or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › I wanted ZFS ...

I wanted ZFS ... - Page 2

post #41 of 60
[QUOTE=Chucker]Yes. There is no file system bundle for it, nor is there a mount utility or any other one (no fsck, now newfs, etc.). There is, however, a changed vnode.h:
/QUOTE]

There is no "newfs" or "fsck", because there is no such thing for ZFS.

Everything related to ZFS is handled with only two commands: "zpool" (the top level
command, used for "pool" management) and "zfs" (used for non default filesystems and
options in a ZFS pool).

So, if you want to look for ZFS tools in Leopard search for programs named "zpool"
and "zfs".

If you want more details about ZFS, just look at the documentation: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461.

Qwlm.
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwlm

So, if you want to look for ZFS tools in Leopard search for programs named "zpool"
and "zfs".

Which aren't there.
post #43 of 60
Someone in the know - any ZFS news in latest Leopard build?
post #44 of 60
Aren't you asking someone to violate the NDA by answering that question?
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk

Aren't you asking someone to violate the NDA by answering that question?

Since when do we care about the NDA?

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #46 of 60
Yeah, because that approach has worked so well so far in keeping the lines of communication open with Apple...
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

Yeah, because that approach has worked so well so far in keeping the lines of communication open with Apple...

Yes well if we don't have open lines of communication between Apple then that leaves us free to come up with every wacky and insane idea in the world for them to stick in some new Mac/iPod/Phone/Airport/Display/*new thing* line. 8)

Obviously I'm not serious about infringing on the NDA though because if I were, I could just download a Leopard Preview release off of Bittorrent and look at it for myself.

Sebastian
post #48 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow

Someone in the know - any ZFS news in latest Leopard build?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=260256&page=5
post #49 of 60
From the thread link above:
apparently the new build has support for ZFS
ZFS is confirmed.
Great News!
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow

From the thread link above:
apparently the new build has support for ZFS
ZFS is confirmed.
Great News!

What I'd love is if we got a new format that all systems supported, not just OS X. This might end the headache involved in cross-platform file sharing.
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

What I'd love is if we got a new format that all systems supported, not just OS X. This might end the headache involved in cross-platform file sharing.

Looks like you just pulled the words right out of my head! YES! This would be great, as long as we can all settle on the BEST file system, and ZFS sounds pretty darn awesome! Cross-platform file sharing is a real pain. If I want to save my OS X files over the network to my Windows machine I get errors due to special characters in file names, filenames that are too long, or I lose metadata, or the PC now has stupid hidden .DStore file, etc.

Unfortunately Microsoft will probably insist on their own proprietary file system.
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvault

Looks like you just pulled the words right out of my head! YES! This would be great, as long as we can all settle on the BEST file system, and ZFS sounds pretty darn awesome! Cross-platform file sharing is a real pain. If I want to save my OS X files over the network to my Windows machine I get errors due to special characters in file names, filenames that are too long, or I lose metadata, or the PC now has stupid hidden .DStore file, etc.

Unfortunately Microsoft will probably insist on their own proprietary file system.

As long as MS is in the picture, true interoperability will never happen. It's sad but MS has been a plague to everything that is computer-related.
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

As long as MS is in the picture, true interoperability will never happen. It's sad but MS has been a plague to everything that is computer-related.

post #54 of 60
Time for someone to write a ZFS plugin (IFS) for Windows. There are already plugins for ext2/3, reiserfs, etc.
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo View Post

What does ZFS do so awesomely again?

For starters in my G4 Mac I have 4 drives of different sizes. The largest drive is 300G. My iTunes library is 170G. This has caused me to be slow down on my iTunes purchases of TV shows and movies. The largest I can get a single iTunes library (as far as I know) is 300G. Now if I had a zfs I could make a pool out of all of my drives and have a much larger itunes library. I could also just go down and buy a new drive and add it to the pool.

If I am wrong here please be patient since I am speculating from what I have read.
post #56 of 60
ZFS is sexy :P
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

ZFS is sexy :P

lol

Well Apple has more time now, so possibly a fully integrated bootable ZFS OS X in October?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

lol

Well Apple has more time now, so possibly a fully integrated bootable ZFS OS X in October?

I'm not rushing Apple either way. If they can get ZFS bootable in Leopard cool. But if they can't that's cool as well. ZFS has a nice piplined architecture that really lends itself to large block data. Audio and Video files are a definite plus. So even if I must boot my OS on HFS+ I'm going to be happy if I have options available such as Mirrored Pools, RAIDZ and RAIDZ2(double parity ..you could lose two drives and data remains intact)

Apple should hop on some of the efforts to make ZFS enabled iSCSI targets. That way if Fibre Channel Xserve RAIDS are too spendy they can attack lower market segments with iSCSI based storage running ZFS.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #59 of 60
Basically, ZFS is implemented completely in the latest Leopard seeds. There are still bugs of course, and exposing the various ZFS functions to things like Disk Utility, but you could mostly use a ZFS disk right now.

http://themachackers.com/2006/12/19/...a-closer-look/
post #60 of 60
ZFS performance numbers

http://digitalbadger.net/archives/35...rformance.html

Interesting piece on the "aggressive caching" of ZFS

Update: April 24th

http://milek.blogspot.com/2007/04/hw...-part-iii.html

ZFS does damn good as a SW only RAID setup.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › I wanted ZFS ...