or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft leaks Windows Vista pricing

Microsoft leaks Windows Vista pricing

post #1 of 44
Microsoft on Thursday accidently leaked pricing for the company's much anticipated operating system overhaul, Windows Vista.

In an inadvertent post to its Canadian Web site, the world's largest software maker revealed that it plans to charge $199 for a Windows Vista Home Basic license, with additional licenses fetching $179.

Windows Vista Home Premium will cost $239, the company said, with additional licenses costing $215.

Microsoft will also offer a $299 Windows Vista Business edition and $399 Windows Vista Ultimate, according to Web blunder. Additional licenses for these higher-end bundles were reported at $269 and $359, respectively.

By comparison, Apple Computer has traditionally released a single edition of its major Mac OS X operating system upgrades for just $129 dollars. A family pack with a five-seat license has historically retailed for just $199.

On Monday, AppleInsider reported on an in-depth comparative analysis of Apple's Mac OS X pricing strategy and Microsoft's Windows pricing strategy.

The analysis found that, despite Apple's lower OS pricing, the Mac maker is able to gain more profitability per user from its OS software than Microsoft because it releases upgrades at a more frequently and stable pace.

The Windows Vista price list was removed from Microsoft's Web site within hours of its appearance. However, Amazon.com is already taking pre-orders for Windows Vista Home Premium and Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, with preliminary ship date of January 30, 2007.
post #2 of 44
Do we know that those amounts are in USD, as opposed to Canadian dollars... seeing as the posting was on MS's CA site.
post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe

Do we know that those amounts are in USD, as opposed to Canadian dollars... seeing as the posting was on MS's CA site.

The Canadian Dollar is about 10% cheeper (you get about 1.11 Canadian to 1 US$)
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #4 of 44
Amazon.com is already taking pre-orders for Windows Vista Home Premium and Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, with preliminary ship date of January 30, 2007.[/QUOTE]

Oh now there's a good idea.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #5 of 44
Even still I think it is quiet humorous that for Windows you have to the folllowing:

- Windows Vista Home Basic $199
- Windows Vista Home Premium $239
- Windows Vista Business $299
- Windows Vista Ultimate $399

I mean come on that is freaking insane. Ok now for comparison on the Apple Operating System:

- OS X 10.4 $129.00

Now lets see we get everything for 129 where Windows users have to decide and for the basic version of Windows Vista you have to pay 70 dollars more for an OS that has less features than OS X 10.4

wow . . . .

-iGrant
MacBook: 2.0 Ghz 2048 ram, 80gig HDD, OS 10.5 . . . wow
post #6 of 44
What exactly accounts for the differences in the versions of Vista, and for that matter XP Home and Pro?

Does micro$oft hobble the lower end versions of its OS?

Are there fewer "features" or just more bugs?
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by malckwan

What exactly accounts for the differences in the versions of Vista, and for that matter XP Home and Pro?

Does micro$oft hobble the lower end versions of its OS?

Are there fewer "features" or just more bugs?

I know that WIndows Xp Home had almost no newtorking capabilities whatsoever which was a huge pain when I was a windows user. If you went to school or anything, you could not network easily, there were ways but it was a complete pain.
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey

The Canadian Dollar is about 10% cheeper (you get about 1.11 Canadian to 1 US$)

Exactly. Thus my question - which dollars are quoted here - USD or CAD? If they're in CAD, then we need to adjust the numbers to make a more fair comparison to Apple's prices.
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe

Exactly. Thus my question - which dollars are quoted here - USD or CAD? If they're in CAD, then we need to adjust the numbers to make a more fair comparison to Apple's prices.

Even after you adjust the price, the Apple OS is going to cost less than the Windows Vista Home Basic . . . . #%^#$ that is a long os name Windows Vista Home Basic

Ok I have an idea

Windows Vista Home Basic - WVHB
Windows Vista Home Premium - WVHP
Windows Vista Business - WVB
Windows Vista Ultimate - WVU

- iGrant
post #10 of 44
I know someone's gonna bring up the ol' "but Apple has charged $129 for five updates for a grand total of $645 which is much more than Vista's Ultimate Edition"...

...but...here's the difference between Apple and MS:

Apple releases multiple updates in a 5 year time span essentially letting the consumer decide which ones to buy. The hardest of hardcore Mac fans will have paid for all 5 and have spent $645. Normal people, on the other hand, will probably have paid for 10.2 and 10.4. Or 10.0 and 10.3. Or just 10.3. Or just 10.4.

MS releases Vista five years after XP...so you can't really skip Vista, unless you want to be stuck with XP for another 3-5 years. And if you've been with XP for the past 2 years...we're looking at a 5-7 year span of time where your OS hasn't seen very many feature updates or brand new features.
post #11 of 44
Why does anyone care on a Mac site?
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

I know someone's gonna bring up the ol' "but Apple has charged $129 for five updates for a grand total of $645 which is much more than Vista's Ultimate Edition"...

Apple releases multiple updates in a 5 year time span essentially letting the consumer decide which ones to buy. The hardest of hardcore Mac fans will have paid for all 5 and have spent $645. Normal people, on the other hand, will probably have paid for 10.2 and 10.4. Or 10.0 and 10.3. Or just 10.3. Or just 10.4.

