or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Leopard rumor roundup: unconfirmed rumblings

Leopard rumor roundup: unconfirmed rumblings

post #1 of 77
Apple Computer on Monday will release plans for Leopard, a much anticipated update to its Mac OS X operating system.

Although the software has been under development for nearly two years, reports pertaining to specific feature enhancements have been few and far between.

For its part, Apple has only shed light on a couple of its plans for Leopard: primarily that the software would pack its Boot Camp dual-boot solution and be available for purchase by early 2007.

In an AppleInsider report released earlier this year, reputable sources indicated that Apple was keeping a close eye on the progress of Redmond, Wash.-based rival Microsoft Corp., which is similarly in the latter development stages of its own operating system overhaul called Windows Vista.

Maps and iChat

At the time, those sources said Apple was well aware of both Leopard's strengths when compared to Vista as well as its weaknesses. In somewhat of a catch-up effort, they said Apple had been priming a new geographical mapping solution for Leopard, as well as VoIP features for iChat. They also said Apple had thrown around the idea of releasing Leopard to market under a name other than "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard."

In addition to those rumors, there were also others relative to plans for Apple's iCal, Spotlight and Safari application technologies. Although AppleInsider has been unable to corroborate the rumors with any degree of certainty, they're worth a quick review if for nothing more than the sake of discussion.

iCal

In what would be a broad expansion of the calendar software's internet sharing abilities, it was rumored that the next version of iCal would adopt features reminiscent of third party meeting maker software applications.

The enhanced functionality would presumably allow users to schedule meetings, keep prioritized to-do lists, and coordinate schedules with other users over the Internet or a local network.

Spotlight

On the search front, Apple was rumored to be expanding the reach of its meta data-based Spotlight technology to not only scour a user's local volumes, but also the Internet's largest search engine (Google) and retail store (Amazon).

Safari 3.0

Assuming the reports are accurate, Apple's plans also call for Spotlight to be tied into the next version of the company's Safari web browser. There, it was rumored the technology would play an instrumental role in a new feature that would allow users to group web sites into search channels. Users would then be able to perform web searches across a predefined set of web sites, such as "Apple news" or "Sports."

Other rumors surrounding Safari 3.0 included a new tab-based bookmarks management interface and the ability to save and later search through web histories.

Leopard preview next Monday

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, along with several other Apple executives, will kick off the companys annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote preview of Mac OS X Leopard on Monday, August 7, 2006, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at San Franciscos Moscone West.
post #2 of 77
That about sums it up... we're almost there, anyway. This waiting is making my bunions ache.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 77
I'm not expecting it, but some sort of cross-platform video conferencing capability would be a good idea. Then again, even with that, I have no use for the little iCamera because I don't know anyone that does video calls on any platform.
post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I'm not expecting it, but some sort of cross-platform video conferencing capability would be a good idea. Then again, even with that, I have no use for the little iCamera because I don't know anyone that does video calls on any platform.

Likewise. I know of absolutely no one who is interested in videoconferencing, other than for product demonstrations. And usually what happens is, they'll just FedEx a package instead.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

Ditto. My friends rarely even go on IM anymore.
post #6 of 77
If I had my druthers, I'd get rid of all computers and delegate the shit work to a robot.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 77
I think that's exactly why Apple is including iSights with every Mac, even on the low-end where such frills are not expected. It's a chicken-and-egg problem, and while video chat may never become widespread like email, it sure helps to start putting it people's hands.

Anyway, I hope we get a lot of PUBLIC info about Leopard, and not a lot of closed-doors NDA-protected info (much as I understand the need to let devs know things and not the competition).
post #8 of 77
What about a new kernel or bleeding-edge file system? I find those more interesting than a superficial few tweaks here and there. What about better consistent scripting for apps? Call me an under-the-hood kind of guy.
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme

I think that's exactly why Apple is including iSights with every Mac, even on the low-end where such frills are not expected. It's a chicken-and-egg problem, and while video chat may never become widespread like email, it sure helps to start putting it people's hands.

