or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 released to developers

First builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 released to developers

post #1 of 69
Apple Computer on Monday released to developers the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8, a maintenance and bug fix update for its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system that is currently under development.

In addition to improving the stability and performance of Tiger, sources say Apple will target specific enhancements towards AFP, DVD Player, iCal, iPhoto, Mail and Safari.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also appears to be working on improvements to the operating system's underlying components, including fonts, graphics, modem usage, networking, the Rosetta emulation environment and printing.

Builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update were released for Macs with both Intel (build 8L2108) and PowerPC (build 8L108) processors, sources said.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 is expected to be amongst the final batch of updates to Tiger, as Apple has stated that it will release Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to consumers during the first half of 2007.
post #2 of 69
Leopard.. drool
post #3 of 69
I would love to know how OpenGL performs in the update!
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #4 of 69
Nice to see - it gives us something "new" before Leopard. I would bet that we'll also see 10.4.9 if Leopard isn't ready for MWSF, or if Apple wants a final clean up for TIger.
Ken
Ken
post #5 of 69
Apple may well have been ready (or may well be ready) to ship 10.5 in January, but with Microsoft's possible hic-up in timing, they could be pushing their date to buy extra time so that Leopard just destroy's Vista in the head to head reviews. This way, what they release as 10.5 will, in effect, be 10.5.1. If Leopard isn't just smooth sailing and fantastic when it ships (around Vista date), then people are going to jump all over how "it's buggy too!", etc. etc. But if it rocks, many people are going to take a "why the f$*k should I bother approach when approaching the idea of buying a new PC versus Apple.

My guess is that many people are waiting on buying a new computer for Vista to be released. Any of those who are near the switching "fence" will be made to leap over based on a head to head comparison.

The thought has also crossed my mind that Microsoft verbally delayed the ship date, but really it will ship before that date so that headlines can read "Vista ships early!" Maybe not though.
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu

The thought has also crossed my mind that Microsoft verbally delayed the ship date, but really it will ship before that date so that headlines can read "Vista ships early!" Maybe not though.

It would have had to ship in 2003 in order to be "early." I don't think they'd risk the pummeling they'd get for trying to claim that.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #7 of 69
Speaking of Vista, it is looking like they are going to start shipping by the end of the year. They are squashing bugs and optimizing code at a surprising rate if reviews of the latest builds are anything to go by.
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

Speaking of Vista, it is looking like they are going to start shipping by the end of the year. They are squashing bugs and optimizing code at a surprising rate if reviews of the latest builds are anything to go by.

Have any links to reviews on Pre-RC1 (or whichever is the latest)?
post #9 of 69
I can understand that Apple plays the game of wait & see with Leopard just to show at the right moment that Macs are using intel chips + bootcamp + the best OS in the world, basically just killing Vista one month after release, well Steve is just to smart for the rest
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees!

Have any links to reviews on Pre-RC1 (or whichever is the latest)?

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5536.asp

That's Paul Thurrott's review of Pre-RC1. Someone said the install ISO size is 600MB smaller, it installs in under 30 minutes, and feels much faster. I don't know if this is all true as I haven't tried it yet but the folks at Redmond must be drinking a lot of coffee lately.

But it still has an ugly and cluttered (and wordy) interface...
post #11 of 69
Quote:

I should hope so, since it's s'posed to go to manufacturing in October. If they can make that date, then it'll be available for volume licensing to businesses in November, I think, and then on shelves sometime in January.
post #12 of 69
Quote:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5536.asp

That's Paul Thurrott's review of Pre-RC1. Someone said the install ISO size is 600MB smaller, it installs in under 30 minutes, and feels much faster. I don't know if this is all true as I haven't tried it yet but the folks at Redmond must be drinking a lot of coffee lately.

But it still has an ugly and cluttered (and wordy) interface...

wow! its very cluttered and wordy! Some of the organization of menus is even confusing! And the UI...well I won't even start on that..
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #13 of 69
I just hope Apple just fix's what they screwed up as far as fire wire external hard drives. I know of 4 other people excluding myself that lost use of their FW HD after 10.4.7, which is un-acceptable. I have called Apple and asked when patch for this would be available, and I was told this is a known issue and at this time they have no solution. So if there is no solution in 10.4.8 I will have to replace both of my externals which is not right for any company to force a customer to re-invest due to there problem in there update.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
post #14 of 69
hypoluxa,

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_17.jpg

This is an example of what I mean by wordy. A short story worth of reading every time you want to change a system setting. To me, the text gets in the way. For someone who has never used a computer before, it might be helpful but to have that there every day...it's completely unnecessary. Whatever happened to tooltips? What about the help system? An easy to recognize icon and a short title is all that should be there. It's like Microsoft still isn't 100% confident about the concept of a GUI. They didn't copy enough from Apple IMO.

Also, notice the "Adjust Font size" on the left side. Why is that there? Is that the most important of all the settings?

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_18.jpg

What's up with all the white space? Also, why all the text? A picture is worth a thousand words. There should be a miniature window that shows a preview when the mouse hovers over the color swatch.

