or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Snootycrats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snootycrats

post #1 of 247
Thread Starter 
Attentions Walmart Shoppers

Quote:
Democrats are fleshing out their domestic agenda with attacks on the company that brings you everyday low prices. The party is divided about how to address the threat of the insurgents and militias bedeviling us in Iraq, but is united by its response to the threat represented by extremely affordable retail goods and groceries. Appearing at Wal-Mart-bashing rallies has become practically mandatory for Democratic presidential aspirants, according to the New York Times.

The Democrats call their broadsides against the super-retailer populist, but its an odd populism that attacks a company that attracts more than 100 million customers a week with no-frills convenience and rock-bottom prices for everyday consumer goods.

An interesting proposition. Is it really populist to attack the forces within the economy that acts as basically the "people's store."

I've always been a bit curious about the attacks on Walmart because I've never understood the rationale behind folks being upset that stocking a store shelf, or running a cash register doesn't pay $15 an hour while providing health care. I've not heard nor seen proof that Walmart pays less than other retailers. We can argue about why certain jobes shouldn't pay $15 million as well and it would be easy to understand who attacking someone who does could be labeled populist. However the fact that is plenty of folks who can undertake and desire unskilled work that occurs in with flexible hours and often inside a comfortable environment is part of what determines the pay rate.

The flip-side of all this is the pricing which saves money for many low and mid-income folks. When so many benefit from such prices, how is it populist to attack it?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #2 of 247
The politics of envy will never go away.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #3 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman

Attentions Walmart Shoppers



An interesting proposition. Is it really populist to attack the forces within the economy that acts as basically the "people's store."

I've always been a bit curious about the attacks on Walmart because I've never understood the rationale behind folks being upset that stocking a store shelf, or running a cash register doesn't pay $15 an hour while providing health care. I've not heard nor seen proof that Walmart pays less than other retailers. We can argue about why certain jobes shouldn't pay $15 million as well and it would be easy to understand who attacking someone who does could be labeled populist. However the fact that is plenty of folks who can undertake and desire unskilled work that occurs in with flexible hours and often inside a comfortable environment is part of what determines the pay rate.

The flip-side of all this is the pricing which saves money for many low and mid-income folks. When so many benefit from such prices, how is it populist to attack it?

Nick


We all know about Wally world and the way they treat their staff.

Trumpy this is really desperate!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #4 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman

Attentions Walmart Shoppers



An interesting proposition. Is it really populist to attack the forces within the economy that acts as basically the "people's store."

I've always been a bit curious about the attacks on Walmart because I've never understood the rationale behind folks being upset that stocking a store shelf, or running a cash register doesn't pay $15 an hour while providing health care. I've not heard nor seen proof that Walmart pays less than other retailers. We can argue about why certain jobes shouldn't pay $15 million as well and it would be easy to understand who attacking someone who does could be labeled populist. However the fact that is plenty of folks who can undertake and desire unskilled work that occurs in with flexible hours and often inside a comfortable environment is part of what determines the pay rate.

The flip-side of all this is the pricing which saves money for many low and mid-income folks. When so many benefit from such prices, how is it populist to attack it?

Nick

Wal-Mart is pure evil there is no doubt about it.

http://www.intellectualpoison.com/Wa...sPureEvil.html
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
Reply
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
Reply
post #5 of 247
Walmart may have some issues but it's retarded for the Dems to fight against it. This is EXACTLY why Dems have that elitist label they just can't shake. Walmart allows people with lower class wages to enjoy many of the luxuries of a middle class lifestyle. Those lower class folk don't hear the message from the Dems of fair wages because that is drowned out by the sound of "WE ARE GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR ONLY MEANS OF GETTING NICE THINGS AS LOW PRICES!"

Sorry guys, but that's the reality of the situation. Again, Walmart may have some issues but it's political suicide in those poor states to go after it.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #6 of 247
"An interesting proposition?" Are you serious? The 'arguments' you posted could be made by my 4 year old nephew
post #7 of 247
I've heard a lot of debates among Democrats about their approach to Walmart. Of course people like to shop at Walmart, because they have cheap stuff (confession: I was there yesterday). But that doesn't mean you can't criticize the company for making the Walton family the wealthiest billionaires in the world while not allowing their employees to unionize, having many of their employees on public assistance, obtaining millions of dollars of public subsidies, and doing whatever it can to avoid providing any benefits.

