or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Briefly: Apple on Vista, Leopard, retail windows

Briefly: Apple on Vista, Leopard, retail windows

post #1 of 136
Apple's Leopard operating system is taking aim at rival offerings from Microsoft. Meanwhile, Mac OS X developers get their hands on Leopard beginning Monday. And the announcements coming out of WWDC will reportedly spur display changes inside Apple retail store windows.

Apple rips Vista

We've been telling readers that Apple has had its sights on Redmond and Vista, and judging by the latest banner photos (below) coming out of San Francisco, the company isn't keeping it a secret.

A banner on the second floor of the Moscone West -- the host venue for this week's World Wide Developers Conference -- reads, "Mac OS X Leopard -- Introducing Vista 2.0." Similarly, one on the opposite end of the floor says, "Mac OS X Leopard -- Hasta la Vista, Vista."

Each banner features a partial shot of a black and grey Mac OS X optical disc, presumably Apple's Leopard retail CD design. The same disc was featured in photos of an earlier WWDC banner.

Developers to receive Leopard

On a similar subject, Mac OS X developers on Monday will begin to receive the first pre-release builds of Leopard, AppleInsider been able to verify.

WWDC attendees will be the first to receive their copy of Leopard. It will come in the form of a "Leopard Preview" disc. Soon thereafter, Apple will begin seeding the same build of the operating system to other developers through its online distribution system.

Apple partners and major software companies will be first in line for online distribution of Leopard. Apple Developer Connection availability is expected to follow, likely with first priority going to higher-tier members.

New retail window displays

Within the two weeks following WWDC and its associated product announcements, Apple will be updating its retail store windows with new promotional items, tipsters have also told AppleInsider.

Photo Credit: www.poetsch.org

Photo Credit: www.poetsch.org
post #2 of 136
"Welcome to the right platform"

"Introducing Vista 2.0"

Nice.

Edit: Actually it might say "You've come to the right platform" or something similar. I see "We" and "come" but no "L".
post #3 of 136
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #4 of 136
I can understand they're targeting Vista, but I don't like it the way they seem to do it. Apple and Mac OS X should be in focus, and that by showing off how good it is until you just forget about Vista. A direct comparison will always be under tremendous pressure and feed the sceptics. It'll surely get a lot of coverage though, which I guess is good.

Fingers crossed! (Or I'm holding my thumbs as we say it here in Scandinavia )
post #5 of 136
I can see clearly how to make out the vista 2.0 thing...

but the hasta la vista thing......

all I can make out is a line starting w/ an M and ending with a D.....
am I mussing something here or am I looking in the wrong place....
either way for now I call BS on the hasta la vista thing...
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
post #6 of 136
I agree with Palegolas. I think it's rather petty to poke at Microsoft. Can't they see that they are hurting?! It's mean to kick someone when they are down.
post #7 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriok

I agree with Palegolas. I think it's rather petty to poke at Microsoft. Can't they see that they are hurting?! It's mean to kick someone when they are down.

Poor, poor Microsoft. Did mean Mr. Jobs make that nice Gates boy cry??

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #8 of 136
A poster not yet seen...

"While your photocopiers were running..." (Fill in the blanks)
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #9 of 136
I agree with Palegolas; I'm not a big fan of "lashing" advertisement. Findof like the SanDisk :iPod sheep" campaign. Apple doesn't win any goodwill this way, they just renew the impression of Apple as the zealot option.
post #10 of 136
I think Apple's done this kind of red meat sloganing before at WWDC. It doesn't necessarily mean these phrases will get into any general advertising...
post #11 of 136
Good form aside, I'n not sure associating Leopard with the Vista trainwreck is a good idea.

Calling your product, essentially, 'Trainwreck 2.0' isn't a good idea.
post #12 of 136
Actually, I kind of like it. Far too many years of "Apple copied Windows!" from ignorant folks... this is a nice refreshing breeze of change, with them trumpeting every chance they get that no, really, they're the ones coming up with it first in most cases. (And when they copy from Windows, they say so... and then improve on it.) People are starting to realize this, and with Vista dropping features like flies, and *still* slipping into the future even further... yeah, a little bitchslapping is in order, IMO.

This is, really, the advertising they should have been doing all along. "Tantalized by future feature X in Vista? Come have it for real, now."

Also, what lepton said, this is the rallying of the troops, not a general ad campaign. They'll get some press from it sure, but it'll stay as an insiders thing.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #13 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet

I agree with Palegolas; I'm not a big fan of "lashing" advertisement. Findof like the SanDisk :iPod sheep" campaign. Apple doesn't win any goodwill this way, they just renew the impression of Apple as the zealot option.