I could pretty much rant on and on about this stuff but I'll stop here. I know I am preaching to the choir anyway.
post #15 of 69
See, I've Told You That There's Going To Be Another "tiger" Update, But You Guys Wouldn't Listen To Me. Okay Now, Let's Hope That This Update Will Fix My And Other People's Problems In (10.4.7).
(*APPLE INC.'S OS X*) (*VERSION*) (*#10.7.3+BETA#*) (*BUILD*)
(*#11D36#*) (*ROARING LION USER*)
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL

Okay Now, Let's Hope That This Update Will Fix My And Other People's Problems In (10.4.7).

Problems like capitalizing the first letter of each word?
post #17 of 69
Quote:

hypoluxa,

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_17.jpg

This is an example of what I mean by wordy. A short story worth of reading every time you want to change a system setting. To me, the text gets in the way. For someone who has never used a computer before, it might be helpful but to have that there every day...it's completely unnecessary. Whatever happened to tooltips? What about the help system? An easy to recognize icon and a short title is all that should be there. They didn't copy enough from Apple IMO.

Also, notice the "Adjust Font size" on the left side. Why is that there? Is that the most important of all the settings?

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...ta_5536_18.jpg

What's up with all the white space? Also, why all the text? A picture is worth a thousand words. There should be a miniature window that shows a preview when the mouse hovers over the color swatch.

I could pretty much rant on and on about this stuff but I'll stop here. I know I am preaching to the choir anyway.

I like in the sys prefs that they have to explain what exatly each of them are & what they do, why not not just have a mouse menu pop up when you mouse over the icon? IMO too much text for the items..
post #18 of 69
I've Gotta Tell You Guys, This Will Not Most Likely Be The Last One. There'll Be An Mac Os-x (10.4.9) Update To Boot Too!!!
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN RAY SNELL

I've Gotta Tell You Guys, This Will Not Most Likely Be The Last One. There'll Be An Mac Os-x (10.4.9) Update To Boot Too!!!

And I'm sure they will be a 10.5.1, and 10.5.2 as well.

Why all the buzz over version decimals? I just don't get it.
The secret of life: Proteins fold up and bind things.
The secret of life: Proteins fold up and bind things.
post #20 of 69
Quote:

Wow, that really is Daffy. I'm not trying to bash Vista, and I do want it to ship as soon as possible (it's good for the economy, and I look forward to using it as opposed to XP for things I need Windows for).

That being said, I've seen the most recent build and it seems *very* far from being complete. It's not just the drivers, bugs and optimizations...those can be turned around swiftly. There are fundamental things that just appear not to be well thought out or developed.

While it's possible Microsoft won't flesh these things out before shipping, I suspect that they'll concede the loss of 4Q2006 and then go when it's "more ready".
post #21 of 69
Don't Start That Up Again, Please. I'm Just Pointing Out That Apple's Finally Doing Another Update To Clean-up The Bugs.:d :d :d
post #22 of 69
Here comes another point release and the hopes of the faithful are aroused yet again, only to be surely disappointed down the road. Will Apple fix my most hated bugs?

Yeah, well I for one have given up any hope that Apple will actually fix their numerous problems with Safari. It really is unacceptable. Safari hogs resources, especially memory, and inexcusably hangs and crashes on sites where Firefox has no difficulty at all. I like a lot of things about Safari, but the bugs, the huge memory hogging make it really hard to use. When I'm in a real hurry, and can't wait for Safari's asthmatic progress from link to link, I just fire up Firefox... aaah, what a relief. Really, the spinning beach ball each and every time I click on a link has made me hate this browser. When oh when will Apple fix this POS?

I'm giving Apple time PLENTY of time - until Leopard 10.5.2. If Apple has not fixed Safari by then, then I'm permanently moving over to Firefox.

OK, I just vented. I'm sure everyone has their list of "favorite" bugs/apps they are eternally waiting to fix. What's yours? And how much hope do you have Apple will actually fix it in 10.4.8?
post #23 of 69
Could you have been any less precise in describing your problems with Safari?
post #24 of 69
MAIL, SAFARI, AND SOFTWARE UPDATE PROGRAMS.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Could you have been any less precise in describing your problems with Safari?

How about this... re: resource hungry - right now, I just fired up activity monitor and here we have typical POS Safari resource use - CPU 38.2%, Real Memory: 564.36MB... WTF??? I have ONE window open and 4 tabs. My Safari is stock Apple build no fancy add-ons or plugins, just what came with the original install plus updates. This on an the last iteration of 1.33ghz 1.5GB RAM iBook (see sig) running 10.4.7 with all the patches and up to date. This has been going on for as long as I've had this notebook (8 months) through numerous Tiger updates.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING internet related takes as much resources as this POS. I have Azureus running with several torrents dl and seeding and it's typically around 8% CPU and 90MB RAM. And that's a Java based app which is by it's nature "hard" on resources, and doing about the most intense stuff you can with the internet... basically downloading and uploading data streams at full speed with rapid changes up and down. It can't TOUCH the kind of resoures the POS Safari rutinely takes up just for the privilege of running one window with a couple of tabs.