Anyway, I hope we get a lot of PUBLIC info about Leopard, and not a lot of closed-doors NDA-protected info (much as I understand the need to let devs know things and not the competition).

There is also the lack of high speed is some areas that also holding it back as well.
post #10 of 77
What about a new kernel or bleeding-edge file system? I find those more interesting than a superficial few tweaks here and there. What about better consistent scripting for apps? Call me an under-the-hood kind of guy.

You're an under-the-hood kind of guy.

I think we can expect tweaks to the kernel, but that's not a very sexy or advertisable change. They might just announce file system changes, but those are not the sort of updates rumors would rapidly spread about.

As for video conferencing, I work for a medium-large company and we video conference every now and then, and would do it more often if it were more seamless. We use IM already so a one-click solution would be great. Our telecommuting employees videoconference regularly. I am about to become one, and my girlfriend's temporarily out of state, so I for one am interested in anything regarding video chatting.
post #11 of 77
at the risk of dating myself (i'm only 32, goddammit!) fax machines had a hell of a time taking off too, because, surprise, surprise, BOTH people needed a fax machine. and they are still priced kinda high (though i always kick myself for not just buying one when i suddenly have to send a twelve page fax and have to drive to my local copy shop to do so).

anyway, cameras have to be included with everything for it to work. heck, wasn't one of bill gates' concept pc's a monster with a cell phone and a camera glommed on the sides? he kinda had the tech right, but had no idea how to package it. so there is an urge to push video conferencing on both sides of the platform fence, it just takes someone to put up the money to make it all work.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #12 of 77
iCal - More sharing options alone would be enough for many people to justify the upgrade cost. My dream would be that iCal would get built in Exchange functionality in addition to Apple's own system (perhaps have an iCal server system built into OS X Server).

Spotlight - Please, for the love of God, make it compatible with Xsan! It pains me to manually search though hundreds of folders (fortunately only hundreds in my situation) to find what Im looking for...

P.S. I like these new changes to the forums!
post #13 of 77
It'd be nice to see Apple add support for Reading / Writing to NTFS file systems seeing as they are going to be including Boot Camp-esque features. Wouldn't that be a good sell for Windows users crossing over to the good side?
post #14 of 77
MacOS X 10.5 Leopard? <yawn> \
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #15 of 77
I hope Spotlight searches removable volumes as well.

iCAL could definitely use some love and the sync features could improve a bunch and I'd be happy.

VOIP features sound nice since that's the craze nowadays. I don't really need Maps built into the OS but if that's the case we'll see how it works.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #16 of 77
i like the safari updates, spotlight updates, but man do they need to improve IChat.

ichat is a piece of crap, not to mention extremely lame. also, do something about safari's occasional choke ups and slow downs.

the finder needs much improvement as well.
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn

MacOS X 10.5 Leopard? <yawn> \

OTHER than "MacOS X 10.5 Leopard"
post #18 of 77
Well, maybe it's just me, but I hope an eventual VOIP-solution in 10.5 would be compatible with at least on other existing standard, because I don't know if I can handle yet another VOIP-system...
post #19 of 77
Really, is there a more useless iapp than iCal? I have tried very hard - for many months - to use this pft, but finally gave up. The tiny little squares where there's room for writing like... nothing... the total lack of flexibility... I mean is Apple for real about this app? Or is this some kind of grand joke?

OK, I guess iChat is a close second for uselessness. I mean, now that Skype does video, who is going to bother with iChat? Skype works cross-platform, and has a vast user base. And why is it that iChat is worse than practically any other client out there?

Before they start adding a bunch of useless bells and whistles, how about getting stuff that's already in Tiger to actually work? Because Safari sure doesn't work. I absolutely hate the pinwheel that's generated everytime I follow a link, the hangups, the crashes, the instability... thing is, I like Safari better than FF, but technically FF works a lot better for me... and sadly, there's nothing for OS X that works as well as FF on Windows (though to be fair, I should try Camino before going on too much about this). And it would be nice if Spotlight actually worked - I often stare at a file that Spotlight can't find. It's gotten to the point where I just don't use Spotlight, because I'm pretty well organized, and the few times I actually am looking for something, I have to find it manually, cause Spotlight sure can't. And how about having OS X actually be able to be hotswappable when it comes to external devices instead of freaking out. Plus they still haven't figured out the whole sleep/hibernate process... btw. try removing a USB device, say a mouse while your machine is sleeping - loads of fun...

