or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available

Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available - Page 2

post #41 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave K.
There doesn't appear to be an education discount on this mouse. Can anyone confirm?

Dave

It's eight bucks cheaper with the edu discount in Canada.
post #42 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
In theory, yes, but the proximity sensing still throws a monkey wrench because a finger near the secondary button while clicking the primary button registers as a secondary button click.

I tried every mighty mouse in the Apple store my last trip there, I couldn't get a single one to right-click properly with consistency! I'll wait until Apple comes out with a true 2 button mouse, not a 1.5 button one...
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Because it's not two real buttons and cannot be used as efficiently as a real second button. The proximity sensing demands that a finger to be away from the left mouse button in order to click the right mouse button, which isn't ergonomic. It's a contrived solution.

Not really. It's just different to older mechanically operated mice buttons which let you leave a finger on the other button. Most people get used to it in no time at all.

Quote:
Left-handed use of this mouse is exceedingly irritating too because it would assume the secondary button for every click.

You can configure the buttons either way. See http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html and watch the preference animation.
post #44 of 112
People who actually own them seem to come to love them very quickly.

I am buying two today. Can't wait.
post #45 of 112
Quote:
In theory, yes, but the proximity sensing still throws a monkey wrench because a finger near the secondary button while clicking the primary button registers as a secondary button click.

Not in theory, in real life. Are you on crack?

I'm quite left handed, and I use my mighty mouse quite well. I think that obviously it's not for everyone, but to insinuate that it's unusable for a left-handed person is just off the wall BS.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #46 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
I tried every mighty mouse in the Apple store my last trip there, I couldn't get a single one to right-click properly with consistency! I'll wait until Apple comes out with a true 2 button mouse, not a 1.5 button one...

It IS a true 2-button mouse my dad has one, and while I prefer my Kensington mouse, I can easily right-click every single time. Perhaps you keep leaving your index finger resting on the left button?
post #47 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay
" In fact, the average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat.

That would explain why there's always so much crap on my desk...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 112
It took me about 3 days of hating it when I first got my Mighty Mouse to finally love it over any other mouse I've ever used.
post #49 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by jasenj1
But where, oh where, are the bluetooth trackballs? *sniff*

- Jasen.

P.S. Thank heaven the Mighty Mouse banner finally pushed the TV ads off the front page of Apple's site!

That's what bothers me. I don't use mice. Trackballs seem to use some other, usually proprietary radio method. I don't want another wireless method.
post #50 of 112
Is this the real precursor to the wireless iPod? A little segue for Steve, perhaps?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #51 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by pmjoe
Bluetooth trackball:
http://www.chwangyi.com/the_ball.html

I don't know why you'd want Bluetooth for something you leave in the same place on your desk all the time though.

I designed my computer desk with two slide out units. The top one holds the remote switchbox, keyboard, and trackball. The bottom, much deeper one holds a 12 x 18 drawing tablet, and rulers etc.

When pulling the shelves out, and pushing them in, wires can get snagged. Even though I have methods to try to prevent that, with a complex set-up, it's impossible. No wires are much better. I use Apple's wireless keyboard, but it doesn't have a USB socket.
post #52 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by TKN
Or maybe that worrying about surface bacteria is about the dumbest thing in the world and a scam perpetrated by disinfectant companies to sell their products.

No.
post #53 of 112
is there anything else that changed, besided the cord?
is the regular mighty mouse laser too?

what about battery life?
post #54 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by hkbaq
is there anything else that changed, besided the cord?
is the regular mighty mouse laser too?

what about battery life?

The old mice were optical and not as accurate as even a normal basic optical Microsoft Intellimouse so hopefully that's a big improvement. I don't know about battery life but the old bluetooth mouse wouldn't run on one battery.
post #55 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
Not in theory, in real life. Are you on crack?

I'm quite left handed, and I use my mighty mouse quite well. I think that obviously it's not for everyone, but to insinuate that it's unusable for a left-handed person is just off the wall BS.

The original driver certainly was unusable, IMO. It might be fixed but I'd have to uninstall USB Overdrive to test it out again.
post #56 of 112
Quote:
Bluetooth trackball:
http://www.chwangyi.com/the_ball.html

ewww... I can't stand the palm trackball mice. Using the thumb is way more precise and less wrist strain since you never actually have to twist your hand.

Quote:
I don't know why you'd want Bluetooth for something you leave in the same place on your desk all the time though.

Say you have you have a really large monitor which you place a long distance away from yourself and so your mouse cable won't reach that far.

Or in my case, I have a pullout keyboard drawer and the cable tends to snag and/or get caught on something every now and then. Or when I connect new devices/change things around, and some other cables pile on top of the mouse cable, weigh it down, causing the mouse to get pulled off the edge of the tray.

post #57 of 112
Quote:
The original driver certainly was unusable, IMO. It might be fixed but I'd have to uninstall USB Overdrive to test it out again.

I have no idea about the original driver, but it works just the same for a right or left handed person at the very least, as of February 06 when I got my iMac.

