or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

Let's share Mac Pro ship dates - Page 7

post #241 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

This sucks, thought I could get it by Saturday but they failed to ship last night.

Ditto.

I'm kind of glad though - there's a football game and a party Saturday. Monday and Tuesday I have skippable classes.
post #242 of 404
Well, I'm not sure they'll even ship it out tonight, you know?
post #243 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordak

woohoo! i win!

er... lol sorry. im an asshole.

I ordered before you, so I should be winning. Too bad Apple is a shitty referee in this game.
post #244 of 404
Quote:

Well, I'm not sure they'll even ship it out tonight, you know?

Whatever, still way ahead of schedule. At worst I should have it by the 15th. And the 2-3 day shipping instead of 1 week shipping is nice.
post #245 of 404
I just called Apple, they said my order is being prepared for shipment and will ship tonight.

They had also offered to upgrade it to overnight but it was too late, shipping labels and everything are already on it so I can't complain.
post #246 of 404
My order is not cancellable, but when I called to inquire yesterday, the rep was a total C U Next Tuesday and would not give me one iota of information beyond the estimated ship date. So I still have slow shipping and no further information. Woe is me.

I ordered two hours after they went on sale.
post #247 of 404
I'm assuming you all will be sitting in your rocking chairs on your porch with a shotgun in hand, fending off any potential thieves that may know of a Mac Pro arrival.
post #248 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

I'm assuming you all will be sitting in your rocking chairs on your porch with a shotgun in hand, fending off any potential thieves that may know of a Mac Pro arrival.

Will be ??? I am on my porch right now, shotgun in hands. (shipped yesterday so I should get it next week.)
post #249 of 404
It's official - I will be the last to get my order. Maybe I should cancel it and order again - it'll probably get here faster...
post #250 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

I live on the fourth floor. No one could get it down the stairs. But yes, I'm taking the day off for that. I have to:

1) Install 2 HDDs and RAM, if it's here (haven't ordered yet)
2) Set up a 320 GB RAID 0
3) Install Windows
4) Slipstream that intel driver into an install CD
5) Re-install Windows
6) Migrate pr0n/muzik stash.
7) Install Pathfinder (running under emulation, )

That'll take a while.
post #251 of 404
I've been running it for 2 days now... here are pics if anyone is interested.

http://web.mac.com/sjsamaha/iWeb/Site/Library.html
Mac Pro 3.0, 5.0GB OWC RAM, WD 74GB Raptor System Disk, 2x500GB Deskstar RAID0, 500GB Deskstar, ATI 1900XT 512MB, 30" Display, iSight, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
Mac Pro 3.0, 5.0GB OWC RAM, WD 74GB Raptor System Disk, 2x500GB Deskstar RAID0, 500GB Deskstar, ATI 1900XT 512MB, 30" Display, iSight, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #252 of 404
Unix Mac - Swap your RAM around. You want it like this:

Riser 1: 2x1 GB, 2x512 MB
Riser 2: 2x1 GB

The way you have it, you lose quad-channel bandwidth to some of that memory. And you save some latency if you have it more balanced across both risers.

Memory Rules:
1) Keep the largest sticks in the front slots on each riser. (back slots have higher latency)
2) Balance the risers as much as possible GB-wise (to make best use of the 256-bit bus)
post #253 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Unix Mac - Swap your RAM around. You want it like this:

Riser 1: 2x1 GB, 2x512 MB
Riser 2: 2x1 GB

The way you have it, you lose quad-channel bandwidth to some of that memory. And you save some latency if you have it more balanced across both risers.

Memory Rules:
1) Keep the largest sticks in the front slots on each riser. (back slots have higher latency)
2) Balance the risers as much as possible (to make best use of the 256-bit bus)

No kidding? I figured keep the 1's on one riser, and the 512's on the other.. I'll do it now...

How do you know this? Seems like Apple Computer Engineer level knowledge.. Thanks.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #254 of 404
Pretty cool... using Xbench, I got a 144 score on memory before, and now a 157.. Good work!

I have a the top riser with the 2x512 facing outside, and 2x1GB inboard... and the bottom riser bottom riser with the 2x1GB inboard (closest to the Mobo).

