or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News flash: Apple confirms media event

News flash: Apple confirms media event - Page 4

post #121 of 230
my guess

1. Movie related annoucement (is it enough for a Event?) so
new iPod as well
2. iMac 23" annoucement
3. any (one) more thing?

(MacBook Pro, MacBook Mac Mini may be updated in the background in the apple store)

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #122 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus

just picked up 30 shares of AAPL. i have a very strong outlook on the next 6 months.

Hey come on, 30 shares Don't get me wrong, but 30 shares...
Say 300 and we're in business. It is a win-win situation, and you're
good advised just to add another 0 to your purchase.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #123 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

What better way to watch movies than on a 23" iMac?

A 40" HD MacTV?

==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #124 of 230
I'm thinking .Mac is going to have some kind of part in this announcement, too. It's that time of year where Apple updates .Mac to get people to renew. And, it's a subscription service.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #125 of 230
OK, the 24 inch iMac and the updated mini's have arrived allready. So what hardware should we expect now for the 12th???

Headless and upgradable Apple media centers? that would nicely shut up all the headless whiners

Exciting times these are
post #126 of 230
Surely it will be new (completely new design) Macbook Pro's with Core 2 Duo, plus all the other stuff, and maybe something new?
iMac - done
Mac mini - done
Mac Pro - brand new and only just shipping
Macbook Pro- not changed much in 9 months
macbook - not very old but might be up for new Core 2 Duo as well
Cinema displays - just refreshed with new panels so no change
Airport/Airport Express - Definitely something big here, these are now seriously out of date and overpriced. My guess is pre-N stuff with fully update-able firmware to the final spec.
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
Idiot, slow down....

- The Tourist, Radiohead
post #127 of 230
MacBook Pro with Merom!!!
bring it on APPLE ...

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #128 of 230
iPHONE!!!!!
post #129 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin

Sorry, that sounds so familiar but I can't remember which Pixar movie that was from?

"It's Showtime!"

Crap! You triggered Jim Carrey's voice in my head repeating that very familiar Stanley Ipkiss line from The Mask.
post #130 of 230
It has to be .
There is no other quality device to watch movies on...

Just like LG but with Airport built in...

post #131 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by European guy

It has to be .
There is no other quality device to watch movies on...

Just like LG but with Airport built in...

No way. Apple will go for something everyone can buy. Apple doesn't want to supply make TVs or projectors. They want you to use your TV or projector with their thing. The iPod works well because it's standalone. It works with any Windows or Mac computer, any headphones, any speakers, etc.
post #132 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

No way. Apple will go for something everyone can buy. Apple doesn't want to supply make TVs or projectors. They want you to use your TV or projector with their thing. The iPod works well because it's standalone. It works with any Windows or Mac computer, any headphones, any speakers, etc.

I understand your point.
But look at Airport Express.
It has Audio out so you can connect to your speakers and Optical out so you can connect to your favorite high end DAC.

I see Showtime as a full product (and , Yes, I think it will be called Showtime) and nothing to do with a iPod except maybe for an iPod Dock built in.
Showtime will have NOTHING to do with iPod. IMHO.
It will be a complete Movie watching product.

I still think it will be a complete movie playback device ( thus including projector) but also,
- Optical Out
- HDMI out

I imagine a Airport Express device ( bigger and with the buitin projector) and this full array of connectivity and video passthrough.
Of course , this is whishful thinking, but i bet iPod WILL NOT be a component in this new Apple Eco System.
post #133 of 230
I can't help but think whatever gets released Tuesday might be another iPod hi-fi-like device. Sure, the iPods might get a bump in storage and a "movie store" may be announced, but I have a feeling Apple might release some spiffy little portable LCD display that your iPod can dock into and watch movies. A video companion to the hi-fi, if you will. Set them both up in your dorm and you've got a spiffy little movie watching station.
post #134 of 230
Since we are speculating - Disney-like device that downloads hi-def over UHF from iTMS, that can stream to any Mac or directly connect to an HDTV (or receiver) via HDMI. It will run FrontRow for accessing other network media as well as iTMS and stored movies.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #135 of 230
OK, so now Amazon.com's download service is up and running and we can see that their download size is 2.2GB... What do you say now about DVD quality vs HD vs what Apple will do?

