or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Forum Upgrade a WIP!

Forum Upgrade a WIP!

post #1 of 83
Guys,

We've (finally) upgraded vBull 3.5. It's very much a work in progress right now. It will take a day to index the forums for search and update all the images. Please report all issues here or to moderators audiopollution and jambo.

Best,

Kasper
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #2 of 83
Thanks for the update. Just a style issue here... I find it visually very difficult to pick out the name of the poster vs. the previous layout, and the little green button next to their names is just more visual clutter. Could the poster's name be in a bold font or somthing to give it a little more clarity?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper

Guys,

We've (finally) upgraded vBull 3.5. It's very much a work in progress right now. It will take a day to index the forums for search and update all the images. Please report all issues here or to moderators audiopollution and jambo.

Best,

Kasper

Looks good but the older layout with every second message being shaded and icons that were smaller was a lot easier to read. If there is a way to use something a little closer to the older setup in the new version, it would be good.

If asthetic was a selling point of the new Vb, get a refund.

EDIT:
OK, scratch that -- a large part of the layout just changed while typing the message, I reserve judgment untill migration and optimization is complete
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #4 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer

EDIT:
OK, scratch that -- a large part of the layout just changed while typing the message, I reserve judgment untill migration and optimization is complete

Yeah -- I just changed it =P

We had the forum skins and layout pretty much complete, but importing only appears to import the sytles and not all of the settings. We'll get it back to looking the way it was, don't worry.

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #5 of 83
I kinda like the layouts and style here: http://www.dvinfo.net

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 83
Is it just Kasper working on this?

If so, I think it would be wise to recruit some help from people who have more time to work on the aesthetic problems here.

Edit: Ah just read Kasper above. Cool.
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Is it just Kasper working on this?

If so, I think it would be wise to recruit some help from people who have more time to work on the aesthetic problems here.

Just me right now, but AudioPollution will hopefully turn up at some point. He did a lot of the prepping with Jambo. Anyone who wants to help, please PM AudioPollution and let him know. We'd very much appreciate some xtra hands around here.

Is the font size a little small for some people? I think we'll increase that.

-K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #8 of 83
Font size is good. Might want to bold the usernames of the mod/admin team so they carry more importance. Other then that, this is a much needed upgrade and all is running smoothly.
post #9 of 83
Quote:

Just me right now, but AudioPollution will hopefully turn up at some point. He did a lot of the prepping with Jambo. Anyone who wants to help, please PM AudioPollution and let him know. We'd very much appreciate some xtra hands around here.

-K

Yes, it's fractionally smaller than before... I feel like I'm reading a faded newspaper.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 83
Quote:

-K

Font size too small...and I have good eyesight.

Seems much smaller than what I'm used to here...
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
an aye for an eye, the truth is a lie; a fish cannot whistle & neither can I.
post #11 of 83
One more request:

Can you shrink the font of the signatures and use a lighter color?
post #12 of 83
What is with the horizontal line separating the bottom part of each reply box (between the reply text and the "quote" button)? It's additional visual confusion for such a boxy layout.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 83
OK, I'll use it a little before posting anything serious, but right now I think it's OK.

However, we lost one thing I did like, which was knowing who was 'active' on the thread.

And, you didn't fix the only thing that I thought was wrong, and that was dating the START of each thread. It would be nice to know how long a thread has been active.

Paz
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer

the older layout with every second message being shaded and icons that were smaller was a lot easier to read.

i'll second that.
it used to have a very distinct and distinguished look to it. in a way, very apple-like.
the new style has a very generic quality to it, more windows-esque ...
post #15 of 83
Ah, I highly like this new reply box!
I really preferred the old 'look' of the forum though, but maybe that is still being workend on?
post #16 of 83
I am really not liking this new look. Where have my light bulbs gone? I know you said it's only temporary, but the forum has lost it's feel. There are too many lines, etc. and the 'minimalism' has kinda faded. I am really struggling to easily read things here.

Oh God, and the signature style has changed. No faded grey! And the buttons. Aaarrgh! Bring back the old forum .

Just one more rant: the alternating colours have gone.
post #17 of 83
If you're working to make everything look as close as possible to the way it was, then I'll be patient.

One thing though: Make sure the forum jump at the bottom of each page doesn't auto link when a forum is selected. IOW, we want to actually click "Go" to do it. I remember that the last time we upgraded the same thing happened. Must be a vB default.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #18 of 83
I like the little blue and gold things by the time. It shows which posts are old or new in a thread.
post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

I like the little blue and gold things by the time. It shows which posts are old or new in a thread.

There was something like that before, too.
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut

There was something like that before, too.

