or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries

Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries

post #1 of 64
Apple Computer on Thursday recalled 1.8 million notebook batteries used in its previous generation iBook and PowerBook G4 notebooks because they pose a fire hazard.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company said it has received nine reports of batteries overheating, including two reports of minor burns. While there have been some reports of minor property damage, Apple said no serious injuries have been reported.

The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries include cells manufactured by Sony and were sold with the company's 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4 notebooks between October 2003 and August 2006.

Apple's recall comes just weeks after Dell said it was recalling 4.1 million of its own notebook batteries, which similarly featured cells built by Sony.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Apple's recall covers 1.1 million battery packs sold in the United States and some 700,000 additional units sold abroad. The batteries were manufactured in Japan, Taiwan and China.

"Consumers should stop using the recalled batteries immediately and contact Apple to arrange for a replacement battery, free of charge," Apple said. "After removing the recalled battery from their iBook or PowerBook, consumers should plug in the AC adapter to power the computer until a replacement battery arrives."

Affected customers can contact Apple at (800) 275-2273 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. CT Monday through Sunday or log on to Apple’s Web site to check the battery’s serial number and request a replacement battery.

In a separate announcement on Thursday, the CPSC said batteries being sold with Apple's current line of 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks have been cleared and do not pose any risks to customers.

Sony is estimating the overall cost in supporting Apple and Dell's battery recall program at 20 billion yen to 30 billion yen, or $172.1 million to $258.1 million.
post #2 of 64
My battery serial is just before the target range and part of me wishes that they were liberal in the ones recalled. But then again, one could send back a perfectly good battery for a dud. Prickly.
post #3 of 64
There is a discrepancy between the 12 Inch iBook G4 battery serial number ranges given by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and the ones given by Apple...

CPSC lists a range of 6C510 through 6C626
Apple lists a range of 6C519 through 6C552
post #4 of 64
I'd hate to be a Sony stockholder.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 64
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that October 03 was when the 1 Ghz 12" came out? In any event, I bought my 12" in September, so I guess I wouldn't have been covered even if I still had my OEM battery.
post #6 of 64
I wonder why the 14" iBook batteries aren't being recalled.
post #7 of 64
My old PowerBook which belongs to my mom is officially under the recall. 3K516 model.
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

My old PowerBook which belongs to my mom is officially under the recall. 3K516 model.

Awesome! Tell her I said hi!
post #9 of 64
Oneof
post #10 of 64
One of my two batteries for my 15" PowerBook G4 falls under the recall, so I'm going to send it back. The only problem is, I can't get at the web site at Apple. It just keeps telling me it failed to load because it cannot establish a secure connection!

Is their site just swamped, or is this some other issue? Can anyone else get to it?
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

ROTFLMAO!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuchter

One of my two batteries for my 15" PowerBook G4 falls under the recall, so I'm going to send it back. The only problem is, I can't get at the web site at Apple. It just keeps telling me it failed to load because it cannot establish a secure connection!

Is their site just swamped, or is this some other issue? Can anyone else get to it?

Try again later this evening. Thank you for participating. Have a nice day.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 64
i've got a recalled battery now too. this seems to basically extend their previous recall to include also the first 1ghz ibooks manufactured from march 2004 (+ some powerbooks). FYI my 12" was bought in august '04 as a refurb, battery serial ZZ419
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbrain

I wonder why the 14" iBook batteries aren't being recalled.

Because they are different models?
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Because they are different models?

I would assume that there's nothing different between the batteries in the 12" iBook and the 14" iBook. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they got a different company to manufacture them.
post #16 of 64
Quote:

I would assume that there's nothing different between the batteries in the 12" iBook and the 14" iBook. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they got a different company to manufacture them.

They're different.
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

They're different.

Yes, but different how? The only noticeable difference is the size of the battery between the two models.
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

You deserve to be PROUD of that fact.
post #19 of 64
Quote:

Yes, but different how? The only noticeable difference is the size of the battery between the two models.

Just the fact that the sizes (and probably charge capacities) are different could mean that they are from different production lines, different factories or manufacturers.
post #20 of 64
Incidents/Injuries: Apple has received nine reports of batteries overheating, including two reports of minor burns from handling overheated computers and other reports of minor property damage. No serious injuries were reported.

Trust sony to burn Apples customers and blow up their macs (as well as Dells)!

I'm affected! So now thanks to sony I have a bomb in my house!
I like me.

