or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › My future
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My future - Page 3

post #81 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I dunno, maimezvous, are you sure you want to be a dentist?

That was amazing. That video was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

For the record, don't google bukkake while at work.

Didn't the fact that he called it porn tip you off? Hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Congrats!

Thank you very much!
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #82 of 97
Quote:
Ok so I have been a bit confused. I mixed up dentistry with dental hygiene. Since I will be needing to go to med school what do I need to do before then?

Do you still need straight teeth for entry requirements?

It would be very hard to sit in classes knowing that everyone knows what a brace is for....

In the UK, the majority of dentistry applicants (parallel with medicine -the schools often operate as one) require basic sciences; a combination of Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Maths with an increasing acceptance of non-science qualifications.

Reading your post, I wondered if you were clear as to what your expectations from being a dentist would be. Is it the pleasure of pulling out pre-molars? In that case, being a vet might be more fun when you get extra large horse-sized monster teeth. If it's a lifestyle choice for financial security, social prestige etc, I guess any job could lead to that route.
If you have the aptitude for the American system of lengthy medical training & internship then go for it! Medicine that is. A lot of 18 year olds in England seem to pop into dentistry rather than medicine when they don't cut the grade. I guess that's probably because when we were all 5 years old, we played 'doctors and nurses', not 'dentists and dental hygienists'. Hmmm, societal shaping...

The most striking difference between being a dental hygienist and a qualified dentist (not necessarily one who does operations) is the route of training and accreditation by professional body.

Alternatively, you might try studying French to improve the grammar of your login ID ;P

Best of luck,

Justin
post #83 of 97
Thread Starter 
What's wrong with the grammar of my login ID? (my intent for the actual sentence was: M'aimez-vous?)

One of the major reasons I want to be a dentist is to interact with all sorts of different people through my day. I really enjoy that interaction. Another reason is that I love root canals. I've had two myself and thoroughly enjoyed the procedure and the drugs of both operations.

To let everyone what I have decided to do is major in Biology minor in foreign language. That way if I don't want to be a dentist then I can always teach biology. Again, I would like teaching because of the human interaction thing.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #84 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

What's wrong with the grammar of my login ID? (my intent for the actual sentence was: M'aimez-vous?)

One of the major reasons I want to be a dentist is to interact with all sorts of different people through my day. I really enjoy that interaction. Another reason is that I love root canals. I've had two myself and thoroughly enjoyed the procedure and the drugs of both operations.

To let everyone what I have decided to do is major in Biology minor in foreign language. That way if I don't want to be a dentist then I can always teach biology. Again, I would like teaching because of the human interaction thing.



Sure, I can understand that. Although on the subject of interpersonal relating, whilst you're standing over someone with a bright 5000 Kelvin Nazi spotlight and a pair of pliers, the kind of interaction you can have is er, a little limited. The only canals I know are in Venice unfortunately.

Why not just opt for medicine? Medicine is a very broad career, and you can choose to specialise in human interactions (psychiatry); just as you can with psychology. Teaching is part and parcel of any academic institution too; the difference about a career like dentistry or medicine, is that the length of training enables tutors to get to know their students better than shorter non-vocational qualifications lasting only a few years.

I've never had a root canal and I regularly default my dentist's appointments now - that was after I had a wisdom tooth impaction. I kept telling her for months and months that my mouth wasn't big enough for an extra tooth. She'd give me a kind of look that reminded me of a drill boring right through me and of course she wouldn't listen. In the end, I had an emergency with septicaemia.

What you say about going into a career because you enjoy human interaction (or have a genuine interest in people) makes sense, although there are so many jobs which you might then enjoy. It depends on what part of your own personality/individual development you wish to recruit and enjoy using in a professional capacity. That's the difference between a guy who enjoys the routine and ritual of the everyday at work, and another who finds himself bored if not autistic behind a computer monitor wondering when he can get off work in order to start his real life.

PS - 'M'aimez-vous is just not consistent with spoken French; French colloquialism entails that an impersonal or formal second person pronoun would not be the appropriate declension for such a personal question which perforce, requires acquaintance and familiarity. For that reason, only the 'Tu aimes' version makes sense; "m'aimez-vous" is the kind of direct transliteration that American students often make
post #85 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Sure, I can understand...

Ok, like I said that is just one of the major reasons. The others being my strong interest/fascination of science (more specifically biology), and my desire to live well (so I can afford the next and most expensive Apple gadgets). What you said is true about me enjoying a lot of jobs. As long as I had human interaction that went above the typical pre-formatted conversation of "hey. How are you.' 'Oh, I'm fine. And you?' 'Fine.'" When I worked as a cashier for about 6 months I was able to enjoy because I saw tons of people through my day and some would talk to me about anything, and others wouldn't say a word leaving their lives up to my imagination.

