or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jobs talks up Apple cell phone

Jobs talks up Apple cell phone

post #1 of 94
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs has been boasting about his company's much-rumored iPod cell phone amongst inner circles, AppleInsider has been told.

The remarks are uncharacteristic of Jobs, who is often regarded for his obsession with secrecy -- especially when it comes to unannounced products from his own company. But it's been said that Jobs' own excitement over the device has produced a number of zealous ramblings amongst personal acquaintances dating back to this spring.

One person familiar with the ongoings believes the Apple cofounder has commissioned the release of cell phone prototypes to at least two potential OEM manufacturing partners in recent months. Current designs are said to conform to Apple's integrated model and leverage its tightly-knit digital media franchises, that person added.

Speaking on conditions of anonymity, a second informant has told AppleInsider of an incremental buzz surrounding the phone, which has heightened in recent weeks. The informant, who flourishes a nearly unblemished track record in predicting Apple's future music directions, has said the device is slated to turn up earlier than some people may be expecting, in the form of a "big bang" introduction that will catch even some insiders off-guard.

By now, the notion of an Apple-branded iPod cell phone has grown from rumor to expectation, fueled in part by analysts on Wall Street who have become increasingly vocal in their convictions that Apple is developing such a device.

Upon exiting a meeting with the company's leadership earlier this year, Bear Stearns analyst Andy Neff said it was his belief an iPod phone was "in the works." Similarly, Shaw Wu, an analyst with American Technology Research, recently stated his "firm" belief that Apple has been working on cell phone technology.

Wu said the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is likely to adopt an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) strategy, where it will not own a licensed frequency spectrum, but instead resell wireless services from larger providers under its own name. Such an approach would allow Apple to maintain tight control over the phone's user experience, he said.

However, Wu is like a handful of analysts that are doubtful Apple will be able to roll-out its mobile strategy until mid-2007 at the earliest. Instead, the analyst believes the company is still working out its go-to-market strategy and may need the additional time.

For Apple, a long-running concern about offering an iPod cell phone is the risk that it may cannibalize the low-end flash player market, which includes its 1GB and smaller capacity iPod digital music players.

"The company has said it is possible that a music-enabled phone could cannibalize the demand for a lower priced iPods," PiperJaffray analyst Gene Munster recently told his clients. He equates the conflict to the inclusion of digital cameras in cell phones, which did not impact demand for higher end cameras, but weighed on the lower-end market.

"While we continue to believe there is a high chance that Apple will launch an iPhone in the next 12 months, the company says that the right path for Apple is to continue to pursue devices with one primary feature and not focus on multiple functions in one device," Munster said.

Still, Apple has been known to make diversionary comments in an effort to safeguard its future product plans. During a conference call with media and analysts in October 2004, a member of the company's executive team stated that Apple had no plans to enter the sub-$800 PC market and would instead focus its efforts on its booming music business and related products. Less than three months later, Apple introduced its first sub-$500 computer: the Mac mini.

For these and other reasons, the mainstream media has been unwilling to relent in its probes into the possibility of an iPod cell phone. At times, even Jobs appears to have been caught slightly off guard by the barrage. At the launch of the Apple Store Fifth Avenue in Manhattan this May, a CNBC reporter abruptly asked the Apple chief when consumers would be able to buy an Apple iPhone.

"You know, we never talk about unannounced products," said Jobs, "...but if we ever do announce something like that I'd love to talk to you about it then."

Jobs may have been speaking literally, say insiders, who note that he is unlikely to proceed with plans to bring the device to market unless all the pieces fall smoothly into play at the right time. "It must function as seamlessly as it looks," said a source. "That's the only way he will have it."

The mercurial CEO has watched new product initiatives span well into their respective development cycles before deciding to pull the plug for one reason or another. A known perfectionist, Jobs has also gone on record in saying that he is just as proud of the products Apple has shipped over the year's as he is with the company's deciscion not to ship others.

