or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Apple preparing for fall product launches

Briefly: Apple preparing for fall product launches

post #1 of 49
It's been less than a week since Apple Computer used its annual developers conference to make several new product announcements, but once again sources are finding themselves encapsulated by the warm fuzzy feeling that typically emerges around the lead-in to major product revelations.

Based on various reports from around the world, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company this week is placing WWDC '06 in the rear-view mirror and shifting gears towards its fall product line refreshes, which are due to start turning up next month.

High-Security Freight Shipments

In particular, the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September.

Although sources were not specific as to what product(s) Apple is planning to move, the timeframe of the shipments coincides nicely with dates in which the Mac maker is believed to be ready to roll with its first Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro notebook systems.

iPod nano Line Nearing End-of-Life

Meanwhile, inventory management systems tied to at least one US-based big-box retailer are reflecting end-of-life notices for Apple's entire iPod nano product line on September 16th. Again, no further details on the subject were readily available.

However, September 16th is the precise date in which Apple's "Free iPod nano" back-to-school promotion is set to expire. This date also coincides with timeframes provided by sources in previous reports pertaining to the expected availability of the company's next-generation iPod nano.

Seagate Boasts of 120GB 1.8-inch Portable Hard Drives

In a tidbit so far unrelated any published reports on Apple's future product plans, Seagate CEO William Watkins recently told BusinessWeek that his company plans to introduce 1.8-inch drives in 60GB and 120GB capacities during the December calendar quarter.

1.8-inch portable hard drives are the same form factor drives used in Apple's current fifth-generation video iPod players. Seagate was previously a major component supplier to Apple during the days of the iPod mini, in which it equipped the company with 4GB, 5GB (capped by software at 4GB), and 6GB microdrives.

However, reading into Seagate's future product plans has not been fail-safe indicator of Apple's own product directions. For instance, in June of last year many believed Seagate's 8GB microdrive would find its way into an iPod mini update. Apple subsequently did away with the microdrive-based iPod mini altogether, introducing the completely NAND flash memory-based iPod nano that September.
post #2 of 49
So should I mark down Sept. 12 (Mac Expo Paris) or Sept. 19th as the intro day for the long over due nano?

Which brings up a new question, will Apple keep the Nano name? Or do away with it like the mini??
post #3 of 49
I thought that I'd say that what seems to be the UK equivalent of the 'Free iPod Nano', '£100 off an iPod', finishes on October 7th.
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent

So should I mark down Sept. 12 (Mac Expo Paris) or Sept. 19th as the intro day for the long over due nano?

Which brings up a new question, will Apple keep the Nano name? Or do away with it like the mini??

September 19 is Tuesday and Tuedays are favorite introduction days.
post #5 of 49
High Security Freight Shipments...

Hopefully one of them has a Conroe iMac in it.
post #6 of 49
Benton,

Are you trying to answer his question?

I think he wanted to know whether the 12th or the 19th is a good day. BOTH are Tuesdays.

Well, the 12th. Expo will certainly release something. It's just that no one knows what it is.

Apple's not going to release something on the 19th if they just did on the 12th. At least a major, headlining product anyway.

Here's my timeframe: (I'm not including details as to what will be 'new' about the product)

Apple Expo Paris (Sept. 12th):

New MacBookPro

New iMac

'New' hardware that was in the pipelines that was never expected

Early October:

Quiet xserve release

Late October:

Apple Special Event releasing new iPods + iTunes updates

MacWorld:

Next Leopard Preview

-=|Mgkwho
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In particular, the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September.

Although sources were not specific as to what product(s) Apple is planning to move, the timeframe of the shipments coincides nicely with dates in which the Mac maker is believed to be ready to roll with its first Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro notebook systems.

Macbook Pros are possible, although I would vote for the next generation iPod Nano / iPod Video as the high-security "massive air-freight shipments from the Far East" - those things are going to sell like hotcakes. Apple's huge price drop for "refurbished" iPods, in my opinion, is a red flag for a new generation. A Merom-based Macbook Pro will sell well, but massive shipments??? Of course, a redesigned Macbook Pro is a different story...
post #8 of 49
I just love the phrase massive shipments... it sounds so... so.... satisfying.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowX

A Merom-based Macbook Pro will sell well, but massive shipments???

