or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again? - Page 6

post #201 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

So? $2124 is still 266% of $799, which is the price of Apple's next cheapest headless desktop machine.

I see where you are going with this and I agree with you. There is room for a midrange consumer tower in the $1200-1800 price range. Do I think Apple will intro a model like this? No. They probably fear that it would eat into iMac sales as has been pointed out by others. My hope is the Apple will at least make the iMac a good midrange machine by putting in a Conroe chips and giving it a decent graphics card. What I fear is that iMac gets Merom and performance stagnates over the next year or so untiol the Merom replacement comes. Even still if Apple persists in using a laptop chip in iMac it will have relatively weak performace in comparisson to other midrange desktops and users will be faced with choosing between way more than what they need (Mac Pro) or perhaps slightly less in iMac.
post #202 of 1658
Hello from a long time reader (circa'97).

I'd prefer a small tower in the $1000-1500 range,but i'd settle for the IMAC if it had video in.I just want to hook up my xbox360 or ps3 to it. Is there a major tech reason there isn't a vga or dvi input?
post #203 of 1658
Jesus, remind me never to mention wanting a computer with some expandability near fanatical macboys.


Seriously, there's a market for people who want a computer that they can plug shit into. I'm sick of having external hard drive bays, I need an upgrade at the moment, and I'm not buying yet because I can't justify buying a computer that I can't put two or three hard drives into. The iMac just doesn't let me do what I need to do. The Mac Pro is just overkill - There's no way I'd ever need a xeon workstation.


There should be another tower, but because Job's believes I don't need it, I'll probably have to buy it from the windows world.
post #204 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmo

Jesus, remind me never to mention wanting a computer with some expandability near fanatical macboys.


Seriously, there's a market for people who want a computer that they can plug shit into. I'm sick of having external hard drive bays, I need an upgrade at the moment, and I'm not buying yet because I can't justify buying a computer that I can't put two or three hard drives into. The iMac just doesn't let me do what I need to do. The Mac Pro is just overkill - There's no way I'd ever need a xeon workstation.


There should be another tower, but because Job's believes I don't need it, I'll probably have to buy it from the windows world.

Welcome to the Apple of steve jobs. You can't always get the hardware you want and you can't go anywhere else unless you want that excuse for an OS out of Redmond.
post #205 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten ToesNoFeet

Hello from a long time reader (circa'97).

I'd prefer a small tower in the $1000-1500 range,but i'd settle for the IMAC if it had video in.I just want to hook up my xbox360 or ps3 to it. Is there a major tech reason there isn't a vga or dvi input?

iMac does have DVI. It uses the mini jack to save space.
post #206 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig

iMac does have DVI. It uses the mini jack to save space.

He said input not output.

And to answer his question, the reason there isn't one is because it would be expensive, and a feature that hardly anyone would use. You can get external Firewire solutions.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #207 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig

A couple things here
1. You may be rich, but $2100 is a lot of money to spend on a computer.
2. It's a PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATION, not a desktop.

To rebutt:
1. Toyota vs. Chevy
2. Computer is as Computer does

But I was just pointing it out in the first place. ;D I would like to see a midrange tower.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #208 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig

...Mac users do not have the majority opinion.

Majority? What's a maj...<SQUISH!> oh, shoot. I think I just stepped in it.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #209 of 1658
OS X is really great.
Apple computers are really great.

But if I must buy a new computer and if Apple don't make a computer wich allow me to do everything I want with my computer, the next question will be : will I switch to Windows ?
post #210 of 1658
I did'nt read all 5 pages, so I don't know if this has already been metioned, but...
If you follow the logic that was metioned on page 1,
If a "Mac" comes out, then a "Macbook Mini" is due, and and a "iPod Pro" is due
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
post #211 of 1658
But that would also mean a Macbook Shuffle, Macbook Nano, Mac Shuffle and Mac Nano....
post #212 of 1658
Why is everybody so afraid of stepping on the iMac's toes? If the iMac is a computer people truly want then they will buy it no matter what else is offered in it's price range. If not then it will die off. Survival of the fittest in the market place afterall.

Apple really shouldn't let the iMac stop them from building a computer people really want. It was said earlier in this thread that most people who want an AIO machine buy a laptop. I think that's true. The iMac may be a nice machine but Apple is forcing it on anyone who wants a midrange desktop that runs OSX. They aren't giving people a choice in that price range.

