or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)

Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)

post #1 of 113
Apple Computer plans to release a wireless Bluetooth version of its popular mutli-button computer mouse, a recent filing with the Federal Communications Commission has revealed.

In the May 6th filing, Apple provided both interior and exterior photos of the device, which it referred to as both "M6" and the "Apple Bluetooth Mouse" in accompanying documents.

Based on the photos, M6 is aesthetically equivalent to Apple's current USB Mighty Mouse peripheral, sans the USB cable. It requires a Bluetooth enabled Mac, Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later and a USB mouse and keyboard (which are used for setup purposes), according to a draft of a user manual also made available through the FCC.

The mouse will also function as a multi-button scrolling mouse with versions of Mac OS X earlier than 10.4.6, the documents state, though other features will be disabled.

"The Apple Bluetooth Mouse, model number A1197, operates in the 2.4 GHz unlicensed Industrial, Scientific and Medical band and uses Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum," Apple wrote in the filing. "This device uses the CSR BC417143B BlueCore4 External which is a single chip radio and baseband IC for Bluetooth 2.4 GHz system. Technical Information on the Apple Bluetooth Mouse is provided in the table below."

Along with the filing, the traditionally tight-lipped Apple made a request for confidentiality to the FCC, asking that certain documents such as schematics and block diagrams not be published.

"These documents contain detailed system and equipment description and related information about the product that Apple Computer, Inc. considers to be proprietary, confidential, and a custom design and, otherwise would not release to the general public," Apple EMC and wireless engineer Mike Kreige wrote.

"Since this design is a basis from which future technological products will evolve, Apple Computer, Inc. considers that this information would be of benefit to its competitors, and that disclosure of the information in these documents would give competitors an unfair advantage in the market."

Apple introduced its wired USB Mighty Mouse nearly a year ago, calling it a solution for power users that offers up to four independently programmable buttons, without compromising simplicity for users who prefer just a single-button mouse. It also features a "Scroll Ball" that lets users scroll in any direction -- vertically, horizontally and even diagonally.

Word of the latest Bluetooth Mighty Mouse filing first appeared on the technology Web site DailyTech.

post #2 of 113
Digg the lab
post #3 of 113
I think that most people have been expecting this. The Mighty Mouse has been out for almost a year now, Bluetooth seems the logical next step for the mouse.
post #4 of 113
Great news!

I'll still be using my MX900 for a while, since I tend to play games, too. My only questionis, what took them so long to go from USB to BT? They should have done so from the start.
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
post #5 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Denmaru
Great news!

I'll still be using my MX900 for a while, since I tend to play games, too. My only questionis, what took them so long to go from USB to BT? They should have done so from the start.

Maybe just for profit sake?
post #6 of 113
It looks like pictures from that alien autopsy video.
post #7 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

Fire in the Sky
post #8 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

Roswell?
post #9 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by josa92
Roswell?

News Flash: Steve Jobs is an alien.
post #10 of 113
Now if only they redesigned the mouse itself.

And why not have two modes: USB and BT? When using USB, the mouse doesn't use the batteries at all. Now that would be innovative.

post #11 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by auxio
And why not have two modes: USB and BT? When using USB, the mouse doesn't use the batteries at all. Now that would be innovative.

I saw a mouse like that, can't remember where. The battery was rechargable and when the batt died, you plugged in the USB cord which recharges the battery. Pretty smart.
post #12 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by jdcfsu
I saw a mouse like that, can't remember where. The battery was rechargable and when the batt died, you plugged in the USB cord which recharges the battery. Pretty smart.

As long as the cord could disconnect on both ends. The beauty of a wireless mouse is that it is wireless. If it just had a little magnet at the tip (for the mouse end) like the new power cords. As long as the magnet was strong enough, this would be great!

-Kerrum

P.S. Why isn't it August 7th already?
post #13 of 113
Quote:

I think you're thinking of the Radtech BT510. I believe the Bluetake BT510 is also the same model. It come in white or black, and sells for $50 +/- $5.

This is fairly useless unless theyve made some other changes. The performance in the mouse accuracy and trackball clogging seem to be plagues with the Mighty Mouse.
post #14 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerrum
As long as the cord could disconnect on both ends. The beauty of a wireless mouse is that it is wireless.

P.S. Why isn't it August 7th already?

Yeah, it could disconnect on both ends. The idea was that it was BlueTooth wireless until the battery died. Then it because USB corded while it charged the battery.