Being a bit ambidextrous, I have in fact had it set up both ways.

Perhaps you should make sure you're not spouting out of date opinions in the future?
post #58 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
Perhaps you should make sure you're not spouting out of date opinions in the future?

Maybe because I've never seen anything, anywhere, mention an updated driver? Maybe the PPC driver is still behind, the proximity detection is still problematic.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, that wasn't my intention.
post #59 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
Not really. It's just different to older mechanically operated mice buttons which let you leave a finger on the other button. Most people get used to it in no time at all.

I understand that most people might get used to it, but I highly doubt it's ergonomical, especially in light of having to move two fingers to make one click, rather than just one, or always hovering the hand rather than letting it rest.

Quote:
You can configure the buttons either way. See http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html and watch the preference animation.

I know you probably think I am stupid for not trying that, but I really have tried that control panel, the proximity sensing problem ran deeper than that.
post #60 of 112
Quote:

Because when I travel I'd rather just pull out the device (trackball or mouse) and not deal with running cables across a conference table, or hotel bed, or airport chair.

And I have the drawer issue like melgross. My wired keyboard's cable was too short and I had to buy an extender.

And, I'm a Mighty Mouse owner and hater. Came with my iMac. Tried it for a couple weeks. HORRIBLE little creature. (Left-handed too, FWIW).

Thanks for the link, though. If my current Kensington trackball ever dies I may try that one out.

- Jasen.
post #61 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by jasenj1
HORRIBLE little creature.

Oh yeah? Well...

the Mighty Mouse is NOT horrible.

this is an objective, reality based statement, so don't bother responding.
post #62 of 112
The mighty mouse is a joke by Apple to check if Apple fans will take any kind of shit and claim it's the 2nd coming of jesus.

I've used one extensively and can say it's just not as good as even my logitech mx500. That trackball kinda sucks, and by kinda I mean totally. I read the Bluetooth 2 compatibility, does that mean it wont' work with Bluetooth 1 devices, like the G4 powerbook?
post #63 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by 666
The mighty mouse is a joke by Apple to check if Apple fans will take any kind of shit and claim it's the 2nd coming of jesus.

I've used one extensively and can say it's just not as good as even my logitech mx500. That trackball kinda sucks, and by kinda I mean totally. I read the Bluetooth 2 compatibility, does that mean it wont' work with Bluetooth 1 devices, like the G4 powerbook?

Where does it say Bluetooth 2 only?
post #64 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by 666

You can use the BT Mighty Mouse with ANY bluetooth Mac. Some PowerBook G4's had BT 2.0 in them. If its 1.5 GHz or faster then it has a damn good chance of have BT 2.0 in it anyways. Nearly all Macs within the past 2 years have been shipping with at least BT 1.1. I wouldn't worry about it and just buy it if you want. If it doesn't work, send it back, or ask just to make sure before you buy it.
post #65 of 112
Quote:
Left-handed use of this mouse is exceedingly irritating too because it would assume the secondary button for every click.

Are you actually left handed?

Because as a left handed person myself, I smudge when I write, I find it awkward to use buttons on phones (particularly on my mom's Blackberry, which whenever I grab it, I hang up on people), and things like binder-rings are ALWAYS getting in my way and generally pissing me off.

But mouse buttons? I just use my middle finger to click instead of the pointer finger like everybody else.

Just because lots of things designed for right handed people are bothersome for lefties, doesn't mean EVERYTHING is. I move the mouse to the left side. I didn't think anyone actually changed the buttons.
post #66 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Because as a left handed person myself, I smudge when I write, I find it awkward to use buttons on phones (particularly on my mom's Blackberry, which whenever I grab it, I hang up on people), and things like binder-rings are ALWAYS getting in my way and generally pissing me off.

But mouse buttons? I just use my middle finger to click instead of the pointer finger like everybody else.

Just because lots of things designed for right handed people are bothersome for lefties, doesn't mean EVERYTHING is. I move the mouse to the left side. I didn't think anyone actually changed the buttons.

I'm left-handed, and I use it fine. The scroll ball is the only thing that pisses me off.
post #67 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by gregmightdothat

I am right handed, I only mouse left handed half the time. I overstressed myself mousing around in the past, so I switch every so often. I did finally get my MM to work properly left handed, though only under USB Overdrive, so that one issue (of three that I have) is laid to rest.
post #68 of 112
after reading this thread, i have decided that the Appleinsider forums are the new Spymac. bunch of third grade idiots the bulk of you are.

front page only for me.
pe@ce
pe@ce
post #69 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Trans9B
after reading this thread, i have decided that the Appleinsider forums are the new Spymac. bunch of third grade idiots the bulk of you are.

front page only for me.

You sure showed us
post #70 of 112
Quote:

I've used one extensively and can say it's just not as good as even my logitech mx500. That trackball kinda sucks, and by kinda I mean totally. I read the Bluetooth 2 compatibility, does that mean it wont' work with Bluetooth 1 devices, like the G4 powerbook

AMEN! Away with Mighty Mouse!
post #71 of 112
The Mighty Mouse is not a true 2 button mouse, although it functions like one.
Try playing any game that utilizes 2 buttons... like Halo for example. You can't hold one button down and click the other. Just not possible.

