or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple previews Mac OS X Leopard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple previews Mac OS X Leopard

post #1 of 177
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday previewed Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard, the sixth major version of Mac OS X, to its third party developers.

Scheduled to ship in spring 2007, Leopard extends Apple's leadership in software innovation with new features, such as Time Machine, a new way to automatically back up and restore everything on your Mac, and Spaces, an entirely new way to instantly switch between groups of applications required for various tasks.

Leopard also includes advancements in Mail and iChat, including Stationery, Notes and To Dos in Mail; and Photo Booth-style effects, the ability to 'place' yourself in any photo or video as the backdrop for your chat, and live presentations of iPhoto slideshows, Keynote presentations and videos in iChat.

"Breakthrough features like Time Machine and Spaces are good examples of how Mac OS X leads the industry in operating system innovation," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "While Microsoft tries to copy the version of OS X we shipped a few years ago, we're leaping ahead again with Leopard."

With its unique ability to let users travel back in time to find deleted files, applications, photos or other digital media, Time Machine represents a way to protect a consumer's digital life. The software automatically backs up everything on the Mac to an external hard drive or Mac OS X Server. In the event a file is lost, users can search back through time using a time-based visual display to find and then instantly restore the file. With one click, Time Machine can restore anything from a single file or photo to everything on a Mac.



Spaces (or virtual desktops) is a new way to group applications required for a given task into a 'space,' then instantly switch between different spaces to bring up the specific applications required for that given task. Users can get a bird's eye view of all their Spaces and choose where they want to go next with just one keystroke or click of a mouse.

With Leopard's iChat, Apple is taking communicating with friends, family and colleagues to an entirely new level. iChat now makes video chats more fun with the ability to use Photo Booth effects and put images and videos in the background. iChat Screen Sharing enables users to share their desktops with others to work together in real time on an activity, such as editing an iPhoto book, or helping a buddy get the most out of their Mac. With iChat Theater, users can share an iPhoto slide show, a QuickTime movie or a Keynote presentation within an iChat window.



Meanwhile, Leopard's Mail includes new features that have never been seen before in a Mail application. Mail Stationery includes more than 30 customizable stationery designs to create emails enriched with photos and graphics. Templates include photo collections, invitations, birthday cards and other greetings that look great when received on either a Mac or a PC. With Mail Notes, users can quickly jot down thoughts and ideas, add graphics and attachments and use the familiar Mail application to manage them like an email message. In addition, To Dos can be created from any email message or note and viewed in iCal or sent to friends and colleagues. RSS news feeds now appear in Mail, allowing users to receive news in their inboxes, receive notifications when new stories appear and use Smart Mailboxes to organize news about the same topic in one place.

Additional features in Leopard include:

full native 64-bit support that allows applications to take complete advantage of 64-bit processing while maintaining full performance and compatibility for existing 32-bit Mac OS X applications and drivers;
enhancements to Boot Camp, Apple's innovative technology that was previewed as a public beta in April 2006, making it possible to run Windows natively on Intel-based Macs;
Front Row, now available with all new Macs to play back digital content, including video Podcasts using the simple Apple remote;
Photo Booth, Apple's fun-to-use application that lets users take quick snapshots with an iSight video camera, add entertaining visual effects with the touch of a button, and share them via email;
iCal 3 with group calendaring capabilities, event drop box, and standards-based CalDAV support;
improved Spotlight searching that's even faster, provides richer previews, and lets users search across network mounted folders on other machines;
a new Movies Dashboard widget for movie times and Web Clip for clipping any part of a web page as a live widget;
new parental controls including curfews, time limits and remote administration;
Core Animation, a new graphics technology that makes it easy to create stunning visual effects and animations;
major enhancements in Universal Access, including improvements in VoiceOver, Apple's built-in screen reader;
security enhancements including anti-phishing protection in Mail and Safari, and an automatic firewall that limits network resources available to an application; and
new development tools, including Xcode 3 with full 64-bit support, DashCode, an easy way to create new Dashboard widgets without writing a line of code, and Xray, for optimizing application performance.
post #2 of 177
All I needed was a new Finder. Probably under the wraps.
What I loved was Time Machine.
post #3 of 177
YIKES

• Brushed Metal still alive in Leopard

• Finder relatively unchanged
post #4 of 177
I'm sure the new finder is still top secret.

