or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to roll-out iTunes movies and 'one more thing'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to roll-out iTunes movies and 'one more thing' - Page 4

post #121 of 162
Anyone else shake their head in amazement at some of the proposed products here? I mean, certainly each of us has the best taste and everyone else is out their mind right?

But seriously. I was struck by the complexity of some of the suggested solutions. I have plenty of ideas but rather than go into them in detail, I'll just say this...

Apple succeeds by going with the solution that is simplest to use. If we're looking at some kind of streaming or media server device, we can rest assured that it will have next to no buttons. Settings? Nah. The optimal device would simply let you choose from a list of what to watch.

If they have to sacrifice AV fidelity for overall ease of use, they will. But in general, I think Apple has made better tradeoffs than other companies. While I personally will never buy a 320x240 video clip, it was probably the best format at the time it was chosen. They'll likely bump the resolution when it no longer comes with the same tradeoff.

I predict that any newly announced hardware will be nearly buttonless if not completely buttonless. I also predict that it will be light on the feature list. But in the end, it will still be the most enticing alternative.
post #122 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler


I predict that any newly announced hardware will be nearly buttonless if not completely buttonless. I also predict that it will be light on the feature list. But in the end, it will still be the most enticing alternative.


You just described my brain.
Buttonless and light featured.
post #123 of 162
There are numerious products that do this or similiar things, Google SlingBox or even Apples AirTunes. Pretty much just plug it in and hit play.
post #124 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu

There are numerious products that do this or similiar things, Google SlingBox or even Apples AirTunes. Pretty much just plug it in and hit play.

Airtunes doesn't do this, since the airport doesn't have video out. And while the slingbox looks cool, it doesn't do this either. It sends to other computers, while this new airport would receive the signal and feed it to your TV.

I think the closest product to this is the eyehome from elgato, but even that needs to plug into an airport, I don't think it has wireless capability built in.
post #125 of 162
put in wrong thread.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #126 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

This September promises to be the start of exciting new times for Apple, one of the self-proclaimed pirates of Silicon Valley. And it better be -- Jobs and Co. are betting on it big time.

If they are betting big on the new device, and getting the iMac out of the way early suggest they are, it has to be something more than just a way to stream a few Disney flicks and music around the house. Most reports suggest Disney will be the only studio for a while. Airport Express doesn't move millions of units does it? There has to be more. To get by the lack of offerings, it needs DVR abilities as a selling point. Short of that, perhaps its just a console to use iTunes via your TV for those who don't have computers. Outdated as it might seem, there are still a lot of potential iPod and music/video customers in that group. Then again, perhaps the extra something is what Think Secret hinted at last December:

Quote:
When the user wishes to play the content, robust caching technology -- for which Apple previously received a patent -- will serve it to the user's computer as fast as their Internet connection can handle.

If any of that is true, or even possible (considering the current state of streaming), maybe movie studio support doesn't matter initally. Perhaps it's more about on demand internet television. Walmart already lost control of the broadcast industry when it let TV shows show up on iTunes. When Wally zigs, Steve zags. Add in the Google dude with his ads and you've got a revolution. Of course that would have to be some breakthrough robust caching technology to really work.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
Reply
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
Reply
post #127 of 162
(Sorry about the double-forum post)
Quote:
Since we are speculating - Disney-like device that downloads hi-def over UHF from iTMS, that can stream to any Mac or directly connect to an HDTV (or receiver) via HDMI. It will run FrontRow for accessing other network media as well as iTMS and stored movies.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
post #128 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder

I think the closest product to this is the eyehome from elgato, but even that needs to plug into an airport,

Like I described with my setup earlier.
Quote:
I don't think it has wireless capability built in.

Nope, just a 10/100-Base-T-Ethernet port.
post #129 of 162
What new Enclosure MacBook Pro can have?

When compared to new sexy MacBook Black to Alu MBP, sorry MacBook Black beats the Big brother hands down interms of look ... sad that Alu PBs were beautiful not so long ago ... is there any new enclosure can make the MBP more attractive?

i loved my 12" PB (with VGA) especially the keyboard ... how to make it better???