I'm going to try to buy another set of 2x512 to even it all out.
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #255 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMac

No kidding? I figured keep the 1's on one riser, and the 512's on the other.. I'll do it now...

How do you know this? Seems like Apple Computer Engineer level knowledge.. Thanks.

Read the Apple discussion forums. there's a 50 page thread where one or two people explain this over and over.
post #256 of 404
Ok.. will do!
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
iMac 1.83 Core Duo
PowerBook G4 1.5
post #257 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xool

I just ordered my Mac Pro today (September 5th) and it has a ship time of 3-4 weeks. I'll report in on updates as they come out.

I just got a shipment notification for my order!

Maybe its the type of machine I ordered or maybe its ADC, but damn, I expected this thing in over a month!!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #258 of 404
Quote:

Maybe its the type of machine I ordered or maybe its ADC, but damn, I expected this thing in over a month!!

As far as we can tell, it's totally random. Apple seems to be shipping the x1900 Mac Pros with no rhyme or reason. If you call them about it, they upgrade your shipping. I wasn't even mad when I called, and they upgraded it for me.
post #259 of 404
Quote:

I wasn't even mad when I called, and they upgraded it for me.

That's probably exactly why you go it upgraded
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #260 of 404
I've enjoyed reading all your situations, anticipating joining you all soon in having one around/on order. Nice setup UnixMac!

I trust some of you others have noticed the stated shipping time for any Mac Pro with a ATI 1900XT card is now listed as 3-4 days on Apples site. I was thinking of ordering now, but will have to wait, I am out of town for another two weeks.
post #261 of 404
My G5 Dual 2.5 has been officially declared dead and I'm off at 11AM this morning to the Apple Store in Alderwood Manor to pick up my plain vanilla MacPro 2.66 replacement. I was offered a refurbished G5 Quad 2.5 but choose to go with the MacPro as, based on all the problems I've had with the G5, I have concerns about the long-term reliability of the liquid cooled G5s. Gotta love that AppleCare.
post #262 of 404
I can't win for losing. I called to upgrade my shipping, at my cost, and it's already "prepared for shipping" (ie. too late to upgrade to air) and will move via FedEx ground on Monday.

I've got to credit them on their shipping estimate, though -- accurate to the day. I suppose the positive out of this is that hopefully there is a BootCamp 1.2 out by time it arrives. \
post #263 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait

I can't win for losing. I called to upgrade my shipping, at my cost, and it's already "prepared for shipping" (ie. too late to upgrade to air) and will move via FedEx ground on Monday.

I've got to credit them on their shipping estimate, though -- accurate to the day. I suppose the positive out of this is that hopefully there is a BootCamp 1.2 out by time it arrives. \

What is the configuration of your MacPro?
post #264 of 404
2.66, 1900 XT, 1 GB, 250 GB, BT and AE. Ordered August 8 from Calgary, Alberta, with a rock-solid shipping date of Sept 13.

I bought a GB of RAM from Crucial before they jacked up the price, so the news isn't all bad. 8)
post #265 of 404
Quote:

I ordered the same day you did and my order went "uncancellable" the next day. I think Apple has gotten a huge shipment of 1900XTs and is pumping out orders as fast as possible. I'll be looking for my shipping notification on Monday. I opted for the $61 next day shipping. I'm an impatient old fart!

Edit: Maybe it is an ADC thing. Mine is an ADC order also.
post #266 of 404
If you were given upgraded shipping on your MacPro and are still waiting, better call Apple and confirm. I was told last Wed that I had free overnight shipping, and today they said their system only showed standard (despite an e-mail confirmation they sent me). They said a step in the process of upgrading the shipping was overlooked, and promised to fix the problem immediately. Better check if you're in a hurry!

3.00 GHz Quad Xeon
1GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC-2x512
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive
16x SuperDrive DL
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mse
iWorks '06
Mac OS X
Country Kit

Ordered 8/7!
post #267 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout7id

I ordered the same day you did and my order went "uncancellable" the next day. I think Apple has gotten a huge shipment of 1900XTs and is pumping out orders as fast as possible. I'll be looking for my shipping notification on Monday. I opted for the $61 next day shipping. I'm an impatient old fart!

