or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Apple Insider v Apple Nova?

Apple Insider v Apple Nova?

post #1 of 162
I have been wondering this since joing here a little while ago. What is the difference between Apple Insider and Apple Nova? They have very similar designs and setups, yet AI has plenty more members. Forgive me if this has been discussed before but my search came up empty.
post #2 of 162
Applenova originated as a kind of Appleinsider spinoff. The folks who started that used to be here, but then decided to start their own forum.
post #3 of 162
Frankly, I'd never heard of AppleNova, and I rather like the often incendiary discussions between really well-informed people here on AI.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 162
It was a fork over administrative disagreements, basically.
post #5 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

It was a fork over administrative disagreements, basically.

Sounds a bit Lord of the Rings, doesn't it?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 162
Here I'll help you with your search. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=45591 That is a link to a thread that, if you read the whole thing (it's long), you will understand a lot more. I had the same question for a while, and if you just want a basic answer it comes down to the .com on AI and the .org on AN. Some people didn't like the ads on AI and so they started AN. Like I said, that was just a very very basic summary. Go read the link if you want a more extensive answer. I started participating in this thread toward the end of it. Look at the dates as you read too.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #7 of 162
AppleNova is prettier. AppleInsider lets you talk politics. AppleInsider publishes rumors.
proud resident of a failed state
post #8 of 162
AppleNova has fewer assholes.
post #9 of 162
Since when has that been the marque of quality on a discussion board?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 162
I didn't say it was better that way.
post #11 of 162
Indeed, that was long Apple Insider's slogan: "Come for the Apple rumors, stay for the head butting assholes".

A lot of the folks who were instrumental in starting the new site were positively phobic about the, um, spirited talk in whatever was acting as a political forum at the time (topic allocation has gone through several incarnations), although that was by no means the primary reason for the split.

The feeling was that ill-will and contentiousness seeped out of the political discussions and into the rest of the fora like some kind of toxic pollutant.

That has never been my experience here but try telling them that. Personally, I think the lack of at least a little bit of rancor makes Apple Nova a bit blander, although the bonding experience of getting it off the ground with a shared sense of ennobling outrage makes it clubbier, which has its plusses and minuses.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #12 of 162
Thanks for clearing that up. I figured they had to be somehow connected. Kind of silly it was over administrative differences -- sounds like big business.
post #13 of 162
theres some history over at AN also, in a locked forum ("Viva la Revolucion").
post #14 of 162
Yeah, that's what it was. It was those mean political thinkers' fault!
post #15 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Indeed, that was long Apple Insider's slogan: "Come for the Apple rumors, stay for the head butting assholes".

A lot of the folks who were instrumental in starting the new site were positively phobic about the, um, spirited talk in whatever was acting as a political forum at the time (topic allocation has gone through several incarnations), although that was by no means the primary reason for the split.

The feeling was that ill-will and contentiousness seeped out of the political discussions and into the rest of the fora like some kind of toxic pollutant.

That has never been my experience here but try telling them that. Personally, I think the lack of at least a little bit of rancor makes Apple Nova a bit blander, although the bonding experience of getting it off the ground with a shared sense of ennobling outrage makes it clubbier, which has its plusses and minuses.

I admit that I've probably spent a total of 3 minutes at Applenova, but I remember when the split happened, and I don't recall anything at all about the political forums. You're right that they didn't like the political forum anyway, but that was incidental, from what I recall.

As I recall, the administrator here and the higher-ups got into a hissy fight over what the board should look like. It was extremely lame, as I remember it, with all kinds of ridiculous drama. But it seems like they've got a nice group over there now, and I'm sorry they took some good folks with them that I miss reading.
post #16 of 162
Somewhere I have a .pdf of a key thread that led to the big split. I'll have to see if I can find it and come up with a better answer for you all.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #17 of 162
Blame Tina.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #18 of 162
Haha.

AN has some passionate members, but I never liked the clubby feel you got when some of those members posted at AI. There was definitely a hierarchy and those members constantly made you know it. I think the forums are also less contentious now that they're gone. But hey they were classy enough to still let me have an account over there, despite my role in getting the ball rolling on the split, so I do give them credit for that.
post #19 of 162
While the fundamentals of the split were over ads and Kasper's then absent dictatorial bent, it was more over the creation of a hidden forum where a clickish but and certainly not general group of users participated in school boy discussions and fomented a new forum sans ads etc... This group included at least one of the admins and several moderators, needless to say but I think Kasper saw this forum and some of its topics as a coup against him and went on a ban/lock account spree, including killing my primary identity.