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #130 of 162
I think the Macbook Pro looks nice in aluminium, but compared to the new Macbook it pales..
The shiny black / white look is awesome, and I'd whish Apple would make the Macbook Pro look a bit more Pro... Or maybe just give us a choice

Even the old iBook had a great look, and again, the aluminium Pro look makes people think you have an outdated Powerbook. Not the latest in Apple technology.
Soeren Rasmussen
Reply
Soeren Rasmussen
Reply
post #131 of 162
post #132 of 162
I have my mini working quite well as a home theater "appliance" connected to a 1080I HD plasma minitor. Front Row def. needs an update but otherswise why are we assuming Apple would need to work so hard at creating a "home theater appliance". Beside a decent GFX "card" upgrade (no over-scanning please), a rework of itunes (so you can burn DVD's for instance) and a rework of Front Row (make it faster and less glitchy) Apple needs to do little else (maybe and Ipod dock? that would be cool). I look at a mini of the sort as a full DVD player replacement with about a million more capabilities all via 2 cables 1 optical for 5.1 audio and the other DVI. Easy and everyone is happy. Streaming could be alright but complicated if it's the only appliance. Airtunes sucks and if the new "streaming Device" works anything like that I'm not buying; Where's the remote I can only control from the computer? Stuttering sucks (and it will stutter) and you have to go from apple to computer then to "streaming Appliance" then monitor. Why not cut the extra step and give people the ability to burn DVD's. (a rumored new feature of itunes) The only thing this strategy ignores is the PC market, but Apple could look at the situation as encouraging potential switchers to buy a Mac.

I love the mini with a few tweaks Aplle will have it tied up... just my 2 cents.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #133 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey

I have my mini working quite well as a home theater "appliance" connected to a 1080I HD plasma minitor. Front Row def. needs an update but otherswise why are we assuming Apple would need to work so hard at creating a "home theater appliance". Beside a decent GFX "card" upgrade (no over-scanning please), a rework of itunes (so you can burn DVD's for instance) and a rework of Front Row (make it faster and less glitchy) Apple needs to do little else (maybe and Ipod dock? that would be cool). I look at a mini of the sort as a full DVD player replacement with about a million more capabilities all via 2 cables 1 optical for 5.1 audio and the other DVI. Easy and everyone is happy. Streaming could be alright but complicated if it's the only appliance. Airtunes sucks and if the new "streaming Device" works anything like that I'm not buying; Where's the remote I can only control from the computer? Stuttering sucks (and it will stutter) and you have to go from apple to computer then to "streaming Appliance" then monitor. Why not cut the extra step and give people the ability to burn DVD's. (a rumored new feature of itunes) The only thing this strategy ignores is the PC market, but Apple could look at the situation as encouraging potential switchers to buy a Mac.

I love the mini with a few tweaks Aplle will have it tied up... just my 2 cents.

Amen!

Essentially, what the mini needs to be a MC is better software. Personally, I'd like an altogether different program for videos (that can also rip content from HDDVDs and BDs), but they'll probably stick with the increasingly misnamed iTunes because of branding and name recognition; this can be dangerous because if it becomes a complicated multipurpose "swiss-army-knife" app that is buggy with some things, then it risks putting people off. Two seperate apps would be better and easier to manage and fix. Make them work with an updated and renamed iDVD, and we're there...almost.

Really why I want a "media center" Mac is because I want them to rework the mini to:

1) use 3.5" drives (you need the space for video content; and FW apparently gets glitchy when daisy-chaining multiple devices and drives--BR-drive to ext HDD, or even (H)DV camcorder to HDD on same bus gets wonky), and

2) have a more useful remote (I am constantly using subtitles and different audio tracks w/ DVDs).

But that's really it. We don't even really need a dedicated GFX card once Broadwater comes out.
post #134 of 162
Just a question, though I guess all of us are working off idle speculation anyway!

If Apple released a device like the one rumoured I would buy one the second I could, and I rarely do I do such a thing. How likely is it, though, that it would let you stream your own movies to your TV? If I could stream my completely legally sourced (ahem) DivX movies to a TV through this device, that would be perhaps the ultimate thing EVER. At the moment it needs a computer with an S-video cable to the TV, and all sorts of fiddling with the software until it works properly.
post #135 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepy

two years of rampart speculation? Speculation about a castle's defensive walls? I guess that's much more fun than rampant speculation but probably not what the author meant.

A Wall of Stone!
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #136 of 162
The... iBrick
post #137 of 162
Everyone is talking about Disney being the only studio on board at launch, but didn't the Lions gate CEO talk about signing up to the iTunes Movie Store a couple of weeks ago?

post #138 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolagp

Everyone is talking about Disney being the only studio on board at launch, but didn't the Lions gate CEO talk about signing up to the iTunes Movie Store a couple of weeks ago?