It's a microcosm of what's wrong with the current American economic system: The wealthy rig the system to get wealthier directly at the expense of the lower-to-middle classes. It's immoral, and it should be criticized.
post #8 of 247
Calling Wal-Mart a people's store is probably the most beautifully intense irony I've ever heard.
post #9 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR

Walmart may have some issues but it's retarded for the Dems to fight against it. This is EXACTLY why Dems have that elitist label they just can't shake. Walmart allows people with lower class wages to enjoy many of the luxuries of a middle class lifestyle. Those lower class folk don't hear the message from the Dems of fair wages because that is drowned out by the sound of "WE ARE GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR ONLY MEANS OF GETTING NICE THINGS AS LOW PRICES!"

Sorry guys, but that's the reality of the situation. Again, Walmart may have some issues but it's political suicide in those poor states to go after it.

It may be political suicide, but maybe liberals should actually do what's right instead of just playing politics.
post #10 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

It may be political suicide, but maybe liberals should actually do what's right instead of just playing politics.

And the result of that time and time again is liberals not getting to do anything at all as they sit on the sidelines and watch the country get demolished by Bush for 8 years.

It's called pick your battles. The Dems just fail to understand that concept and as a result there hasn't been a viable Yin to the Republican Yang for quite a while.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #11 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR

And the result of that time and time again is liberals not getting to do anything at all as they sit on the sidelines and watch the country get demolished by Bush for 8 years.

It's called pick your battles. The Dems just fail to understand that concept and as a result there hasn't been a viable Yin to the Republican Yang for quite a while.

Maybe, but on the other hand, it's hard to think of a general idea more fundamental to liberals than the one represented by Walmart: Billionaires rigging the system in order to get more billions, while doing whatever they can to keep the wages and benefits of their lower-middle class employees at welfare levels. If Democrats don't start trying to build support for their foundational ideas, even if they don't win in the short-term, I'm not sure what's the point of being a Democrat.

What battle would you suggest liberals pick, if not economic fairness?
post #12 of 247
Right, but if the casualty of war of that battle is the lifestyle of the very lower class you are trying to fight for, it's not the right battle to choose.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #13 of 247
Yes, but it's screwing the lower class people who work there over at the same time.
post #14 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR

And the result of that time and time again is liberals not getting to do anything at all as they sit on the sidelines and watch the country get demolished by Bush for 8 years.

It's called pick your battles. The Dems just fail to understand that concept and as a result there hasn't been a viable Yin to the Republican Yang for quite a while.


Well it doesn't really matter now does it?

The republicans are finished for quite awhile now thanks to those very same 8 years with Bush.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #15 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac

We all know about Wally world and the way they treat their staff.

Trumpy this is really desperate!

The logic of your "we all knows" and claims of desperation astounds!

Please add something Jimmac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac

"An interesting proposition?" Are you serious? The 'arguments' you posted could be made by my 4 year old nephew

Obviously you teach your nephew to issue insults instead of engaging in conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

I've heard a lot of debates among Democrats about their approach to Walmart. Of course people like to shop at Walmart, because they have cheap stuff (confession: I was there yesterday).

You feed the beast! How dare you?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

But that doesn't mean you can't criticize the company for making the Walton family the wealthiest billionaires in the world while not allowing their employees to unionize, having many of their employees on public assistance, obtaining millions of dollars of public subsidies, and doing whatever it can to avoid providing any benefits.

It's a microcosm of what's wrong with the current American economic system: The wealthy rig the system to get wealthier directly at the expense of the lower-to-middle classes. It's immoral, and it should be criticized.

Let me understand this correctly. If you become wealthy by saving 100 million people a week money, then that is a bad thing. The value you provide helps the average household to the tune of up to $2300 a year and that is terrible because it also happens ot make someone rich.

Let me ask you this BRussell, if you could give improve the life of 100 million people but the "evil" you had to tolerate was one family being really well off, would you make the choice to help the 100 million or spite the one family?

You levy the claim that Walmart employees are on public assistance because of their wage level. Is that truly a function of Walmart or of the job and the wage level the market is willing to assign it? Would the same employee doing the same job at Target or Sears make more or receive fewer public benefits? I have no doubt that the answer is no.

I would love to see you prove your last statement. It reflects the mindset that those who create the wealth are somehow evil if they actually benefit from their own creation. 100 million lifes are improved from what they would have been, but not improved ENOUGH by the standards of some and thus an immoral act has occurred. How do you reason this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Calling Wal-Mart a people's store is probably the most beautifully intense irony I've ever heard.

If only a witticism could provide the same benefit as bricks and mortar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

It may be political suicide, but maybe liberals should actually do what's right instead of just playing politics.

Yes it is always wrong to provide value. It is always better to demean it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Yes, but it's screwing the lower class people who work there over at the same time.