Personally I think that at least by January we will see a consumer tower. And hopefully it wil be priced anywhere from $800 to $1600, even if it cuts into mini and iMac sales. Better that it still be an Apple product then a Gateway or a Dell. Perhaps it will come in black and white plastic like the macbook and the imac.
post #213 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi

Why is everybody so afraid of stepping on the iMac's toes? If the iMac is a computer people truly want then they will buy it no matter what else is offered in it's price range. If not then it will die off. Survival of the fittest in the market place afterall.

Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
post #214 of 1658
With "Time Machine" Apple have start providing a way to equip consumer machines with more than one hard drive.. Unless, they are saying buy your iMac and buy a third party External Hard disk in order to use system software..
It's not pretty solution IMO.
post #215 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

Two more problems with the car analogy:

1.) High quality in a car is expensive to achieve. For Audi to offer cheaper alternatives, they'd have to sacrifice a lot of their quality, and then what's the point of buying the resulting car, rather than a competitor's?

Apple don't have to sacrifice their quality to offer a $999 tower.

2.) There is no equivalent in the car analogy for the OS. I would propose that the best way to represent this is to imagine that there were two different road networks. Both road networks can get you pretty much anywhere you want. Road Network A is smooth, fast, and easy to navigate, but there are few services such as garages along the way. Network B is full of holes, difficult to navigate, there are load of services, and it goes to slightly more places.

Now, most vehicle companies make vehicles that can only run on Network B, because Network A makes their own cars, and won't let anyone else make cars that run on their network.

Now, all these other vehicle companies together make up 97% of the vehicle market.

Given that Network B is a much worse road network, why aren't more people buying Network A's vehicles and using Network A? Because Network A stubbornly refuse to offer any more than 5 different models of vehicle, they are mostly slightly more expensive than their nearest equivalents for vehicles that run on Network B, and despite the fact that Network A exists and is so much better than Network B, there is a shockingly low awareness amongst the public of Network A and what it can do.

What can Network A do about this?

Offer more models of car and advertise its road network properly. The slightly higher prices for equivalent models should stay the same in order to maintain the higher quality of the network.

Sorry that that was so seriously laboured, but I hope it demonstrates how rubbish the car analogy is and why people should just steer (oops, sorry) clear of it. No more car analogies!

You obviously didn't read my analogy. I tackled those problems which is why i said:

"Now make Audi a plane manufacturer"

Here's both your points:

1) You don't think computer quality would be compromised. Maybe not internally but externally it would. No AL enclosures, the mini wouldn't look as nice, the imac wouldn't look as nice, etc, etc. Apple designs cost money.

2) Once again I mentioned this: Windows in my analogy = cars OSX = planes.
The difference in transportation speaks for itself, I didn't think I had to spell it out(which I essentally did anyways). Planes and cars both serve one task, human transportation, but both do it differently. Just like mac vs windows, same point different excution.

No one ever expects planes to replace cars.
No one expects mac os to replace windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #216 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

You obviously didn't read my analogy. I tackled those problems which is why i said:

"Now make Audi a plane manufacturer"

Here's both your points:

1) You don't think computer quality would be compromised. Maybe not internally but externally it would. No AL enclosures, the mini wouldn't look as nice, the imac wouldn't look as nice, etc, etc. Apple designs cost money.

2) Once again I mentioned this: Windows in my analogy = cars OSX = planes.
The difference in transportation speaks for itself, I didn't think I had to spell it out(which I essentally did anyways). Planes and cars both serve one task, human transportation, but both do it differently. Just like mac vs windows, same point different excution.

No one ever expects planes to replace cars.
No one expects mac os to replace windows.

I think that Apple could give MS a run for their money if they wanted to. They seem to be content on being a minor player and hoping everyone comes around to their way of thinking. 20 years later, it still isn't working.