MS releases Vista five years after XP...so you can't really skip Vista, unless you want to be stuck with XP for another 3-5 years. And if you've been with XP for the past 2 years...we're looking at a 5-7 year span of time where your OS hasn't seen very many feature updates or brand new features.

Its funny you mention that because I have never thought of the difference between 10.3 to 10.4 as updates as much as upgrades such as Windows 98 to Windows 98 SE . . . .

-iGrant
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Because alot of use have to use Windows even thought we are Mac users. I am a college student, yet I am about to buy a MacBook so I can install Windows so that I can do my assignments for all my ITEC course, because they all primarily in Windows.
post #14 of 44
post #15 of 44
I already signed up on amazon for Leopard. Sure as hell doesnt mean im going to be buying it when it comes out. Normally I get my OS about the time they hit the third release(10.X.3). Mostly due to lack of money. Also I let apple work out whatever initial kinks it has on launch.
post #16 of 44
I also found the following on the US version of Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...803061?ie=UTF8
post #17 of 44
Wheres the education store on amazon? I wanna know where to get leopard cheap. And I am a student therefore I deserve it (kind of sarcastic)
post #18 of 44
Quote:

As an upgrade for existing computers, Vista can generally be avoided. I think the way most buyers will switch to Vista when the computer they have is old enough to not do what they want anymore, and just buy a new computer. The new computer will happen to have Vista on it. It's probably best to hold out on Vista until Service Pack 1 anyway. Likewise, it's probably a good idea to wait a few months before getting Leopard if you do anything of value with a Mac.
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

As an upgrade for existing computers, Vista can generally be avoided. I think the way most buyers will switch to Vista when the computer they have is old enough to not do what they want anymore, and just buy a new computer. The new computer will happen to have Vista on it. It's probably best to hold out on Vista until Service Pack 1 anyway. Likewise, it's probably a good idea to wait a few months before getting Leopard if you do anything of value with a Mac.

The sad thing is I actually liked Windows XP Pro back when it first came out before all the different service packs hit. . . .

-iGrant
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1

Exactly. why the frig do we care?... Vista will be a bloated and bug ridden virus tainted OS...
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

Wheres the education store on amazon? I wanna know where to get leopard cheap. And I am a student therefore I deserve it (kind of sarcastic)

Umm ... go to the Apple store online, select the education store and get it there. Costs you 50 bucks less than the retail version. Thank goodness they're shipping Leopard in Spring, I graduate in May and would like to pay $79 instead of $129 one last time...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Exactly. why the frig do we care?

coz we wanna larf how windows users are being ripped off for a bug ridden, virus tainted OS, as you put it so well
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrant

I know that WIndows Xp Home had almost no newtorking capabilities whatsoever which was a huge pain when I was a windows user. If you went to school or anything, you could not network easily, there were ways but it was a complete pain.

More specifically, the networking in XP Home is very basic. It works well for standard installations, but if you've got funky University firewalls and proxies and junk..... <shudder>

It does work. But like with everything on windows, don't try to do anything abnormal. Thinking Different Make XP Angry.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #24 of 44
Quote:

Fun XP Home Fact:

Original install space requirement: ~500MB
After updating to SP2: ~5GB

Lovely.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn

Fun XP Home Fact:

Original install space requirement: ~500MB
After updating to SP2: ~5GB

Lovely.

Nonsense.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Nonsense.

why is this nonsense??
post #27 of 44
Quote:

Thinking Different Makes XP Angry.

The secret of life: Proteins fold up and bind things.
The secret of life: Proteins fold up and bind things.
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham

why is this nonsense??

Uh, because the updates downloaded aren't exactly 9 times the size of the OS itself?
post #29 of 44
Quote:

Uh, because the updates downloaded aren't exactly 9 times the size of the OS itself?

I agree, my current notebook's Windows folder is 2GB. I don't know where 5GB came from though I did delete the old update files, it used to be 2.5GB. There may be some old system restore points floating around too.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrant

Even still I think it is quiet humorous that for Windows you have to the folllowing:

- Windows Vista Home Basic $199
- Windows Vista Home Premium $239
- Windows Vista Business $299
- Windows Vista Ultimate $399

I mean come on that is freaking insane. Ok now for comparison on the Apple Operating System:

- OS X 10.4 $129.00

Now lets see we get everything for 129 where Windows users have to decide and for the basic version of Windows Vista you have to pay 70 dollars more for an OS that has less features than OS X 10.4

wow . . . .

-iGrant

Exactly right!

Where is the "VALUE" Gates is always talking about? Where is the "INNOVATION"? "VALUE" & "INNOVATION" are the cornerstone of all things Microsoft - or so we're often told. If Microsoft puts something on the shelf that someone else has already done...and charged LESS for it...how does "VALUE" & "INNOVATION" even factor into it?
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I agree, my current notebook's Windows folder is 2GB. I don't know where 5GB came from though I did delete the old update files, it used to be 2.5GB. There may be some old system restore points floating around too.

