or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model - Page 2

post #41 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer

? there are limits? who is your provider?

Videotron (Quebec company in Canada)...they offer 20GB download 10GB upload for a certain price per month and then they offer unlimited download/upload for 15 dollars more per month...I know, it's a little stupid but I'm living in a 3rd world country here, cut Canada some slack.
post #42 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Are Dell Merom systems shipping any sooner than 2 weeks from now? I mean, if Apple releases MBPs shipping immediately in a week, it's just as good as releasing now for shipping in a week.

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

My point wasn't related to other manufacturers' release schedules, rather that Apple are shipping merom computers but have given priority to the iMac. Given the time of year, I find that decision crazy. I'm one of the few who would be prepared to go right to the wire before uni (and have done) to get the right laptop, but almost all my friends are buying theirs or already have by now. Put simply, I believe this will lose Apple more business than if they had released the MBP first.
post #43 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I suppose FW800 makes sense in a consumer Mac now that it's both obsolete and irrelevant. I just bought an enclosure that is FW800 compatible but I am almost certain that my next external enclosure will be some form of eSATA.

That may change - MS is moving towards more support for Firewire. And if 1394c shows up, that'll be a lot faster than Ethernet. Don't count Firewire out. Besides, the 24 inch iMac also fills the "low-end Mac Pro" spot if no Conroe system appears.
post #44 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

It's showtime...

852 x 480



I doubt we're going to see downloadable HD movies...we're talking about dozens of gigs of data here.

If Apple does offer HD movies though, I'm changing my subscription to unlimited upload/download with my cable company.

It lacks detail but here goes...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...home-headlines
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Reply
post #45 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

My point wasn't related to other manufacturers' release schedules, rather that Apple are shipping merom computers but have given priority to the iMac. Given the time of year, I find that decision crazy. I'm one of the few who would be prepared to go right to the wire before uni (and have done) to get the right laptop, but almost all my friends are buying theirs or already have by now. Put simply, I believe this will lose Apple more business than if they had released the MBP first.

You do realize that OS X doesn't run very well on PCs, right? You can peruse the OSX86 induced nightmares on osx86project.org.
post #46 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo

It lacks detail but here goes...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...home-headlines

I'm not refuting that Apple will sell movies. Apple *will* sell movies. But I doubt we'll see 1080P HD movies. We'll probably see standard DVD resolution or 480P HD movies.
post #47 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

You do realize that OS X doesn't run very well on PCs, right? You can peruse the OSX86 induced nightmares on osx86project.org.

Works like a dream on mine. Let's not discuss this here, though.
post #48 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

Works like a dream on mine.

Uh huh... you're all set then...go for that Dell.
post #49 of 284
Apple is very clever with the cheap $999 iMac. It has a slower processor, less RAM, no bluetooth, no Superdrive, no remote and an Intel GMA graphics card. The next iMac up (for $1199) includes all that. Is anyone actually going to buy the crippled $999 version? It allows them to advertize a cheaper price and cash in.
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
Reply
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
Reply
post #50 of 284
Lack of support from Apple, inability to update, and most video cards and sound have issues. Laptops would be harder because of all the custom hardware...
post #51 of 284
I wonder why 3GB RAM max. It's two slots so you'd expect 4GB max.

Apple's RAM prices are actually kind of reasonable too. To upgrade from from 2x512MB to 2x1MB it's 120 quid here. Crucial charge £90 per 1GB SODIMM so it's probably cheaper to upgrade with Apple instead of the usual route of buying RAM from Crucial and dumping the unused Apple RAM straight on eBay.

Next months purchase I think if that new contract lands. One 24" 2.33Ghz iMac with 7600GT, 500MB disk and 2GB RAM coming up. About £1600+VAT which I think is about what I paid for my 17" G5 a couple of years back. It'll dwarf the G5 next to it but I'll have to keep that for the Adobe apps.

Weird. There's nothing I don't like on the new Mac. Usually there's something I'd like a bit better.
post #52 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Lack of support from Apple, inability to update, and most video cards and sound have issues. Laptops would be harder because of all the custom hardware...

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.
post #53 of 284
I went to the DELL website and configured a Dimension 9200 with a 24-inch monitor. DELL costs $129 more. And, no FW 800, no BlueTooth, only 30-days of phone support.