Yes. The demand for Mac Books and Mac Book Pro models will be so high from my research that I don't think Apple will be able to keep up with quarterly demand at the end of the year. They need MASSIVE shipments.
post #10 of 49
massive secret shipments? ..... yes, you know it... iWalk!!!! or better yet Pippin 360!!
post #11 of 49
McHuman
"The demand for Mac Books and Mac Book Pro models will be so high from my research that I don't think Apple will be able to keep up with quarterly demand at the end of the year. They need MASSIVE shipments. "

McHuman Could you clarify/elaborate. "Your research". Please share. I'm intrigued.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
Make it idiotproof and they'll just make a
better idiot.
post #12 of 49
I read: "the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States" and pictured C-130s with People's Liberation Army markings. Additonal images of boxes with parachutes being shoved out the back.
post #13 of 49
Sweeet...I was gonna buy a MBP but now im going to wait it out. Now i just have to decide between glossy or matte. I spent 30 mins in the store comparing them but still cannot make up my mind...
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdude0507

Sweeet...I was gonna buy a MBP but now im going to wait it out. Now i just have to decide between glossy or matte. I spent 30 mins in the store comparing them but still cannot make up my mind...

Go with glossy if you don't plan to use outside. My wife has the glossy MB, and I love using it sometimes just for the screen, even though I have a MBP.
post #15 of 49
I am hoping for an iMac update in the Massive Shipments...

Though I would guess that the iPods are more likely the bulk of the air shipment candidates.

re. the comment on MacBook Pro screens, "glossy or matte" --

I have tried them in the Apple store, found the glare reflections coming off the glossy screen way too visible and DISTRACTING (IMO). My thought: WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING? Seriously, i could not buy a glossy screen as it would drive me buggy. At least on the MBPro model you have the option of BTO no-gloss-matte screen. MBook are stuck with gloss-glare.

(Anyone remember when anti-glare was the new design edge for all new monitors and only old stuff was the glare reflecting kind?)

My suggestion for the name of this new step-backwards screen is:

MacBook Mirrored Screen (TM).

with the selling talk point: "Now you can check your hair and makeup right from the MacBook Mirrored Screen (TM) before activating the iChat iSight camera! No more rushing off to the restroom to use a mirror -- Now it's Built-In! "

ok, enough on that.........
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
post #16 of 49
OMG. Has it been almost a whole year since the nano came out without a single refresh?
As I remember, last year Apple did the back-to-school promo with a free iPod mini and half way through they released the nano. Unfortunately that promo wouldnt allow money off the nano, only the mini. I'm about to buy my 1st ever brand new Mac, as in a Macbook (previously owned 3 2nd hand iMacs & eMate) and have a feeling that as soon as I do there'll be a faster, cooler running, matte screen one out the next week.
Thats usually my luck.
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho

Benton,

Are you trying to answer his question?

I think he wanted to know whether the 12th or the 19th is a good day. BOTH are Tuesdays.

Well, the 12th. Expo will certainly release something. It's just that no one knows what it is.

Apple's not going to release something on the 19th if they just did on the 12th. At least a major, headlining product anyway.

Here's my timeframe: (I'm not including details as to what will be 'new' about the product)

Apple Expo Paris (Sept. 12th):

New MacBookPro

New iMac

Early October:

Quiet xserve release

Late October:

Apple Special Event releasing new iPods + iTunes updates

MacWorld:

Next Leopard Preview

-=|Mgkwho

I agree completely with the exception to the "new" hardware stuff. The only thing I could see is the iPhone, maybe. Then again, I guess that's why you said "'New' hardware that was in the pipelines that was never expected." I would bet my first born son that the date of release for new iPod+iTunes will be in October.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #18 of 49
let's hope they put an nVidia or Ati card inside the mini, or lower prices for the macbook pro, for Pete' sakes!
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdude0507

I would go for the matte display. My mum decided not to listen to me and decided to buy a non apple notebook. It has a glossy display and when using it outside in the sun its really difficult to see whats on the screen.

I really want a mb the size is great for me but it doesn't have a matte option for the screen so I have to save for a mbp.
How is a raven like a writers desk?
How is a raven like a writers desk?
post #20 of 49
I really wanted to get a MB or MBP for all of my travel in the next couple of weeks. Of course I am not dumb enough to buy a Mac this close to Paris.

Is it good that Apple is really waiting for Paris though? There aren't expos year-round. Intel updates chips all the time (apparently). I'm not sure it is great to sit on a Core 2 Duo refresh to the MBP for an additional month while other companies are already announcing/releasing theirs.