<nod> Its the tiny third grade kid on the playground threatening to beat up the 11th graders. (you laugh at first, but then you get kinda nervous... what's that kid packin?)

But yeah, it would not increase Apple's credibility that much with Windows users. UNLESS.... Leopard really does kick so much butt that it leaves windows users with weak knees and skid marks in their trowsers.

So, will it be the smack talking weenie, or the kid with a secret?

Find out on monday.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #14 of 136
There is ZERO downside to associating Leopard with Vista and/or attacking Microsoft.

MS is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising Vista and the average consumer will just assume that it's "good". By directly comparing Leopard to Vista as much as possible, Apple rides that publicity wave for free. Every newspaper review and news story on Vista's launch and features will mention the Mac alternative and the general message to the public will be "Vista is good, but Leopard is better". All without Apple spending a dime.

Oh, and "Hasta la vista, Vista " is sheer brilliance.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #15 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver

There is ZERO downside to associating Leopard with Vista and/or attacking Microsoft.

MS is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising Vista and the average consumer will just assume that it's "good". By directly comparing Leopard to Vista as much as possible, Apple rides that publicity wave for free. Every newspaper review and news story on Vista's launch and features will mention the Mac alternative and the general message to the public will be "Vista is good, but Leopard is better". All without Apple spending a dime.

i totally agree.
post #16 of 136
Quote:

I think it's all in good fun. Remember, this is a conference for developers of OS X. By Apple, for Apple folk. It would be another thing is this was say, a trade show where OS X was by far the minority and trying to show off Xserve or something competitive. Can't we have a chuckle behind closed doors? I love it!
post #17 of 136
I wonder what the official Leopard X will end up looking like?

Hmm...
post #18 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyers2

I think it's all in good fun. Remember, this is a conference for developers of OS X. By Apple, for Apple folk. It would be another thing is this was say, a trade show where OS X was by far the minority and trying to show off Xserve or something competitive. Can't we have a chuckle behind closed doors? I love it!

ahh, good observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparatus

I wonder what the official Leopard X will end up looking like?

Hmm...

<sigh> too much X. I'm up for MASSIVE OS revisions and moving on up to XI. My ADD can't take the same OS number for more than two years in a row!
post #19 of 136
I'm waiting for OS XI.

If Apple don't use the Spinal Tap 'Our amps go up to 11' skit, they'll have missed out on a major bit of humour. Perhaps they'll replace brushed metal with black and black controls.
post #20 of 136
At the WWDC 2004, when Apple introduced Tiger there were banners saying something like this ...
post #21 of 136
I Love It! Yay Apple!! Yay WWDC!!!

it's perfect... people don't care much about comparisons, it's all about BRAVADO
post #22 of 136
Not that it matters, and I totally can't prove it... but when the "Vista" name first appeared... I sent apple a webform email submission asking them to please use "Hasta la vista" in their next ads for Leopard.

I'm glad someone else at least thought of this and printed it on a big banner.
post #23 of 136
Quote:

Ohhhh, I don't know. I once had the opportunity to kick someone while he was down. I didn't. And next thing you know, as I was walking away, he gets up...takes a bat to my shins and then proceeded to kick *ME* while I was down.
post #24 of 136
It's not kicking someone while they're down. It's winning...thoroughly.
post #25 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver

I can see the potential upsides, but the fact that you can't see any potential downsides hurts your argument.
post #26 of 136
As a lifelong wiseacre I have always admired humor such as "Hasta la vista, Vista!" However, I also remember when as a teenager I first heard in a movie the saying "Nobody likes a smartass." I was crushed and took it personally. Many Americans don't like smartasses.

So it might seem that these banners are a bad idea. Fortunately, as someone mentioned above, this is the developers conference not a national campaign. Apple are preaching to the choir and the choir loves it.

Ready for your next sermon Brother Jobs! Bring it!
post #27 of 136
What Does Splunge mean?

Well, a freeloader can be often referred to as a sponge. (I had a roommate like that once) That is someone who follows you around stealing all of your ideas like a "Sponge". And when you do something in excess and with total disregard for anything else, you could say "He Plunged into it".
So I guess SPLUNGED would be the freeloading, idea stealing, people from Redmond that certainly have no regard for others.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #28 of 136
Ahh... these new photos are a refreshing treat for those who are unable to attend WWDC. The Leopard developers must be pretty confident to use "Hasta la vista, Vista" on one of their banners. That's a great indiction on how awesome Leopard might be. We'll find out MONDAY! Can't wait.
post #29 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog

So it might seem that these banners are a bad idea. Fortunately, as someone mentioned above, this is the developers conference not a national campaign. Apple are preaching to the choir and the choir loves it.