Brushed metal is outta' here.

Leopard won't be launched until Spring 07
post #5 of 177
I would have loved to see more.... I guess all the good stuff is "Too Hot" for Microsoft to see right now. I have to say, I need more than just a movie widget and some back up software to warrant a $129 upgrade. The backup utility is cool though. I wanted to hear that you can run any Windows App without Windows! Once they do that... I am all over it. If they can pull that one off, we will see a renaissance of Computing Magic that will put the industry on it proverbial ear. One machine... Every Software App created... Any Network..... NO SPYWARE, MALWARE, VIRUSES. PC weenies would be idiots not to buy in at that point.
post #6 of 177
Well, everything sounds great to me. Could use the new iChat this week. Time Machine sounds great, though I wonder if you'll have to have a .mac subscription to use it. Front Row built in (even though the Mac Pro doesn't seem to have it today), hopefully that mean's they're adding developer's support to it. I suspect I'll use the notes and to dos in Mail.

Only exception would be Mail Stationery. Apple could stick that one where the sun don't shine. The fonts/styles people stick in HTML are annoying enough without Apple's "help". Just send plain text with standard attachments please, and let me choose what I want your mail to look like..
post #7 of 177
Since Mac was using the slogan "Vista 2" for Leopard I think they should have shown us more. I feel like a am looking at XP with add ons.
post #8 of 177
Oh, and I hope the rumors about GIS/map features still turn out to be true.
post #9 of 177
Yeah, it was obvious some of what was being displayed was Tiger bits and Leopard bits mixed together.
post #10 of 177
XCode 3.0 supposedly ships today. It's not turned up on adc yet but I imagine it will soon enough. It includes Objective-C 2.0 as well with garbage collection. This is very important to developers as it's up there against Microsoft's .net managed code.

Lots of debugging tools too.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/xcode.html

The iCal page has some freaky links. I think they meant to link to http://www.calconnect.org/ not http://www.calconnect.com/ :-)
post #11 of 177
Leopard looks to be another solid upgrade to Mac OS X although most of that in my opinion is the fleshing out of apps and technologies found in earlier versions such as Tiger. Mail seems to be a more serious app and iChat will conferencing for the masses to a great new level. Make sure to check out the Quicktime movies on the Apple site "Sneak Peek". This of course leaves us with the "secret features" that were not shown today. Either Apples is really concerned about M$ stealing these features or these features are just not ready to air, as in still in alpha. I guess we will have to wait till MacWorld 07 or M$' commitment to a ship date for Vista to see what Apple has kept hidden in the coming Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple on Monday previewed Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard, the sixth major version of Mac OS X, to its third party developers.

Scheduled to ship in spring 2007, Leopard extends Apple's leadership in software innovation with new features, such as Time Machine, a new way to automatically back up and restore everything on your Mac, and Spaces, an entirely new way to instantly switch between groups of applications required for various tasks.

Leopard also includes advancements in Mail and iChat, including Stationery, Notes and To Dos in Mail; and Photo Booth-style effects, the ability to 'place' yourself in any photo or video as the backdrop for your chat, and live presentations of iPhoto slideshows, Keynote presentations and videos in iChat.

"Breakthrough features like Time Machine and Spaces are good examples of how Mac OS X leads the industry in operating system innovation," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "While Microsoft tries to copy the version of OS X we shipped a few years ago, we're leaping ahead again with Leopard."

With its unique ability to let users travel back in time to find deleted files, applications, photos or other digital media, Time Machine represents a way to protect a consumer's digital life. The software automatically backs up everything on the Mac to an external hard drive or Mac OS X Server. In the event a file is lost, users can search back through time using a time-based visual display to find and then instantly restore the file. With one click, Time Machine can restore anything from a single file or photo to everything on a Mac.

Spaces (or virtual desktops) is a new way to group applications required for a given task into a 'space,' then instantly switch between different spaces to bring up the specific applications required for that given task. Users can get a bird's eye view of all their Spaces and choose where they want to go next with just one keystroke or click of a mouse.

With Leopard's iChat, Apple is taking communicating with friends, family and colleagues to an entirely new level. iChat now makes video chats more fun with the ability to use Photo Booth effects and put images and videos in the background. iChat Screen Sharing enables users to share their desktops with others to work together in real time on an activity, such as editing an iPhoto book, or helping a buddy get the most out of their Mac. With iChat Theater, users can share an iPhoto slide show, a QuickTime movie or a Keynote presentation within an iChat window.

