or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

post #1 of 404
I got it with the X1900 XT, which probably has to do with my ship date of September 16th.

Eh well, it'll be great when I get it:

\t Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
\t 1GB (2 x 512MB) \t065-6357
\t ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
\t 250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
\t 1 x SuperDrive
\t Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme

Share your ship date.
post #2 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

I got it with the X1900 XT, which probably has to do with my ship date of September 16th.

Eh well, it'll be great when I get it.

Share your ship date.

Will be ordering my 'soon', so I don't have a ship date yet. Hope to get the greenlight from the wife tonight or tomorrow.

It looks like it's the X1900 and the Airport options that are pushing it from 1-3 days to 3-5 weeks. Also, changing the default 2.6 config to 3.0 changes it from 1-3 days to 3-5 days.
post #3 of 404
I think the X1900 XT pushes it back more than any other option. I hope we don't end up with the Geforce 6800 debacle of yesteryear where people got their Power Macs in the middle of October because of it.
post #4 of 404
Quote:

I think the X1900 XT pushes it back more than any other option. I hope we don't end up with the Geforce 6800 debacle of yesteryear where people got their Power Macs in the middle of October because of it.

Dumb question -- does Apple charge your card when the order is placed, or do they authorize the card when the order is placed and charge it once it ships?

I'm guessing they charge as soon as we click 'submit'...
post #5 of 404
MAC PRO,CTO

Z0D8

$3,538.00

$3,538.00

With the following configuration:
Processor 0656352 2.66 GHz Quad Xeon
Memory 0656358 2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC4x512
Graphics Card 0656410 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB
Hard Drive Bay1 0656367 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
Hard Drive Bay2 0656745 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
Hard Drive Bay3 0656743 None
Hard Drive Bay4 0656744 None
Optical Drive 0656251 16x SuperDrive DL
Wireless Option 0656725 Airprt Extrm and BT 2.0EDR
Modem 0656455 None
Fibre Chl Card 0656285 None
Keyboard Language 0656280 Apple Kybd and Wrls Mgty Ms
Mac SVR OS Language 0655988 None
Apple Software Applications 0656419 None
Mac OS Language 0656245 Mac OS X
Country Kit 0656244 Country Kit
Estimated Shipped By:

SEP 05, 2006

Estimated Delivered By:

SEP 06, 2006
post #6 of 404
Nope, the don't charge your card until it ships, just like everyone else. I think it may be the law. I'm not sure on that though.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #7 of 404
If it's not the law it's good business practice, especially with such long ship dates.
post #8 of 404
Quote:

If it's not the law it's good business practice, especially with such long ship dates.

I have had Amazon charge my card 4 days before shipping, but it was under $50, so it wouldnt have a risk of maxing out the card if it hit the wrong day of the month...unlike a $2500+ computer.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #9 of 404
Mac Pro, 3GHz CPUs, Bluetooth+EDR, all other options standard.

Estimated ship: August 15th. Estimated delivery: August 22nd.

I skipped the Radeon and the Airport because they ridiculously delayed the shipping. (I suppose I can order those later, in particular the Radeon, hopefully after a price drop.) I took a look at NewEgg's memory prices on FB-DIMMs and decided that it wouldn't be long before someone came out with Mac Pro style memory (with the heatsinks) for a good deal less than Apple.

Has anyone else looked at the pricing for the PC version of that Radeon? I know it won't work in the Mac Pro due to EFI issues, but--is Apple making theirs out of gold?
post #10 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder

Nope, the don't charge your card until it ships, just like everyone else. I think it may be the law. I'm not sure on that though.

Varies from state to state. In Florida, you cannot charge someone before you ship. However, in Georgia (I think it was), you can. I found this out once during a bout of "online ordering hell". However, I think most "big" companies do not charge until they ship.
"Gawd, even white trash feel sorry for me."
"That's true, that's very very true."
"Gawd, even white trash feel sorry for me."
"That's true, that's very very true."
post #11 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphic

Has anyone else looked at the pricing for the PC version of that Radeon? I know it won't work in the Mac Pro due to EFI issues, but--is Apple making theirs out of gold?

Compared to their previous racketeering, it is a FAIR PRICE.

The 7300GT is worth about $75, and Apple charges $350, so it's $425 for Apple's X1900 XT.

Depending on the OEM, the X1900 XT for the PC costs from $375 to $450, so I'd say that we aren't getting royally screwed up the ass this time around, compared to their $550-odd 7800GT they had for the Powermac G5.
post #12 of 404
Quote:

\t 1 x SuperDrive

Share your ship date.

I've got the same config, so mine has an estimated arrival by Sept 21st. Hopefully these things come early.