I don't know... Not sure they will wait so long. I can see a refresh in the next couple of Tuesdays. Just leaves more Paris time for cool new stuff
post #21 of 49
I wonder if the new Meron based MBP's will have a new case? Seems like it might be the time to do it.

- Mark
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thataboy

I really wanted to get a MB or MBP for all of my travel in the next couple of weeks. Of course I am not dumb enough to buy a Mac this close to Paris.

Is it good that Apple is really waiting for Paris though? There aren't expos year-round. Intel updates chips all the time (apparently). I'm not sure it is great to sit on a Core 2 Duo refresh to the MBP for an additional month while other companies are already announcing/releasing theirs.

I don't know... Not sure they will wait so long. I can see a refresh in the next couple of Tuesdays. Just leaves more Paris time for cool new stuff

Asssuming that availability of Merom is good, I agree with you: waiting to release MeromBPs doesn't make sense. But if it's a new enclosure with new features that Apple will announce (as TS has predicted, IIRC, although I don't put much stock in their claims anymore), then it'll probably wait for an expo or a "special event."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

Asssuming that availability of Merom is good, I agree with you: waiting to release MeromBPs doesn't make sense. But if it's a new enclosure with new features that Apple will announce (as TS has predicted, IIRC, although I don't put much stock in their claims anymore), then it'll probably wait for an expo or a "special event."

I think it's all a stock issue, like you mentioned. When Intel announced the Core 2 Duo chips I think they jumped the gun a bit. From reports on the internet the Conroe chip was shipping, but in very short supply. That's probably why we haven't seen it storm into the market like when Yonah was announced. They also announced Merom but said that it wouldn't be shipping until "the end of the month." Now, if that means August 31ish and the do the same short supply, then Paris makes sense for the MacBook Pros. My question is the iMac though. If the iMac goes Conroe waiting till Paris seems like waiting for the sake of waiting.
post #24 of 49
My 4G iPod's harddrive took a dump, so here's to hoping for a full-screen video iPod.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #25 of 49
So when is a Mac mini speed bump expected? I'm advising someone on buying one and I don't want to have him pissed off by buying just before a refresh.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

So when is a Mac mini speed bump expected? I'm advising someone on buying one and I don't want to have him pissed off by buying just before a refresh.

Think the most the Mac mini would see is Merom that are faster then what it had but not fast enough to toast an iMac and Intel's new onboard video. Nothing special. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA

Ohhh! Maybe its those headless Macs that everyone has wanted forever? New Cube? Hahaha
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey

I would go for the matte display. My mum decided not to listen to me and decided to buy a non apple notebook. It has a glossy display and when using it outside in the sun its really difficult to see whats on the screen.

I really want a mb the size is great for me but it doesn't have a matte option for the screen so I have to save for a mbp.

My sis has an iBook 1Ghz (matte display) and its still impossible to see whats on the screen on a sunny day so I dunno if the glossy outside will make much of a difference.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu

My question is the iMac though. If the iMac goes Conroe waiting till Paris seems like waiting for the sake of waiting.

I am a little confused, i thought that the conroe was better than the memrom, so if the iMac does get Conroe over Memrom then surely that is a good thing. Even if the iMac does only get a Memrom then it is still an improvement over the Yonah as there will propbably be a speed increase as well. I read recently over at Ars that the Memrom wasnt that big an increase over the Yonah clock for clock but i think we will likely see at least 2 ghz across the board, if not 2.16 ghz with the top end going 2.33ghz.

Oh and i am waiting for an upgrade from a first gen iMac G5 which is very bad to say the least, many many problems with the power supply / screen / logic board x 3 / fans (they are so loud). So the improvment will seem like a big jump for me and i will be able to Aperture cos at only £89.30 edu pricing it is a bargain.
post #29 of 49
Very true. The advantage of glossy screens is deeper colour saturation, to, making non-outside viewing a greater pleasure. I have a TiBook w/ matte screen, and outside, you can't see the screen at all. Ambient light washes it out.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

If they really want it soon, get one now because you can always pop in a Merom with next to no hassle once they're out for retail. I plan on doing this to my folks' Core Solo Mac mini (cheap buggers that they are!) once it has been confirmed to work, which according to sources with pre-production Meroms: it does.