Dell Dimension 9200 $2218

Processor Intel ® Core2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Monitor 24 inch UltraSharp 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Cards 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp Flat Panels
Wireless Networking Solution Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Optional Ports IEEE 1394 Adapter
Dell Service & Support Plans 1 Year On-site Economy Plan
Phone Support Service Dell On Call 30 Day Getting Started Assistance Unlimited Incidents
Security Software McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial
Security & Utilities Webroot Spy Sweeper - Now includes 15 month license
post #54 of 284
I don't get the 3GB either. I've never heard of 768 MB RAM sticks.

Anyways, b3ns0n - I'm just saying that OSx86 is gonna be tough on a cutting edge laptop. And I think you're gonna regret getting a Dell to save yourself two weeks when you're 2-3 years down the line.
post #55 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign

I wonder why 3GB RAM max. It's two slots so you'd expect 4GB max.

Apple's RAM prices are actually kind of reasonable too. To upgrade from from 2x512MB to 2x1MB it's 120 quid here. Crucial charge £90 per 1GB SODIMM so it's probably cheaper to upgrade with Apple instead of the usual route of buying RAM from Crucial and dumping the unused Apple RAM straight on eBay.

Next months purchase I think if that new contract lands. One 24" 2.33Ghz iMac with 7600GT, 500MB disk and 2GB RAM coming up. About £1600+VAT which I think is about what I paid for my 17" G5 a couple of years back. It'll dwarf the G5 next to it but I'll have to keep that for the Adobe apps.

Weird. There's nothing I don't like on the new Mac. Usually there's something I'd like a bit better.


Agree completely - although my 'bit better' bit would be the 3Gb - by the end of a 24" iMac's lifetime I can see going to at least 4Gb. Oh and WTF is using SODIMMs in a 24" iMac all about - I bet you could get in the back of the case and swing a large cat around; especially compared to the same kit crammed in the 17".
Personally I can't justify getting a new mac until Leopard and iLife 07 are on there though.
post #56 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms698

Apple is very clever with the cheap $999 iMac. It has a slower processor, less RAM, no bluetooth, no Superdrive, no remote and an Intel GMA graphics card. The next iMac up (for $1199) includes all that. Is anyone actually going to buy the crippled $999 version? It allows them to advertize a cheaper price and cash in.

It's essentially the Education only iMac announced a month or so back.

At £578+VAT in the UK they're perfect as office Macs too. I've clients using Macs like that for office and warehouse use. Previously they were using eMacs and low end G4 iMacs. The only pain in the arse for them is both MYOB and MS Office isn't Intel native yet.
post #57 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.

Dude it ain't just about you, or your beer guzzling dorm buddies. The iMac and mini were hurtin' for an update. Dont' be surprised if MBPs get updated next week. It's been reported that Apple is awaiting a large shipment of product very soon.
post #58 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes

I went to the DELL website and configured a Dimension 9200 with a 24-inch monitor. DELL costs $129 more. And, no FW 800, no BlueTooth, only 30-days of phone support.

But bear in mind that the Dell has a higher FSB and you can upgrade the monitor.

I'm not saying that the iMac isn't a great deal (if I didn't already have a Mac Pro coming in 2-3 weeks I'd want one), but that it's not a direct comparison to a Dell.
post #59 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes

I went to the DELL website and configured a Dimension 9200 with a 24-inch monitor. DELL costs $129 more. And, no FW 800, no BlueTooth, only 30-days of phone support.

Dell Dimension 9200 $2218

Processor Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Monitor 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Cards 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp™ Flat Panels
Wireless Networking Solution Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Optional Ports IEEE 1394 Adapter
Dell Service & Support Plans 1 Year On-site Economy Plan
Phone Support Service Dell On Call 30 Day Getting Started Assistance Unlimited Incidents
Security Software McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial
Security & Utilities Webroot Spy Sweeper - Now includes 15 month license

I configured a dell desktop xps 410 with a 2.4 ghz conroe with similar specs to 20" iMac for $1500. Apple is very close on price now with Dell.
post #60 of 284
Pretty sweet... but I was hopeing for a new form factor.. chinless anyone?
post #61 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign

It's essentially the Education only iMac announced a month or so back.

At £578+VAT in the UK they're perfect as office Macs too. I've clients using Macs like that for office and warehouse use. Previously they were using eMacs and low end G4 iMacs. The only pain in the arse for them is both MYOB and MS Office isn't Intel native yet.