You are saying that the value these jobs generate really should generate $10-15 an hour plus health care? That is what I asked earlier and I got insults and witty retorts from folks instead of actual discussion. If it can't provide that level value then from what sort do you demand the value come from? I've worked as a cashier as I am sure many others have. There isn't anything hard or skilled enough about these jobs to demand higher wages. If the value cannot be justified, then by what means is it provided?

We all understand that Walmart earns a profit, but profit isn't a dirty word. Also you have to look at their margins to truly determine if they are immoral. The claim is that Walmart serves 100 million a week which comes out to 5.3 billion people shopping transactions per year. Looking at their income statement it shows a profit margin of around 24%. Meanwhile Target has a profit margin of nearly 34%. So who is more evil then? Walmart might have earned more but it is because then did 600% more business at a lower profit. Profit is what is left over after paying employees so Target earns more simply by convincing people to pay more, not for a social cause, but by using narcassistic chicness.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #16 of 247
Yer funny nick.

It isn't the profit that is the issue, it is the means by which they did it -- see the Frontline documentary on how Walmart plays. Your entire argument hinges on the idea that Walmart actually saves people money, I don't think that is true for the average consumer.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #17 of 247
I love Wal-Mart. I love everything about it. I love the way it used to be a store for rural areas and now they're everywhere. I love the way it ordered a couple hundred thousand grills from a manufacturer in the town I lived in in Oklahoma at a specific price, then lowered the price after the grills had been manufactured and decided to pass on the deal when the manufacturer said they couldn't do it. I love the way they put that manufacturer out of business. I love the way Wal-Mart forces its employees to work only 39 hours so it doesn't have to pay them benefits. I love the way they lock their night staff in. I love the way Wal-Mart comes into a town, demands that the city pays all kinds of costs upon promise that tax revenues will cover the difference, then doesn't mention that the tax revenues go back to normal after five years.

I love the way that my town fought against installing a Wal-Mart and won. I love the way a town just to the south of me fought against it and won.

I love the way that Wal-Mart is the largest business in the world and has profits stunningly in excess of ALL of its competitors COMBINED...and says it can't treat its workers any better.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #18 of 247
The Democrats shouldn't fight Walmart, they should just propose a 40% tariff on Chinese imports. Suddenly Walmart goes "poof".
post #19 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall

The Democrats shouldn't fight Walmart, they should just propose a 40% tariff on Chinese imports. Suddenly Walmart goes "poof".

And so does the American economy.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #20 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter

And so does the American economy.

Probably, but I think the Democrats would be better off proposing a "fair trade" platform than attacking Walmart and I hate Walmart.
post #21 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall

Probably, but I think the Democrats would be better off proposing a "fair trade" platform than attacking Walmart and I hate Walmart.

Never underestimate the power of the Democrats to royally screw up.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #22 of 247
"Snootycrats"?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #23 of 247
And so devastating coming from Rich Lowry, just as blue collar a regular guy as you could ever hope to meet.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #24 of 247
By the way, here's Rich Lowry on the causes of poverty in America:
Quote:
Poverty in America is primarily a cultural phenomenon, driven by a shattered work ethic and sexual irresponsibility. Child poverty would be nearly obliterated if every household had one adult working full time and married parents. Unfortunately, only President Bush has a program that works to make these social conditions a reality, and it is resisted by the party of Edwards.

Got that, Walmart shoppers? You're lazy and you fuck too much.

Good thing the President of the party that has complete and total power has a plan to help you out, but, you know, those crafty, powerless Dems would whine and carry-on and shit so they've made it impossible to help you out. And now they want to make it harder for you to save a few bucks on a VCR to watch while you're not looking for work, you lazy fucks.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #25 of 247
People's store? People's store? CostCo is People's Store. Walmart is a money-sucking machine that takes in huge amounts of monies, and gives out pittance to its employees. It pollutes every fucking neighborhood it goes into with bad taste and lazy fucks, and it drives out of business any small-mid-size business simply because it's bigger.

I'm happy I live in Chicago and the City passed the $10 + $3 minimum wage law for companies like Walmart. That'll keep that disgusting filth out of the city.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #26 of 247
Addabox, should you really have kids before you can afford them?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #27 of 247
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2190877.stm

This link shows Walmart's profits for the quarter ending in July. I think they can afford to pay their employes more than poverty level wages and benefits.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
Reply
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
Reply
post #28 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2190877.stm

This link shows Walmart's profits for the quarter ending in July. I think they can afford to pay their employes more than poverty level wages and benefits.

Ronaldo, you added something besides a quip and so you are worth responding to regarding your link.