I could go on like this for pages. But the bottom line is: fix what's already here, before you bloat it up with a lot of new broken toys!
post #20 of 77
What's so bad about iCal? It's good enough to have inspired Microsoft to create Windows Calendar for Vista.
post #21 of 77
I hope that "Geographical mapping solution" part isn't true. Why should Apple waste time reinventing the wheel here? Google Maps is already available, free, and it's nice enough that I can't really think of any way to improve on it.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe

OTHER than "MacOS X 10.5 Leopard"

Wasn't talking bout the name.
I have the same reaction to Vista. But with a shudder.

<chants> tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet......
post #23 of 77
Is it just me... or does this sound really boring so far?

Sounds like small software updates. So far no compelling reasons to switch. I seriously hope there is more in store for an OS that has been in development for over 2 years than safari, spotlight, ical, and ichat.

I'm seriously hoping for a new kernel... maybe finally I can convince my clients to use Xserves instead of fedora boxes for mysql and postgresql...

I'm seriously hoping for a better 3d graphics library than Open GL 1.0.

Lets see some speed improvements and i'm all about it. But so far... rumors are a snore. This can either be really good or really bad... either apple has been really tight lipped because they have great things in store, or tight lipped because there is nothing to talk about. Guess we'll see in a few days.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn

<chants> tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet, tablet......

#include <cmerant>
using namespace "offTopic";

int main()
{

/*
While I'm on the subject, I'll beat it to death some more (yes, I know every one else has had their turn, but dang it, I wanna hit the pinata too!) I'm really anoyed that the only option for a tablet pc is a TabletPC. really annoyed. I'm in college and fliping a full laptop out onto an 8x10" desk in a lecture hall, while sardined in with 300 other students, while trying to balance a 3 inch thick chemistry book on my left knee, a 3 inch think 3 ring binder (which is open... stinking pages tear out every time I try to turn them!) in the crook or my left elbow, gripping a pen between my teeth, click stick eraser behind my right ear, highlighter behind my left, a pencil (has to be automatic, can't spare any room for a sharpener) in my right hand, while trying to manipulate my ti-89 with my left thumb and pinky...... I don't think so. pretty nice that a tablet can combine the notebook, pencil, pen, highlighter, graphing calculator, and computer all into one, plus supports typing (convertables) AND pen input (for getting those dang anoying sketches in.. you know, the ones that suck when you try to draw them with the track pad?), makes them VERY apealing. Especially for a student in a science curriculum when they include the Core2Duo. 64 bit multiprocessor number crunching! Anyone want to simulate three dimensional vector motion of paramecium in a vacuum? eh, well, me neither, but you get my point, eh?

The rest of the world may not be ready for tablets yet, but I think the educational market is. With the tremendous range of software available today, computers have the potential to be tremendously useful. For myself, the only thing that has stood in the way is that pointing on a 2x2 track pad, clicking, and learning complex keyboard shortcut to an already complex task (music notation, math equations, etc) is a terribly non-intuitive method. I may have been raised on computers, but dang it, theres no silicon in my blood yet! Still partly human, and mostly harmless. But that's just because of the tools I have to use.

The industry seems to be going in the right direction, and if Apple chose to step into this arena, we would see some fantastic innovation, I think, just due to the competition alone. There is no alternative to a windows tabletpc that I'm aware of (short of supergluing a Cintiq to a macbook pro), and I think we would be better off WITH some other options.

Blah.
*/

return 0;
}
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

at the risk of dating myself (i'm only 32, goddammit!) fax machines had a hell of a time taking off too, because, surprise, surprise, BOTH people needed a fax machine. and they are still priced kinda high (though i always kick myself for not just buying one when i suddenly have to send a twelve page fax and have to drive to my local copy shop to do so)...