Mac Pro Xeon (Late 2006, Quad 2.66, 2GB RAM, G7300GT, Dell 24" 2405FPW)

MacBook C2D (Late 2006, Dual 2.0, 1GB RAM, GMA950, 13", Black)

iPad 3G 32GB, iPhone 4 16GB
I like me.

post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

That's FUNNY!!!

Ace!
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #22 of 64
I sure hope my PowerBook falls under the recal.

God I need a new battery.

Can't wait to get home and check
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofreak85

I sure hope my PowerBook falls under the recal.

God I need a new battery.

Can't wait to get home and check

If its not blown up yet!
I like me.

I like me.

post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose

If its not blown up yet!

hmmm, I left if on the couch... so does that mean if it blows up I get a new couch too?

Thank god I did a full backup last night...
post #25 of 64
Quote:

Also N.B. it's not all the 12" iBook batteries, I've got 2 and they don't have those magic numbers.
post #26 of 64
sony probably never made any batts for the 14"
I like me.

I like me.

post #27 of 64
I'm really curious to see if mine's involved. One more hour.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #28 of 64
Quote:

hmmm, I left if on the couch... so does that mean if it blows up I get a new couch too?

If you read the fine print, you'll see this: "...not responsible for blow'd up couches..."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 64
doh... at least one of my batteries is involved.
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
post #30 of 64
I just tried to apply for the replacement online, and even though my battery does fall within the affected range, the online form says its not a valid number. I called Apple about it. They told me that the online form is wrong. They are experiencing technical difficulties with the servers (probably too much traffic). They asked me to try again later they werent able to do it over the phone. If youre having trouble with the form, dont bother calling Apple just yet try the form again later tonight or tomorrow.
post #31 of 64

I think my 867Mhz Tibook may be in this recall? I'm at work now so I can't check the serial # but I purchased it late 2003???

Of course I finally bought a new battery this morning after procrastinating for months..\

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
post #32 of 64
The recall, as far as I can tell, only affects Aluminum PowerBooks, not Titanium ones.
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisuremonkey

I just tried to apply for the replacement online, and even though my battery does fall within the affected range, the online form says its not a valid number. I called Apple about it. They told me that the online form is wrong. They are experiencing technical difficulties with the servers (probably too much traffic). They asked me to try again later they werent able to do it over the phone. If youre having trouble with the form, dont bother calling Apple just yet try the form again later tonight or tomorrow.

I called them because I wasn't able to get through on the website. The guy typed in my information and it too said I wasn't elligible even though my battery met all the criteria. He was able to override the system and order me a replacement battery through the exchange program.
post #34 of 64
Mine's not affected.
post #35 of 64
Ugh. My 12" PBG4 batt. is ZZ427...just below the beginning of the recall at ZZ428. I may call and see how lenient they are. This is my fucking third dead battery from them. It's been dead for months. Like a few months after I bought this thing the battery died, then I got a new one, and it died after a few months, then again with a THIRD one. Apple has shitty batteries. Always has. Why don't they pick a company that can actually make a battery that doesn't suck ass.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #36 of 64
Quote:

Nope: just a love-seat, the cost of the third cusion is eaten up in legal fees.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic

Ugh. My 12" PBG4 batt. is ZZ427...just below the beginning of the recall at ZZ428. I may call and see how lenient they are. This is my fucking third dead battery from them. It's been dead for months. Like a few months after I bought this thing the battery died, then I got a new one, and it died after a few months, then again with a THIRD one. Apple has shitty batteries. Always has. Why don't they pick a company that can actually make a battery that doesn't suck ass.

Why don't you try and learn how to calibrate?
post #38 of 64
I typed in my serial number and my computer clears, but my battery does not and it is within the range (it is a 12" PB G4 w/ battery serial number 3K5203). What is up, is the site not working just yet.
post #39 of 64
Why is nobody commenting that this is yet another battery recall by Apple. Sure they use Sony batts, but the headline on CNN reads Apple recalls ....

How many batt recalls are they going to face? My PB had its batt recalled once, now again I qualify..for the replacement batt, and the same machine had two replacement power bricks. Why can they not get this right?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #40 of 64
Chucker thanks for calling me a retard. I am like a calibration expert by now. I probably know more about it than you. Apple's batteries Suck™. On the other hand, my ORIGINAL iPod battery still works great. Granted I haven't used it much in a year or two but still.. wow!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries