or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › More features of Apple's Leopard leaked on Web
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More features of Apple's Leopard leaked on Web

post #1 of 142
Thread Starter 
A slew of unannounced features in Apple Computer's upcoming Mac OS X Leopard operating system have begun to turn up on blogs and Web sites around the web.

In particular, a posting to the Windows Vista developer community site, AeroXperience, reveals well over a dozen previously undiscussed features -- specifically those pertinent to developers. Each of the enhancements are present in a beta release of Leopard (Leopard Preview) which was handed to developers at Apple's developer conference this week.

Resolution Independence

According to the posting, Leopard will finally turn up resolution independence, a feature that has been lingering beneath the surface of Mac OS X since the first betas of Mac OS X Tiger. Resolution independent user interfaces essentially break the software assumption that all display output is to be rendered at 72 dots per inch (DPI).

The new Quartz-driven technology should let users choose between viewing more detail (more pixels per point, but fewer points on the screen) or a larger user interface (fewer pixels per point but more points on the screen) without altering the resolution of the computer's display. (For more, please see our special report from Aug. 2004).

QuickTime

Inside Leopard Preview developers find the current version of QuickTime (QuickTime 7.1) but a greatly enhanced underlying QTKit framework. Among the reported improvements are better correction for nonsquare pixels, support for aperture mode dimensions, and the use of clean aperture -- the user-displayable region of video that does not contain transition artifacts caused by the encoding process.

It's also said that Leopard's QTKit framework will offer developers QuickTime capture from sources such as cameras and microphones, full screen recording and QuickTime stream recording. Additionally, developers should be able to take live content from a capture and broadcast it as stream over a network.

Full Screen Mode and Time Machine

Meanwhile it appears that Apple's new Core Animation library will provide for some spiffy applications down the line. It allows developers to place any Mac OS X interface view into fullscreen mode and do so while using a CoreImage transition effect. Similarly, developers can tell interface windows to use explicit animations when resizing, such as the three dimensional effect Apple previewed in its demonstration Time Machine.

For those who may have missed it, Time Machine is a fascinating file backup system that Apple is building into Leopard. It works not only across the Mac OS X Finder but can also be built into third party applications. According to the web report, one of the tools Apple is giving developers is a programming interface to exclude unimportant files. Removing these files from the backup set should improves backup performance and reduces space needed for a backup.

Image Editing Enhancements and Added RAW Support

Leopard developers also gain access to an Image Kit that will allow them to easily create an application that can browse, view, crop, rotate and pick images. The kit offers the ability to apply Core Image filter effects through an interface and gives developers a slideshow interface, allowing any application to display a fullscreen slideshow of images.

Major Improvements Possible for Carbon Apps

According to the posting at AeroXperience, Carbon applications -- those build upon the Classic Mac OS programming interfaces -- can be embedded with Cocoa views under Leopard. Speculation is that this interoperability could provide applications like Photoshop and Microsoft Office access to advanced functions previously only available to Cocoa applications.

Grammar Check, Multiple Clipboard and Added RSS support

Apple has also been bolstering the Mac OS X text engine, according to the report, and plans to deliver a system-wide grammar checking facility, smart quote support, automatic link detection and support for copying and pasting multiple selections.

On a separate subject, Leopard developers will gain access to a new set of RSS tools for generating, parsing, publishing, and subscribing to RSS feeds through their applications. Local feeds can even be shared over Bonjour zero-configuration sharing and discovery, the report adds.

iCal, Address Book, Automator, more

Other enhancements discovered in the Leopard Preview include shared user account and Address Book support, a new Automator workflow interface, and a new Calendar Store framework that allows developers access to calendar, event and task information from iCal for integration in their applications.

Leopard Preview reportedly ships with Apache 2.0, Ruby on Rails and Subversion. It also adds support for script-to-framework programming, allowing Python and Ruby scripting to access Mac OS X specific programming interfaces.
post #2 of 142
out of interest, how much of a difference is resolution independance really?
post #3 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frediography

out of interest, how much of a difference is resolution independance really?

