or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Show us your desk!

Show us your desk! - Page 2

post #41 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Study at home. I also have an Epson scanner that's not in the picture. The iMac is a 2.1GHz G5 20 incher with 2.5 gigs of RAM. The 18" LCD to the left isn't connected to anything at the moment, but I'd like to span my iMac onto it as soon as I can find where to get the mini VGA connector.

Been gone awhile, but Spline...what beer is that?
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #42 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNLiGHTS

One more:

Is that your painting on the wall? It has a Rothko look to it.

I hate Rothko.

Cat: the other white meat
post #43 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Been gone awhile, but Spline...what beer is that?

It is "Drax Beer" from Romania. I've kept the bottle as sort of a joke because the picture of Dracula's bloody mouth on the label is so amusing. I think it's some sort of novelty beer.

I bought a four pack of Drax from Chevy Chase Liquors in Northwest DC (5454 Connecticut Ave, best liquor & beer store in the world) when I was on winter break of my junior year in college. At the time I had a friend who lived upstairs who was actually of Romanian extraction, and we had a good laugh.

As the question will most certainly arise, Chevy Chase is an upscale suburb of DC that has been around for far longer than the actor with the same name. Link
post #44 of 130
Quote:

Is that your painting on the wall? It has a Rothko look to it.

I hate Rothko.

No it's not mine. My mother bought it from a friend whos a hobby-painter. Don't link Rothko eiter .
post #45 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnns2000

Here's a quick shot of my new desk setup, got my Mac Pro today!

that looks like a render
post #46 of 130
It's not the best picture but it's all I got right now.

post #47 of 130

Not pictured: MacBook Pro 2.16. (it's taking the picture that you see)

Graduate housing on a graduate student budget really blows-- but those tables are awesome for spreading out my work and getting shit done.

(Cannondale F500 in background; Alien Quadrilogy on the table.... I never watch the last two in the series)
post #48 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Not pictured: MacBook Pro 2.16. (it's taking the picture that you see)

Graduate housing on a graduate student budget really blows-- but those tables are awesome for spreading out my work and getting shit done.

(Cannondale F500 in background; Alien Quadrilogy on the table.... I never watch the last two in the series)

Is that a Michael Irvin jersey on the right???
post #49 of 130

Mess on my desk: I tried to made fan speed contoller for external drive so it will be as quiet (as quiet as possible) as Mac Mini. And I did it.
post #50 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM

Mess on my desk: I tried to made fan speed contoller for external drive so it will be as quiet (as quiet as possible) as Mac Mini. And I did it.

Is that a pack of C4 on your desk? That would certainly make an external drived quiet.
post #51 of 130
I had a 23-inch CD once at work - I used it to watch Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs on DVD. One day soon I am not going to be able to resist the 30" - unless they unveil some hairy-ass 42-inch at rock bottom price as part of their movie/iPod/settop box/monitor presentation on Tuesday.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #52 of 130
ouch.... RAZR pic, but anyway:

-powerbook g4 1.5
-20" Dell Monitor
-iPod HiFi
-Airport Express
- iPod nano 1GB
- iPod 3G 15GB
-Skoal Straight
-easy button
post #53 of 130
Look at this mess

Dual G5 2.0 gHz
Apple 20-inch display with the old bezel
Netgear router - wireless to connect to the TiVo, wired to the G5 and MDD G4
HP PSC-2110 AIO printer/scanner - it sucks. Don't buy one.
Baby tiger cub from the Washington National Zoo gift shop
Grumpy and the Witch beanbag dolls
Creative speakers and subwoofer
Logitech wired scroll mouse - one button does a macro to zoom in/out
Griffin Technology PowerMate for volume control
Motorola Surfboard 5101 Cable Modem
Comcast 8000/768 cable internet
LL
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #54 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWAL

I really really hope Apple won't make cameraphone. Just phone, no cameras please.
post #55 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM

I really really hope Apple won't make cameraphone. Just phone, no cameras please.

Who the hell came up with the idea to put cameras on phones anyhow? And if I can have a 2+ Megapixel camera on my phone, why can't I have a decent MP3 player on it too?
My computer can beat up your computer.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #56 of 130
Sh*t son, I haven't seen this kind of thread in a couple of years. It used to be all about the whole "show us your setup" thing. BTW, some nice machines here.
post #57 of 130
The corner segment of my desk, chair removed:

PMG5, original dual 2.0, perched high for heat and noise considerations. On its shelf is a flash memory card reader with a custom aluminum shell, originally for the mac mini.
One shelf down, a couple external dual drive enclosures, one is a backup for the system boot drive, one is a FW800 stripe as a backup for the system's data. A bunch of software and DVDs are shown too.
The monitors are a 21" Compaq flat CRT and a 17" Samsung LCD.
The right mouse is a base model Wacom Graphire, left mouse is a Logitech optical mouse. The one on the tackboard hanging by its own noose is a Mighty Mouse, which is there because it is rubbish.

Another segment of my desk, chair removed.

Basically my second entertainment center, a VCR, Panasonic DVD player and a 27" flat CRT. The black box on the bottom is my reciever for the sound system. The speakers are a couple small Paradigm bookshelf speakers, and an 8" sub, all outside the scope of the picture.
post #58 of 130

On desk: My Powerbook G4 17 incher (1.33ghz 1GB Ram 80GB HD) and my iMac Core Duo (17 incher, 1.83Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, 160GB HD) + External Lacie 160GB FW400 HD

In cabinet next to desk: Canon i560 printer, Lacie FW 400 DVD Burner, DSL modem, CDs DVDs, Random stuff...

Not shown in images: Powerbook G4 Titanium, ipod 4th gen 20GB, ipod nano, 3 older macs (pre-imac)

The desk and cabinet are custom made

PS: This is my first post here so I hope it works!

Nicolas Goettel
post #59 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goettel

(snip
On desk: My Powerbook G4 17 incher (1.33ghz 1GB Ram 80GB HD) and my iMac Core Duo (17 incher, 1.83Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, 160GB HD) + External Lacie 160GB FW400 HD

(snip)

In cabinet next to desk: Canon i560 printer, Lacie FW 400 DVD Burner, DSL modem, CDs DVDs, Random stuff...

Not shown in images: Powerbook G4 Titanium, ipod 4th gen 20GB, ipod nano, 3 older macs (pre-imac)

The desk and cabinet are custom made

PS: This is my first post here so I hope it works!

Nicolas Goettel

Welcome to AppleInsider.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #60 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM

I wish I could even FIND a phone that was just a phone.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #61 of 130
This is my setup at work- pretty boring, but this was taken on my first day...

20"
Dual 2.0 G5 w/ 2GB RAM

post #62 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy

That's why I hope Apple won't go that road and will make something really different. I would prefer more memory (if it has mp3 player) or larger batteries or lower price or at least less weight. Something actually useful, because those "cameras" they put into phones are just unusable. At all.
post #63 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWAL

-powerbook g4 1.5
-20" Dell Monitor
-iPod HiFi
-Airport Express
- iPod nano 1GB
- iPod 3G 15GB
-Skoal Straight
-easy button

Nice WankSock
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #64 of 130
Well apparently my camera is gone, and my roomates dont have any, so all I had was my phone to take pictures with, and they all turned out so horrible, I'll just show you the basics. It's my new 23" ACD and Mac Pro (with ATI X1900!). It's a college house, I live in the attic. It's like a fucking studio apartment up here, except the plaster walls ha.

Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
Insert witty message here.

Earth.ini corrupt;God.sys not found;Reboot Universe?>_
post #65 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

The corner segment of my desk, chair removed:

Good thing you don't live in Earthquake country like I do.

Quote:

Now that is a desk I can respect. So what about the mess! I choose a multi-use desk anyday.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #66 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy

I got one, partly because:
1-it was cheap
2- if I want to take a picture, I use my camera, if I want to listen to music, I use my iPod
3- Camera phones were verboten at my work when I bought it, I worked at a US Navy nuclear power training school then. Needless to say, they were rather worried about anything that could transfer files or photos, no iPods, no PSPs, USB drives, etc. etc.

IMHO the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" also applies to gadgets anyhow.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #67 of 130
Is that a radio shack soldering iron? I remember those days. Then I got spoiled. I'm about to get more spoiled. I haven't decided yet on the model.
post #68 of 130
I have a cheap-ola Radio Shack soldering iron too and am perfectly happy. As long as you keep the tip nice and clean and use new-ish flux, there are no problems and beautiful connections.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #69 of 130
Yes, that's Radio Shack. I like to play with electronic once in a while, but soldering station is too much (or should I say too expensive) for hobby.

Though I wish I could afford some simple oscilloscope.
post #70 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby

I have a cheap-ola Radio Shack soldering iron too and am perfectly happy. As long as you keep the tip nice and clean and use new-ish flux, there are no problems and beautiful connections.

Just for the record, most types of solder I've encountered in the past few years have a rosin core, and don't need flux.
post #71 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster

I got one, partly because:
1-it was cheap
2- if I want to take a picture, I use my camera, if I want to listen to music, I use my iPod
3- Camera phones were verboten at my work when I bought it, I worked at a US Navy nuclear power training school then. Needless to say, they were rather worried about anything that could transfer files or photos, no iPods, no PSPs, USB drives, etc. etc.

IMHO the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" also applies to gadgets anyhow.

Which phone would you advise, that is just a phone?
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #72 of 130
Lers get some more, show off your stuff .
post #73 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpennington

Lers get some more, show off your stuff .

I've already shown all my stuff!
post #74 of 130
Quote:

Just for the record, most types of solder I've encountered in the past few years have a rosin core, and don't need flux.

Yea, I get that kind too. But I used paste flux a few years ago soldering copper pipe with a blowtorch and just for the hell of it, I tried a little on smaller components. The difference was night and day for me.
SSBA.COM
SSBA.COM
post #75 of 130
wow! other people have messy desks too!

we should start a support group
OK this is as clean as my little studio Apt. gets

Mac Pro, 2x20" monitors and a 17" server drawer monitor (not hooked up yet).
Mac user since before you were born.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #76 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73

Our house is two-story and the computer room is a small area upstairs that used to be a nursery. Thats where my desktop computer, a G5 Dual 2.5 lives when its not at the Apple Store for repair where it is now-- four times in the last month, all for the same problem.

Anyway, this is the downstairs computer located in an available space in the family room, a Titanium Powerbook 867 from 2002, with 1GB memory and an 80GB HD. Also included in the picture counterclockwise from the left is a Formac 20 FPD, a Sandisk 1GB thumb drive, a notebook for all the user names and passwords that I can never remember, a 20GB 2-Gen iPod, a Logitech wireless mouse and a LaCie 250GB FW drive thats normally in the computer room.

http://homepage.mac.com/penningtonj/...arry_mckay.jpg

what kind of monitor is that? i forget...
post #77 of 130
This was my desk a few weeks ago. I've made a few modifications since then, mainly got a 3Ghz Mac Pro, a new 30", a new desk, and got rid of a few laptops

post #78 of 130
[QUOTE=MovieCutter]This was my desk a few weeks ago. I've made a few modifications since then, mainly got a 3Ghz Mac Pro, a new 30", a new desk, and got rid of a few laptops

That's an outrageous setup!.. nice. What kind of films do you work on?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #79 of 130
[QUOTE=SpamSandwich]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter

This was my desk a few weeks ago. I've made a few modifications since then, mainly got a 3Ghz Mac Pro, a new 30", a new desk, and got rid of a few laptops

That's an outrageous setup!.. nice. What kind of films do you work on?

Documentary primarily. SHooting a feature this summer.
post #80 of 130
i think you need some more laptops

i will post my set up hopefully next week when i get my new Mac pro
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Show us your desk!