or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google CEO joins Apple board of directors

Google CEO joins Apple board of directors

post #1 of 37
CNNfn is reporting that Google CEO Eric Schmitt is joining Apple's board of directors. Looks like a nice pick up to me. Maybe Google will develope their products for the Mac as well.
post #2 of 37
*drools at the thought of almost instant search of the itunes music store with google technology*

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...LE-SCHMIDT.xml
post #3 of 37
Apple Computer on Tuesday said Google chief executive officer Eric Schmidt will join its board of directors.

The addition of Schmidt, approved during a Apple board meeting on Tuesday, increases the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's director head-count to eight.

Schmidt also sits on Googles board of directors and Princeton Universitys board of trustees. He joins other Apple board members that include: former Vice President of the United States, Al Gore Jr.; President and CEO of Harwinton Capital, Jerry York; Chairman and CEO of Genentech, Arthur Levinson; Chairman and CEO J. Crew, Millard Drexler; Chairman and former CEO of Intuit, Bill Campbell, former CFO of Apple, Fred Anderson; and Apple CEO, Steve Jobs.

"Apple is one of the companies in the world that I most admire," said Eric Schmidt. "I'm really looking forward to working with Steve and Apples board to help with all of the amazing things Apple is doing."

Schmidt joined Google from Novell, where he was chairman and CEO. At Google, he shares responsibility for Googles day-to-day operations, and is focused on building the corporate infrastructure needed to maintain Googles rapid growth while ensuring that quality remains high and product development times are kept to a minimum.

"Eric is obviously doing a terrific job as CEO of Google, and we look forward to his contributions as a member of Apples board of directors," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. "Like Apple, Google is very focused on innovation and we think Erics insights and experience will be very valuable in helping to guide Apple in the years ahead."

Prior to joining Novell, Schmidt was chief technology officer at Sun Microsystems, Inc., where he led the development of Java, Suns platform-independent programming technology, and defined Suns Internet software strategy. He was also previously a member of the research staff at the Computer Science Lab at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), and held positions at Bell Laboratories and Zilog.

Schmidt holds a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from Princeton University, and a masters and Ph.D. in computer science from the University of California-Berkeley. In 2006, he was elected to the National Academy of Engineering, which recognized his work on "the development of strategies for the worlds most successful Internet search engine company."
post #4 of 37
Advertisers! Advertisers! Advertisers! Advertisers!

But seriously, what was that about built-in maps for Leopard?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 37
Just merge the two companies already. They can call it "Goople."
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

Or better yet, App-le... yeah, that works.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Advertisers! Advertisers! Advertisers! Advertisers!

But seriously, what was that about built-in maps for Leopard?

LMAO

http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccom...es/balmer.html
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #8 of 37
Everybody loves one-liners!

Apple Goo.
post #9 of 37
What was that rumor again about Google opening a music store?
post #10 of 37
Isn't this a conflict of interest? Both Google and Apple are targeting Microsoft, and could conceivably become competitors at some point (with office software, for example).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978

Isn't this a conflict of interest? Both Google and Apple are targeting Microsoft, and could conceivably become competitors at some point (with office software, for example).

Keep your friends close but your enemy's closer.

Except in this case "your enemy" would be "your competitor" Maybe Google is moving in?
post #12 of 37
Who cares. This means nothing for Mac users.

Bill Campbell on Apple's board and Mac Quicken sucks big time.

Steve Jobs is on the board at Disney. Almost all software being released with a Disney logo isn't Mac compatible.

Eric won't do anything for Apple but keep a expensive seat warm.
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978

The operative words there are "could conceivably become." As in aren't now nor may never be.

Besides, a conflict of interest would a Microsoft or Adobe employee on the board. Yes, Apple and Google have a few web services that rival each other but Apple's primary source of income is hardware sales while Google's is advertising. No conflict but bucket-loads of synergy potential.

Did I just write "synergy potential?" Shoot me.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCreeD

The operative words there are "could conceivably become." As in aren't now nor may never be.

Besides, a conflict of interest would a Microsoft or Adobe employee on the board. Yes, Apple and Google have a few web services that rival each other but Apple's primary source of income is hardware sales while Google's is advertising. No conflict but bucket-loads of synergy potential.