Tons if you use it. For instance a nice BIG display. Or indeed the opposite I find myself doing (via the ever handy Universal Access zoom tool) where I command+option+8 text and graphics up to a more comfortable size on my 12" PB.

Anyway .... summary: there's loads of great stuff under the new cat's skin. Everyone keep your eyes peeled for some stunning new apps. And stop whinging about the keynote as though it was missing a chorus number for the finale!
post #4 of 142
What is a shared user account?
post #5 of 142
No surprise that something vista related would be the one to leak some of leopard's secrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #6 of 142
Photoshop is still Carbon? Gadzooks! How long has Cocoa been out now, five years? Come on, Adobe, stop clinging to ancient code. You have to make the change sooner or later. CS3 - Universal - Cocoa, just do it.
post #7 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

Photoshop is still Carbon? Gadzooks! How long has Cocoa been out now, five years? Come on, Adobe, stop clinging to ancient code. You have to make the change sooner or later. CS3 - Universal - Cocoa, just do it.

You just had to, didn't you.
post #8 of 142
Instead of a bum, which is what I am! *

At least ten years ago, I wondered why interfaces were laid out with absolute numbers of pixels like in Visual Basic 3, ResEdit and Interface Builder. They should have been done with a proportion (like a fraction between 0.000 and 1.000) of the length and/or width of the window. The font size of the text would be controlled by the enclosing item (button, text box) and the size of the string in the language used and mirrored vertically for right-to-left languages like Hebrew and Arabic.

I didn't do anything with those thoughts, but now it's called "resolution independence" and it's suddenly all sexy and that! Damn, I could have been the father of all that!

*Ten points if you can name that quote.
post #9 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

Photoshop is still Carbon? Gadzooks! How long has Cocoa been out now, five years? Come on, Adobe, stop clinging to ancient code. You have to make the change sooner or later. CS3 - Universal - Cocoa, just do it.

I doubt that'll ever happen. Cross platform apps don't use cocoa for the reason that those APIs are not on other platforms so it doesn't make sense to use them on the Mac especially in large programs. It would likely take too much development time.

The furthest I could see them taking it is using Cocoa features from Carbon, which the new Xcode apparently allows. They definitely need to get a universal version out soon though. I can see it really affecting Apple's transition.
post #10 of 142
Quote:
how much of a difference is resolution independance really?

From what I can see it only makes a big difference if you are working on a really large screen or a really small screen. It would make less difference for screens in the middle.

Months ago I had someone show me resolution independence in Windows. As UI elements were enlarged they aliased or became pixilated.

I said this is horrible why are people making such a big deal about it. At least for right now this is completely useless.

I imagine Apple knew it was pretty useless to enlarge your UI into a pixilated mess so why bother with it until you can get all of the elements working properly.
post #11 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frediography

out of interest, how much of a difference is resolution independance really?

I'm not sure what you mean.


I want it so I can get crisper text by buying higher density displays but keep the text the same size. Fonts should be described in standardized print point sizes, not pixels. So that would make the display more like printers, when someone buys a higher dpi printer, they don't expect that the printed image is half the intended size. That and when someone choses a larger system font for easier readability, without resolution independence, it breaks a lot of controls as the text gets cut off.
post #12 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave

Instead of a bum, which is what I am! *

*Ten points if you can name that quote.

Brando from "On the Waterfront".

I claim my ten points, which I exchange for a fully specced out Mac Pro, at the current points exchange rate.
post #13 of 142
Was Quicktime made more quad-CPU capable? Current versions max out at two CPU utilization, some codecs can't take advantage of more than one CPU. Was MPEG-2 encoding made multi-CPU capable? iDVD takes forever to encode regardless of the number of CPUs because it will only use one CPU, or 50% of each of two CPUs, or maybe 25% of each of four CPUs.