But it's looking increasingly unlikely that Apple's mobile initiative will fall by way of the ax. Perhaps the most telling piece of evidence to this end came during the company's quarterly conference call last month. During the call, an analyst pressed members of Apple's leadership for their thoughts on the tremendous growth Sony has realized with its relatively new Walkman phone. Apple's chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer fielded the question by saying, "We dont think [...] phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is, but over time thats likely to change." He then added, "And we are not sitting around doing nothing."
post #2 of 94
This is still my favorite prototype of an Apple iPhone.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=italk&pl=true
post #3 of 94
If Apple plans to release the phone before next spring, I would place my bet on a 2006 pre holiday shopping season release.
post #4 of 94
I'm getting that warm and fuzzy feeling again.
post #5 of 94
I do not have a cell phone. I have never had a cell phone. I have borrowed my wife's on occasion and can see that benefit but haven't really found something I'd care to carry around with me 24/7. If Apple comes out with a unit the offer the same experience we have become accustomed to with Apple products, I will buy one.

And if I, who is one of the world's last cellphone holdouts, would buy one, what about those who live with their cellphone attached to their ears? They will not only sell phones but it'll also move people to buy MACS because you know that iLife will be set up just for it. Very exciting stuff.
post #6 of 94
bring it on jobs....we've been waiting for the last 2 years for this product

this would be a huge slap on Bill Softies Zune piece of "South Harmon Institute of Technology"

i want to stop seeing the chocolate comericals on this site....it blasmey.....please
post #7 of 94
Monday, October 23rd 2006.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #8 of 94
If it's a flip phone, I'm nearly sold. If it's also an unlocked international phone, then I'm sold.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 94
None of the mockus I've seen in the past couple years even come close to something that Apple would release. I also have a feeling it won't be a flip phone, that just wouldn't match the Apple aesthetic.
post #10 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by West

I also have a feeling it won't be a flip phone, that just wouldn't match the Apple aesthetic.

I agree.
post #11 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984

Uh oh, here you go again!\
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

I agree.

as do i....... sigh. \

I like flip phones better.
post #13 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofreak85

as do i....... sigh. \

Why so?
post #14 of 94
And which thread will your 5K'th post end up in, Mel?
post #15 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

Why so?

cuz my phones generally get thrown around a lot, and in a flip phone the screen is better protected.

That and I feel so snazzy when I flip my phone open
post #16 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk

And which thread will your 5K'th post end up in, Mel?

You just made it happen.

Now Sunil can't laugh at me anymore.
post #17 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker

I do not have a cell phone. I have never had a cell phone. I have borrowed my wife's on occasion and can see that benefit but haven't really found something I'd care to carry around with me 24/7. If Apple comes out with a unit the offer the same experience we have become accustomed to with Apple products, I will buy one.

And if I, who is one of the world's last cellphone holdouts, would buy one, what about those who live with their cellphone attached to their ears? They will not only sell phones but it'll also move people to buy MACS because you know that iLife will be set up just for it. Very exciting stuff.

Welcome to the boards halhiker.

I have a phone but I'd ditch it in a hearbeat for an Apple phone that syncs flawlessly with OS X Address Book and iCal. I'd love to have a larger screen than what I generally see I'm not all that concerned about how much music. 50 songs would be fine for me in a phone.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #18 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker

I don't live with my phone to my ear but it is with me every where I go because it is a Palm OS Treo and I've been using a Palm based PDA of some sort for almost 10 years. An iPod phone would be cool, but I'm more interested in having a device I can keep track of appointments, to do lists, my finances, my music database (I'm a DJ), my email, etc.

As for working with Mac applications: if the phone was to have Treo type PIM features then the first thing they better do is figure out a way to put repeating To Do items in iCal! I've worked with PIMs for years and never have I seen one where you can't set a To Do to repeat!! (I'm hoping the new To Do's and Notes in Leopard will fix this but the on-line previews don't indicate it). Then they'd also have to improve iSync's ability to handle complex conduits because it's horrible with "smart" phones like the Treo.

