or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Milton Keynes, why isnt it a city?

Milton Keynes, why isnt it a city?

post #1 of 48
i was just thinking, why is milton keynes still a town, and not a city, i mean, it has double the population of oxford, and thats a city. sorry, realy random, but still, i need answers...
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #2 of 48
to be a city, don't you have to have a cathedral?
post #3 of 48
Are you serious or only joking? If serious, it must be a European thing.
Cat: the other white meat
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel

im pretty sure, but not 100% - you have to have a cathedral to get 'city' status in England
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK

im pretty sure, but not 100% - you have to have a cathedral to get 'city' status in England

ah rite, cheers
post #6 of 48
Quote:

well if you think, there are lamp posts older than the United States has been a country, so i spose that rule doesnt realy aply over the pond
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham

well if you think, there are lamp posts older than the United States has been a country, so i spose that rule doesnt realy aply over the pond

yeah, our lamp posts have more culture than that country across the pond.
post #8 of 48
Quote:

i concur!!!
post #9 of 48
Quote:

And yet you still haven't come up with any decent food.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall

is that Chirac?
post #11 of 48
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City#United_Kingdom
Quote:
In the United Kingdom, a city is a town which has been known as a city since time immemorial, or which has received city status by letters patent — which is normally granted on the basis of size, importance or royal connection (traditional pointers have been whether the town has a cathedral or a university).

So no, a cathedral is not required.
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City#United_Kingdom

So no, a cathedral is not required.

nor is a lamp post.
post #13 of 48
Quote:

nor is a lamp post.

nor are intelligent people.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous

nor are intelligent people.

nor a sense of humour
post #15 of 48
Quote:

As opposed to McDonald's and Wendy's? Yeah, really.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #16 of 48
Quote:

Thus, the reason for the United States.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 48
For the record, I appreciated the comment about lamp posts. Until recently , there were some long-idle English laws that when perpetrated, promised deportation to the penal colony of Australia. Your country is old.

Our country is kind of like a 18th century start-from-scratch attempt at building a new UK. Whatever culture we lack, I blame on the parents.
post #18 of 48
Quote:

nor a sense of humour

Too bad, that humor thing must come with the intelligence thing.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Clean

As opposed to McDonald's and Wendy's? Yeah, really.

Was just joking, but really who doesn't enjoy a spicy chicken or a McGriddle now and again.
post #20 of 48
Quote:

Was just joking, but really who doesn't enjoy a spicy chicken or a McGriddle now and again.

I love them chicken tenders they have... whatever they're called - they come in a 3, 5 and 10 pieces. With some spicy buffalo sauce... mmm....
post #21 of 48
Milton Keynes isn't a city because it sucks.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous

Too bad, that humor thing must come with the intelligence thing.

with a coating of good food too. Hmm, what your national dish? French Fries - Hamburgers?
post #23 of 48
Quote:

with a coating of good food too. Hmm, what your national dish? French Fries - Hamburgers?

Meat pies came from France. I guess this is fitting since so did England.
post #24 of 48
Quote:

Meat pies came from France. I guess this is fitting since so did England.

And who was it who you 'needed' to kick the English out of 'merica?.
post #25 of 48
Quote:

The Welsh?
post #26 of 48
Quote:

I don't think the frogs had much impact on the course of that war, nor have they in most wars. We liberated their behinds in 1945, so I guess that's recompense for whatever troops they sent to us back then, and for your effort recompense for the pie that they gave to you.

Just for the record. . .

There's a certain (bad) Mel Gibson movie called "The Patriot." I don't plan on explaining why the two lead roles (revolutionary Americans) were played by Australians, but I will mention that there's a particularly amusing three-minute hatchet battle in the early part of the movie. For this reason I would doubt that "The Patriot" is readily available in the UK, however, I am curious how English folks would react to it if they saw it. I would guess not well, but I had to ask.
post #27 of 48
Quote:

I don't think the frogs had much impact on the course of that war, nor have they in most wars. We liberated their behinds in 1945, so I guess that's recompense for whatever troops they sent to us back then, and for your effort recompense for the pie that they gave to you.