The two forums have a large number of shared members -- I post here for the vitrol, and there for the general humor value in it all...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #20 of 162
I should clarify: I know that political forums had nothing to do with the split, I was just noting that that had long been a source of contention with a lot of the folks who created Nova and they took the opportunity of a new site to put their feelings about that into practice. You can still find the occasional reference to "those assholes who argue all day over at AI".
post #21 of 162
AppleNova started because Brad is a twat.

. . .

Brad is still a twat.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #22 of 162
'ol StarfleetX... now that's history!
post #23 of 162
Sounds like the whole skisim was pretty petty.
post #24 of 162
Petty indeed. I have nothing but self disdain for the part I played in it.
post #25 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

I admit that I've probably spent a total of 3 minutes at Applenova, but I remember when the split happened, and I don't recall anything at all about the political forums. You're right that they didn't like the political forum anyway, but that was incidental, from what I recall.

As I recall, the administrator here and the higher-ups got into a hissy fight over what the board should look like. It was extremely lame, as I remember it, with all kinds of ridiculous drama. But it seems like they've got a nice group over there now, and I'm sorry they took some good folks with them that I miss reading.

Well, I've spent a bit more than 3 mintues at AN, so I can at least give another perspective on it.

Some of us wanted to run the forums ad free. It wasn't going to happen. Some also felt that the forums were being neglected in the face of the front page (which is fine since the forums generate little to no revenue) and weren't happy about that either.

Of course everything happened about as piss poorly as possible, and there was high drama but it seems that's internet life for you.

In the end everyone got their own sandbox.

The politics bit wasn't a reason for a split, but it was a policy change from AI.

An no avatars.
post #26 of 162
People retelling the history always leave out Brad hacking the AI forums and posting as Kasper.

Both sites are pretty boring.
post #27 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat

People retelling the history always leave out Brad hacking the AI forums and posting as Kasper.

Both sites are pretty boring.

Interesting, in everything that I read, I never heard that Brad did that. This piece of information really puts a twist on things. So was it Brad that went on that banning spree?
post #28 of 162
IIRC, Brad got banned without any notice or explanation, so he signed in as Kaspar simply to let people know what was going on. I don't believe that he was ever attempting to "impersonate" Kaspar.

And, the "banning spree" was all Kaspar. People were getting banned just for relaying what happened, as I am doing here.

So if I get banned anytime soon, you'll know why.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #29 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker

IIRC, Brad got banned without any notice or explanation, so he signed in as Kaspar simply to let people know what was going on. I don't believe that he was ever attempting to "impersonate" Kaspar.

And, the "banning spree" was all Kaspar. People were getting banned just for relaying what happened, as I am doing here.

So if I get banned anytime soon, you'll know why.

Ok I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you, or the lack of you. Thanks for the answer. I find this whole thing extremely interesting. It's really what got me started posting on here. I want to know the WHOLE story. Not just individuals biased opinions, but I'll just have to take what I can get and piece everything together. So far it's been fun.
post #30 of 162
It was, and still is, totally pathetic.
post #31 of 162
Being Canadian, I value dual citizenship.
(It may come in handy if I ever get trapped in a war zone like PO...I mean...Lebanon.)

I joined AI formally after the Great Blackout, but was lurking when it was still Reality.

I go to both AI and Nova for Mac-related discussions. I think at Nova there's a bit more playfulness, where people don't take their posts (or themselves) so seriously as at AI.

Whenever I feel like rumbling a bit, I put on a flakjacket and head over to Political Outsider.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #32 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

Whenever I feel like rumbling a bit, I put on a flakjacket and head over to Political Outsider.

Only a flack jacket? I don't think I would post in there with anything less than a bomb technician's suit.
post #33 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous

Only a flack jacket? I don't think I would post in there with anything less than a bomb technician's suit.

Oh my no, we of the PO are affable and accommodating to a fault! Everybody's having so much fun! It's a big party right next door!

Come on in! (eyes dart around as hand slips behind back)

That's right...... just one......more......step.....
post #34 of 162
Well what does Junkyard Dawg wear then?
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #35 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous

Sounds like something those AN thirtysomething perpetual frat boys would say.
post #36 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Well what does Junkyard Dawg wear then?

One of those fine leather jackets you are selling.
post #37 of 162
I doubt Junkyard bothers with clothes anymore. Not much point really when you're pretty much permanently engaged in trying to self-fellate.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #38 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester

I doubt Junkyard bothers with clothes anymore. Not much point really when you're pretty much permanently engaged in trying to self-fellate.

You have a good memory CC
post #39 of 162
Yay, crazy! How goes taking down the Australian government?
post #40 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Sounds like something those AN thirtysomething perpetual frat boys would say.

That's the best characterization I've heard. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you, it's just that a little goes a long way.

Also, I am still completely baffled by Chester's posting pattern. I think she's getting access to a computer for 15 seconds every 23 days.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Apple Insider v Apple Nova?