As for Audi, nobody seems to mention that Audi is the luxury division of Volkswagen. Apple doesn't have a VW.
post #217 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

1) You don't think computer quality would be compromised. Maybe not internally but externally it would. No AL enclosures, the mini wouldn't look as nice, the imac wouldn't look as nice, etc, etc. Apple designs cost money

You're trying to tell me that whilst the Mini (starts at $599) looks nice, Apple couldn't make a tower for $999 with the specs I outlined and make its appearance just as attractive as the Mini? That is some seriously flawed logic right there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

2) Once again I mentioned this: Windows in my analogy = cars OSX = planes.
The difference in transportation speaks for itself, I didn't think I had to spell it out(which I essentally did anyways). Planes and cars both serve one task, human transportation, but both do it differently. Just like mac vs windows, same point different excution.

Bloody hell, that's even worse than a straight car analogy. The point of cars and planes is very different, there is very, very little overlap (there are very few journeys that people make by car that they would consider making by plane instead and visa versa). There is far, far more overlap in the capabilities of OS X and Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

No one expects mac os to replace windows.

You mean in the market place as a whole, or for individuals? Because, for many individuals, Mac OS can and has replaced Windows.

Really, without using any analogies whatsoever, you should provide some good reasons why Apple shouldn't have a $999 tower. It doesn't make any business sense for Apple not to offer a version of the most popular desktop configuration in the market.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #218 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

You're trying to tell me that whilst the Mini (starts at $599) looks nice, Apple couldn't make a tower for $999 with the specs I outlined and make its appearance just as attractive as the Mini? That is some seriously flawed logic right there.




Bloody hell, that's even worse than a straight car analogy. The point of cars and planes is very different, there is very, very little overlap (there are very few journeys that people make by car that they would consider making by plane instead and visa versa). There is far, far more overlap in the capabilities of OS X and Windows.



You mean in the market place as a whole, or for individuals? Because, for many individuals, Mac OS can and has replaced Windows.

Really, without using any analogies whatsoever, you should provide some good reasons why Apple shouldn't have a $999 tower. It doesn't make any business sense for Apple not to offer a version of the most popular desktop configuration in the market.

1. Would steal sales away from iMac or Mac Pro
2. not going to sell enough why would anyone want such a machine? Come on, 95% of all desktops sold isn't that much for a form factor.
3. not cool enough for Apple, too PC like.
4. regular PC users are idiots. Anyone with a brain is going to think exactly as Apple.
5. When you add external Card readers, hard drives, hubs, and a giant power strip, the iMac does the same thing
6. With 2.0ghz CPUS, a 20" Apple display, and Airport/Bluetooth, the Mac Pro is only $3000.
7. Since everyone is either only reading emails or working professional projects, Apple's lineup is good enough for everyone. If your needs cannot be met, change yourself
8. Look at what happened when we released the cube,
9. be quiet you PC heathen I don't care how long you've actually been using Macs, you're opinion doesn't count
10. Steve says so and because steve is our god, it must be the case

Have I forgot any other irrational thing I've actually seem thrown out there? God, I should submit this to Dave Letterman.
post #219 of 1658
Quote:
You mean in the market place as a whole, or for individuals? Because, for many individuals, Mac OS can and has replaced Windows..

And for the other individuals, as I, the question is "Do I need OS X to make what I do ?"
post #220 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

But that would also mean a Macbook Shuffle, Macbook Nano, Mac Shuffle and Mac Nano....

Hmm... I wonder what a "mac Shuffle" would be?
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
post #221 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig

10. Steve says so and because steve is our god, it must be the case

Amen to that!
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
Reply
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
Reply
post #222 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklosaur

I can't imagine a Mac Mini ever having those specs...

really?? is could see that in 3 of 4 years...dangerous to say less, but it is possible
post #223 of 1658
Quote:
1. Would steal sales away from iMac or Mac Pro

If priced correctly, with the right hardware configurations, it would not. And even if it stole sales from the iMac, it would have a larger profit margin to make up for it, due to the fact that it uses cheaper (than laptop) desktop parts and does not include a display. As for the Mac Pro, a single conroe w/ standard mobo is a heck of a lot cheaper than 2 xeons and a dual socket mobo, so again it delivers a greater margin. This statement is completely false.
Quote:
2. not going to sell enough why would anyone want such a machine? Come on, 95% of all desktops sold isn't that much for a form factor.

What exactly does that mean? It would sell fine, saying as it makes for a perfect switcher machine. Most switchers need more than just the absolute basics (mini) and already have a display/speakers/etc and would rather not see well-spent money go to the trash.
Quote:
3. not cool enough for Apple, too PC like.

