or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple: iPods built to last 'for years,' not 'four years'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple: iPods built to last 'for years,' not 'four years'

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
A spokeswoman for Apple Computer on Friday said she was recently misquoted in a comment on the life-span of the company's iPod digital music players.

Earlier this week, Chicago Tribune quoted Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris as saying iPods have a relatively low failure rate and that they are designed to last "four years."

However, Kerris in a statement to the iLounge on Friday said she was misquoted. The Apple spokeswoman said she told the reporter that the iPod was designed to last "for years," not "four years."

Apple maintains that iPods have a failure rate of less than 5 percent, which it says is "fairly low" compared with other consumer electronics.
post #2 of 29
post #3 of 29
Can someone from the other thread pop in for a quick, "told you so!"
post #4 of 29
There you have it! 2.0 years

The electronics and computer industries are both terrible about hardware longevity and quality control. Apple is the BEST... of a bad bunch!

I wonder what time frame 5% refers to. Is that warranty claims?
post #5 of 29
Idiot reporters. A simple follow-up question would've taken care of this.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 29
That's hilarious. I thought it seemed funny to give an exact length of time like that.
post #7 of 29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nagromme
There you have it! 2.0 years

Well, if you think about it, adding a plural to year doesn't neccessarily make it even 2. For example:

"I have 1 and a half pies "
"add 1 and a quarter cups water"
"the life span of an iPod is 1.0001 years "

post #8 of 29
in other news, Apple announced that their previous Four Core Mac Pro was actually intended to be "Mac Pro For Cores"
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by progmac
Can someone from the other thread pop in for a quick, "told you so!"

Yep, don't believe anything you hear or read and only half you see!
OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #10 of 29
"How to cook fo r humans"

*cleans off dust on cook book*

"How to cook four humans"

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
"How to cook fo r humans"

*cleans off dust on cook book*

"How to cook four humans"


There is a well-known Twilight Zone episode entitled "To Serve Man".
post #12 of 29
V'ger!!!

:d


Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
"How to cook fo r humans"

*cleans off dust on cook book*

"How to cook four humans"

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
"How to cook fo r humans"

*cleans off dust on cook book*

"How to cook four humans"


on the kitchen bookshelf of Jeffery Dahmer...
OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #14 of 29
Since Apple only supports iPods with upgrades to firmware for one year I guess the for years statement means the last half of 2006 and the first half of 2007.

I would not really mind the fact they dont update the firmware for older iPods if the firmware were bug free when they stopped upgrading it.

Apple can say what they want but when upgrade support drops after one year then that is what they consider its useful life.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by rspress
Since Apple only supports iPods with upgrades to firmware for one year I guess the for years statement means the last half of 2006 and the first half of 2007.

I would not really mind the fact they dont update the firmware for older iPods if the firmware were bug free when they stopped upgrading it.

Apple can say what they want but when upgrade support drops after one year then that is what they consider its useful life.

You made this claim in the other thread, and I didn't see any response to my query as to what firmware bugs, exactly, have bit you that Apple refused to fix? And what product have you EVER owned whose software was completely bug-free when support was dropped?

Finally, if you consider it "useful" on day 1, and it's equally useful on day 1460, how can you say it's useful life ended on day 365 because a mythical update you wanted never materialized?

Stop holding Apple to an impossible standard and you'll realize they do pretty well for their customers.
post #16 of 29
We have had every generation of iPod, and at least two in every generation, and every single one with a hard drive has failed. I have no idea what they base the 5% on...you can get any figure you want if you torture data long enough. I still am so attached to them that we continue to buy them for every member of our family and each of us has at least two (I have the video + shuffle). Love the features, hate the failure rate.
post #17 of 29
I'd rather hear Apple say "four" years than "for" years. Seems longer and less vague.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #18 of 29
I have one bought on the very first Saturday they came into existence, which my son refers to irreverently as my iBrick, but for all that it still works...
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
You made this claim in the other thread, and I didn't see any response to my query as to what firmware bugs, exactly, have bit you that Apple refused to fix? And what product have you EVER owned whose software was completely bug-free when support was dropped?

Finally, if you consider it "useful" on day 1, and it's equally useful on day 1460, how can you say it's useful life ended on day 365 because a mythical update you wanted never materialized?

Stop holding Apple to an impossible standard and you'll realize they do pretty well for their customers.