Meanwhile, Leopard's Mail includes new features that have never been seen before in a Mail application. Mail Stationery includes more than 30 customizable stationery designs to create emails enriched with photos and graphics. Templates include photo collections, invitations, birthday cards and other greetings that look great when received on either a Mac or a PC. With Mail Notes, users can quickly jot down thoughts and ideas, add graphics and attachments and use the familiar Mail application to manage them like an email message. In addition, To Dos can be created from any email message or note and viewed in iCal or sent to friends and colleagues. RSS news feeds now appear in Mail, allowing users to receive news in their inboxes, receive notifications when new stories appear and use Smart Mailboxes to organize news about the same topic in one place.

Additional features in Leopard include:

full native 64-bit support that allows applications to take complete advantage of 64-bit processing while maintaining full performance and compatibility for existing 32-bit Mac OS X applications and drivers;
enhancements to Boot Camp, Apple's innovative technology that was previewed as a public beta in April 2006, making it possible to run Windows natively on Intel-based Macs;
Front Row, now available with all new Macs to play back digital content, including video Podcasts using the simple Apple remote;
Photo Booth, Apple's fun-to-use application that lets users take quick snapshots with an iSight video camera, add entertaining visual effects with the touch of a button, and share them via email;
iCal 3 with group calendaring capabilities, event drop box, and standards-based CalDAV support;
improved Spotlight searching that's even faster, provides richer previews, and lets users search across network mounted folders on other machines;
a new Movies Dashboard widget for movie times and Web Clip for clipping any part of a web page as a live widget;
new parental controls including curfews, time limits and remote administration;
Core Animation, a new graphics technology that makes it easy to create stunning visual effects and animations;
major enhancements in Universal Access, including improvements in VoiceOver, Apple's built-in screen reader;
security enhancements including anti-phishing protection in Mail and Safari, and an automatic firewall that limits network resources available to an application; and
new development tools, including Xcode 3 with full 64-bit support, DashCode, an easy way to create new Dashboard widgets without writing a line of code, and Xray, for optimizing application performance.
post #12 of 177
I was really impressed with the ichat, time machine, spaces (looking forward to this one) and mail was pretty cool.
post #13 of 177
I'm disappointed it won't be released into the wild until Spring '07. I was hoping for a Christmas release. I guess they need time to swallow up what few advantages Vista will have.

I wanted a baby Leopard for Christmas.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
post #14 of 177
I think iChat looks really fun. The Backdrop program will be a blast, and I think the screen sharing will be useful too.
post #15 of 177
Is Mail, iChat and iCal parts of OS X Leopard or stand alone programs???

I would have loved to see more of 10.5!
post #16 of 177
I know (from a friend at Apple) that Leopard has many under the hood changes. Some really major ones. Even things like native 64-bit support and Time Machine require major under the hood changes. I too am quite disappointed by Spring release, but I guess its best for them to work on making these features bug free as possible.
post #17 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac

I know (from a friend at Apple) that Leopard has many under the hood changes. Some really major ones. Even things like native 64-bit support and Time Machine require major under the hood changes. I too am quite disappointed by Spring release, but I guess its best for them to work on making these features bug free as possible.

I'm sure the only reason for the delay was so MS wouldn't steal features at the last minute. MS has no problem delaying their OS, and they know it takes them half a decade to release a new one. Therefore, if leopard came out at xmas, MS would rush to copy anything it could during spring.
post #18 of 177
Hehe...Proteus-style tabs...I fuckin' knew this would happen if iChat ever got tabs.

I love Apple. I wonder if Justin is responsible for that one.
post #19 of 177
I think that SJ Apple's doing a superb job with the sneek peak of Leopard.. not too much but neither too little just what it needs to remember us that there will be an upgrade to an already superb Tiger.

Everybody is forgetting the fact that the Intel transtition is over, paving the way for upgrades and even improved Macs. More focus on getting all apps "universal" is what i would be worried about now, i.e. Adobe.. will it wait 6 more months.. 1 year?

Meanwhile all PowerPC & Intel based Macs are just doing fine running Tiger.

And we're still in early august...
There's still plenty of time for Leopard...

While a PC user is yet to see an OS like Tiger in Vista for @least 6 more months, if M$ makes Vista work in time, Mac users are enjoying a great OS that will very soon get even better...