\
post #136 of 230
I am making plastics

post #137 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam

my guess

1. Movie related annoucement (is it enough for a Event?) so
new iPod as well
2. iMac 23" annoucement
3. any (one) more thing?

(MacBook Pro, MacBook Mac Mini may be updated in the background in the apple store)

since iMac 24" Released

my guess

1. Movie Download
2. MacBook Pro with C2D Merom
3. Surprise MacBook with C2D Merom also
4. iPhone (iPod Nano+Phone )
5. True Video iPod

and one more thing
6. Mac Cube or Just a Mac
7. Mac Tablet???

three more days to go!

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #138 of 230
Cringley raises the specter of Rolo, predicts 2 televisions....http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060907.html
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #139 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I can't help but think whatever gets released Tuesday might be another iPod hi-fi-like device. ....

Can't help either, ... but i thought the same.
Wild educated guess: iPod HiFi with wireless video streaming capability. No?

Btw there is the gorgeous Hermstedt Hifidelio, which is basically a wireless
music center. Heck here you go another guess: Hifedelio meets Movies
meets iPod HiFi. All composed around gorgeous white plastic.
What about that?
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #140 of 230
I'm just hoping that all of this rampant speculation here, and elsewhere, won't lead to a severe disappointment.
post #141 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by murk

Cringley raises the specter of Rolo, predicts 2 televisions....http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060907.html

Wow, If Cringly is right we owe ROLO an apology.
post #142 of 230
hahahahha
Rolo may be right after all.
Sweet revenge for him if he's right.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #143 of 230
Wow, someone linking a Cringely article. Can this thread get any worse? Any takers?
post #144 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx
What better way to watch movies than on a 23" iMac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbot

A 40" HD MacTV?

er... 24"
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #145 of 230
Just called another 500 shares. Apple you are gorgeous. I love you so much.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #146 of 230
Quote:
=I'm just hoping that all of this rampant speculation here, and elsewhere, won't lead to a severe disappointment.

...it always does for some regardless of what comes out.
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
I heard that geeks are a dime a dozen, I just want to find out who's been passin' out the dimes
----- Fred Blassie 1964
post #147 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

Can't help either, ... but i thought the same.
Wild educated guess: iPod HiFi with wireless video streaming capability. No?

Oooh, and a built-in 8-10 inch screen. Perfect for dorm rooms, parties, picnics, etc. I don't know about wireless video streaming, but it could certainly play video from your iPod in the dock above.

Good thinking, Vox!
post #148 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Wow, someone linking a Cringely article. Can this thread get any worse? Any takers?

But, he's fun to read! I've been reading his stuff for, what, almost two decades?

I actually think he's got some good points in this article. I've also heard, from some, who should know, that Apple was planning Tv's back then. They should do that too.
post #149 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Hey! Don't forget I invoked the name of Rolo at the same time. So, yes, it can get worse. Now if we can just get something from O'Grady.
post #150 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by murk

Hey! Don't forget I invoked the name of Rolo at the same time. So, yes, it can get worse. Now if we can just get something from O'Grady.

Not O'Grady, please!
post #151 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Oooh, and a built-in 8-10 inch screen. Perfect for dorm rooms, parties, picnics, etc. I don't know about wireless video streaming, but it could certainly play video from your iPod in the dock above.

Nice.

Very educated guess: An iPod HiFi with build in Airport Express, that would be
a killer machine for a lot of people i know. My self included.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #152 of 230
I'm not necessarily a fan of the Apple TV plan. I think that the AirPort Express idea has more of a market than TV's and will make more money for Apple. If Apple does do a TV what will they bring to it? They may compete in price, but they will not be the lowest and probably not the mid range.