Walmart did make $2 billion this quarter. However note that they had to sell $60 billion worth of goods to achieve that profit.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #29 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman

Let me understand this correctly. If you become wealthy by saving 100 million people a week money, then that is a bad thing. The value you provide helps the average household to the tune of up to $2300 a year and that is terrible because it also happens ot make someone rich.

Let me ask you this BRussell, if you could give improve the life of 100 million people but the "evil" you had to tolerate was one family being really well off, would you make the choice to help the 100 million or spite the one family?

You levy the claim that Walmart employees are on public assistance because of their wage level. Is that truly a function of Walmart or of the job and the wage level the market is willing to assign it? Would the same employee doing the same job at Target or Sears make more or receive fewer public benefits? I have no doubt that the answer is no.

I would love to see you prove your last statement. It reflects the mindset that those who create the wealth are somehow evil if they actually benefit from their own creation. 100 million lifes are improved from what they would have been, but not improved ENOUGH by the standards of some and thus an immoral act has occurred. How do you reason this?

The problem I have with Walmart - and our economy right now as a whole - is that it is geared toward making billionaires even more billionairey rather than making lower-middle classes get more middle-classy. Walmart is a perfect example of this. The Walton family is the wealthiest family in the history of the universe. You claim they have gotten there by "improving 100 millions lives." I say that's BS, they have gotten there by rigging the system to get government subsidies and by keeping their employees as low as possible. Of course they're just doing what our economy as a whole does right now, just better than their competitors. The main problem is our cultural acceptance of this type of moral outrage. We accept it because conservatives like you defend it and liberals don't care enough to speak up and say this is the most fundamental problem in our society right now.
post #30 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

It's a microcosm of what's wrong with the current American economic system: The wealthy rig the system to get wealthier directly at the expense of the lower-to-middle classes. It's immoral, and it should be criticized.

That's funny, I didn't know the wealthy were the majority at the polls.

You know what's also funny? The top 6% (the weathiest Americans) are mostly registered Democrats.

Rupert Murdoch recently helped out at a Hillary Clinton fundraiser.

Ignore that though, the dems are fighting for the little guy, while rich republicans like Steve Forbes (who wants to eliminate income tax for the bottom half of income earners) want to rob us all!

Nothing is as it seems.
Mac user since before you were born.
Reply
Mac user since before you were born.
Reply
post #31 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead

You know what's also funny? The top 6% (the weathiest Americans) are mostly registered Democrats.

I think you mean to say that all rich people are Democrats because Republicans are just too giving to keep any of their income. I see them all the time, Republicans who have given until they lose their house and wind up homeless with a shopping cart. I ask them what happened and they just shrug and say "Republicans."

It's sad, really, to see such a massive group of people who care so deeply about the little guy.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #32 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

"Snootycrats"?

It beats Michael "Hemingway" Savage's "demoncats".
post #33 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead

That's funny, I didn't know the wealthy were the majority at the polls.

You know what's also funny? The top 6% (the weathiest Americans) are mostly registered Democrats.

Rupert Murdoch recently helped out at a Hillary Clinton fundraiser.

Ignore that though, the dems are fighting for the little guy, while rich republicans like Steve Forbes (who wants to eliminate income tax for the bottom half of income earners) want to rob us all!

I don't recall saying the wealthy rigged the system via voting. In fact, I wouldn't say that voting is "rigging" at all, would you? The wealthy rig the system via the money they give to politicians. Walmart execs represents what, .0001% of voters? But they are one of the largest corporate bribers I mean givers to politicians, overwhelmingly to Republicans.

And you're simply making up stuff about the top 6% being mostly registered Democrats. That's a lie. Income is one of the most reliable predictors of voting. Some excerpts from that link:

Under $15,000
Kerry: 63%
Bush 36%

$30,000-$50,000
Kerry: 50%
Bush: 49%

$200,000 or more
Kerry: 35%
Bush: 63%
Quote:
Nothing is as it seems.

Apparently.
post #34 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman

The logic of your "we all knows" and claims of desperation astounds!

Please add something Jimmac.



Obviously you teach your nephew to issue insults instead of engaging in conversation.



You feed the beast! How dare you?!?



Let me understand this correctly. If you become wealthy by saving 100 million people a week money, then that is a bad thing. The value you provide helps the average household to the tune of up to $2300 a year and that is terrible because it also happens ot make someone rich.

Let me ask you this BRussell, if you could give improve the life of 100 million people but the "evil" you had to tolerate was one family being really well off, would you make the choice to help the 100 million or spite the one family?