It's all good !



P.S. Where is that 23" iMac?
zenga
Reply
zenga
Reply
post #20 of 177
Looks to me like Apple has put enough extra work onto MS - I would be surprised if some of the ideas, like with Mail, don't show up in Vista. Maybe they delayed the release of Vista until after they could respond to the WWDC announcements! Then there the parts that are Top Secret - that has to drive MS nuts guessing what they could be.

Overall, I think that the Keynote went well. It got the developers pumped up and presented sufficient consumer level innovations to get that group excited as well.

We might have to wait until next spring for Leopard, but Apple has shown that they will release a product when it's ready - might come soon after Vista . . .
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #21 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac

Yeah, it was obvious some of what was being displayed was Tiger bits and Leopard bits mixed together.

Very true.

The actual look will be something pretty special I imagine. As in do not underestimate the influence of the cosmetic. I have the public beta of Vista and have spent some time using it, and although it is indeed still a true son of a bitch when it comes to using it, I still find the first thing people say when they see it for the first time is that it's prettier than ever before. That Aero Glass makeover was a sly trick. Making things look shiny is the essential first step to selling them. MS did this very literally with Vista, and although I prefer my Mac any day, I think Apple may have something up their sleeves for a visual make over so that our Leopard comes out with all the visual goodness it needs to keep the eyes of the average buyer that 5 seconds long enough to bother trying out any of its apps.

Also, I expect Leopard can beat its Spring deadline in just the same way as we saw the offical DEATH OF POWERPC today a full year ahead of schedule. Could just be wishful thinking on my part though.

Bring on Snow Leopard
post #22 of 177
I've got to say, on the whole, I am not very impressed with leopard -- although there are some specific things that I am impressed with: Time Machine, and Screen Sharing in iChat. Spaces could be very useful if done right, or it could be unessesary, cluttering, and confusing.

I still have hope that there will at least be a new finder VISUALLY (brushed metal killed). Although, as long as brushed metal is only applied in finder windows, that might not be too bad. I don't think we will have a under-the-hood new finder. But visually, a lot still can happen.
post #23 of 177
I don't buy this secret-feature-keep-away-from-MS thing. Paired with all the anti-MS banners and jokes pervading the conference, the "sneak peak" smacks of gimmickiness. Apple has always chugged merrily on their way with innovations, regardless of what MS is up to...I really doubt they're suddenly paranoid about "Redmond." Apple is really coming into its own now, and is in the position to take some more aggressive shots at windows.

Which is all just to say that these "secret features" are hopefully pretty cool, cuz I wasn't too impressed with Leopard thusfar. The backup app was alright, different app tweaks may be handy, but there really was't a whole lot there. As for "spaces"...how many more features can they possibly add to shuffle windows around? Command-H and command-tab are pretty much all you need anyway....

But no to be too hard on ol' Steve. The only reason Leopard might look lackluster is that 10.4 is such an effortless, refined OS at this point...anything new is just icing on the cake. I feel as though the last big step is getting windows apps to run "natively" within OS X...if apple makes that happen, they really will have created "the only computer you'll ever need."
post #24 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius

I'm disappointed it won't be released into the wild until Spring '07. I was hoping for a Christmas release. I guess they need time to swallow up what few advantages Vista will have.

I wanted a baby Leopard for Christmas.

Don't worry, Leopard Preview will be leaked in a week.
post #25 of 177
Loved the preview. Leopard is ready to pounce and will usher in a new wave of switchers. Can't wait until we get to see more of the features.

8)
post #26 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggshmoogly

I feel as though the last big step is getting windows apps to run "natively" within OS X...if apple makes that happen, they really will have created "the only computer you'll ever need."

Luckily apple knows better than that...

The horror of all those apps with
- a layout designed to work with windows...
- windows keyboard shortcuts
- No integration whatsover with osX technologies (address book, core-image, etc, etc)

because that is what will happen once developers lose their main incentive to dedicate precious development costs to make osX-specific apps.
post #27 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

I've got to say, on the whole, I am not very impressed with leopard -- although there are some specific things that I am impressed with: Time Machine, and Screen Sharing in iChat. Spaces could be very useful if done right, or it could be unessesary, cluttering, and confusing.