Was there any mention of being able to assign processes to specific CPUs?
post #14 of 142
I hate to be ants at a picnic, but resolutions independence is going to require a lot of changes that have to be implemented in the code of an application, particularly for graphics applications.

Since this wasn't mentioned at the keynote, the only way this is going into Leopard is if it's a big part of the NDA'd material, and even then, lots of people's apps will get screwed up.

I'm sad too.. that was one feature I was really looking forward too.
post #15 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I hate to be ants at a picnic, but resolutions independence is going to require a lot of changes that have to be implemented in the code of an application, particularly for graphics applications.

Since this wasn't mentioned at the keynote, the only way this is going into Leopard is if it's a big part of the NDA'd material, and even then, lots of people's apps will get screwed up.

I'm sad too.. that was one feature I was really looking forward too.

I think it depends on how they set it up. If it's part of an API extension, where the behavior and look if unaware apps doesn't change, then it won't be a big deal. I think it would be a big mistake to expect all apps to be updated just to work properly in a new OS revision, I mean, requiring all apps to be updated that just recently had to be updated for Universal isn't going to win developer enthusiasm.
post #16 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I hate to be ants at a picnic, but resolutions independence is going to require a lot of changes that have to be implemented in the code of an application, particularly for graphics applications.

Since this wasn't mentioned at the keynote, the only way this is going into Leopard is if it's a big part of the NDA'd material, and even then, lots of people's apps will get screwed up.

I'm sad too.. that was one feature I was really looking forward too.

the vestiges of RI have been in the OS since Tiger shipped. Developers are likely learning right now about whether they shoule start preparing their apps or not. It shouldn't take 6 months.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #17 of 142
Loose lips... shaddap!

As much as I love being kept up to date on all of the great up-and-coming features of OS XI, I would much rather Microsoft take as big a blind punch in the face as possible on this one. I'm sure most in the forums would agree with me on this one. We can all sacrifice our impatience and lust for a more depressed MS tomorrow (Spring '07).
post #18 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by psilopsyche

Loose lips... shaddap!
As much as I love being kept up to date on all of the great up-and-coming features of OS XI, I would much rather Microsoft take as big a blind punch in the face as possible on this one. . .

Funnily enough, guess who is probably sending the largest (or second largest) contingent of developers to WWDC? I wonder how the developers from the MicroShaft Mac Business Unit understand the NDA. In theory, they should be absolutely forbidden from discussing secrets with anyone in the other units of the company! In reality, I'm sure Ballmer et al. come down and say, "Hey, guys, we just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars sending you to WWDC. What did you find out?"
post #19 of 142
I made front page on AI. Nifty.
post #20 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha

Brando from "On the Waterfront".

I claim my ten points, which I exchange for a fully specced out Mac Pro, at the current points exchange rate.

Excellent! Full pointage awarded!

You are quite modest -- each point was worth a tricked-out Mac Pro or a 30" Cinema Display. Since you made your request, I will honor your request.

Please send a handling fee of $499 along with your full name, address, Social Security Number, bank routing number, checking account number, birthday, mother's maiden name, the times your home is vacant, and if you have dogs, their names, sizes and favorite foods.

Congratulations! Just perform those little formalities and you'll be using your Mac Pro in no time!
post #21 of 142
So, where is the information that QE2D is enabled?

- Mark
post #22 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

Photoshop is still Carbon? Gadzooks! How long has Cocoa been out now, five years? Come on, Adobe, stop clinging to ancient code. You have to make the change sooner or later. CS3 - Universal - Cocoa, just do it.

Oh no, you didn't just say that did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

You just had to, didn't you.

Maybe we need a sticky at the top of the Mac OS forum that says "Cocoa isn't all that!"