1. Reformat/repartition HD into two partitions, one for files and programs, and one strictly for Windows installation and page file.
2. Fresh install of XP Home, then update with Windows update.
3. Install Office and whatever other programs you need TO THE DATA PARTITION.
4. Begin getting constant Systray alerts that you only have 120MB left on C.

Actually, I even have my page file on a separate partiton. Windows partion is 5GB. I typically have between 120 and 800 MB of free space on that partition. Temp files, and, more importantly, the garbage that Windows stores as leftovers after doing a Service Pack install, make a huge gob of wasted space. System restore is disabled. All programs that I install are always changed from their default install location to the data partition.

http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/bloat1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/bloat2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/celemourn/bloat3.jpg

This is with only minimal software installed. Add about another gig for the page file which is hiding on another partition. Subtract 474MB from the documents and setting folder in the pictures above, to account for some stuff in the MyDocuments folder I haven't filed away yet.

You can reduce the amount of space taken by removing as many windows components as possible, and by not installing any programs. Still obscene.

You decide.

***EDIT***

Oh, btw, Chucker's a liar! He said he was gonna block me!! <nyaaaa!>
post #32 of 44
Quote:

1. Reformat/repartition HD into two partitions, one for files and programs, and one strictly for Windows installation and page file.
2. Fresh install of XP Home, then update with Windows update.
3. Install Office and whatever other programs you need TO THE DATA PARTITION.

Uh, you cannot install Office exclusively to the data partition. You were speaking of XP Home in and by itself in the original post. Any app you install will obviously take up additional on your primary partition.

Sorry man, argument failed.

Quote:
Oh, btw, Chucker's a liar! He said he was gonna block me!! <nyaaaa!>

You still are blocked. I just occasionally peak through to get something to laugh at.
post #33 of 44
Those .jpgs were included for a reason. And I peek occasionally too. Despite being a dick, you do make some good posts on occasion.

Now, go examine those pictures, and then pull your foot out of you mouth.
post #34 of 44
I really don't know what you are doing, but I don't use Office anything. Office is not part of the Windows OS so I would not count that as part of the Windows "bloat" at all.

It looks like you can stand to lose Installer, Service Pack Files, the patch uninstall directories and downloaded installations, that will save 1.4GB right there, though I would do a system backup before trying that.
post #35 of 44
Considering the amount of resources it took to get/getting vista out the door, it's going to need a lot of heavy handed pricing to balance the books.

This of course does not mean that value is reflected in price.

Though Microsoft expects that vista will last a good amount of time, so they can decrease prices in future/OEM licensing, etc to do a long term thing going.

The problem with this awful amounts of versions means that their cost saving in cutting corners is going to get bitten on the technical support end.

How many freaky version are they going to have to catagorize, fix, and cater to? The OEM alone are going to love the fact they have to keep so many images, and support them.
post #36 of 44
Then you fault your own arguement, since apple upgrade price is traditionally $79. They are comparing retail to retail, a liegit fact.

Retail and upgrade are very different beasts.

Trying to cut corners and get multiple upgrades instead of retail, may or may not suit ones needs.

In the respect
I'm not quite sure how vista upgrade functionality is, but it's traditionally not as easy as osx upgrade.

Apple(being that it doesn't really care so much ) upgrades is more a "simple check" forumla. You can literally install 10.3, and choose erase install in 10.4 upgrade.

Whether vista will have such a convient upgrade functionality will have to be trial by fire. Already the bastardized paths in Vista suggest some weirdness going on.

While it isn't a profitable thing for people to get an OEM home, then then buy an upgraded ultimate, It's almost daunting trying to support and clarify, and only enforces the "Empire of evil" attitude.

You can say Microsoft dug themselves into a hole with trying to spin off so many versions and paths.

There is a certain novelity in simplicity, such as apple's idea of "One leopard" after the split of PPC/Intel, x32/x64.

Your manufacture/support/proproganda/advertisment are all streamedline.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuku

Then you fault your own arguement, since apple upgrade price is traditionally $79. They are comparing retail to retail, a liegit fact.

Mac OS X has no such thing as upgrade pricing. A Mac OS X license costs $129, unless you get discounts due to education or whatever. It's virtually always an upgrade anyway, since you can't legally install Mac OS X on a machine that didn't already ship with it.
post #38 of 44
Quote:

Mac OS X has no such thing as upgrade pricing. A Mac OS X license costs $129, unless you get discounts due to education or whatever. It's virtually always an upgrade anyway, since you can't legally install Mac OS X on a machine that didn't already ship with it.

Sure there is. I got two. from 10.3 to 10.4. It was discontinued from production a while back due to the fact that there is enough for anyone that wanted it by now. And new macs come with 10.4 anyway.

The price was $79(back then).

look here
http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php...criteria=tiger
post #39 of 44
Third-party deals and official upgrade offers aren't the same.
post #40 of 44
Quote:

Third-party deals and official upgrade offers aren't the same.

My company brought 2 from Apple. I still probably have the invoice somewhere, if I look hard enough.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft leaks Windows Vista pricing