Yeah, that's the one. Linkage
post #15 of 113
whoop-dee-freakin-doo. a wireless, battery-powered Bluetooth mouse.

i've had one (non Apple) attached to my Mac for a year.
post #16 of 113
Yeah Apple has the most retarded mouses. I mean seriously. How come Microsoft can beat them at this? Didn't they freakin invent the thing!? How embarassing. It's just so... WRONG. And frankly, puzzling.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #17 of 113
meh, my vote is fake. Those are photoshopped images.
post #18 of 113
Am I the only one that noticed that the little user manual says its a laser mouse, not optical? Thats a good improvement.
post #19 of 113
My Mighty Mouse is held together by sellotape I've cracked it open so many times to get the crud off the scroll ball wheels. Really bad design. Good idea if you wear latex gloves on your mouse hand.
post #20 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by crees!
Digg the lab

My thoughts exactly!

I was wondering though - Didnt SteveO say something about batteries being a stupid thing that they wanted to overcome? Might have been on KeyNoteCrack though...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #21 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by mugwump
meh, my vote is fake. Those are photoshopped images.

Frankly, I suspect this little leak... those photos are nowhere NEAR good enough to be submitted for patent protection, and they are also non-instructive. My vote is: TIB (This Is Bullshit)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Yeah Apple has the most retarded mouses. I mean seriously. How come Microsoft can beat them at this? Didn't they freakin invent the thing!? How embarassing. It's just so... WRONG. And frankly, puzzling.

Mouses?

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #23 of 113
I'm tired.
post #24 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by West
Am I the only one that noticed that the little user manual says its a laser mouse, not optical? Thats a good improvement.

That would explain why there is only a little circle on this and a hole at least double the size on the current bluetooth mouse (where the sensors are).
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #25 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
Mouses?

"Mouses" is not incorrect in a computing context.
post #26 of 113
I'd like to purchase the bluetooth version of Logitech's MX1000. Too bad it's available only as pat of the MX5000 kit.
post #27 of 113
Quote:

Double negatives are not correct in any context.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #28 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Yeah Apple has the most retarded mouses. I mean seriously.
How come Microsoft can beat them at this? Didn't they freakin invent the thing!?

No.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #29 of 113
Not so mighty mouse. I am sick of not being able to use the left and right buttons at the same time. Why would you, you ask. Well in games with sniper I can look down a scope and fire. With the Not so Mighty Mouse you can't do that. Also if you could use both at once then you can program it to act like an extra button when you press both down. Unless they solve this problem I will continue to use my Belkin Bluetooth mouse. It big but so is my hand and it works great under windows (boot camp... yay).
post #30 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by tetzel1517
Double negatives are not correct in any context.

Um, yes, they can be.
post #31 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Strawberry
My Mighty Mouse is held together by sellotape I've cracked it open so many times to get the crud off the scroll ball wheels. Really bad design. Good idea if you wear latex gloves on your mouse hand.

Que? I don't have one, but I'm guessing the 'rubber' attracts and holds dirt?
post #32 of 113
Thank god, I have been wanting an apple style two button mouse .
post #33 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by ALPICH
Not so mighty mouse. I am sick of not being able to use the left and right buttons at the same time. Why would you, you ask. Well in games with sniper I can look down a scope and fire. With the Not so Mighty Mouse you can't do that. Also if you could use both at once then you can program it to act like an extra button when you press both down. Unless they solve this problem I will continue to use my Belkin Bluetooth mouse. It big but so is my hand and it works great under windows (boot camp... yay).

Well, it never seems to be a problem in the games I play ... hold the right-click to zoom in, push left-click to fire ... I dunno, I've just never had problems. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I love the mighty mouse. It's the right size for my hand and feels like a mouse should. I hate wacky curves, obtrusive balls and needless grips.

Long live the Mighty Mouse. It will continue to get better, just as the iPod and the Mac have over the years...

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 750GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
iPhone 5S, 32GB

post #34 of 113
Ah, a mouse with no tail.
Mr. Scott
Mr. Scott
post #35 of 113
Quote:

Oh dear god. Next we'll talking about mooses and deers.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #36 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Oh dear god. Next we'll talking about mooses and deers.

And Oxen and boxen!
post #37 of 113
wow! i can't wait to own an <M6>!
"Humanity as a collective
subject has to set a limit, and freely renounce
further 'progress' in this direction." - On Windows Vista
"Humanity as a collective
subject has to set a limit, and freely renounce
further 'progress' in this direction." - On Windows Vista
post #38 of 113
Quote:
And Oxen and boxen!

Ugh. That whole "boxen" thing makes me cringe.
post #39 of 113
Quote:
And Oxen and boxen!

Nice.

Hey fielder fielder!
post #40 of 113
Now, if they made a Mighty Mouse that didn't suck we would have a product!

I own a MM - couldn't resist the design. The scroll ball is brilliant. But the lack of right click makes it useless for me, or at the very least much less useful than my Logitech.

To quote a dear friend of mine: "You'd have to be a Cambodian dancer for the motion of raising your index finger to right click to be natural..."

Great design, but it's obvious John Ive never right-clicks.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)