There are many things that you can do in Carbon that you just can't do in Cocoa, or couldn't until very recently. One big one is leverage all the QuickTime APIs, and I imagine that that's a big reason why Photoshop is still Carbon.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #23 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

Cross platform apps don't use cocoa for the reason that those APIs are not on other platforms

Neither is Carbon.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #24 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

I doubt that'll ever happen. Cross platform apps don't use cocoa for the reason that those APIs are not on other platforms so it doesn't make sense to use them on the Mac especially in large programs. .

As someone has said - carbon also isn't available on Windows. The big developers use their own environments to aid in writing for Mac and Win simultaneously, but it hurts them when Apple makes a huge change as they're left out while everyone recompiles under Xcode.

Cocoa used to be on windows and Unix via OpenStep, and Carbon frameworks were apparently available for Windows, via Quicktime (unofficially). Nothing that really helps a developer write in Cocoa/Carbon for both though anymore.
post #25 of 142
Resolution independence was announced many months ago, and in detail:

http://developer.apple.com/releaseno...pendentUI.html

I've tried it in Tiger--very cool but still rough of course--it's only there for developers to test with. If you want to try it, every Tiger DVD comes with the Quartz Debug app that can enable the feature.

(Get Pacifist from versiontracker.com if you want to install just Quartz Debug without the rest of the dev tools.)
post #26 of 142
If carbon and cocoa APIs were available on Windows, do you really think a major application developer like Adobe would develop solely with Carbon/Cocoa or continue using the Windows API's their using now?
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
Reply
Mac OS X Leopard vs. Windows Vista
http://www.macvswindows.com
Reply
post #27 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty

If carbon and cocoa APIs were available on Windows, do you really think a major application developer like Adobe would develop solely with Carbon/Cocoa or continue using the Windows API's their using now?

They don't use the Windows API, at least not at the level I think you're meaning. They have their own framework they use for user interfaces to create cross platform applications.

See http://opensource.adobe.com/
post #28 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave

Instead of a bum, which is what I am! *

At least ten years ago, I wondered why interfaces were laid out with absolute numbers of pixels like in Visual Basic 3, ResEdit and Interface Builder. They should have been done with a proportion (like a fraction between 0.000 and 1.000) of the length and/or width of the window. The font size of the text would be controlled by the enclosing item (button, text box) and the size of the string in the language used and mirrored vertically for right-to-left languages like Hebrew and Arabic.

I didn't do anything with those thoughts, but now it's called "resolution independence" and it's suddenly all sexy and that! Damn, I could have been the father of all that!

*Ten points if you can name that quote.

No, that's the wrong way to do it too.

You should only really hint where interface elements should be. eg. this button goes to the left of this entry field. It's not new, we were doing this 20 years ago at a company I worked at that produced cross platform code that ran on DOS, OS/2, Windows and Motif using the same binary.
post #29 of 142
btw. This (or something like it) is what OSX needs from Apple to compete with Microsoft's XAML...

http://www.gnustep.it/Renaissance/
post #30 of 142
"Major Improvements Possible for Carbon Apps

According to the posting at AeroXperience, Carbon applications -- those build upon the Classic Mac OS programming interfaces -- can be embedded with Cocoa views under Leopard. Speculation is that this interoperability could provide applications like Photoshop and Microsoft Office access to advanced functions previously only available to Cocoa applications"

What does this actually refer to/ mean exactly?
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
Reply
post #31 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave

Funnily enough, guess who is probably sending the largest (or second largest) contingent of developers to WWDC? I wonder how the developers from the MicroShaft Mac Business Unit understand the NDA. In theory, they should be absolutely forbidden from discussing secrets with anyone in the other units of the company! In reality, I'm sure Ballmer et al. come down and say, "Hey, guys, we just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars sending you to WWDC. What did you find out?"

It is my hope the despicable leaker and corporate sponsor can be identified by Apple and thoroughly trounced.
post #32 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

Fonts should be described in standardized print point sizes, not pixels. So that would make the display more like printers, when someone buys a higher dpi printer, they don't expect that the printed image is half the intended size. That and when someone choses a larger system font for easier readability, without resolution independence, it breaks a lot of controls as the text gets cut off.