Although, my 23" HD Cinema just shipped today. Wahoo!
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_

post #13 of 404
Yeah, I'm hoping they will, I hope Apple overestimates.
post #14 of 404
Quote:

Well I'm still trying to figure out what the delay is, if the ATIs just arent ready yet or what. I mean, I think the ATI x1900 XTs have been out for some time now so I don't know what the old up is.

post #15 of 404
Quote:

\t 1 x SuperDrive

Share your ship date.

I ordered on 8/8 only upgrade was 3.0Ghz, 2 super drives, and bluetooth 2.0+EDR and airport which pushed my shipping date to 9/7 - i didnt change the video card cause i have a quad with the Quadro FX4500 and gonna swap it out - then put quad up for sale with the 7300GT and 6.5 g ram
post #16 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw911

i didnt change the video card cause i have a quad with the Quadro FX4500 and gonna swap it out - then put quad up for sale with the 7300GT and 6.5 g ram

Sorry to rain on your parade, but most seem to think that any card from a G5, even the PCI-e ones are not EFI compliant, and so won't work in a Mac Pro.

David
_ ________________________ _

I have no signature - Doh!
_ ________________________ _

I have no signature - Doh!
post #17 of 404
our IT department ordered my 2.66/2 GB/bluetooth, they said the ship date is Monday
post #18 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordak

Well I'm still trying to figure out what the delay is, if the ATIs just arent ready yet or what. I mean, I think the ATI x1900 XTs have been out for some time now so I don't know what the old up is.

I think they just have to go through and flash bunches of them to work with EFI.
post #19 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacfan

Sorry to rain on your parade, but most seem to think that any card from a G5, even the PCI-e ones are not EFI compliant, and so won't work in a Mac Pro.

David

Man, I have to feel for him... buying a $1600 card twice because of a certain arrangement of magnetized parts, OUCH.
post #20 of 404
estimated ship 8/15
estimated delivery date: 8/16
post #21 of 404
Waiting is horrible when you buy a new computer, but let's not forget that people actually have some of these Mac Pros in hand and it looks like Apple will deliver by the quoted times. It's good to finally see a new line of Mac Towers out that can actually be delivered in some configurations on day one.

Flash back to 7 years ago. Remember the launch of the G4 back in August of 1999? People went crazy waiting for those Macs. These boards had threads over 100 pages long about shipping delays and lots of people that ordered on the day of the annoucement didn't get their machines until November.

Apple also had to speed dump the G4s from 400 MHz, 450 MHz, and 500 MHz down to 350 MHz, 400 MHz, and 450 MHz with no change in price. Also thrown in there was the whole "Yikes!" vs. "Sawtooth" issue. Some people who ordered were getting G3 style motherboards with no AGP while others were getting newer motherboards with 2x AGP. It didn't help that weeks after people first started to get their new G4s that Apple phased out the "Yikes!" style motherboards. The early adopters who had waited 3+ months for their Macs saw their value plummet just weeks after finally getting it.
post #22 of 404
i agree Fran441, i told my friend who introduced me to macs that this waiting is like holding a moist chocolate cake infront of a fat kid, its pure torture
post #23 of 404
Quote:

They did with my MacBook. It arrived a week before I was expecting it. Needless to say, that made me very happy.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #24 of 404
I think I'm lucky that I ordered a cinema display too because that will be here in a few days and it will tone down a pinch of my excitement because technically its half the order. Oh who am I kidding i want that big beautiful tower!!!

post #25 of 404
Quote:

Well if the issue is getting a shipment of EFI-based x1900 XTs, they'll ship a few days after the shipment, so that wait time means we'll probably all get our Mac Pros w/ x1900 XTs between the 16th and the 23rd whether we order now or next week. (Or so I hope, because I can't order til next week)
post #26 of 404
Hello all. New to the boards here. I placed my order August 8th with an estimated ship by August 11th with estimated delivery by August 15th. Sheesh, so much for overestimating but I guess while on time isn't as good as early, it's still better than late or never. FYI, I got the standard config of dual 2.66/7300GT/250GB HD/and 1 superdrive.
post #27 of 404
I put my order in about two hours after the apple store went back online, after the keynote ended... took me that long to come up to a final decision on how to customize.

