or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac mini shortage suggests product changes

Mac mini shortage suggests product changes

post #1 of 141
Apple Computer is once again denying resellers and large partners the ability to place bulk orders for its petite Mac mini desktop computers, often an indicator that new models are on the horizon.

A blogger who works for a colocation firm recently tried to order "a bunch" of the computers to use as Mac mini servers but was turned down. "I was told by the reseller (name withdrawn so they don’t get in trouble) that they can’t take big orders," the blogger wrote, "but after Labor Day they’d be able to ship plenty of the new model."

The same blogger in February reported on a similar instance in which he was unable to obtain a large order of Apple's then PowerPC-based Mac minis. Within days of the report, Apple introduced its Intel-based Mac mini line.

Bolstering the blogger's latest report is independent confirmation from a well-placed AppleInsider source who claims that Apple's refusal to fill large orders is worldwide. Mac mini availability is expected to improve within two weeks time when new shipments begin, the source said.

Both reports insinuate that Apple is gearing up for post-Labor Day product introductions.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider reported that Apple had begun preparations for its fall product launches. Specifically, it was reported that the Mac maker was preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that were due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September -- the day after Labor Day.

Also by next month, the Cupertino, Calif-based company is expected to update its MacBook Pro notebooks with Intel's latest Core 2 Duo processors.
post #2 of 141
although nothing was mentioned about the imac in this article i can only assume that its release wont be far off if not at the same time.
post #3 of 141
Excellent news. I've been wanting to get a new mini and had decided I'd wait till Apple updated the line. I figured it'd be a couple of months, but it sounds like it'll be sooner. I'm expecting no major changes except it probably getting the Core 2 Duo. Probably not even a change to the motherboard. A faster hard drive would be a welcome addition though.
post #4 of 141
Yeah, it's got to be C2D related which is only good news for all the other lines as well. Core 2 Duo's for everyone!
post #5 of 141
you never know, they could be working on making it more of a comprehensive entertainment solution. (e.g. uncover the iPod dock on top, or add TV support). Not that I think there's really any chance of this, but hey, why not feed the rumor fire, especially with fuel being so scarce these days.
post #6 of 141
would be nice if the mini is Core 2 Duo, and at least the 965 chipset with the GMA3000 video. id rather have a low-mid ATI or nvidia card, but the GMA3000 is much better then the current GMA950s
post #7 of 141
Any speculation on processor speed? I guess I am glad I did not order the Mac mini yesterday

A cut in price would also be a nice addition but I doubt that will happen.
post #8 of 141
<Dons flame retardant Merlin Robes and the pointy Predicto!!! Hat>

Predicto Sayeth that we will see a mobile counterpart to the Mini featuring a touchscreen/pen hybrid display along with updates to the existing product line!
Predicto hath spoken!!!

<Dives for the bomb shelter!>
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #9 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn

<Dons flame retardant Merlin Robes and the pointy Predicto!!! Hat>

Predicto Sayeth that we will see a mobile counterpart to the Mini featuring a touchscreen/pen hybrid display along with updates to the existing product line!
Predicto hath spoken!!!

<Dives for the bomb shelter!>

Hey, wishing never hurt anybody. Well, except of course when your wish is for someone to get hurt, and then you hurt them.
post #10 of 141
Excellent. I was asking about this here only days ago. This report should spare me embarrassment since I'm helping a switcher pick a new mini and I didn't want them to get one just before a refresh. I'll just tell them to wait a few more days.
post #11 of 141
Sucks no word on the iMac. I am freekn dieing to place my order fora C2D iMac 23".

8)
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #12 of 141
With Apple's own Cinema Displays costing less these days, I wonder if Apple will drop the price of the 17" iMac to $1000 and drop the 20" iMac to $1299 and may be have a bigger one at the top end. LCDs are coming down in price like crazy. I wish they would put a TV tuner in it also and incorporate eyeTV features into Front Row. The latest eyeTV hybrid (USB 2.0 based) looks very tempting.
post #13 of 141
I really hope the rumours are true and that the next revision will allow you to open it up to change the RAM and the hard drive. If Apple delivers such a box, the company I work for is ready to buy two hundred of them to replace Windows boxes. They love the current mini I have setup for testing, but are apprehensive about the closed-box void-the-warranty-if-opened nature.

Being able to change the hard drive is key for data retention purposes should employees be terminated. The RAM is a nice-to-have.
post #14 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

I really hope the rumours are true and that the next revision will allow you to open it up to change the RAM and the hard drive. If Apple delivers such a box, the company I work for is ready to buy two hundred of them to replace Windows boxes. They love the current mini I have setup for testing, but are apprehensive about the closed-box void-the-warranty-if-opened nature.

Being able to change the hard drive is key for data retention purposes should employees be terminated. The RAM is a nice-to-have.

Will it void the warranty on a mini? I did it on mine and it seemed so simple that is shocking news.

Ouch!
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #15 of 141
Quote:

? why not just take the whole mini? Does your company get some sort of sick pleasure in seeing about-to-be-canned employees come in in the morning, fire up their macs, and then go into a cold sweat when they see the flashing HD symbol???

J/K.
post #16 of 141
You've worked for us, haven't you?

Seriously, from an I.T. perspective, replacing a hard drive is cheaper than replacing the entire computer and stockpiling it somewhere.

Remember, no I.T. department runs without being under the thumb of Finance.
post #17 of 141
Quote:

You've worked for us, haven't you?

Seriously, from an I.T. perspective, replacing a hard drive is cheaper than replacing the entire computer and stockpiling it somewhere.

Remember, no I.T. department runs without being under the thumb of Finance.

Ahhh, I was thinking you meant retention in the sense of "Dude, Jack just walked off with his computer!!! Stick it to em, Jack!!!"