P.S. Regarding the french, I know that it's not perfectly correct, but I thought it looked cooler than T'aimes-tu? or anything like that. In all honesty, my french teacher wouldn't be too happy with that sentence, and I'm sure I would get a lecture on the differences between tu and vous in different situations. Besides this is the internet, the boundary between personal questions and formality is blurred! I've asked for help for my future from a bunch that don't know me, and I don't know them.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #86 of 97
Quote:
Besides this is the internet, the boundary between personal questions and formality is blurred! I've asked for help for my future from a bunch that don't know me, and I don't know them.

That might be the case for vous, but not all of us!

Lol - "M'aimes-tu" is more appropriate; the personal form is also used as a term of endearment for internet toddlers too. Excuse me for being so patronising
It's funny hearing you say that a lifestyle career is important. In a vocational career, I gather it used to be unheard of. Nowadays, it's all an individual can think about. Maybe it's even rarer for individuals to genuinely want a career involved in helping others, instead of helping and thinking about oneself. I guess that's down to cultural mores.
Nowadays most of us like to consider ourselves as helpful to society in some way (i.e. not sociopathic) and also materialistic. I guess I was definitely a mixture of both, and although I went into a high earning career, I choose to leave it; because I'd changed. Guess that's why it's dangerous for any 20's something person to have a career! The child-like decisions that led them to take up a job shift with maturity

You sound like you'd enjoy any career other than being an undertaker so good luck and hope your new direction takes off.
post #87 of 97
Thread Starter 
Damn it! Sorry about the typo! I'm really not that much of an idiot when it comes to french. I promise. Oh and I do excuse you. Any chance at improving my french is great. I love learning the language, and my goal is to become fluent at some point.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #88 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

It's funny hearing you say that a lifestyle career is important. In a vocational career, I gather it used to be unheard of. Nowadays, it's all an individual can think about. Maybe it's even rarer for individuals to genuinely want a career involved in helping others, instead of helping and thinking about oneself. . .

Doctors are mostly bleeding-heart types these days, since medicare and malpractice suits have tarnished the profitability of that enterprise. In the time it takes to pay off school loans, any doctor could have done much better for himself in one of many other career paths.

So doctors are hardly money grubbers. Now lawyers, them fuckers are money grubbers.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #89 of 97
Thread Starter 
That's something that interests me. I would love to do charity work in an under developed country. My uncle has performed surgeries like that on islands in the Caribbean. It was awesome to see pictures.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #90 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Now lawyers, them fuckers are money grubbers.



What about Sports Agents?

I'd like to think I'm helping others when I enter that career...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #91 of 97
M'aimes-tu - Lol - I always find it amusing when I run into young idealistic photographers who believe they can get their first break by going into a war-zone to do a photodocumentary instead of working right from the community that they grew up and know best. Similarly for doctors, nurses, or any other individual, charity work is always harder when it starts in our home country, in our home town....our own back yard..


Quote:
So doctors are hardly money grubbers. Now lawyers, them fuckers are money grubbers.

Uh? Bad experience with the wife?

Quote:
any doctor could have done much better for himself in one of many other career paths.

Integrity is more of an indiividual issue. When it's enforced through a professional body, we call that professional competence. Professional competence doesn't really add anything to sizing up whether we think our doctor is in it for a (mistaken) care for money or for his patients. I suppose I'm not measuring progress in one's career from a materialistic or pecuniary perpsective, since I'm not sure it's reasonable for us to expect a traditional profession like medicine, to be saint-like, particularly when most of us aren't saint-like either

A doctor's role is more of a caring role; doing better for oneself doesn't sit squarely with that caring role.
post #92 of 97
I have nothing against doctors: it's a lifestyle choice. If my post seemed disapproving, it was not. I'm only disapproving of lawyers who make business for themselves often through what I'd call synthetic means.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #93 of 97
If anyone is interested, (im stoked ) regarding my asswipe boss, he sent me a letter in reply, where he basically took the complete piss, I thought on it over the weekend and handed him a reply to this at lunchtime today. By leaving time tonight, I had been given 90% of what I requested, his attitude has completely changed and we are having a brief meeting tomorrow (something he refused too) to finalize (hopefully) the grievance and obtain the other 10%.

While he might still throw a random suprise tomorrow, it looks like I might have just ripped him a new one and we both know it

Some people just need to learn the hard way.

Next, I go into hospital Thursday and have a wee bit of time off, then its back to work in March and I will be getting a 25% payrise, though he doesn't know this yet.
post #94 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

If anyone is interested, (im stoked ) regarding my asswipe boss, ...

That's great MarcUK! It's nice to hear about all that work you put into that grievance letter paying off.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #95 of 97
Now you can be as rude as you want...

Awesome.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #96 of 97
Lol Mark!

Is that another reason why the British economy is sinking!
post #97 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Lol Mark!

Is that another reason why the British economy is sinking!

YES! It's all MarcUK's fault!
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › My future