100 just gets reinvested either way but by doubling my contribution and adding your own it creates a multiplier effect of 300% more money to lend.

I'll post this at the other place as well. I'd love to get four new people among the two places.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #105 of 107
Thread Starter 
117788

117801

Yes, I'm still doing this and yes, you should do it too. I looked back at the beginning of this thread and the first loan financed with help of people at this forum was loan number 600. Those are the loan numbers above to which I contributed today. That is some awesome assistance that is happening.

http://www.kiva.org/lender/nicholas8469

I've continued to reinvest the money and occasional add some more. If two people want to start an account and help this time I'll match their contributions with $25 of my own.(Total $50)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #106 of 107
I loaned $25 to the Mongolian lady, thanks for reminding me about this site - my email had changed in the last couple years since I loaned there last, but luckily I still remembered the old one and could log in.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #107 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I loaned $25 to the Mongolian lady, thanks for reminding me about this site - my email had changed in the last couple years since I loaned there last, but luckily I still remembered the old one and could log in.

Thanks so much!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Kiva.org