Ready for your next sermon Brother Jobs! Bring it!

Exactly.

The banners are in place to greet the _core_ members of the "cult" of Apple.

To quote Douglas Atkin from "The Culting of Brands":

"Cults need to cultivate separateness and home in on those who also feel separate. To create a mutal sense of separation your organization will need to:

1. Determine you potential franchise's sense of difference
2. Declare your own difference with doctrine and language
3. Demarcate yourself from the outside world and,
4. Demonize "the other." "

Since Jobs and company can't really pull a 1984 on MS as the did to IBM, they have to stick to 1-3 for the time being..

If you keep these points in mind, you will see that almost all of Apple's communication fits into one of these catagories.. As well, these posters are perfect examples of hitting 3 of the 4 points at once..
post #30 of 136
i do want to point out there is STILL one UNveiled banner on the first floor.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #31 of 136
How can apple say they are better that vista runs on a lot more hardware, you can build the systems you self, and you can get systems that will run vista for less then a mac with more power.
post #32 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

i do want to point out there is STILL one UNveiled banner on the first floor.

UN-veiled banners = sexy hidden goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

How can apple say they are better that vista runs on a lot more hardware, you can build the systems you self, and you can get systems that will run vista for less then a mac with more power.

Exactly, WE DON'T KNOW YET. But I believe Monday will speak for itself.
post #33 of 136
Quote:

Because those points fail to address Vista's worth as an operating system?
post #34 of 136
Quote:

You are SO right and I'm sure after being informed of your post here on AI that Steve will wake up first thing tomorrow morning and pull that banner down himself.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #35 of 136
Guys, come on. It's not like Apple hasn't been so blatant before. Last year they had similar banners saying "Redmond, Start Your Photocopiers" and others taunting Longhorn.
post #36 of 136
I love the lines...the only word of caution is that when you do this, you better be able to back it up.
Leopard better blow the socks off of Vista, not merely be just better. Otherwise the herd will continue to follow what they perceive as the "safer" operating system (Vista). Ironic, but sadly true.
post #37 of 136
OK guys - let's play a game:

Honest guess as to Vista consumer release date:

A) Never (world ends, or MS goes bankrupt first)
B) Jan-Mar 2007
C) Mar-May 2007
D) June-Aug 2007
post #38 of 136
I'm going to go C, but closer to May then March.
post #39 of 136
Quote:

Microsoft is by far the largest software company on earth, has a market cap of $300 billion (6x that of Apple) and despite the "accepted wisdom" in certain elite circles that they are losing the plot, they still show double digit revenue growth year over year.

Delays to Vista only affect the company in the very short term. Windows owns 95% of the desktop market. Most software is written for Windows.

If any company has the ability to poke at this 800lb gorilla, they damn well should!

After all, the most it will achieve is Apple scoring an extra port or two of a Windows app and the hearts & minds of a few impressionable young student developers. This is a developer conference. It has little influence on what people buy, which will continue to be vast numbers of PCs running whatever flavor of Windows is currently shipping. There's no changing that.
post #40 of 136
I think Apple should be very, very careful here.

Hubris is one of the spikes that fatally impale great companies.

Vista is already delayed, and everyone knows it is going to be delayed again. There is nothing stopping Microsoft from delaying it by another 6 months and adding in whatever is missing from Visa that Apple announces for Leopard.

Microsoft can easily take the hit--which they need to do anyway from everything I have read--and close the gap with Leopard.

The only other option here is Leopard is such an enormous leap in features and functionality that Apple simply isn't worried about this scenario at all. Perhaps the innovation Apple has in store for us would take longer than 6 months to code and test.

I would love for that scenario to be true, for Apple to have an epic upgrade in Leopard. The type of jump that was 10.2 over OS 9. But given the anemic Tiger upgrade, I am not optimistic.

I guess I am looking at Leopard pessimistically because of Tiger. I think there will be 10 true new features, some cool, some useless. But things like iCal will continue to suck. Yes, I know I am being negative here, but I have been disappointed by Apple of late. (Yet I still love them.)

But boy do I hope I am wrong. Nothing would make me happier than for Apple to preview an enormous, innovative update tomorrow.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Briefly: Apple on Vista, Leopard, retail windows