Inside the thread or the forum?
Because I only remember them marking forums.

Oh, well. Doesn't matter. Nice job.
post #21 of 83
Looks like a lot of the normal vBulletin growing pains.

The lines are pretty easy to get rid of on the bottom of posts. I run one o' these here thingies myself (on baseball) ....so it's not to hard to get the hang of.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
post #22 of 83
There are numerous graphic chages which seem to be missing.

I've been AWOL for a week or so due my Dad beginning chemotherapy, but I'll get on this tonight and start sorting out the issues.

As someone mentioned above, there is an issue with the 'new posts in forum' icons not displaying correctly in IE. Perhaps just a change to a different file format will fix that, as they render correctly in Safari & Firefox.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #23 of 83
I've just read over this thread again.

The majority of the concerns that have been raised were actually non-existent on the test forums that we'd been doing the prep work on. Hopefully by the end of the evening I'll have most of the quirks corrected - graphics, etc.
post #24 of 83
The old style was much more elegant and the graphics were minimal and simple. This new look is not warranted and is not an improvement!

also signatures are too large - although i do like the edit view - editing in your place in the thread is better.
post #25 of 83
I like the quick reply at the bottom. Didn't there use to be a clock (for those of us who don't think in GMT) at the bottom of the thread? Overall nice.
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg

I like the quick reply at the bottom. Didn't there use to be a clock (for those of us who don't think in GMT) at the bottom of the thread? Overall nice.

Currently, I only have the time displayed at the bottom of the forum home page. When I've completed copying the graphics over and editing the templates to reflect what we had on the test server, I'll add the time to all forum footers.
post #27 of 83
I don't suppose anything can be done to make this new forum software smarter about handling HTML character entities like   and the like? I can still use things like (ignore the extra space) & #160; now, but every time I preview or edit, entities I have typed in get preconverted into their actual character text, and & #160; in particular annoyingly gets converted into a regular non-breaking space, the kind of space where no matter how many spaces in a row you type all you ever see is one space displayed.

Probably few people give a damn about this, but I'm going to miss the ability to do a little creative text formating that I used to be able to do with character entities. My sig line was a mess of  -s until I fixed it to kinda sorta work with the new forum software.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #28 of 83
Uh, you mean like option-space?******** <-- there

Okay, wow. This is fucked up, and it's not vBulletin's fault.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Uh, you mean like option-space?******** <-- there

Okay, wow. This is fucked up, and it's not vBulletin's fault.

Yep, I'd already tried option-space, and as you can see, it doesn't help. I can't seem to use tricks like alternating bold with non-bold spaces either... the new formatting is utterly determined to make all spaces one space wide. The best I can do is a bunch of &#160; entites, and then enter them straight away without any previewing, and manually put them all back in each and every time I want to edit something where I'd used spacing like that.
post #30 of 83
Gosh. How have I ever gotten by with plain ol' boring text?

post #31 of 83
I would really love the return of the "View Posts Since Last Visit".

Unless I'm missing it somewhere.

Thanks.

--B

post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergz

I would really love the return of the "View Posts Since Last Visit".

Unless I'm missing it somewhere.

Thanks.

--B

It's on the top, right under the "last visit" and time thing. It says "View New Posts."
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu

It's on the top, right under the "last visit" and time thing. It says "View New Posts."

Not the same. Used to have both options.

--B

post #34 of 83
I don't know where to put this comment, but the email notifications aren't working anymore. I have my account and posts set to "Instant Email Notification" but I have not gotten any updates to any threads that have had posts since mine.
post #35 of 83
Good God, Admin... is there anyway you could eliminate text formatting (at least for some of the users)? It's looking like a Wal-Mart Sunday newspaper flyer out there! Making the whole AI experience a blinding headache just trying to read with the extreme formatting allowed in the posts.

Thanks if you could do something about it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 83
Tool Tips are teh suck.

Anywhere where the user can disable them?
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #37 of 83
So... when are we upgrading to vBulletin 3.6?
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergz

Not the same. Used to have both options.

--B

I've added 'View Today's New Posts', which I think is what you wanted. The 'View New Posts' that was active when we first upgraded had the same functionality as on the old forums - it would show you the new posts since you last visited.

With the change I've made today, you have the option of showing all posts in the last 24 hours or all posts since you last visited the forums.
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I don't know where to put this comment, but the email notifications aren't working anymore. I have my account and posts set to "Instant Email Notification" but I have not gotten any updates to any threads that have had posts since mine.

Email notification seems to work now.
post #40 of 83
The giant orange buttons have got to go. One shouldn't have to don polaroids just to visit an internet forum.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Forum Upgrade a WIP!