or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro noise level?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac Pro noise level?

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
For those who have had the opportunity to use the Mac Pro in a relatively quiet environment, I'd like to hear your opinions on the noise level.
post #2 of 41
I haven't bought or heard one yet, but by the looks of it, it should be quieter or just as quet as the G5, because there are huge heatsinks to reduce fan usage.
post #3 of 41
I put my ear to it, and it's completely silent. Almost cooled passively.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
post #4 of 41
Do the fans still rev up when it wakes from sleep?
post #5 of 41
I loved that part about my G5, good question.
post #6 of 41
Can someone start a mac Pro in single user mode? That turns all the fans on full so you can hear what it will be like under a very heavy load.
post #7 of 41
Dear God, let's just hope that infernal chirping that plagued the first batches of G5s is gone with the Mac Pros.
post #8 of 41
I got my Mac Pro today, and its really quiet. There's more hiss coming from my speakers (plugged into my PC)

edit: The fans dont come on after sleep, you can just hear the drive spin up
post #9 of 41
Whoa, that sounds awesome.
post #10 of 41
Installing boot camp now, we'll see if it's a quiet PC too

(writing from my compaq laptop)
post #11 of 41
That should be interesting, since I think the fans are OS X controlled; maybe Apple has a fan driver for Windows.
post #12 of 41
Just got a BSOD during windows install. I might have to do a little tweaking...
post #13 of 41
Bsod?
post #14 of 41
blue screen of death...?
post #15 of 41
Blue Screen Of Death.

Kernel Panic in OSX speak. I think I might be using a windows sp1 disk not a sp2.
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by epimetheus

Dear God, let's just hope that infernal chirping that plagued the first batches of G5s is gone with the Mac Pros.

To the best of my knowledge, Apple never completely got rid of the chirping. They went through something like seven or eight revisions of power supply.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if it is gone in the Mac Pro.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

That should be interesting, since I think the fans are OS X controlled; maybe Apple has a fan driver for Windows.

I think the fans are controlled by the PMU firmware.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

I think the fans are controlled by the PMU firmware.

Does that mean the fans will be controlled in XP aswell?
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapplegenius

I put my ear to it, and it's completely silent. Almost cooled passively.

I am not one to call people out for lieing, but a QUIET quad xeon box?!?!?!?!? This thing is, for all practical purposes, lets face it, a tower server. If the cooling system is as quiet as you say, then I really wanna know how they did it; there seems to be so little baffling in the case: and the thing is aluminium, which would serve to increase whatever noise is put out...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethomson

I got my Mac Pro today, and its really quiet. There's more hiss coming from my speakers (plugged into my PC)

edit: The fans dont come on after sleep, you can just hear the drive spin up

so what happens when you really spin the tires on this bad ass hot rod? compile code, run a database, compress /encode uncompressed video...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #21 of 41
I have to agree with theapplegenious. The only noise I can hear right now is the low hum of my external Maxtor drive and the CD in my Mac Pro. It REALLY is THAT quiet.. so why am I shouting
post #22 of 41
Huh, why does it go fantastic (awesome pun, be quiet) during single-user command line bootup then?
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer

I am not one to call people out for lieing, but a QUIET quad xeon box?!?!?!?!? This thing is, for all practical purposes, lets face it, a tower server. If the cooling system is as quiet as you say, then I really wanna know how they did it; there seems to be so little baffling in the case: and the thing is aluminium, which would serve to increase whatever noise is put out...

They did it because these XEONs are based on the Core 2 Duo micro-architechture which has highly impressive performance-per-watt. This Ars review states (on page 6) that the Mac Pro is quieter than the Power Mac G5 and is generally a very quiet machine, even with high CPU load.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethomson

I have to agree with theapplegenious. The only noise I can hear right now is the low hum of my external Maxtor drive and the CD in my Mac Pro. It REALLY is THAT quiet.. so why am I shouting

Gawd, a rack full of these == quiet datacenter...wonder what xserve will be like in this respect...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

They did it because these XEONs are based on the Core 2 Duo micro-architechture which has highly impressive performance-per-watt. This Ars review states (on page 6) that the Mac Pro is quieter than the Power Mac G5 and is generally a very quiet machine, even with high CPU load.

Now youve done it; I was kinda saving for a big TV, but now; I will be saving for a macpro...you happy now? I am
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer

so what happens when you really spin the tires on this bad ass hot rod? compile code, run a database, compress /encode uncompressed video...