And performance? Wow. Click on a link - and watch the spinning rainbow wheel of death, 5 seconds, 10 seconds - finally there. Funny, I go to the very same websites using Firefox, Boom as Steve would say - I'm there. Why is Firefox so fast and Safari so slow when going from link to link?

Also, I've never had Firefox crash on me (Ok, not since 1.5), but with Safari, that happens pretty frequently on often innocuous websites - I click for "inbox" in Gmail, CRASH - poof! There goes Safari! Or it'll freeze first, then crash. P-O-S.

Is that detailed enough?
post #26 of 69
Well Finewine, I Think That You've Hit The Nail Right On The Head With That One.:d :d :d
post #27 of 69
I don't have any of those problems with Safari. Not even a hint of any problem.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #28 of 69
I don't experience the same problems with Safari here either. I have 4 tabs open and it's using about 170MB of memory. Processor usage is about 10% when refreshing 2 tabs simultaneously and less than .5% when idle. Now I am using a MacBook Pro with 2GB memory so the speed of the machine is obviously a big factor. I don't notice FireFox being any quicker though so I pretty much always use Safari in OS X.

edit: I just opened 7 then 8 then 10 tabs and memory usage is only 175MB.
post #29 of 69
Well Your Computer Is Different Than Mine.
post #30 of 69
10.4.7 gave me probs with my two 4GB Imation USB keydrives.. causes the finder to hang and sometimes Kernel Panic. I cant use em anymore
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #31 of 69
Fix VPN that 10.4.7 broke !
post #32 of 69
Quote:

hypoluxa,

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Somebody had better do some preaching.

I am seriously considering switching back if Vista is even close to being as nice as OS X.

Apple has locked in on this all-in-one strat with the iMac for us mid-range computer users and I'm afraid it's going to hurt them. The only Mac choices are the Mac Mini that you can't do any upgrades to, The iMac that you can't do any upgrades to and has a built-in monitor that's not reusable with a new system, or the Mac Pro Pricey behemoth.

With the almost infinite hardware combinations for Windows systems, and if Vista is even close to OS X, I can't see any reason to stay with Apple.

I'm a recent switcher to Mac, moved my whole family to the Mac, and I never thought I would ever even consider going back.

You can bash Vista all you want, flame me to death, but you can't hide from the fact that Vista will be pretty nice if MS gets it stable and secure.

just my 2 cents.

edit: I think the all-in-one is already hurting them based on last quarter numbers. Desktops were way down.
post #33 of 69
Stephen, no one ever claimed we wouldn't see 10.4.8, we just said that it's entirely possible your specific issues won't be addressed in the update.

Really, it seems like you don't read the comments of others very closely.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy

Fix VPN that 10.4.7 broke !

Actually, they broke it since 10.4.6, and it has been pissing me off. Do you connect to a PoPToP server, or what?
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #35 of 69
Safari 161 MB here, been running it for 2 days straight.

4% CPU.

Stephen, knock it off.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineWine

How about this... re: resource hungry - right now, I just fired up activity monitor and here we have typical POS Safari resource use - CPU 38.2%, Real Memory: 564.36MB... WTF??? I have ONE window open and 4 tabs.

I've heard that with Safari some times CPU usage shoots up with flash sites / lots of flash banner ads. I think it's something to do with bad plugins or something (and I don't know how to fix that ) What kind of websites do you spend the most time with?

I hope this is useful. Good luck!

-jay
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApple

I've heard that with Safari some times CPU usage shoots up with flash sites / lots of flash banner ads. I think it's something to do with bad plugins or something (and I don't know how to fix that ) What kind of websites do you spend the most time with?

I hope this is useful. Good luck!

-jay

Really, nothing extraordinary... NYTimes.com, bbc, latimes, google news, dailyrotation.com, metafilter.com, linkfilter.com, amazon.com, demonoid.com, various forums, the occasional youtube, nothing special. The point is Firefox has no problem, but on the same sites Safari absolutely chokes.
post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineWine

Really, nothing extraordinary... NYTimes.com, bbc, latimes, google news, dailyrotation.com, metafilter.com, linkfilter.com, amazon.com, demonoid.com, various forums, the occasional youtube, nothing special. The point is Firefox has no problem, but on the same sites Safari absolutely chokes.

Sounds to me like your system is in need of some tweaking.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh

I am seriously considering switching back if Vista is even close to being as nice as OS X.

Vista has got a lot of proving to do. One stable build doesn't make an OS ready for prime time. No one is talking about app compatibility which is supposed to be the real achilles heal of vista. I would wait for a while after Vista's release and see the reviews before rushing out and buying a pc system.
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

Actually, they broke it since 10.4.6, and it has been pissing me off. Do you connect to a PoPToP server, or what?

Yep, PPTP.. 10.4.6 wasn't a problem for me, however.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › First builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 released to developers