You levy the claim that Walmart employees are on public assistance because of their wage level. Is that truly a function of Walmart or of the job and the wage level the market is willing to assign it? Would the same employee doing the same job at Target or Sears make more or receive fewer public benefits? I have no doubt that the answer is no.

I would love to see you prove your last statement. It reflects the mindset that those who create the wealth are somehow evil if they actually benefit from their own creation. 100 million lifes are improved from what they would have been, but not improved ENOUGH by the standards of some and thus an immoral act has occurred. How do you reason this?



If only a witticism could provide the same benefit as bricks and mortar.



Yes it is always wrong to provide value. It is always better to demean it instead.



You are saying that the value these jobs generate really should generate $10-15 an hour plus health care? That is what I asked earlier and I got insults and witty retorts from folks instead of actual discussion. If it can't provide that level value then from what sort do you demand the value come from? I've worked as a cashier as I am sure many others have. There isn't anything hard or skilled enough about these jobs to demand higher wages. If the value cannot be justified, then by what means is it provided?

We all understand that Walmart earns a profit, but profit isn't a dirty word. Also you have to look at their margins to truly determine if they are immoral. The claim is that Walmart serves 100 million a week which comes out to 5.3 billion people shopping transactions per year. Looking at their income statement it shows a profit margin of around 24%. Meanwhile Target has a profit margin of nearly 34%. So who is more evil then? Walmart might have earned more but it is because then did 600% more business at a lower profit. Profit is what is left over after paying employees so Target earns more simply by convincing people to pay more, not for a social cause, but by using narcassistic chicness.

Nick


Here's a nice link if you must explore the obivious! All I had to do was type in " Wal-mart Unfair and got thousands of hits. That's not good for your case Trumpy.

http://dmoz.org/Society/Issues/Busin...irms/Wal-Mart/



It's kind of like saying " Microsoft is ok with their monopoly over the computing industry all these years ".

But maybe you think that also?


This is unforgivingly stupid!

You sound more like Ann Coulter all the time but you're probably proud of that!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #35 of 247
The pure and simple truth is rarely pure...

http://www.nysun.com/article/38463?page_no=1

...and never simple

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar...rt_and_em.html
http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar...g_box_min.html
http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar..._overpa_1.html

Leaping entire schools of economic theory in a single rant is useful -- especially if it gets uninformed voters to the polls. And, no this does not excuse Wal-Mart use, at times, of Gatetian levels of connivance to get where it is. But this is vilification to make a point -- and the same low-brow intellectual dialogue that irresponsibly gave debit cards to Katrina victims, or scares people with phony science to change their commuting habits.



Although, would it be possible to prosecute the political parties under the RICO statutes?

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #36 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

"Snootycrats"?


Rebumblicans!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #37 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz

The pure and simple truth is rarely pure...

http://www.nysun.com/article/38463?page_no=1

...and never simple

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar...rt_and_em.html
http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar...g_box_min.html
http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar..._overpa_1.html

Leaping entire schools of economic theory in a single rant is useful -- especially if it gets uninformed voters to the polls. And, no this does not excuse Wal-Mart use, at times, of Gatetian levels of connivance to get where it is. But this is vilification to make a point -- and the same low-brow intellectual dialogue that irresponsibly gave debit cards to Katrina victims, or scares people with phony science to change their commuting habits.



Although, would it be possible to prosecute the political parties under the RICO statutes?


http://www.now.org/issues/wfw/wm-facts.html

The difference here is Wal-Mart is supposed to be helping the people besides making a profit. However a lot of people don't like their tactics. That amounts to more than a opinion on mandatory health insurance.

It's the helping hand on one side and the rusty knife on the other.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #38 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman

An interesting proposition. Is it really populist to attack the forces within the economy that acts as basically the "people's store."

It is interesting. You're right.

But if you look at two broad areas of criticism--
  • Wal Mart's employment practices and
  • Wal Mart's effect on local and national economies.

--you'll understand how people pay a high cost for Wal-Mart's low prices.
post #39 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

And you're simply making up stuff about the top 6% being mostly registered Democrats. That's a lie. Income is one of the most reliable predictors of voting.

... I said they registered Democrat mostly, not voted. Just because the rich democrats didn't come out to vote for kerry doesn't mean they don't exist and aren't registered. Many of them stayed home or voted nader, I'd imagine.
Mac user since before you were born.
Reply
Mac user since before you were born.
Reply
post #40 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead

... I said they registered Democrat mostly, not voted. Just because the rich democrats didn't come out to vote for kerry doesn't mean they don't exist and aren't registered. Many of them stayed home or voted nader, I'd imagine.

Guessing is fun.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Snootycrats