My prediction: I'll still have my Treo (or maybe the newer one); and I'll be listening to music and watching videos on the next gen ipod with large touch screen!
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

...he is just as proud of the products Apple has shipped over the year's

:sigh:
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #20 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun

This is still my favorite prototype of an Apple iPhone.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=italk&pl=true

well even though I think that is an interesting design it is however, fairly un apple like.
I say un-apple-like because I think the design is too elaborate in terms of moving parts etc.
Even though I like the design, In a sense, I think it's far more likely that apple will release a monoblock.

although, one thing which I think will make that particular design (your link) much better is this:

change the clickwheel to the other side of the lid it's sitting on now.
this means that when the phone is closed, you will have the clickwheel underneath the smaller display for basic iPod functionality, when a call comes in the display will show you the adress book image and name of the person calling. When you flip the phone open to reveal the large screen, you don't need the clickwheel anymore as it can be generated on the touchscreen itself, as pending patent or patents pending have revealed.

as the design is now, the clickwheel in my opinion is at an awkward, fragile and useless place on the product. I hope you agree.

then again, I may well be overlooking something blatantly obvious.... I am a man after all!
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

I have a phone but I'd ditch it in a hearbeat for an Apple phone that syncs flawlessly with OS X Address Book and iCal. I'd love to have a larger screen than what I generally see I'm not all that concerned about how much music. 50 songs would be fine for me in a phone.

I too would get an Apple iPhone

However, I have a Nokia N70 and it syncs flawlessly with OSX Address Book and iCal. I'm very happy with it. It also sends and receives IMAP based mail which is very effecctive. I would like it more if it synced post-it notes, auto transferred some of the low res pictures the phone takes, and synced my inbox and sent mail.
post #22 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

If it's a flip phone, I'm nearly sold. If it's also an unlocked international phone, then I'm sold.

Yeah sure, the company that does not sell anything cheap is gonna give you an unlocked phone. I guess you'll never be sold!!!. (maybe if they offer the unlocked phone option at $1000 bucks, then you'll be sold?).

Heck, verizon, cingular, etc all have phones over $400 and those are phones that are locked and subsidized by the carrier!!!!.. Can you imagine the price of an unlocked overpriced apple phone?
post #23 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse

Yeah sure, the company that does not sell anything cheap is gonna give you an unlocked phone. I guess you'll never be sold!!!.

Locked and unlocked has nothing to do with Apple or Nokia etc. That's the networks subsidising a phone - and in doing so they want to make sure you use their network.
post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkbaq

bring it on jobs....we've been waiting for the last 2 years for this product

this would be a huge slap on Bill Softies Zune piece of "South Harmon Institute of Technology"

i want to stop seeing the chocolate comericals on this site....it blasmey.....please

BURN!! That's an awesome line there with the South Harmon Institute....
post #25 of 94
Quote:

as do i....... sigh. \

I feel the same. As I child I was always fascinated by that snappy little click open/close you get from a jewelry box. I would have opened and closed it for like an hour straight if my mom would've let me. Now that I'm grown, I would look like an idiot carrying a jewelry box with me everywhere, but I can carry my flip phone and no one is the wiser.
post #26 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984

You should change that to the 24th, because then it'd be a tuesday.
post #27 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander

Locked and unlocked has nothing to do with Apple or Nokia etc. That's the networks subsidising a phone - and in doing so they want to make sure you use their network.

Duh.. of course the carriers are subsidizing the phone.. that was my point!!!. Do people really know the cost of an unsubsidized phone, espicially one from a company that routinely charges a premium for it's products (and yes, apple will not be selling you the phone directly but guess who has to pay exhorbitant prices for apple phones before selling them to you, yeah, the same carriers you expect to sell you the phone unlocked). Imagine what the price of an unsubsizided blackberry would be and then tack on another 200 for the apple phone. No thanks!!!.. I'd rather apple made the phone available to all carriers and then they can subsidize the phone to whatever margin they see fit.
post #28 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander

I too would get an Apple iPhone

However, I have a Nokia N70 and it syncs flawlessly with OSX Address Book and iCal. I'm very happy with it. It also sends and receives IMAP based mail which is very effecctive. I would like it more if it synced post-it notes, auto transferred some of the low res pictures the phone takes, and synced my inbox and sent mail.