Sorry, I have been seeing several doctors as I have an upcoming surgery and I have not had the time to follow all the threads I have been on.

What has Apple refused to fix? Here is one, the battery display on the 3G iPod. Apple support told me themselves that the display is useless for determining the battery voltage. My 3G had to be replaced soon after I bought it because when it was connected to its dock it would drain the battery and overheat the unit so much it would force it to shutdown. That unit was just replaced with battery problems again.

Sure I find my iPod useful, in fact I love it! I have been using Apple products since 1979 and got a 128K Mac with a serial number of around 1100. I got an eMac and an iPod within months of each other. Within six weeks my eMac had to be repaired due to the raster shift problem and as I have stated before an overheated iPod. Still I love them both!

I am not asking for magic firmware, two things would make me happy. A fix for the battery display and a podcasting menu item on the main iPod menu. If Apple refuses to fix the battery display problem what I am supposed to do? I think Apple should release the code to third parties to allow them to fix problems and add features. Of course this will not happen as the want outdated iPods to sell the next version. That is fine with me but it makes their statements ring a little hollow that they will last for years.

I am on my third replacement. Apple sent me a letter saying I was already part of the 3G lawsuit but I have never received anything from them. I feel I might have been tricked by them not to join the lawsuit. I dont find it a big deal but if true it is kind of scummy. Still I love my iPod and I still use it, I just dont agree with what Apple says.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by progmac
Can someone from the other thread pop in for a quick, "told you so!"

It does feel good to have a suspicion confirmed. I think the real credit goes to aegisdesign, though, for making the first call on it in that thread. 8)
post #21 of 29
You want Podcasting on the Main Menu... Go to Settings |Main Menu | Podcasting:ON It's there!


batt meter not being accurate: Hmmm.. I remember this being the case for EVERYTHING that includes, ipods, latpops and not just Apple's either. In fact, they even made a utility for Apple's laptop to show the accurate batt life. But I think this is just nitpicking stuff if you ask me.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by dnorman
in other news, Apple announced that their previous Four Core Mac Pro was actually intended to be "Mac Pro For Cores"

post #23 of 29
It sounds like the famous Two Ronnies comedy sketch with four candles (fork handles).
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
"How to cook fo r humans"

*cleans off dust on cook book*

"How to cook four humans"


You forgot:

How to cook fourty humans

How to cook for fourty humans


The Simpsons sure do rock.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by nofear1az
You want Podcasting on the Main Menu... Go to Settings |Main Menu | Podcasting:ON It's there!


batt meter not being accurate: Hmmm.. I remember this being the case for EVERYTHING that includes, ipods, latpops and not just Apple's either. In fact, they even made a utility for Apple's laptop to show the accurate batt life. But I think this is just nitpicking stuff if you ask me.

That podcasting feature is not on a 3G iPod......the only reason is that Apple does not wish it to be there.

As far as the battery meter goes if it were a little off it would not be bad but when it shows a full charge and the battery dies after 30 minutes I would consider that a bug. Both Apple tech support and the Genius bar folks have told me the display is useless. Again iPodlinux does not have this problem so it is something Apple could easily fix.

I might consider it nitpicking myself if it were not for Apple saying it was useless. I have a ton of battery powered devices and several chargers and loads of Ni-Cads and NiMh batteries and I am used to small errors in battery displays but the 3G iPod is the worst! I might blame it on one unit but this is my third iPod 3G and they have all be like that.
post #26 of 29
I have had my 3G 20GB model for a litttle over two years and except for one lockup I have not had any problems with mine. My only regret is not waiting a couple of months so I could get the 4G 40GB for the same price I paid for my 20GB.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by rspress
Still I love them both!...I dont find it a big deal but if true it is kind of scummy. Still I love my iPod and I still use it, I just dont agree with what Apple says.

Three words: Battered Spouse Syndrome
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by jamezog
It does feel good to have a suspicion confirmed. I think the real credit goes to aegisdesign, though, for making the first call on it in that thread. 8)

Yep. "told you so".

post #29 of 29
My First Generation iPod still rocks!! Has not had a new battery or any modifications done to it. I love it, it works and it's a 1G. Personally, i think it has a lot to do with the user. And, if Apple are the best of a bad bunch, they're still the best!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple: iPods built to last 'for years,' not 'four years'