Edit: Maybe it is an ADC thing. Mine is an ADC order also.

When I first placed my order I expected it to take a month or more, so slower ground shipping wasn't a big deal. But now that its shipping right away I wish I opted for faster delivery! That said, I'm in CA so FedEx ground won't take too long either.

For reference, my specs are:
2x3GHz, ATI X1900, 2 GB RAM (4x512), 500 GB HD, Dual SuperDrive, AirPort+BlueTooth Wireless, Wireless KB + Mouse.

I was debating buying the RAM elsewhere, but jumping from 2x512 to 4x512 was comparable to Crucial and other vendors so I thought it was worth getting Apple's official heatsinks while we wait for the cards to fall. The next upgrade is probably adding another 4x512 for 4 GB total and full quad-channel goodness, but we'll see how long I can hold out. My G5 has 2.5 GB and it saddens me that my new Mac Pro will have less. *sniff*

As soon as the Merom MacBook Pros are out I'll probably pick one up too, ideally alongside updated cinema displays so I can have 23/24" goodness with built-in iSight and remote.

The big question is, what do I do with my G5 tower?! I can keep my extra SATA drives and pop them in my Mac Pro, but some upgrades like my x800 AGP card are pretty much useless. Anyhow, off to check craigslist and ebay I suppose...
post #268 of 404
Right now, mine is a few dozen thousand feet above sea level moving at 500MPH from West Coast to East Coast.
post #269 of 404
Damn you FedEx, get my tracking number in your system already!!
post #270 of 404
Quote:

The big question is, what do I do with my G5 tower?! I can keep my extra SATA drives and pop them in my Mac Pro, but some upgrades like my x800 AGP card are pretty much useless. Anyhow, off to check craigslist and ebay I suppose...

Yeah, I have the same dilemma. I have a Dual 2.7GHz, 6GB RAM, 150GB Raptor, 300GB 2nd HD, X800XT with 2+ years of Applecare left and the most I've been offered is $1400. I'll use it for a doorstop before I let it go that cheap!
post #271 of 404
Quote:

Right now, mine is a few dozen thousand feet above sea level moving at 500MPH from West Coast to East Coast.

Mine just got picked up from Fullerton, CA. Someone's skipping a few classes on Wednesday (and working late Tuesday night)
post #272 of 404
Mine's in Newark.
post #273 of 404
I just got my ship notification! Delivery on Monday. SWEET!
post #274 of 404
Quote:

As far as we can tell, it's totally random. Apple seems to be shipping the x1900 Mac Pros with no rhyme or reason. If you call them about it, they upgrade your shipping. I wasn't even mad when I called, and they upgraded it for me.

I just got my shipping notice too. went out friday and should be here next week! It was worth the wait for a kick-ass video card. I will need it to drive my Samsun 242MP! I am so pumped!
post #275 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapFrag

I just got my shipping notice too. went out friday and should be here next week! It was worth the wait for a kick-ass video card. I will need it to drive my Samsun 242MP! I am so pumped!

Got my shipping notice today... I guess I can put my favorite Apple shipping tracking widget away... for now...
post #276 of 404
If they had gotten it out on Thursday I'd probably have it by now, but whatever, I'm happy, and I have a literature test on Tuesday so probably better for my grade.
post #277 of 404
yeah mine is already here in minneapolis. got here friday, itll be delivered monday around 1 or 2pm im assuming. ill be waiting...
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_

post #278 of 404
What's the estimated delivery on your FedEx/UPS status page?
post #279 of 404
well thats interesting. when apple shipped it, it had an estimated delivery of sept 8th, but when apparently since apple "shipped" it Sat night, fed ex didnt get it till later on monday so they changed the estimated delivery to sept 11th--a change they have no record of. so its arriving the day it was supposed to. which is a first--fedex usually arrives 1-2 days earlier for ground delivery

post #280 of 404
My Mac Pro is here. It's currently sucking down all my info from the G5 via Migration Assistant. I'm using the FW800 and it's going pretty quickly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Let's share Mac Pro ship dates