I'm sure J Ive and the design team at Apple can think up a way to make it look better than a $15 plastic case. It's not that hard ya know.
Quote:
4. regular PC users are idiots. Anyone with a brain is going to think exactly as Apple.

I don't quite beleive ~90% of the world is populated with idiots.

So suddenly Jobs and Co are the smartest people alive, and everyone should think like them? What exactly gives you that idea? Just because your a completely loyal boneheaded fanboi, doesn't mean Apple is right in everything they do.

I think your the one being the idiot over here.
Quote:
5. When you add external Card readers, hard drives, hubs, and a giant power strip, the iMac does the same thing

This is more expensive than a 'normal' desktop, creates a lot of clutter, and is a complete pain in the arse. And i know this as a fact, saying that I have that set-up with my laptop. It just doesn;t work. Not to mention that for things like backing up, and other speed-hungry tasks, hubs and external HDs take a huge toll on speed.
Quote:
6. With 2.0ghz CPUS, a 20" Apple display, and Airport/Bluetooth, the Mac Pro is only $3000.

Did you win the lottery or something? Cuz $3000 was a heck of a lot of money last time I checked.
Quote:
7. Since everyone is either only reading emails or working professional projects, Apple's lineup is good enough for everyone. If your needs cannot be met, change yourself

Wow. Do you honestly think that the Apple loyal can be so easily split? Or are you just such a fanboy that you have led yourself to beleive that the fault always lies with the customer? I should not have to change myself to fit within Apples lineup, nor should I have to pay through the nose for something I'll never completely use (MP).
Quote:
8. Look at what happened when we released the cube,

The cube died because it was extremely overpriced for what it was. It was underpowered and offered no expandability. The cube was meant for absolutely silent operation, and people just didn't want it.

And to get back at your second statement, why would anyone want such a machine?
Quote:
9. be quiet you PC heathen I don't care how long you've actually been using Macs, you're opinion doesn't count

Don't be so self-centered, the world don't revolve around you, you know!
Quote:
10. Steve says so and because steve is our god, it must be the case

So, if Steve decided that all of Apple's future computers were going to run Vista/XP, you'd blindingly follow him and say that the OS you shunted for years was suddenly oh so great?

Noah
post #224 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah93

If priced correctly, with the right hardware configurations, it would not. And even if it stole sales from the iMac, it would have a larger profit margin to make up for it, due to the fact that it uses cheaper (than laptop) desktop parts and does not include a display. As for the Mac Pro, a single conroe w/ standard mobo is a heck of a lot cheaper than 2 xeons and a dual socket mobo, so again it delivers a greater margin. This statement is completely false.

What exactly does that mean? It would sell fine, saying as it makes for a perfect switcher machine. Most switchers need more than just the absolute basics (mini) and already have a display/speakers/etc and would rather not see well-spent money go to the trash.

I'm sure J Ive and the design team at Apple can think up a way to make it look better than a $15 plastic case. It's not that hard ya know.

I don't quite beleive ~90% of the world is populated with idiots.

So suddenly Jobs and Co are the smartest people alive, and everyone should think like them? What exactly gives you that idea? Just because your a completely loyal boneheaded fanboi, doesn't mean Apple is right in everything they do.

I think your the one being the idiot over here.

This is more expensive than a 'normal' desktop, creates a lot of clutter, and is a complete pain in the arse. And i know this as a fact, saying that I have that set-up with my laptop. It just doesn;t work. Not to mention that for things like backing up, and other speed-hungry tasks, hubs and external HDs take a huge toll on speed.

Did you win the lottery or something? Cuz $3000 was a heck of a lot of money last time I checked.

Wow. Do you honestly think that the Apple loyal can be so easily split? Or are you just such a fanboy that you have led yourself to beleive that the fault always lies with the customer? I should not have to change myself to fit within Apples lineup, nor should I have to pay through the nose for something I'll never completely use (MP).

The cube died because it was extremely overpriced for what it was. It was underpowered and offered no expandability. The cube was meant for absolutely silent operation, and people just didn't want it.

And to get back at your second statement, why would anyone want such a machine?

Don't be so self-centered, the world don't revolve around you, you know!

So, if Steve decided that all of Apple's future computers were going to run Vista/XP, you'd blindingly follow him and say that the OS you shunted for years was suddenly oh so great?