If they have a bit of patience, then wait and see what Paris brings. Don't bother waiting forever though. The Mac mini is going to be kept behind the iMac you can be sure. The iMac is the one really worth waiting for, as Conroe is sweeeet.
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt

I wonder if the new Meron based MBP's will have a new case? Seems like it might be the time to do it.

- Mark

I got burned on my predictions for a new case for the Mac Pro at WWDC. Ditto the iMac at MWSF. The MacBook is the only odd one out this year, otherwise they've all been staying as close to the PPC models in looks as possible. I expect the trend to continue until next MacWorld. But then I have been known to be wrong.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by xUKHCx

I am a little confused, i thought that the conroe was better than the memrom, so if the iMac does get Conroe over Memrom then surely that is a good thing.

Oh yeah, it would surly be a good thing. What I meant was that if the iMac goes Conroe then waiting to announce it in Paris would be waiting for the sake of waiting since Conroe supplies should be pretty good by then.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Oh yeah, it would surly be a good thing. What I meant was that if the iMac goes Conroe then waiting to announce it in Paris would be waiting for the sake of waiting since Conroe supplies should be pretty good by then.

Ok now i gets ya, obviously thought you meant that there was little point in waiting to get a conroe iMac over a Yonah one. Totally agree with you, im hoping the release one next week or the week after.
post #34 of 49
Do we even know if the Nano line will be refreshed? Maybe End-of-Life literally means that? I'm kind of hoping that it will be replaced with an iPhone or something.
post #35 of 49
i've never had a notebook computer with a glossy screen, but i have had 4 notebooks with matte screens and they look horrible outside. you can't see at all.

then again i've had cellphones with glossy and matte(touchscreens) screens and they look bad also.

this is also true with digital cameras and videocams. i guess that my overall impression is that all electronic devices with screens of any kind just look bad when you are outdoors, under the sunlight.

my advice is: except you are a very outdoors-y person (you compute outdoors more than 50% of the time), get the screen that looks best when INDOORS or the one you simply like better for INDOORS use.
post #36 of 49
I'm just hoping for a machine thats what a conroe iMac's level would be around, that doesnt have a stupid freaking built in Monitor.... I really dont get Apple always wanting to force a certain group of their customers to buy a new screen all the time. I've never bought an iMac, and though Id love it in many ways, I never will until it doesnt have a screen built in. the Mac mini isnt good enough, and the Mac Pro is major overkill and too exepnsive because of it.... Ill just have to stick to apple for a portable and keep my Linux desktops i guess.
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

I got burned on my predictions for a new case for the Mac Pro at WWDC. Ditto the iMac at MWSF. The MacBook is the only odd one out this year, otherwise they've all been staying as close to the PPC models in looks as possible. I expect the trend to continue until next MacWorld. But then I have been known to be wrong.

Well, after reading your past successful predictions above, I now expect new looks shortly :-)

Seriously though... Apple had to make things look like nothing was changing. It made the whole Intel switch feel just that little bit smoother. New buyers see the clear link to the past. Recent PPC buyers don't feel like they've been left too far behind. Of course, it's all only appearances.

That said... they've cleanly made the switch. All bets are off for new machine look-and-feel.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander

Well, after reading your past successful predictions above, I now expect new looks shortly :-)

Seriously though... Apple had to make things look like nothing was changing. It made the whole Intel switch feel just that little bit smoother. New buyers see the clear link to the past. Recent PPC buyers don't feel like they've been left too far behind. Of course, it's all only appearances.

That said... they've cleanly made the switch. All bets are off for new machine look-and-feel.

I think the iMac might get a redesign by/at Paris. My only basis for this thought (not that it needs it really) is that Paris will be two years since the introduciton of the G5 iMac which was introduced about two years after the G4 iMac. Like I said, it's not really needed, but I think it's possible -- especially with a move to the Core 2 Duo chipset.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcloki

McHuman
"The demand for Mac Books and Mac Book Pro models will be so high from my research that I don't think Apple will be able to keep up with quarterly demand at the end of the year. They need MASSIVE shipments. "

McHuman Could you clarify/elaborate. "Your research". Please share. I'm intrigued.

Dripping with sarcasm... I love it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #40 of 49
I'm getting ready to buy 2 MacBooks for my girls, so I'm hoping to see all Apple laptops
upgraded to Merom processors. Soon!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Briefly: Apple preparing for fall product launches