The only thing that I can see that they can bring is a unified interface for Cable/broadcast and Front-row. To do this they would need to have the HD cable built in. This opens the possibility to have a DVR capable TV that sends the video files to your Mac for storage, manipulation, and archiving. They could integrate it with iCal for recording as well. If they don't do something like this then it is just another TV in a very crowded market of technologies (LCD, Plasma, LCD Projection, DLP), brands, and models. Apple's history with marketing, pricing, and advertising would make it hard to compete. They don't do sales, they don't advertise price, and they don't adjust prices fast enough for the TV market place. Sure they could adjust, but they have not shown a willingness to do so in other markets that they compete in so there is no reason to expect that they would with TV's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's products and services. I want them to compete and set the trend in the online Movie market with products and services that bring the same philosophy of design and integration to a market that has almost no organized integration in users interface. I'm looking foreword to seeing what comes out, and dreading it at the same time since I don't have a spare $2000-3000 to spend right now. I just hope that they come out with a product that competes in price, includes Windows users, and brings a clean easy user interface and is neatly integrated with a content delivery system. The only thing that I have doubts about is the price.
post #153 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG

I'm not necessarily a fan of the Apple TV plan. I think that the AirPort Express idea has more of a market than TV's and will make more money for Apple. If Apple does do a TV what will they bring to it? They may compete in price, but they will not be the lowest and probably not the mid range.

The only thing that I can see that they can bring is a unified interface for Cable/broadcast and Front-row. To do this they would need to have the HD cable built in. This opens the possibility to have a DVR capable TV that sends the video files to your Mac for storage, manipulation, and archiving. They could integrate it with iCal for recording as well. If they don't do something like this then it is just another TV in a very crowded market of technologies (LCD, Plasma, LCD Projection, DLP), brands, and models. Apple's history with marketing, pricing, and advertising would make it hard to compete. They don't do sales, they don't advertise price, and they don't adjust prices fast enough for the TV market place. Sure they could adjust, but they have not shown a willingness to do so in other markets that they compete in so there is no reason to expect that they would with TV's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple's products and services. I want them to compete and set the trend in the online Movie market with products and services that bring the same philosophy of design and integration to a market that has almost no organized integration in users interface. I'm looking foreword to seeing what comes out, and dreading it at the same time since I don't have a spare $2000-3000 to spend right now. I just hope that they come out with a product that competes in price, includes Windows users, and brings a clean easy user interface and is neatly integrated with a content delivery system. The only thing that I have doubts about is the price.

I don't agree with your statements about an Apple branded Tv (or for that matter DVD players, speakers, etc., which you didn't mention)

If Apple came out with a series of flat panel Tv's, with Apple styling, and good performance, and a decent price structure, they would sell well. If Apple sold just 100 thousand, not very many, at $2,000 apiece (not very expensive for these items), that would add $200 million to their sales. A good chunk of change.

One thing that has been known for some time now is that people, in general, like to buy everything from one company. I'm getting this also from my friends who own hi end audio/video manufacturing companies. They are all increasing their lines to include products they never bothered with before, so that they can serve their customer end to end, with a turnkey system. This is the way the iPod works now, though it expanded to include PC's.

I can see Apple doing the same thing, from input to output. A lot of people would just love to have an all Apple system.

It could even be that the iPod HiFi was a test, to see if people would buy an Apple branded system.
post #154 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

I can see Apple doing the same thing, from input to output. A lot of people would just love to have an all Apple system.

Which makes sense when you consider Apple as a "solutions" company, as a few people do.
post #155 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk

Which makes sense when you consider Apple as a "solutions" company, as a few people do.

Yes, exactly. That is what Apple pushes.
post #156 of 230
I do like the idea of an Airport HD. Certainly shipping times on Airport base stations has been way up recently. (Before you trash me, I didn't check today...)
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #157 of 230
//image (excuse my usual cross-posting)

post #158 of 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

//image (excuse my usual cross-posting)

Suni, how are you doing? How did you celebrate your 5.000th?
The question is, where does the term Showtime hint to?
Movie store? HD Rental service? Neither both?
Just a title to announce something...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #159 of 230
52 hours to go ...

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #160 of 230
Another guess: An iPod HiFi with build in Airport Express AND a build in HD,
say about 80gig. The killer feature would be a mechanism to (auto) sync with
any given iPod and/or iTunes. Did i mention that the iPod line then have have
to be upgraded with wireless capabilities?

I guess the iPod Hifi line ends up with 3 konfigurations:

1. iPod Hifi as we know, maybe with wireless capabilities but without HD.
2. iPod Hifi Express with build in HD and wireless capabilities.
3. iPod Hifi Video. Basically an iPod Hifi #2 with Video streaming capabilities

That would be very Apple. A beautyful egosystem around iPod+iTunes.

AppleTV, hmmm,... no. Not very Apple.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › News flash: Apple confirms media event