Noah

Did you read the last line.

"Have I forgot any other irrational thing I've actually seem thrown out there? God, I should submit this to Dave Letterman."
post #225 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah93

If priced correctly, with the right hardware configurations, it would not.

Prove it.

Quote:
And even if it stole sales from the iMac, it would have a larger profit margin to make up for it, due to the fact that it uses cheaper (than laptop) desktop parts and does not include a display.

Wrong, it would have a lower profit margin, because it would be competing with significantly more third-party alternative computers, and as such would have to be released at a commodity price to sell at all.
post #226 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Prove it.

How? With a crystal ball? A time machine?

And at any rate, if it "steals" sales from the iMac and Mac Pro, who cares? The sales it "stole" would most likely be sales the iMac and Mac Pro never deserved in the first place - people who settle for one of those two models because the model they really want doesn't exist.

What ApplePi said about survival of the fittest was spot on. If the iMac is a machine people will want to buy, then people will buy it. If it dies because of a mid tower, then perhaps it's not the best machine suited for the market it's trying to serve. In the end, it's more important that Apple sells more computers than that they sell X amount of some individual model.

For what it's worth, I think the iMac would still do okay. It's got a bunch of things going for it - Front Row, the built-in iSight, a huge screen (by most people's standards in that market), a small footprint, and the fact that it is a very aesthetically pleasing machine. The Mac Pro would lose a few sales from the people rich/stupid/desperate enough to buy a Mac Pro just to get some basic expansion, but it never deserved those sales in the first place and is quite poorly suited to a user who only needs some basic expansion, not a monster quad-core workstation.

Quote:
Wrong, it would have a lower profit margin, because it would be competing with significantly more third-party alternative computers, and as such would have to be released at a commodity price to sell at all.

Well, the fact that some people are rich/stupid/desperate enough to buy a Mac Pro just to get some basic expansion seems to kind of contradict this statement. People looking for a simple open slot and hard drive bay would be grateful to pay just about any price for this machine, as long as it was less than the $2000 that the Power Mac G5 / Mac Pro has cost. Now true, it might be an image issue if the Apple mid-tower cost more than a Dell mid-tower, but 1) Apple seems to have shown that they can compete with Dell with the Mac Pro at least, and 2) there's already an image issue, because switchers are going to compare what Apple would give them to what they could get from Dell, and currently for a mid-range desktop user that'll be about $1000 vs. $2124. No contest.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
post #227 of 1658
You gotta give it to the "OMG HEADLESS" folks; they're persistent.
post #228 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

You gotta give it to the "OMG HEADLESS" folks; they're persistent.

As are those who follow Apple without question.
post #229 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS

How? With a crystal ball? A time machine?

And at any rate, if it "steals" sales from the iMac and Mac Pro, who cares? The sales it "stole" would most likely be sales the iMac and Mac Pro never deserved in the first place - people who settle for one of those two models because the model they really want doesn't exist.

What ApplePi said about survival of the fittest was spot on. If the iMac is a machine people will want to buy, then people will buy it. If it dies because of a mid tower, then perhaps it's not the best machine suited for the market it's trying to serve. In the end, it's more important that Apple sells more computers than that they sell X amount of some individual model.

For what it's worth, I think the iMac would still do okay. It's got a bunch of things going for it - Front Row, the built-in iSight, a huge screen (by most people's standards in that market), a small footprint, and the fact that it is a very aesthetically pleasing machine. The Mac Pro would lose a few sales from the people rich/stupid/desperate enough to buy a Mac Pro just to get some basic expansion, but it never deserved those sales in the first place and is quite poorly suited to a user who only needs some basic expansion, not a monster quad-core workstation.


Well, the fact that some people are rich/stupid/desperate enough to buy a Mac Pro just to get some basic expansion seems to kind of contradict this statement. People looking for a simple open slot and hard drive bay would be grateful to pay just about any price for this machine, as long as it was less than the $2000 that the Power Mac G5 / Mac Pro has cost. Now true, it might be an image issue if the Apple mid-tower cost more than a Dell mid-tower, but 1) Apple seems to have shown that they can compete with Dell with the Mac Pro at least, and 2) there's already an image issue, because switchers are going to compare what Apple would give them to what they could get from Dell, and currently for a mid-range desktop user that'll be about $1000 vs. $2124. No contest.

