or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Hard Drive for iMac G5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hard Drive for iMac G5

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Can anyone tell me what hard drive will work in my iMac G5 1.6 REV A, as I want to upgrade the 80GB.

Thanks in advance
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac600mhz

Can anyone tell me what hard drive will work in my iMac G5 1.6 REV A, as I want to upgrade the 80GB.

Thanks in advance

All serial ATA (S-ATA) HDDs will work, although the smallest that the model came with were already 80gb.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._harddrive.pdf

-t
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag Me Back

All serial ATA (S-ATA) HDDs will work, although the smallest that the model came with were already 80gb.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._harddrive.pdf

-t

He said upgrade the 80 GB, not upgrade to 80 GB.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

He said upgrade the 80 GB, not upgrade to 80 GB.

Meh, noone reads these things anyway. Not even me.
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag Me Back

Meh, noone reads these things anyway. Not even me.

Cheers, Ive got my new drive, installed it, Mac formatted it but it wont allow me to install OSX any ideas?
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac600mhz

Cheers, Ive got my new drive, installed it, Mac formatted it but it wont allow me to install OSX any ideas?

Where does the install fail, what does it say?

-t
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag Me Back

Where does the install fail, what does it say?

-t


Well when I first booted up off the CD and tried to select the drive to install OSX nothing was appearing. So I went to disk utility and erased the disk and formatted it Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). The disk then appeared in the select where you want to intall OSX bit, but when you select the drive it comes up with cannot install OSX on this drive with a red cross on it I think.
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac600mhz

Well when I first booted up off the CD and tried to select the drive to install OSX nothing was appearing. So I went to disk utility and erased the disk and formatted it Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). The disk then appeared in the select where you want to intall OSX bit, but when you select the drive it comes up with cannot install OSX on this drive with a red cross on it I think.

Strange. Try repartitioning the drive... sorry haven't seen this before.
-t
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
Reply
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac600mhz

Well when I first booted up off the CD and tried to select the drive to install OSX nothing was appearing. So I went to disk utility and erased the disk and formatted it Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). The disk then appeared in the select where you want to intall OSX bit, but when you select the drive it comes up with cannot install OSX on this drive with a red cross on it I think.

Open Console in the Utilities folder and see if there are any errors there.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy

Open Console in the Utilities folder and see if there are any errors there.



I cant get to the Console from booting off the CD can I?
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
iMac Intel 2.33Ghz 1GB RAM
iBook G3 700MHZ 640MB RAM
iPod 20GB 3rd Gen
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Hard Drive for iMac G5