Um.. There is like a $20 fax/modem card for PCs (though you might also need a scanner) and umm... fax/modems built into older Macs and the new USB modem(fax as well I think) for the new Macs. But you might need a scanner...
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineWine

OK, I guess iChat is a close second for uselessness. I mean, now that Skype does video, who is going to bother with iChat? Skype works cross-platform, and has a vast user base. And why is it that iChat is worse than practically any other client out there?

I have to agree. It seems bizarre to me that every new Mac has an iChat camera - and yet the software that supports it is so utterly broken. A quick glance at the iChat forum reveals that hardly anyone without Apple routers at both ends can make a successful video call.

Poor old Ralph Johns tries to help everyone - but getting iChat to work is every bit as bad as fixing an IRQ conflict on a 10 year old PC Soundblaster card.
post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

I have to agree. It seems bizarre to me that every new Mac has an iChat camera - and yet the software that supports it is so utterly broken. A quick glance at the iChat forum reveals that hardly anyone without Apple routers at both ends can make a successful video call.

Poor old Ralph Johns tries to help everyone - but getting iChat to work is every bit as bad as fixing an IRQ conflict on a 10 year old PC Soundblaster card.

I honestly have no idea what people are complaining about. I use iChat to do video conferencing with AIM users, .Mac users, and even Jabber users. I have a Linksys router, and so does everyone that I video chat with.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston

post #28 of 77
These seem like updates, not a new level of OS. It better not exclude Power PC's just yet, but if it does, seems like it'll be no big loss.
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666

These seem like updates, not a new level of OS. It better not exclude Power PC's just yet, but if it does, seems like it'll be no big loss.

You're kidding, right?? The vast majority of Mac users are still on the PPC side of the fence. Why would you want to alienate that target group and say that 10.5 will be Intel only? Honestly, I don't expect an Intel Only version until at least 10.7, probably even later than that.

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666

Just wait for Monday. The rumor-sites don't have real clues for over a year now. Even if some of these "rumors" are true. Apple does have some bigger features in the basket, not mentioned in this article.

Resolution Independence: the technology is completely there since Tiger. Just a GUI is missing. The new mouse-driver for the Mighty Mouse has the zooming feature, which now looks a little unsharp when zoomed very large. This feature will clearly benefit from Leopards integration of Resolution Independence (imagine this feature with crisp clear graphics and text). Another incarnation of this feature will change the screen-Dpi (small UI-elements=more space/big, but perfect crisp high-res UI=less space, but high res scaled UI)

If just a fraction of the rumors I heard about the new spotlight-metadata-integration is true, this will be a big leap forward for Spotlight. Not just boring google-support and a little faster, but revolutionary. Spotlight-integration in Tiger was just absolute basic.

Full NTFS support almost for sure.

But, there will be no (!) multiple Desktops. Sorry guys.
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

I have to agree. It seems bizarre to me that every new Mac has an iChat camera - and yet the software that supports it is so utterly broken. A quick glance at the iChat forum reveals that hardly anyone without Apple routers at both ends can make a successful video call....Poor old Ralph Johns tries to help everyone - but getting iChat to work is every bit as bad as fixing an IRQ conflict on a 10 year old PC Soundblaster card.

Oh, man, try '92-94. Himem.sys and SoundBlaster IRQs. Heh, I remember those. On topic, I have had generally good success with iChat video chats with linksys/ other routers.
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647

Is it just me... or does this sound really boring so far?

Sounds like small software updates. So far no compelling reasons to switch. I seriously hope there is more in store for an OS that has been in development for over 2 years than safari, spotlight, ical, and ichat.

I'm seriously hoping for a new kernel... maybe finally I can convince my clients to use Xserves instead of fedora boxes for mysql and postgresql...

I'm seriously hoping for a better 3d graphics library than Open GL 1.0.

Lets see some speed improvements and i'm all about it. But so far... rumors are a snore. This can either be really good or really bad... either apple has been really tight lipped because they have great things in store, or tight lipped because there is nothing to talk about. Guess we'll see in a few days.

I think the rumors we are hearing about are just the things that will be demoed. There are probably going to be over 200 improvements in this version, too. If you remember when Tiger was released, a lot of us were happier and more excited about the new features that you only found out about by reading Apple's website.