I still have hope that there will at least be a new finder VISUALLY (brushed metal killed). Although, as long as brushed metal is only applied in finder windows, that might not be too bad. I don't think we will have a under-the-hood new finder. But visually, a lot still can happen.

What's with all the people "disappointed" with Leopard, who then go on to say that they are impressed by all the parts of Leopard that were shown?? Hell000ooo, it was a "sneak" preview. Not the final thing! The parts of it that were shown are the only things we know about Leopard. You can't be disappointed in something that you don't even know anything about! So if you're impressed by some of the things you saw today, chances are you'll love Leopard in it's completed form...
post #28 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius

I'm disappointed it won't be released into the wild until Spring '07. I was hoping for a Christmas release. I guess they need time to swallow up what few advantages Vista will have.

I wanted a baby Leopard for Christmas.

I just don't know how some guys kept thinking that this would be out by Christmas. There was no way that would have happened. There were hints that it would be later for a while now. The moving back of the dev conf shopuld have been enough warning.

Only non-developers would think that from August to Christmas would be enough time.
post #29 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHuman

I'm sure the only reason for the delay was so MS wouldn't steal features at the last minute. MS has no problem delaying their OS, and they know it takes them half a decade to release a new one. Therefore, if leopard came out at xmas, MS would rush to copy anything it could during spring.

I'm sure that wasn't the reason. This is all theater. That's the major reason why some features are "top secret".

I just wonder exactly what it is that the developers are getting. If Apple is real about keeping some features secret, then how can they give the preview away? If they lock out certain, major features, any attempted development will be almost impossible.
post #30 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash

What's with all the people "disappointed" with Leopard, who then go on to say that they are impressed by all the parts of Leopard that were shown?? Hell000ooo, it was a "sneak" preview. Not the final thing! The parts of it that were shown are the only things we know about Leopard. You can't be disappointed in something that you don't even know anything about! So if you're impressed by some of the things you saw today, chances are you'll love Leopard in it's completed form...

I was disappointed with the keynote!
post #31 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash

What's with all the people "disappointed" with Leopard, who then go on to say that they are impressed by all the parts of Leopard that were shown?? Hell000ooo, it was a "sneak" preview. Not the final thing! The parts of it that were shown are the only things we know about Leopard. You can't be disappointed in something that you don't even know anything about! So if you're impressed by some of the things you saw today, chances are you'll love Leopard in it's completed form...

Because, while the new major features were impressive, there were many more that we have waited for. For years!

And what about technology that was expected for Tiger that didn't make it, such as Quartz Extreme? No mention at all! And that's by no means a secret.
post #32 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

I'm sure that wasn't the reason. This is all theater. That's the major reason why some features are "top secret".

I just wonder exactly what it is that the developers are getting. If Apple is real about keeping some features secret, then how can they give the preview away? If they lock out certain, major features, any attempted development will be almost impossible.

Information handed out at WWDC is under NDA. Simple as that. Leak it, and get targeted. What, you think those copies aren't keyed in some way?

I wasn't overwhelmed, but I wasn't *underwhelmed* either.

That's from a user POV.

From a dev POV? Xcode 3/Xray?? OMFG *DROOL*. *Non-linear* debugging?!? Never would have thought of it. Yet they make it seem so *obvious*.

Love it, love it, love it.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #33 of 177
Doesn't it seem rather conspicuous that Apple (I know we haven't seen much of Leopard yet, but still) didn't mention .Mac? Now with Time Machine, the need for Backup is mitigated. Flickr plug-ins allow you to put your iphoto pictures onto flickr. Gmail can be "integrated" into your work environment. What other compelling reason does Apple have to push people toward .mac?

I guess I was expecting that Apple would announce some really cool collaborative, integrated widget that required .mac and I would have to sigh, take a deep breath, sigh again and pony up for it.

Maybe .mac is going the way of eworld?
post #34 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

I'm sure that wasn't the reason. This is all theater. That's the major reason why some features are "top secret".

I just wonder exactly what it is that the developers are getting. If Apple is real about keeping some features secret, then how can they give the preview away? If they lock out certain, major features, any attempted development will be almost impossible.

I think the only major thing that Apple didn't show was the Finder level changes. Apple will have another Leopard preview at MacWorld SF at which time they can do so. This is possible since Finder UI-level changes don't have a significant impact on other applications. If demoed in Jan, other developers can still make mods following. Other than that, I think Apple showed the major items that use under-the-hood changes that other apps will be expected to use or link into.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #35 of 177
Quote:
such as Quartz Extreme?