Hmm, I just spent a whole day researching an upgrade to my aging SE T610. Now I guess I'll have to wait some more to see what our favorite Fruit Company puts out.

I agree that it'll have to sync flawlessly. But I wonder if they'll allow it to be used as a bluetooth modem without exorbitant data usage fees. I can currently use my phone as a (slow) modem using the cheapo $5/mo T-mobile add-on, but I only do it in emergencies.

Also, will they stay off of Salling's "turf", or come out with Clicker-like functionality?
post #29 of 94
Quote:

Duh.. of course the carriers are subsidizing the phone.. that was my point!!!. Do people really know the cost of an unsubsidized phone, espicially one from a company that routinely charges a premium for it's products (and yes, apple will not be selling you the phone directly but guess who has to pay exhorbitant prices for apple phones before selling them to you, yeah, the same carriers you expect to sell you the phone unlocked). Imagine what the price of an unsubsizided blackberry would be and then tack on another 200 for the apple phone. No thanks!!!.. I'd rather apple made the phone available to all carriers and then they can subsidize the phone to whatever margin they see fit.

Why do think it would be overpriced? It will be priced to sell with a a 20 - 25% margin as all Apple products are, and Apple is competitive in every sector these days. I imagine it will be around $400 unlocked ~ however, its likely that it will be tied to an Apple virtual service so that the user experience can be controlled. The service is the key; if they get it right the iPhone will sell by the gazillion.
post #30 of 94
So they are pushing the iphone.... what about the "true" ipod video? have we all forgotten?
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
post #31 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie924

You should change that to the 24th, because then it'd be a tuesday.

The 23rd marks the 5th anniversary of the iPod though. It was announced on a Tuesday of course but the anniversary falls on a Monday. There is no real rule though. The WWDC keynote took place on a Monday and gave us the Mac Pro.

post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I feel the same. As I child I was always fascinated by that snappy little click open/close you get from a jewelry box. I would have opened and closed it for like an hour straight if my mom would've let me. Now that I'm grown, I would look like an idiot carrying a jewelry box with me everywhere, but I can carry my flip phone and no one is the wiser.

True AI confessions...?

"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #33 of 94
1973...The cell phone is invented and so is Johnny Mozzarella(Thanks Mom!)
Thursday, April 1st 1976...Apple introduces the Apple I personal computer
Tuesday, January 24th 1984...Apple introduces the Macintosh
Saturday, March 24th, 2001...Apple releases Mac OS X
Tuesday, October 23rd 2001...Apple introduces the iPod
Tuesday, October 17th 2006... My contract with Cingular expires
Monday, October 23rd 2006... Apple introduces the iFün
post #34 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57

Why do think it would be overpriced? It will be priced to sell with a a 20 - 25% margin as all Apple products are, and Apple is competitive in every sector these days. I imagine it will be around $400 unlocked ~ however, its likely that it will be tied to an Apple virtual service so that the user experience can be controlled. The service is the key; if they get it right the iPhone will sell by the gazillion.

$400 unlocked?.. are you for real?.. apple competitive with a 20-25% markup?.. how is that competitive?. if this phone is even less than $400 locked, i'd be shocked. Apple is competitive as a BMW 325i is to a Corolla. Secondly, if this will be an apple service, why would it be unlocked?. What would the purpose of that be?. Why would apple sell you an unlocked phone meant to work with their service?. A better deal would be for apple to sell the phone to carriers and let them subsidize the phone themselves.. How long have you been around apple?.. since when do they subsidize a product (any product) that could then be used on a competitor service (does the ipod work with any other music service?). You are being unrealistic. Apple is in the business of making money, not building products that people can then buy and use with a competitor service. You bet your pretty dollar that the only way you getting an unlocked phone is if someone bought it and then unlocked and resold it at a premium (imagine, phone regular price is $600, but get it with apple service for $350.. i buy the phone, lose it on purpose, wink, wink.. get another one for $350, unlock the "previously lost phone" and sell it for $500).
post #35 of 94
How about $300?
post #36 of 94
I believe that MVNO for the US market is a very good way of going as it lets Apple design the mobile the way they want it, not the way an existing carrier wants it. I use Cingular and am stuck with their horrid menu and limited no-cost features.