Now, I hope they make iSync work between two Macs without using .Mac. I want to be able to sync my two Macs together without .Mac.
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineWine

Really, is there a more useless iapp than iCal? I have tried very hard - for many months - to use this pft, but finally gave up. The tiny little squares where there's room for writing like... nothing... the total lack of flexibility... I mean is Apple for real about this app? Or is this some kind of grand joke?
<SNIP>

Before they start adding a bunch of useless bells and whistles, how about getting stuff that's already in Tiger to actually work? Because Safari sure doesn't work. I absolutely hate the pinwheel that's generated everytime I follow a link, the hangups, the crashes, the instability... thing is, I like Safari better than FF, but technically FF works a lot better for me... and sadly, there's nothing for OS X that works as well as FF on Windows (though to be fair, I should try Camino before going on too much about this).
<SNIP>

I totally agree with you. I really would like to see better integration with iCal, Mail, address book etc... Now don't everyone jump on me for this but seriously I would like to see a consolidated interface a la Entourage or Outlook. In fact - all three apps could be kept as separate for people who like that and there could be an additional app that is basically just an interface that ties everything together. Apple definately could learn from Entourage in this regard in my opinion. I also agree with the other poster who said they would like to see better Exchange support in iCal - all of the aforementioned apps should support it I think.

Another note of agreement on Safari. While I for some unknown reason still tend to default to Safari out of habit - I am working hard to train myself to use Camino more regularly. I personally think it is far superior to FF which is in turn superior to Safari. With some of the new tools being developed for Camino (see pimpmycamino) it can be very nicely customised too. Apple needs to either overhaul Safari or simply adopt Camino (it is after all a Mac only browser) and build plug-ins to it. Microsoft got into trouble for forcing IE on everyone - Apple should learn from this and consider supporting one of the other superior browsers.
post #34 of 77
well if you think about it, what was new with tiger? dashboard, er, thats all i can think of atm, but it paved the way for a lot of other stuff, like, er, photobooth? oh i dont know, but other people will, they can carry on lol
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Oh, man, try '92-94. Himem.sys and SoundBlaster IRQs. Heh, I remember those. On topic, I have had generally good success with iChat video chats with linksys/ other routers.

I think for some people, iChat does work. In which case, good for you.

But for a lot of people, bad things happen when you start a video chat.
And instead of getting a cool, Apple-like informative fail mode. iChat offers you an uninformative, unhelpful and confusing set of messages...
* named user failed to respond... (frustrating when that user is you, and you did!)
* insufficient bandwidth (when you have plenty!)
and so on.

Not working in certain hardware configs is forgivable, but failing with all the grace and charm of an AOL customer service representative is not.

C.
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus1982

Full NTFS support almost for sure.

Isn't the current support based on the Linux driver? When I look at the Linux driver support, they all say that the write capability is experimental at best.
post #37 of 77
I'd read an article recently saying that the Linux driver had attained better compatibility with NTFS. I can't find the though. \
post #38 of 77
I agree with the consensus that the "rumors" released so far don't amount to much. IMHO, that means Apple's got something big under wraps. I think we're in for some real "" next week.
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

What's so bad about iCal? It's good enough to have inspired Microsoft to create Windows Calendar for Vista.

Ha! iCal, Mail, and Address Book are piles of junk compared to Microsoft Outlook! Apple seems to have a way of over-simplifying these apps to the point where they're not very usefull or totally lack the features, integration, and smootheness found in competing apps, such as Outlook.

When will Apple grow these apps up and give us reall, solid, enterprise features with a smooth UI????
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvault

Ha! iCal, Mail, and Address Book are piles of junk compared to Microsoft Outlook! Apple seems to have a way of over-simplifying these apps to the point where they're not very usefull or totally lack the features, integration, and smootheness found in competing apps, such as Outlook.

When will Apple grow these apps up and give us reall, solid, enterprise features with a smooth UI????

i concur

there useless, specially mail, cant do a bloody thing...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Leopard rumor roundup: unconfirmed rumblings