The concept of Quartz Extreme may not be secret, perhaps how it specifically works is a secret.
post #36 of 177
I don't know I think some of you guys are taking a prematurely negative view.

Timemachine is snapshots and that's pretty damn cool to have this in your OS. It doesn't require .mac and allows for versioning and user restore. Not bad

Spaces- I personally love the idea of work spaces and Apple has added it to the OS and that can't be bad. Once you've used this before you can't imagine life without it. Plus with virtualization taking off you may want to utilize a full screen VMware/Paralles environment and dedicate a space to it. Bam ...one button and you're in your windows/linux environs.

Core Animation- The demo doesn't show enough but any ability to animate that is core to the system is bound to be used and I think there will be some creative uses in the future.

Spotlight- now has the searching abilities we've wanted.


I'm willing to bet that the hidden stuff will center around a new UI for the Finder which will likely include Rez Independence. I'm enouraged by what we see so far in Leopard. It's really the little things that define an OS and I'm sure there are plenty of little nuggets.

Don't rush Apple...ship it when it's ready.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #37 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

Information handed out at WWDC is under NDA. Simple as that. Leak it, and get targeted. What, you think those copies aren't keyed in some way?

I wasn't overwhelmed, but I wasn't *underwhelmed* either.

That's from a user POV.

From a dev POV? Xcode 3/Xray?? OMFG *DROOL*. *Non-linear* debugging?!? Never would have thought of it. Yet they make it seem so *obvious*.

Love it, love it, love it.

Sure it's under NDA. And because of that, no copies of the preview Intel Tiger version EVER got out to those trying to install it into a PC, right?

Well, I hate to tell you this, but computers, OS's, and other software aren't built, or written, for developers, but for end users.

Developers might be happy, but if we don't buy the machines or software, no matter how much you may like it, you're still out of a job.

so, what matters is that we end users like it. Developers will develop if they can make money from it.

That doesn't mean that I'm not happy about X Code 3, etc, I am.

But, you know we've been waiting, and hoping, for more. And why an important feature from Tigerthat wasn't functional, wasn't even mentioned, well, that's just worrisome.
post #38 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005

I think the only major thing that Apple didn't show was the Finder level changes. Apple will have another Leopard preview at MacWorld SF at which time they can do so. This is possible since Finder UI-level changes don't have a significant impact on other applications. If demoed in Jan, other developers can still make mods following. Other than that, I think Apple showed the major items that use under-the-hood changes that other apps will be expected to use or link into.

That's true. I thought of that. But, I have to say, if that's it...
post #39 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash

What's with all the people "disappointed" with Leopard, who then go on to say that they are impressed by all the parts of Leopard that were shown?? Hell000ooo, it was a "sneak" preview. Not the final thing! The parts of it that were shown are the only things we know about Leopard. You can't be disappointed in something that you don't even know anything about! So if you're impressed by some of the things you saw today, chances are you'll love Leopard in it's completed form...

In almost all software roadmaps features get cut down on, not added on to.

Yes we do *not* know Apple's roadmap for leopard, however, I wouldn't expect any secret suprises. Mac OS X (and all OS systems, Vista includded) is the one peice of hardware and software more than anything else that is least secret. Generally there are not many features that are not released in a preview and/or beta that will not be in the final version. That wouldn't be very good if Apple dropped in a suprise feature (like Windows virtualization), because this feature will most likely have a large amount of bugs both technical and logical. There is the hope, that Boot Camp is being developed outside of Mac OS X however -- such as, iTunes compared with iLife for example.

I think Apple really should drop the brushed metal, and could do so easily, but at this point in the game, why wouldn't they have done so already if they were going to do it for the final version? Espessially since betas/previews are heavily based on looks rather than actually usability.

If anything was not demoed, lets hope that at least one thing that was not demoed is major, and just not demoed because it was not ready.

Generally though, what you see in the beta/preview is what you get in the final version -- that is -- idea wise.
post #40 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

The concept of Quartz Extreme may not be secret, perhaps how it specifically works is a secret.

No, it's not. It's well documented. AR's had a very good, detailed article about it when it was announced, along with the Core technologies. Sigh, but finding it\
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple previews Mac OS X Leopard