Did I just write "synergy potential?" Shoot me.

Analyst! Let's burn him at the stake! *calls mob to join in analyst hunt*
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #15 of 37
this confirms google OS, rite lol?
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous

Analyst! Let's burn him at the stake! *calls mob to join in analyst hunt*

*Mob has to decline. Mob states conflict of interest. Mob already sits on the board of analysts.*
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCompile

*Mob has to decline. Mob states conflict of interest. Mob already sits on the board of analysts.*

**Update**
* Mob used Google to find qualified analyst hunters.
Mob "Has made the call".
Wiley Coyote is now on the hunt.
No longer is there a need to worry.* 8)
-ReCompile-
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCompile

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

this confirms google OS, rite lol?

OMG iWork becomes Google office LAWL
post #20 of 37
For all the kidding, this could be a turning point for the industry. Or it could just be that I am *really* drunk right now. BTW; BEST way to submit bug reports to Apple. Oh yeah.

This will bring a *lot* of experience to Apple, in areas where they are traditionally weak, eg., enterprise markets, software-as-a-service, etc.

Very cool.
--
[alloc init]
--
[alloc init]
post #21 of 37
Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the Googlepod
post #22 of 37
This connection between the two companies is causing lots of nerdy dumb puns and geeky apple names (ie: Apple Goo, App-le, Goople, Googlepod?). Get it out of your system software now before people start having kernel panic attacks!

G LE + A LE
post #23 of 37
I sure hope having Google's CEO on Apple's board turns out to be better and more productive than having Intuit's CEO on Apple's board. One would think that an Apple board member who is also a CEO of a company who produces software would make great software for Apple. However, Intuit, while it's CEO is on Apple's board, makes absolutely, 100% GARBAGE for OS X. I hope Google will do the oposite and use this new relationship with Apple to better integrate and better compatible-ize Google's products for OS X.

Intuit should be ASHAMED of their Apple products, ESPECIALLY since their CEO is on Apple's board.

cc: Bill Campbell, Steve Jobs
post #24 of 37
This feels like a significant move. The guy is a heavy hitter.
post #25 of 37
Maybe Google can start making their frickin' products work on frickin' Macs now that Schmitty-boy's on the board.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Maybe Google can start making their frickin' products work on frickin' Macs now that Schmitty-boy's on the board.

I hope that really happens, but did Intuit's products improve when their CEO joined Apple's board? NO!

Hey, I just thought of something... maybe Google can develop a personal finance manager - since both Quicken and MS Money suck major @$$.
post #27 of 37
Quote:

omg that guy is batshit crazy!! he's the one that allegedly threw a chair at kai-fu lee when he found out he was leaving for Google, right??

godDAMN he's crazy:

http://www.break.com/index/coffeemicro.html
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

What was that rumor again about Google opening a music store?

There are definite partner opportunities here... Video, music, search, maps...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamas

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the Googlepod

I wouldn't rule such a thing out... GPS+Google+iPod, baby!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 37
It's about time they got around to this...

Interesting that this is happening now - there's still some time to add stuff to Leopard before it's launched in the fall...
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak

Or they can call it Gapple or Goople. I don't think they are going to merge. I can see Sun/Apple merger before Google/Apple merger.
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank

I can see Sun/Apple merger before Google/Apple merger.

That would be Snapple
"Gawd, even white trash feel sorry for me."
"That's true, that's very very true."
"Gawd, even white trash feel sorry for me."
"That's true, that's very very true."
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dac0nvu

That would be Snapple

Good one. too bad it is already taken.
post #34 of 37
What would be funny is if Microsoft and AT&T merged, then they could all it Microshatt.
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank

What would be funny is if Microsoft and AT&T merged, then they could all it Microshatt.

HAHAHA
post #36 of 37
Hmm, I just had a life-altering vision.
How about merge Nike and Apple.
Combine Google with the two along with Sony, and you have Goony Nipple.

It will happen.
post #37 of 37
A lot of people here are easily amused.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google CEO joins Apple board of directors