In my experience, the hold-up with Mac Office isn't gonna be the Rosetta speed, it's gonna be the lack of MS Access. That's a show stopper for a fair few places with custom databases. Until OpenOffice Base stops sucking or someone comes up with Access -> MySQL translator (or Access to Base for that matter), that's the hang-up.
post #62 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac

Dude it ain't just about you, or your beer guzzling dorm buddies. The iMac and mini were hurtin' for an update. Dont' be surprised if MBPs get updated next week. It's been reported that Apple is awaiting a large shipment of product very soon.

I agree no one expected any new products today and if you look at what Apple did they upgraded/bumped up there desktop line... so who knows, tomorrow Apple could possibly update there notebook line...

And on Friday people will get the headless Mac they've always wanted.... nah that would be to extreme for Apple
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
Reply
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
Reply
post #63 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

If so...I hope they don't have the same banding problems that are present on the 2407.

Either way...the 24" iMac is a sweet deal.

Maybe this helps:

I had banding problems on my 20" Cinema Display when I got it and it left photos looking horrible. So I got a screen calibrator and those problems are gone. I work with colour and have had no issues with it.
post #64 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.

Makes perfect sense to me. You can buy Core 2 Duo desktops based on Conroe now but finding a shipping Core 2 Duo laptop is next to impossible. Obviously Apple needs to compete on the desktop now.

I'd suspect it's only a matter of weeks before a MacBook Pro Merom update.

You'd be nucking futs to buy a Dell laptop to run OSX as you've no idea it'll continue to run OSX in the future.

Since you've already got a computer, why the whining?
post #65 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.

I doubt if Apple is holding back on the MBP upgrade. It'll be announced as soon as they can deliver. It might well be a situation where Apple says "available today" when they announce it, which might actually leave you in a position to get one before Dell would get one to you - especially if they announce it on the 12th.

In terms of the iMac upgrade, I believe that got it to the market before the MBP simply because it was ready to ship before the MBP.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #66 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

In my experience, the hold-up with Mac Office isn't gonna be the Rosetta speed, it's gonna be the lack of MS Access. That's a show stopper for a fair few places with custom databases. Until OpenOffice Base stops sucking or someone comes up with Access -> MySQL translator (or Access to Base for that matter), that's the hang-up.

For some yes. But not my clients. They use MYOB, MS Office and a custom MySQL web based application I wrote.

I'm weening them gradually off MYOB and Office. Everything's going web based. It doesn't actually matter if it's Mac, windows or Linux. They just pick whatever they want.
post #67 of 284
Huge disappointment. VESA mount on the 24" only. No external DVI/HDMI video input greatly reduces the value of getting the 24" iMac.

Just a minimal speed bump on the mini. I was planning to get a new mini, but just don't see the point with these poor choices. Apple could've done far better with little effort or cost.

Hope they have far, far better things hardware-wise to announce next week.
post #68 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv

Maybe this helps:

I had banding problems on my 20" Cinema Display when I got it and it left photos looking horrible. So I got a screen calibrator and those problems are gone. I work with colour and have had no issues with it.

the main problem with the 24" panel is it is too bright and cannot be dimmed sufficently for photo work. I think the banding issue in the 2407 was addressed with a driver update.
post #69 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

In my experience, the hold-up with Mac Office isn't gonna be the Rosetta speed, it's gonna be the lack of MS Access. That's a show stopper for a fair few places with custom databases. Until OpenOffice Base stops sucking or someone comes up with Access -> MySQL translator (or Access to Base for that matter), that's the hang-up.

Or you could you ask the Mac BU to please make access for Mac http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archiv...01/735586.aspx

There asking for feedback on what Microsoft software you would like to see available on Mac and I'm sure a ton of people have asked for access

btw heres the front page for anyone curious http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/default.aspx
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
Reply
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB of Ram --> A more elegant notebook, for a more civilized age

An apple a day, keeps Microsoft away
Reply
post #70 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

If so...I hope they don't have the same banding problems that are present on the 2407.

Either way...the 24" iMac is a sweet deal.

Sitting here with the newest revision 2407 right in front of me and I have no complaints. The banding seems to have been taken care of in the latest hardware revision and the brightness... well, it is a little bright but not overly so.
post #71 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blascock

Pretty sweet... but I was hopeing for a new form factor.. chinless anyone?