Plus, has anyone ever actually considered that if such a machine were released and Apple became a more viable option, the iMac sales might actually increase? The Mac community has been think in terms of only its own numbers far too long.
post #230 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker


. . . it would have a lower profit margin, because it would be competing with significantly more third-party alternative computers, and as such would have to be released at a commodity price to sell at all.

Oh, oh. What third-party Mac mini towers are you talking about?

There are none of course. Therefore, Apple can price a Mac mini tower however they wish. If the price is too low, it will take sales from other Macs. If it is too high, a mini tower will not sell. Any particular model Mac is not competing with its Windows equivalent model. The competition between Macs and Windows PCs is a platform wide competition. A particular model Mac, or model Windows PC, competes within its own platform environment.

Now, concerning platform competition, the selection of models within a platform could influence a consumers decision to switch or not to switch. So, let's say a guy has been using Windows, but is looking at Macs. If he happens to like or need a professional, high performance workstation, he will look at what the Mac Pro offers. If he wants a mini tower and Mac doesn't have one, it presents a hurdle. He must see whether there is another model Mac that would satisfy him. Needless to say, the prospect of him switching to a Mac is less in this situation.

Since such a large number of Windows users seem to prefer a mini tower, the lack of a Mac mini tower means Apple is not getting the number of switcher that they could. However, Mac users will mostly stay Mac users and figure out the best way to cope, if they happen to want a mini tower. Some will just pay the difference and get more than they need in a Mac Pro. Others will be reconciled with an iMac or Mac Mini. Still others will make do with an older Mac from eBay or live with what they already have.

In that regard, I'm likely good for several years before needing a new Mac. If Steve wants to tempt me, he needs to have some other Mac in the product lineup. It might not be a mini tower -- I'm not stuck on that -- but a mini tower would sure be tempting.

Jerry
post #231 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy

Oh, oh. What third-party Mac mini towers are you talking about?

Er, what? Third party any-personal-computer towers. Be it Dell, Acer or Gateway.
post #232 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Er, what? Third party any-personal-computer towers. Be it Dell, Acer or Gateway.

And how many of them are available with Mac OS X?
post #233 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Er, what? Third party any-personal-computer towers. Be it Dell, Acer or Gateway.

None of which run Mac OS X. Think about it.
post #234 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig

And how many of them are available with Mac OS X?

So? Are you gonna tell Ferrari to make cheaper cars because you can't find any alternative that uses a Ferrari engine?
post #235 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

You're trying to tell me that whilst the Mini (starts at $599) looks nice, Apple couldn't make a tower for $999 with the specs I outlined and make its appearance just as attractive as the Mini? That is some seriously flawed logic right there.




Bloody hell, that's even worse than a straight car analogy. The point of cars and planes is very different, there is very, very little overlap (there are very few journeys that people make by car that they would consider making by plane instead and visa versa). There is far, far more overlap in the capabilities of OS X and Windows.



You mean in the market place as a whole, or for individuals? Because, for many individuals, Mac OS can and has replaced Windows.

Really, without using any analogies whatsoever, you should provide some good reasons why Apple shouldn't have a $999 tower. It doesn't make any business sense for Apple not to offer a version of the most popular desktop configuration in the market.


1) You have no idea what I'm even commenting on do you?

You said:

"High quality in a car is expensive to achieve. For Audi to offer cheaper alternatives, they'd have to sacrifice a lot of their quality, and then what's the point of buying the resulting car, rather than a competitor's?"

As if that's even true.

What do you think audi offers that other companies do not? A special name for the shifting gears? Other than that, essentally any option you can name can and has been offered by another company.

Claiming that somehow an audi really is THAT much more expensive to produce is complete bullshit.

You're paying for a name mostly. Hmmm reminds me of a certain computer company.

2) You said:
"Bloody hell, that's even worse than a straight car analogy. The point of cars and planes is very different, there is very, very little overlap (there are very few journeys that people make by car that they would consider making by plane instead and visa versa). There is far, far more overlap in the capabilities of OS X and Windows."

Technically, um not they aren't, all vehichles serve the same 2-3 purposes.

Secondly I think it was pretty damn obvious I wasn't speaking in a realistic sense. I was saying imagine(being the key word here) audi made personal planes that were expected to replace cars. And if they did would cars really all be replaced.