Apple has the potential of redefining what a mobile phone should be, while remaining within the general GSM environment. For those in the US MVNO gets rid of the locked design and for those overseas with unlocked mobile it provides a great option. I have a mobile for Australian business trips and only have to switch out the chip when I go to the UK. That should be the goal of an Apple iPhone.

The other interesting part is the ability to integrate the iPhone with the Macs (Windows versions would probably be a bit more limited.) Integrate with AddressBook & iCal. Add iLife integration for music & pictures. Throw in Notes, Calculator, etc. Add a camera, but bump up the resolution to a decent level and integrate it with iPhoto.

That ends up almost being an OS X "oriented" device. Might even have a HD if the costs work out in its favor. If this is how the iPhone ends up then it would be very interesting to see how developers come up with add ons, in the same vein as they develop a lot of very interesting freeware and shareware for the Macs.
Ken
Ken
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57

For educational purposes, allow me to quote the prices of high end LOCKED phones so as to give folks an idea (and you bet the ipod phone or whatever you call it will be priced at upper range).

Verizon wireless

Samsung SCH-a990. $349 with discount (with two year agreement) , one year, it's $499.. and no contract and unlocked?.. Arm and leg plus firstborn child.

Cingular
Cingular 8100 (locked) 879.99 - 90 discount (for longer plan) = 789.98

Non-PDA phone (pda's are all in the 700-900 range)
LG-CU500. 379.99 base price (2 year service agreement)
Samsung D807 499.99 (with 2 year agreement)

Any of these phones unlocked from cingular (if they were to offer than option)
Your mother, first born and all future earnings (just kidding).. expensive ok?

Sprintpcs

Non-PDA phones
fusic by Lg . 329

You get the point..

bye bye!!
post #38 of 94
Quote:

$400 unlocked?.. are you for real?.. apple competitive with a 20-25% markup?.. how is that competitive?. if this phone is even less than $400 locked, i'd be shocked. Apple is competitive as a BMW 325i is to a Corolla. Secondly, if this will be an apple service, why would it be unlocked?. What would the purpose of that be?. Why would apple sell you an unlocked phone meant to work with their service?. A better deal would be for apple to sell the phone to carriers and let them subsidize the phone themselves.. How long have you been around apple?.. since when do they subsidize a product (any product) that could then be used on a competitor service (does the ipod work with any other music service?). You are being unrealistic. Apple is in the business of making money, not building products that people can then buy and use with a competitor service. You bet your pretty dollar that the only way you getting an unlocked phone is if someone bought it and then unlocked and resold it at a premium (imagine, phone regular price is $600, but get it with apple service for $350.. i buy the phone, lose it on purpose, wink, wink.. get another one for $350, unlock the "previously lost phone" and sell it for $500).

Why do you exist? Why are you here?

I haven't read a single post of yours that wasn't flamebait.

Fuck off.
post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Why do you exist? Why are you here?

I haven't read a single post of yours that wasn't flamebait.

Fuck off.

funniest reply this year
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #40 of 94
Quote:

cuz my phones generally get thrown around a lot, and in a flip phone the screen is better protected.

That and I feel so snazzy when I flip my phone open

...Non-flip phones generally get more cracked/scratched screens, accidentally dial and are too large to fit small pockets.

If you like non-flip style it's OK by me, but I wouldn't buy it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jobs talks up Apple cell phone