Not true for web design ...

Font size should ALWAYS BE IN PIXELS for control of the look of a page, make a CSS for print using points - thats what it is for. Points are for printers only. This is easy typography 101 stuff. If you want to make is so people can use there own font size and do not care about how the page is rendered use EM's.

Every screen renders pixels the exact same size, points and EM's are rendered different from system to system and monitors.

EDIT here is a good resource : http://webdesign.about.com/cs/typeme.../aa042803a.htm
post #33 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState

Every screen renders pixels the exact same size

A 15" screen with native 800 x 600 does not have pixels the exact same size as one with native 1600 x 1200.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #34 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

A 15" screen with native 800 x 600 does not have pixels the exact same size as one with native 1600 x 1200.


From the link I posted:

"if control over the look of your Web page is your biggest concern, then you should use pixels. Pixels are the standard unit of measure for screens and monitors, and fonts will be more precisely the size you want on the screen."
post #35 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState

From the link I posted:

"if control over the look of your Web page is your biggest concern, then you should use pixels. Pixels are the standard unit of measure for screens and monitors, and fonts will be more precisely the size you want on the screen."

My point was that pixels are not always the same size. If you use pixels in your webpage, yes, you know that the layout can't get borked and the relative positions of everything will always be the same, no matter what resolution it is viewed in. But, the higher the resolution of the screen, the smaller the content. This is what resolution independence is for: maintaining relative positions etc. but keeping everything at a readable size whilst allowing for high-detail imagery.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #36 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

My point was that pixels are not always the same size. If you use pixels in your webpage, yes, you know that the layout can't get borked and the relative positions of everything will always be the same, no matter what resolution it is viewed in. But, the higher the resolution of the screen, the smaller the content. This is what resolution independence is for: maintaining relative positions etc. but keeping everything at a readable size whilst allowing for high-detail imagery.

Yes however using Points or EM will break your design no matter what. Fonts rendered in Pixels will always be rendered the same size in proportion to images and other elements. I do not see how using Points will work better than Pixels in resolution independence.

Ideally any resolution independence would look at the font size and enlarge it or shrink it the same way it does images.
post #37 of 142
Geez, if Steve had talked about Multiple Clipboards at WWDC, people would be foaming at the mouth... but like this, no one will take much interest.
post #38 of 142
I don't think any of these are the "top secret" features that Jobs alluded to at all.

He's not going to say, "there are some things we're keeping close to our vest so our friends up North don't start their copiers just yet" and then the same day hand everyone a DVD containing any of those features.

These are just things that weren't deemed headline important enough to hit the top 10 demos.

The real top secret things won't be on Leopard Preview until they are no longer top secret. I'm guessing things like a revamped Finder, an app that could more or less just appear later on without affecting developers use of the OS X APIs, which is why they need Leopard now.
post #39 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState

Yes however using Points or EM will break your design no matter what. Fonts rendered in Pixels will always be rendered the same size in proportion to images and other elements. I do not see how using Points will work better than Pixels in resolution independence.

Ideally any resolution independence would look at the font size and enlarge it or shrink it the same way it does images.

12 points implies 12 pixels at 72 DPI. 12 pixels implies 12 pixels at any DPI.

So, a user with a 200 DPI screen of the future will need phenomenal eyesight to read a 12 pixel font—it will only be 1.5mm. They'll have no problem reading the 12 point font type which'll be 4.23mm.

I don't think you understand resolution independence very well....

In all likelihood, since the web ISN'T coded for resolution indendence, it'll scale pixels anyway, though.
post #40 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha

Brando from "On the Waterfront".

I claim my ten points, which I exchange for a fully specced out Mac Pro, at the current points exchange rate.

You're smarter than you look.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › More features of Apple's Leopard leaked on Web