In any case, the est. ship date is Sept. 12th. I called Apple yesterday just to verify if that is the case and the rep that I spoke with said that they are pushing these systems out and he expects that mine will ship by next week. Wishful thinking. Below is my config:

Processor\t0656352\t2.66 GHz Quad Xeon
Memory\t0656357\t1GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC2x512
Graphics Card\t0656363\tATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
Hard Drive Bay1\t0656409\t250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
Hard Drive Bay2\t0656742\tNone
Hard Drive Bay3\t0656743\tNone
Hard Drive Bay4\t0656744\tNone
Optical Drive\t0656251\t16x SuperDrive DL
Wireless Option\t0656725\tAirprt Extrm and BT 2.0EDR
Modem\t0656455\tNone
Fibre Chl Card\t0656285\tNone
Keyboard Language\t0656287\tApple Keyboard and Mighty Mse
post #28 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet928

In any case, the est. ship date is Sept. 12th. I called Apple yesterday just to verify if that is the case and the rep that I spoke with said that they are pushing these systems out and he expects that mine will ship by next week. Wishful thinking.

That'd be great. A lot of us are glad to see that the 3-5 weeks might not actually mean 3-5 weeks. My mom is OK with the idea, and wants to talk about it when she gets home Sunday, and my dad thinks it's too much (whole computing package at $3600). Gonna work on him this weekend. :-)

Welcome aboard you two.

EDIT: Out of school for too long. Used the wrong "two" there.
post #29 of 404
Wow that's great news. If I get mine within 2 weeks I will be overjoyed. My ship date was sept. 13, then I upgraded to the 2.66 so they changed it to the 14th. Hurry! If it actually ships on sept 14, well.. I think it's safe to say I'll be dead by then.

post #30 of 404
I ordered my MacPro Monday and should receive it tomorrow. I ordered BT and the 7300GT video card. No point in ordering a top of the line video card now when the next gen cards from Nvidia and AMD(ATI) will be out in the fall. Also, the W-Fi card is a PCIE add on card that can be purchased separately. I am not sure if it can be installed by the user without voiding the warranty.

2.66 GHz Quad Xeon
2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC-4x512
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
16x SuperDrive DL
Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mse
Mac OS X
Country Kit

Tracking # says it left FedEx location. Can't wait to go back to Apple. The last time I used a Mac was my dads PowerPC 6100 running OS 7.5.5 w/ DOS card running Win 3.1 and DOS 6.22. Hopefully the new Intel Macs will work better duel booting OS X and WinXP. That DOS card while fast compared to the alternative was a pain.
post #31 of 404
I am pretty sure you can add PCIe cards under warranty.

However - be warned that you may not see a R600 or G80 in a Mac Pro until January (although more likely November). Don't expect one on release day. Apple has a history of being slow to jump on graphics cards. Also, you probably need a custom card because of EFI issues. No one has tried it, but we suspect that you need custom drivers and a ROM reflash on the card because of Apple's use of advanced firmware (EFI) instead of BIOS.

Welcome to AI and welcome back to the Mac flock.
post #32 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

my dad thinks it's too much (whole computing package at $3600). Gonna work on him this weekend. :-)

But Dad, it's cheaper than a Dell!

Hope that helps
post #33 of 404
Woohoo today is the estimated ship by date for me. I must admit I'm a little apprehensive seeing how so many others had theirs shipped out before their ship by date.
post #34 of 404
To all ATI or 3-5 week orders:

Please please please post here when you find out your system is being shipped out earlier than expected!!!

post #35 of 404
It's here! I am using my MacPro to post this reply. It only took about 15 min. from plugging things in to surfing the web. That is incredible. The interface takes some getting use to and Safari is very different then Firefox. Does Safari support tabs? The only problem was FedEx shipped my MacPro to the Apple Austin campus. I had to go over there to pick it up. Looking inside it is very clean and well designed. Not a cable in sight and I can't even hear it over my ceiling fan.
post #36 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordak

To all ATI or 3-5 week orders:

Please please please post here when you find out your system is being shipped out earlier than expected!!!

Jesus christ, I know, I was gonna make a thread about that.
post #37 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel571

It's here! I am using my MacPro to post this reply. It only took about 15 min. from plugging things in to surfing the web. That is incredible. The interface takes some getting use to and Safari is very different then Firefox. Does Safari support tabs? The only problem was FedEx shipped my MacPro to the Apple Austin campus. I had to go over there to pick it up. Looking inside it is very clean and well designed. Not a cable in sight and I can't even hear it over my ceiling fan.

Safari has tabs, you have to enable them in preferences though.

You can also use Firefox instead, that's what I do.
post #38 of 404
my cinema display was shipped from sacramento, to north salt lake utah, and its been sitting there for 2 days... i am so pissed. i dont even know why it went to utah, its like right there next to cali and it has much further to go.. mid west region actually. damn you fedex.

post #39 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel571

yes Safari has Tabs.

you do know you are all a bunch of swines! :P of course thats only cos im waiting on some confirmation that i have some extra cash comming in... and so cant order last week etc.

lucky lucky people!
post #40 of 404
The mormons have to decide whether they want it to complete their multi-monitor setups, badum-ch.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Let's share Mac Pro ship dates