But another suggestion: DAT, den wipe!

I am familiar with this type of company though, I think. Or its philosophy anyway. I got Pfizered.
post #18 of 141
Nowadays, some attorneys want the original hard drive in order to recover the data that might have been there before it was deleted by a disgruntle. We've had to pay over a thousand bucks a hard drive in discoveries to those data recovery shops whenever we get into a "situation."

I just hate the idea of a perfectly good computer sitting on a shelf, but can live with a hard drive no longer being used.
post #19 of 141
I guess the day that they start loading up computers with non-volatile RAM will make warehousing the actual box justified. And then, of course, they will want the computer in a sealed box, lest the RAM be tampered with.
post #20 of 141
Getting inside the mini by itself won't void the warranty. The obvious exception being that if you do break something or something is broken by what you installed, then that damage isn't covered by the warranty. If you are in the US and any service tech gives you any stress about that, go over the Magnuson-Moss warranty act with them.
post #21 of 141
How about someone try to place a huge order for MacBook Pros and see what happens.
post #22 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhaler

How about someone try to place a huge order for MacBook Pros and see what happens.

All someone has to do is call up and go "I noticed that Mac mini's are not available for bulk, but what about the iMac?" or any other product line they want to check up on. If they say yes, just cover it up like you know nothing and ask for a quote for a large quantity for the product.
post #23 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhaler

Someone on AppleNova said their MBP order has been delayed a week. When he called in they said they were waiting on a shipment to the country...
post #24 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Someone on AppleNova said their MBP order has been delayed a week. When he called in they said they were waiting on a shipment to the country...

they should put a pci-e x16 slot in there.
post #25 of 141
oooooohhhh, exciting news!! So, looks like the Sept 5. people were right. (Congrats mr. Predicto!!! Hat). Here's hoping for a Conroe iMac. If not, then I'll consider a mini instead if the upgrade makes it a good deal.
post #26 of 141
I hope the $599 model gets the core duo and the $799 model gets the core 2 duo. And I hope both get a TV turner built in.
post #27 of 141
As an aside, do Minis really make good servers?

I've seen a number of these reports about them being used at colocation companies, but I've never seen a business use one in real life to manage files and email for a number of employees.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #28 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi

I hope the $599 model gets the core duo and the $799 model gets the core 2 duo. And I hope both get a TV turner built in.

I'm with you on that: Apple should just by El Gato. Now, I know it's too early to be thinking this, but what about Blu-Ray down the road? With the Sony PS3 being $499, if Apple really wanted to get into the living room, maybe they could take advantage of the economies of scale that will quickly come with the PS3's high production of Blu-Ray (perhaps by Spring 07) so that they could include Blu-Ray drives within the current pricing structure (although they would have to give up some margin to penetrae the market effectively).
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #29 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe

Excellent news. I've been wanting to get a new mini and had decided I'd wait till Apple updated the line. I figured it'd be a couple of months, but it sounds like it'll be sooner. I'm expecting no major changes except it probably getting the Core 2 Duo. Probably not even a change to the motherboard. A faster hard drive would be a welcome addition though.

considering that not even the macbook pro hasn't gotten the Core2Duo, i don't think the mini will...maybe just a 1.83 or 2 GHz dual core
post #30 of 141
No matter what hasppens, it's still good news, if true. as long as the price doesn't go up again, unless it has many more features, it will become more useful. Hopefully the sales will pick up.
post #31 of 141
Why not just build a TV tuner into a DVD-size package and electronically duplicate the DVD surface for the laser to read? Turn ever DVD player into an HD-TV tuner. Nice.

Ross C. "Bubba" Nicholson
post #32 of 141
What I would like to see Apple have, is a separate unit, like the models made by other companies, that fits under the Mini, and attaches to it with some special connector, that has the tuner, and LCD display panel, an additional HD, remote, and whatever else is required to turn the Mini into a total audio/video control center.

People could buy the Mini now, and when they were ready, buy the extender.

If Apple put a connector on an iMac, that could use it as well, though I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.
post #33 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

What I would like to see Apple have, is a separate unit, like the models made by other companies, that fits under the Mini, and attaches to it with some special connector, that has the tuner, and LCD display panel, an additional HD, remote, and whatever else is required to turn the Mini into a total audio/video control center.

Now THAT would be cool and have me sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #34 of 141
Agreed,

that sort of PVR unit would be very smart indeed.
post #35 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash

oooooohhhh, exciting news!! So, looks like the Sept 5. people were right. (Congrats mr. Predicto!!! Hat). Here's hoping for a Conroe iMac. If not, then I'll consider a mini instead if the upgrade makes it a good deal.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was an additional week after sept 5 that the announcements came. People/media are still pretty groggy from the holiday weekend.

Of course, if it's just a simple speed bump, apple probably wouldn't care that much. I guess we'll find out soon enough!
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #36 of 141
Exciting possibilities with any new Mini...but me thinks it'll still have integrated video card given it's position on the product line totum pole.
post #37 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash

It's the hat, man. It's the hat. Go check out the Predicto Says thread if you haven't already.
post #38 of 141
Quote:
Also by next month, the Cupertino, Calif-based company is expected to update its MacBook Pro notebooks with Intel's latest Core 2 Duo processors.

Is the Macbook expected to get a bump up to the new processor or is it just the Macbook Pro? I know someone who needs a laptop for school in mid-October and I told him just to hold on and see what happens. Any word?
post #39 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

If Apple put a connector on an iMac, that could use it as well, though I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

Can't this be done with just a firewire connection?
post #40 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix

Can't this be done with just a firewire connection?

anyone remember seeing PCI or NuBus breakout boxes? Loooooong time ago. Would be nice to have the ability to add a video card to the mini. I like the Accessory Bay idea.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac mini shortage suggests product changes