The point of that "imagined tale" was to say that no matter what else was there and what it costed the market would not immediately change.

For TWO reasons:

1. The difference between cars and planes would scare people.
2. Audi would be ONE manufacturer making planes in a sea of car manufacturers, they could never own the market because of the sheer unification of other companies.

Now since you couldn't extrapolate that I will break it down for you.

1. Apple machines do not come with windows, that's scares people.
2. Apple is ONE computer company offering OSX vs a bajillion different pc vendors.

There is no possible way apple could own all the marketshare irregardless of what the f*** they build.

3) You said:
" You mean in the market place as a whole, or for individuals? Because, for many individuals, Mac OS can and has replaced Windows.

Really, without using any analogies whatsoever, you should provide some good reasons why Apple shouldn't have a $999 tower. It doesn't make any business sense for Apple not to offer a version of the most popular desktop configuration in the market."

The MARKETPLACE.

Fine no analogies(I didn't start them I used them because they seem so popular with you guys).

I personally would like a 999-1500 tower, I have said this a hundred times.

Apple does NOT offer one because people that are switching do not seem to need them. It wasn't a successful market segment in the past and like chucker said would allow its self to be competeting with other companies offerings right away.

Look at places like cnet they have "which is the best laptop" and list the macbook among other vendors offerings. When they say "which is the best desktop" the imac stands out because it's drastically different. A tower wouldn't it'd blend right in, apple doesn't want that, they want their products to be as different and interesting as possible because when they offered the middle ground idea they got stomped. And no matter what they make they'd never take a lot of the market.

One bitten, twice shy.

Personally I think they're in a good enough position now to afford the loss a mid-range tower might give them if it weren't successful, were as it was too risky in the past.

So to sumarize for the millionth time, I would be the first in line for one but I'm merely showing the other side the arguement and why apple is most likely afraid to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #236 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

You gotta give it to the "OMG HEADLESS" folks; they're persistent.

And legion. 8)
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #237 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

Vinea:

You say many times that "Apple is executing well". Indeed, overall, Apple are doing very well. But apart from the last 12 months or so, Apple have lost market share every single year since 1996. Apple are executing well when it comes to iPods, iTunes and portables. But in the desktop space, I absolutely reject the notion that Apple is "executing well". There is a massive, gaping whole in their lineup which serves to totally ignore the market's most popular desktop configuration, and that doesn't make any business sense at all.

It seems we are arguing in circles (which is why I kinda bowed out) but I did want to pipe back in on this one statement.

Yes, I do believe that Apple is executing well on desktops. Both the mini and apparently the pro has transitioned from PPC to Intel more or less seamlessly. Whenever you transition architectures this smoothly you are executing well in my book.

Given that their desktops now have performance parity with the PC world I think the desktops should do a little better.

Is there a massive gaping hole in their lineup? Yes and no. Yes, there is no mid-tower in the 1500-2000 range. No, Apple feels that the AIO iMac is the product they wish to position there. There STILL might be a low end Mac Pro in that price point with a Conroe and who knows, even a cube resurrected.

/shrug.

I'm willing to wait a quarter or two to see how the new desktops shake out. I don't think its the end of the world that a mid-tower isn't in their lineup.

Vinea

PS regarding market share and software development - I don't think the situation is worsening with the exception of Microsoft pulling VBA from Office. I think with Parallels (and similar solution) the situation for interoperability with Windows improves. You wont be able to game but I'm going to bet it will always be able to run Office.
post #238 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

So? Are you gonna tell Ferrari to make cheaper cars because you can't find any alternative that uses a Ferrari engine?

lmao... That's one of the most ridiculous retorts I've ever read. Thanks.

/drdaz
post #239 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea


Is there a massive gaping hole in their lineup? Yes and no. Yes, there is no mid-tower in the 1500-2000 range. No, Apple feels that the AIO iMac is the product they wish to position there.

And they will never get much more than 5% because of it no matter how much better they are than Microsoft.
post #240 of 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

So? Are you gonna tell Ferrari to make cheaper cars because you can't find any alternative that uses a Ferrari engine?

No, it'd be more like Ferrari making a hydrogen engine and not letting anyone else have it. In the end everyone loses except the oil companies (aka Microsoft).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again?