So if you like to game once in a while, this mouse is not for you.

As far as the wireless mouse goes, mice with batteries suck for those who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrom. The extra weight wrecks havoc on a damaged wrist, and can also initiate the syndrom.

They don't advertise the weight of the mouse with the batteries included.
post #72 of 112
If there's one thing this thread shows, there's lots of different preferences in mice.

666 likes the logitech mx500. Fine. Personally I find those humped back 'ergonomic' mice with buttons all over the place annoying at best but then even on Windows the best mouse Microsoft ever made IME was this one...

http://www.ideo.com/portfolio/re.asp?x=12328

I've still got a couple in a box somewhere which I've had since 1987 but they're serial port mice and I've no PC anymore. I'd use them on a Mac if I could. Just the right number of buttons, right shape and size. Perfect click action.

So for me, Apple's soap bar shaped mice are an extension of that original design. Small, simple and light in your hand but not too light. I'm not the sort that rests my whole hand on the mouse, just my finger tips. I could probably live without any shell at all on a mouse. I can see though that if you're the sort that uses huge hand movements and you rest your palm on the shell then the Apple mice won't work for you. All the negative insults at anyone obviously stupid enough to prefer Apple's mice is plainly misguided. Everyone has their own tastes in things as personal as mice when they've got to hold them for 8 hours a day or so.
post #73 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by rain
As far as the wireless mouse goes, mice with batteries suck for those who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrom. The extra weight wrecks havoc on a damaged wrist, and can also initiate the syndrom.

They don't advertise the weight of the mouse with the batteries included.

That's one of my grumbles with the old Bluetooth mouse. However, in this new mouse, you can run with just one battery instead of two. The batteries in the BT mouse account for about 2/3rds the weight. So running with just 1 battery will drop the weight by a third. I'd guess that would put it at about the same weight as a corded mouse with the old balls in.

If you need lighter than that, then it's not for you.
post #74 of 112
I noticed a few weeks ago when I was scoping out my desired iMac that it gave the option to upgrade to wireless mouse (not mighty mouse of course) and keyboard. I then read up on some reviews with most saying the keyboard was great but the wireless generic mouse sucked.

Now as I check the applestore it no longer lets you upgrade to wireless mouse or keyboard for the iMac. Seems to me they might be waiting for enough of the new wireless mm's to be in stock to offer this as the new upgrade as well as a new price point. I can't remember what the previous upgrade's price was but I would like to say it was around $50-$70 for both.

I for one would like this to be an option when I purchase my iMac at the end of September. Along with hopefully an upgraded (even if slightly) iMac.
post #75 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by FrenchMac
It's now official! Available for $69!

Only on the US Apple site at least...

I think i'll wait until the new operating system is launched to upgrade both my operating system (from 10.3.9) and buy a new mouse. I've always wanted a mighty mouse but now i have a reason to buy one
post #76 of 112
i saw someone post at macrumors forums that it is not compatible with windows. I'm assuming they are wrong. Anyone?
post #77 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunebug38
i saw someone post at macrumors forums that it is not compatible with windows. I'm assuming they are wrong. Anyone?

Even Apple says it's not compatible with Windows. Without someone trying it out, there's no way to tell. I guess anyone wishing to use BootCamp should hold off or just buy a more reliable and more compatible mouse from some other brand.
post #78 of 112
Quote:
Even Apple says it's not compatible with Windows. Without someone trying it out, there's no way to tell. I guess anyone wishing to use BootCamp should hold off or just buy a more reliable and more compatible mouse from some other brand.

really? was that in the press release or just the product page? I know for a fact I read on apple's product page for the original mighty mouse that it was compatible with windows 2000 and XP
post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally posted by Dunebug38
really? was that in the press release or just the product page? I know for a fact I read on apple's product page for the original mighty mouse that it was compatible with windows 2000 and XP

I'm not lying or imagining things. The wired mighty mouse is indeed compatible with 2k and XP, but the wireless is not, at least according to Apple.

The new product page shows the wireless version as only compatible with 10.4.6:

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/specs.html

Maybe there are drivers in the works but unless someone tries it and confirms it works as-is, I wouldn't use it with a computer intended for BootCamp use.
post #80 of 112
Quote:
I'm not lying or imagining things. The wired mighty mouse is indeed compatible with 2k and XP, but the wireless is not, at least according to Apple.

The new product page shows the wireless version as only compatible with 10.4.6:

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/specs.html

Maybe there are drivers in the works but unless someone tries it and confirms it works as-is, I wouldn't use it with a computer intended for BootCamp use.

right you are. I suppose I was looking for the 20 pt font neon flashing sign that said not windows compatible. Not that apple should have to make it windows compatible by any means, I just assumed it would be given the recent willing accomodation on apple's part.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available