Just for the record. . .

There's a certain (bad) Mel Gibson movie called "The Patriot." I don't plan on explaining why the two lead roles (revolutionary Americans) were played by Australians, but I will mention that there's a particularly amusing three-minute hatchet battle in the early part of the movie. For this reason I would doubt that "The Patriot" is readily available in the UK, however, I am curious how English folks would react to it if they saw it. I would guess not well, but I had to ask.

Humour me, how do these 3 minutes go.?

And for the record I'd rather have a good steak and kidney pie, than a piece of fried reposessed chicken bowel. And i like the French too.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius

The Welsh?

yup, flew across the channel on their dragon, and dropped mutant leeks on the English.
post #29 of 48
Quote:

Humour me, how do these 3 minutes go.?

And for the record I'd rather have a good steak and kidney pie, than a piece of fried reposessed chicken bowel. And i like the French too.

Nothing wrong with pies. . . I wish immensely that they were common in the US.

Onto the hatchet scene: I think the set up is that some mean, English officer killed Mel Gibson's kid. So in a fit of rage Mel grabs a hatchet and treks out to intercept a hapless, English supply wagon. Three minutes later, the hatchet is very bloody. In the amount of writing I wish to do (which isn't too much) can't really do justice to the details of the hatchet combat, since it is actually quite impressive. If you ever manage to watch "The Patriot," just shut it off after the hatchet scene, because the rest is crap.
post #30 of 48
Quote:

Nothing wrong with pies. . . I wish immensely that they were common in the US.

Onto the hatchet scene: I think the set up is that some mean, English officer killed Mel Gibson's kid. So in a fit of rage Mel grabs a hatchet and treks out to intercept a hapless, English supply wagon. Three minutes later, the hatchet is very bloody. In the amount of writing I wish to do (which isn't too much) can't really do justice to the details of the hatchet combat, since it is actually quite impressive. If you ever manage to watch "The Patriot," just shut it off after the hatchet scene, because the rest is crap.

The kids with the guns is swweeeet, too. (right before the hatchet scene)
post #31 of 48
Quote:

I don't think the frogs had much impact on the course of [the Revolutionary] war, nor have they in most wars.

Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #32 of 48
What comes to mind when I think of Milton Keynes? A DFS superstore. Milton Keynes is BORING!

By the way we English can cook the arses off you Americans. :P Although I can't live without my Big Mac. Or Quizno's sub.

@ Americans: totally random question, but do you have Pret a Mangers in the US?
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_naylor

@ Americans: totally random question, but do you have Pret a Mangers in the US?

Not that I'm aware of, and it's a damned shame. Nor do we have Tesco.
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter

Not that I'm aware of, and it's a damned shame. Nor do we have Tesco.

Not for long (regarding Tesco) if you live in the West:

http://www.tescocorporate.com/page.a...7765AC8DBE49EB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco#United States

I heart Tesco lol.
post #35 of 48
Quote:

Yeah-- didn't the french, among other things, win some naval battle that choked off supplies for the british near the end of the war?
post #36 of 48
Quote:

Not for long (regarding Tesco) if you live in the West:

http://www.tescocorporate.com/page.a...7765AC8DBE49EB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco#United States

I heart Tesco lol.

I may have to move to California.
post #37 of 48
Quote:

I may have to move to California.

Are you an expat? Or do ya jus love Tesco food?
post #38 of 48
thort this thread was dead...
post #39 of 48
Quote:

By the way we English can cook the arses off you Americans.

Is that why English cooking tastes like ass?
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #40 of 48
Quote:

Are you an expat? Or do ya jus love Tesco food?

Nah. I just think mid-sized grocery stores like that should be all over America.

But Tesco does sell this cheapie ham and cheese sandwich on wheat that's wonderful.....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Milton Keynes, why isnt it a city?