Lion's Gate is owned by Disney. Along with ABC, ESPN, and god knows how many other things.

Has anyone suggested yet just an Apple move into big screen TVs? Haven't read every post on this thread. And I also agree with the Mac mini guys up above, got the same set up and love it. And on a side note, I have an Apple Lossless music collection and it streams fine from my server. This is the future, don't know when wireless will truly be fast enough for video, but eventually it will be.
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
"I'm learning how to meditate, so far so good."
Donald Fagen and Walter Becker
Reply
post #139 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororca

I think the Macbook Pro looks nice in aluminium, but compared to the new Macbook it pales..
The shiny black / white look is awesome, and I'd whish Apple would make the Macbook Pro look a bit more Pro... Or maybe just give us a choice

Even the old iBook had a great look, and again, the aluminium Pro look makes people think you have an outdated Powerbook. Not the latest in Apple technology.


And it really is about what other people think you have, isn't it?

I like the AL book case because it is sturdy and takes the pounding of normal mobile use. I also like the new antenna in the MBP, which seems to actually work, as opposed to the earlier PB one!
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #140 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2kdave

Lion's Gate is owned by Disney. Along with ABC, ESPN, and god knows how many other things.

Is it really? Wikipedia suggests that Lion's Gate is owned by Tyler Perry.
post #141 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Is it really? Wikipedia suggests that Lion's Gate is owned by Tyler Perry.

That's what I hate about Wikipedia. Any time a person brings it into a subject they could have just put that, or edited the information to back up what their saying two minutes prior.

Not saying you did that of course I just never take wikipedia seriously.

Does anybody notice how boring these threads get when we have no real clue as to what Apple is going to do? Talk about suspense.. I've read all the speculation, but none of it really seems all that Apple like.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #142 of 162
That's exactly why I'm so excited to see what Apple does on Tuesday. Normally we had some sort of clue as to what Steve has up his sleeve, but this time we're completely clueless, EXCEPT for rumors of wireless transmition, but specifics are pretty much in the dark.
post #143 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker

That's what I hate about Wikipedia. Any time a person brings it into a subject they could have just put that, or edited the information to back up what their saying two minutes prior.

Not saying you did that of course I just never take wikipedia seriously.

I didn't manipulate anything; I was asking a serious question. I can't find any information on whether or not Lion's Gate and Disney are affiliated. It was my understanding that they were, but nothing seems to back that up.
post #144 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent

That's exactly why I'm so excited to see what Apple does on Tuesday. Normally we had some sort of clue as to what Steve has up his sleeve, but this time we're completely clueless, EXCEPT for rumors of wireless transmition, but specifics are pretty much in the dark.

Ummm... I thought it was pretty obvious that he was going to release a new iPod and unveil a video store.

In fact, I can't think of an Apple Event where I knew more than I knew right now. Honestly, I'm not even all that interested in this one :/
post #145 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

I didn't manipulate anything; I was asking a serious question. I can't find any information on whether or not Lion's Gate and Disney are affiliated. It was my understanding that they were, but nothing seems to back that up.

I didn't mean to say that you did. I was just bored with the topics in here, and went off topic. My Bad. I was just saying I can never take wikipedia seriously. But I was aware you were asking a question. Again - My bad.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #146 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker

I didn't mean to say that you did. I was just bored with the topics in here, and went off topic. My Bad. I was just saying I can never take wikipedia seriously. But I was aware you were asking a question. Again - My bad.

No, it's fine. I just wanted to clarify. I can see your concern, although every page has a history, so you could easily see if it's been recently modified, what changes were made, and by whom. But still, it can be quite confusing.
post #147 of 162
Quote:
Ummm... I thought it was pretty obvious that he was going to release a new iPod and unveil a video store.

In fact, I can't think of an Apple Event where I knew more than I knew right now. Honestly, I'm not even all that interested in this one :/

I was hoping for more. I'm more interested in what he said at that shareholders meeting when the shareholder said something about a Home Media appliance with PVR, and other stuff, and SJ said "We hear you loud, and clear." It really seemed like they had something better for us than just an iPod, and a movie store. That in itself is a pretty lame excuse for a product. It's been talked about since iTMS went online, and IMO it's not really very Apple of them. \

I was hoping it would be more like the DreamBox DM7000 using intels viiv chip with an internet connection to the ITMS that would airport network to other Mac's in your home. It could all be controlled with Front row. But the networking part would be the kicker, because you could use the rest of the Apple iLife digital hub from front row, in ways, from the SetTopBox in the newly designed "showtime" / Front Row interface.