Now that's good
post #72 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

My point wasn't related to other manufacturers' release schedules, rather that Apple are shipping merom computers but have given priority to the iMac. Given the time of year, I find that decision crazy. I'm one of the few who would be prepared to go right to the wire before uni (and have done) to get the right laptop, but almost all my friends are buying theirs or already have by now. Put simply, I believe this will lose Apple more business than if they had released the MBP first.

I suspect Apple know better than you which model of computer they need to update right now.
Maybe the Laptops are selling just great without the need for an update.

If you want a Dell buy a Dell, if you want a MBP wait a while and buy a MBP.

Ian
post #73 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe

Huge disappointment. VESA mount on the 24" only. No external DVI/HDMI video input greatly reduces the value of getting the 24" iMac.

Just a minimal speed bump on the mini. I was planning to get a new mini, but just don't see the point with these poor choices. Apple could've done far better with little effort or cost.

Hope they have far, far better things hardware-wise to announce next week.

You were planning to get the mac mini but are bitching the iMac doesn't include DVI/HDMI video input?
post #74 of 284
Gnnnn.... *checks how much 20" iMac G5s go for on eBay...*
post #75 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello

odd not to have a remote included on the 17"

Only on the cheaper of the two 17s. It's a stripped down model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Are Dell Merom systems shipping any sooner than 2 weeks from now? I mean, if Apple releases MBPs shipping immediately in a week, it's just as good as releasing now for shipping in a week.

Exactly. It's stupid to whine about the MPB's when it's obvious they will be updated any day now, and dell meroms aren't even shipping yet! With the imac release, apple beat most of the PC makers to a merom release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ns0n

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

So specificially what model of C2D laptop do you think you'll be able to get your hands on by saturday? And seriously, you can't wait like a week (if that) for the apple release? Could be tomorrow. Could be friday or monday. Or wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe

Just a minimal speed bump on the mini. I was planning to get a new mini, but just don't see the point with these poor choices. Apple could've done far better with little effort or cost.

Minimal on the $799, but more than double the speed on the $599. I wouldn't call that minimal.
post #76 of 284
Well - this is pretty much the machine I've been waiting for so I've already placed my order. I've pretty much maxed out the system (24" 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, NVidia 7600GT, 500GB HD). This is going to be a beast of a machine. Thank goodness I'm back in college for a fun night class so I can get the Edu pricing! Came out to a little over $2900 with AppleCare & tax. Well worth it for the whole package (at least it is to me).

Looks like it will ship in 5-7 business days. I can't wait!!

FYI - the iPod offer isn't available for the new iMacs.



DotComCTO
post #77 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

Or you could you ask the Mac BU to please make access for Mac http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archiv...01/735586.aspx

There asking for feedback on what Microsoft software you would like to see available on Mac and I'm sure a ton of people have asked for access

Seems pretty unlikely though bearing in mind they're killing off VBA.
post #78 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Lack of support from Apple, inability to update, and most video cards and sound have issues. Laptops would be harder because of all the custom hardware...


Hehe, dunno where u was last 25 years, but Apple is on top of all Personal Computer makers, with a huge advantage regarding quality and customer satisfaction. Just dig a bit google.
Also shows that you never had a Mac and have no clue how good its the support even from the retailers anywhere in the world.
Even my daugther's educational eMac with 1 gb ram its able to provide a very good performance on almost any software from Apple but Motion, and did very well on Call of Duty. And it only have 64 mb video card, never had/have a problem.
My ultra old powerbook G4 500 mhz does nice as light server with 8 mb video and 1 gb ram.
I'm not mentioning my new hardware cause simply outperform any Mac I had, love core duo, love to kill pc noobs on battlefield2 or Ghost Recon Advance Warfigther using either Boot Camp or Parallels, kick ass rendering DV 30i or HD at 720p video and Motion perfoms like I have a dual G5 with lots of ram.
Macs are so good that i have customers that come to the the workshop with dead hard drives in their iMacs after 5-7 years of abuse.

Macs are so good as Mac user say, those are the only ones with criteria to critize an Apple product.

cya
post #79 of 284
I never really expected announcements today, although these updates were expected any day now.

That said, these new updates and price drops certainly make the iMacs a more competitive and compelling product. I'll still wait for my Mac Pro though.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #80 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

I don't get the 3GB either. I've never heard of 768 MB RAM sticks.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they put two soldered 512MB sticks in the enclosure.

As for the 24" display brightness, maybe you could stick an anti-glare screen in front of it?
-- Denis.
Reply
-- Denis.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model