I'm an animator, and I run Maya, I'm still setting the machine up at the moment. I've only had it for 12 hours. I'm installing XP via boot camp right now, so I can get Maya running all four cores. I have Maya running in OSX, but under Rosetta. It seems OK, but I really want to get the most out of this machine until @#%^#$ Autodesk bting out a universal binary of Maya.

Assuming there's no problems with the XP install, I'll run a couple of renders and see how the fans hold up
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethomson

Autodesk bting out a universal binary of Maya.

and you thought the Quark move to OSX was slow...I think this will take the record: If it aint Autocad on Windows at AD, it may as well be a third world refugee...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #28 of 41
Does Windows recognise and (potentially) use all four cores?
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Huh, why does it go fantastic (awesome pun, be quiet) during single-user command line bootup then?

I was wondering the same thing. Do we know that that is definitely the case, because this, at the bottom, under "System Management Controller", states "The Mac Pro uses an advanced system management controller (SMC) to manage thermal and power conditions, while keeping the acoustic noise to a minimum. The SMC is fully independent of the operating system."
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Does Windows recognise and (potentially) use all four cores?

It would have to be the Pro version.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #31 of 41
Okay, cool, I didn't know it could at all.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Okay, cool, I didn't know it could at all.

if pro cant do 4 cores (its limit is 2 CPUs, so it depends how they defined them in the license and system code) you can use Server2k3, which I would recomend for hardcore stuff like Maya because it is lean (as long as you leave out things like active directory).


UPDATE: pro can do it fine
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer

I am not one to call people out for lieing, but a QUIET quad xeon box?!?!?!?!? This thing is, for all practical purposes, lets face it, a tower server. If the cooling system is as quiet as you say, then I really wanna know how they did it; there seems to be so little baffling in the case: and the thing is aluminium, which would serve to increase whatever noise is put out...


By the looks of it, each heatsink must have more than 500 square inches of surface area. Imagine holding a lighter under a broiling pan; it's never really gonna heat up that much. because the air can wick the heat off so fast.

The trick isn't muffling the fan noises; it's barely running the fans at all in the first place.
post #34 of 41
Hey, you know what I just realised? Apple are using sane amounts of thermal grease in these machines! Thank goodness for that.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethomson

Blue Screen Of Death.

Kernel Panic in OSX speak. I think I might be using a windows sp1 disk not a sp2.

can you confirm this ?
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Reply
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Reply
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordak

can you confirm this ?


Yes. I have a couple of XP disks lying around, that I can't remember which ones I've slipstreamed with sp1 or sp2.

Sp1 blue screened, but sp2 worked fine, but the apple boot camp drivers did not.

I'm going to start a thread on Mac Pro and Boot Camp workarounds now that we're getting OT. On topic, however, my XP install is as quiet as OSX 8)
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethomson

I have to agree with theapplegenious. The only noise I can hear right now is the low hum of my external Maxtor drive and the CD in my Mac Pro. It REALLY is THAT quiet.. so why am I shouting

I wonder how quiet it will be with the ATI 1900 video card?
post #38 of 41
OK. I have Maya up and running on the Mac Pro running XP. I loaded up a scene that I'm working on which involves volumetric rendering of a particle simulation. I did a test frame and watched the task manager. All four columns leapt up to 100% and sat there for 6min 52sec while the frame was rendered. There was no increase in fan noise. Mind you, this was only one frame and it's winter down here in Aus at the moment. A 48hour render in the middle of summer may produce different results.

As a comparison, I ran the exact same frame on my single pentium 2.8 to see how much faster the woodcrests are. The frame rendered in 47min 24sec. Thats nearly 7 times longer than the mac, even though the mac is theoretically only 3.8 times faster in pure GHz (10.64GHz vs 2.8GHz). This shows how much more efficient the new core architecture is than the old P4s.

The best Aus$3,999 I ever spent!
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by demenas

I wonder how quiet it will be with the ATI 1900 video card?

You're going to hear the card, that's for sure.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethomson

Yes. I have a couple of XP disks lying around, that I can't remember which ones I've slipstreamed with sp1 or sp2.

Sp1 blue screened, but sp2 worked fine, but the apple boot camp drivers did not.

I'm going to start a thread on Mac Pro and Boot Camp workarounds now that we're getting OT. On topic, however, my XP install is as quiet as OSX 8)

So you got it to work with workarounds? Can you explain here a bit more?....

nm i see your new topic
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Reply
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro noise level?