Basically anyone could control ITunes, movies, a PVR, plug in an iPod, and watch trailers from Apple.com in front row, or "Showtime" from their couch on their TV, but if you were a Mac user you would have access to the whole Apple digital hub.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #148 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

I can't find any information on whether or not Lion's Gate and Disney are affiliated.

This appears to be a list of what Disney owns:
http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/disney.asp

That site doesn't track Lion's Gate, and it's not listed in any of the conglomerate listings that I can find. I can't find any solid information on who are the significant shareholders, but it is a publicly traded company.
post #149 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

This appears to be a list of what Disney owns:
http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/disney.asp

That site doesn't track Lion's Gate, and it's not listed in any of the conglomerate listings that I can find. I can't find any solid information on who are the significant shareholders, but it is a publicly traded company.

Lion's gate is NOT owned my Disney.
post #150 of 162
I remember that anywhere from 6-9 months ago, Scientific American did an article about a small hardware device that contained hardware which the software would reprogram on the fly. You could make a phone call, then compose and send e-mail, listen to music, then surf the net. All one device. Reprogrammed itself on the fly depending on what the user wanted to do.
post #151 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution

I remember that anywhere from 6-9 months ago, Scientific American did an article about a small hardware device that contained hardware which the software would reprogram on the fly. You could make a phone call, then compose and send e-mail, listen to music, then surf the net. All one device. Reprogrammed itself on the fly depending on what the user wanted to do.


Aren't there like 4000 phones that already do all those things?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #152 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

This appears to be a list of what Disney owns:
http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/disney.asp

That site doesn't track Lion's Gate, and it's not listed in any of the conglomerate listings that I can find. I can't find any solid information on who are the significant shareholders, but it is a publicly traded company.

they forgot cruise line and private island. edit: nevermind it is listed. my bad.
post #153 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution

I remember that anywhere from 6-9 months ago, Scientific American did an article about a small hardware device that contained hardware which the software would reprogram on the fly. You could make a phone call, then compose and send e-mail, listen to music, then surf the net. All one device. Reprogrammed itself on the fly depending on what the user wanted to do.

I remember when popular science ( or mechanics can't remember ) did an article about the "future" of cell phones.
it was a candy bar design, but with a roll-out screen, and it did everything. wifi, bluetooth, pda, touchscreen of course, voice commands, even for 3 years ago, this thing looked pretty advanced. ofcourse it didn't account for a popular trend nowadays, bluetooth headsets.
post #154 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker

Aren't there like 4000 phones that already do all those things?

Missing the point completely. It isn't what they do it's how they do them. Instead of linking components, it's one base hardware that is reprogrammable to do different tasks.

Therefore, smaller form factor.
post #155 of 162
While waiting for Apple's announcements, here's some great analysis of why Apple's in the lead, where online movie sales are going, and why Apple isn't threatened by Amazon:

Why Apple is Winning in Media Downloads
http://digg.com/apple/Why_Apple_is_W...edia_Downloads

A Visual Comparison of CD, DVD, HD and iTMS Downloads
http://digg.com/apple/A_Visual_Compa...iTMS_Downloads

The Apple iTMS vs Amazon Unbox Rivalry Myth
http://digg.com/apple/The_iTMS_vs_Am...d_Rivalry_Myth
post #156 of 162
Just found this agenda for the showtime event. They claim its real.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/11/apple...e-media-event/

However, if this is going to be it, it would be a real disappointment! Hope Apple has something better!
post #157 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarity

Just found this agenda for the showtime event. They claim its real.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/11/apple...e-media-event/

However, if this is going to be it, it would be a real disappointment! Hope Apple has something better!

That sounds right on the money. It looks really legit.
post #158 of 162
TubePort sounds b*lls though. It should have been AirMovies.
post #159 of 162
It still may be possible iPhone is one more thing... closely guarded secret. Apple may have leaked the agenda with the iPhone left out so they can spring it on us unsuspecting peoples.
post #160 of 162
"The charismatic leader and co-founder of Apple Computer, Steve Jobs..."

Oh, that Steve Jobs. The Apple guy.

Mmm. Got you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to roll-out iTunes movies and 'one more thing'