or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › iMac SuperDrive problem

iMac SuperDrive problem

post #1 of 2
About 6 months ago I got a new Intel 20" iMac. For the first several months I didn't really use the Superdrive much, though when I did I noticed sometimes it was really loud. It's hard to describe what sort of noise it makes, sort of a really loud buzzing occasionally.. (almost always after first inserting or ejecting a CD/DVD, and occasionally while reading them).

Then later I realized that it couldn't burn CD's. I tried all sorts of different brands, but it always reports a "Medium write error". After searching online I found a tip that maybe lowering the burn speed would help. After lowering it to 4x it burns CD's now with about a 50% success rate.

Frankly, this is unacceptable to me, and I'm finally done with school enough that I can try and deal with it. Do you guys have any ideas? Is this something that the 1 year product warrantee should cover?

In case it helps, here are the drive specs from System Profiler.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Firmware RevisiontFB2U
InterconnecttATAPI
Burn SupporttYes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cachet2048 KB
Reads DVDtYes
CD-Writet-R, -RW
DVD-Writet-R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CDtYes
Burn Underrun Protection DVDtYes
Write StrategiestCD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media:
Media TypetDVD-ROM
BlanktNo
ErasabletNo
OverwritabletNo
AppendabletNo

Thanks a ton for reading this far and helping me out, I appreciate it.
post #2 of 2
If your hardware doesn't do what it is supposed to do, and it is still under warranty, is there any reason you should not try to get it covered? I would call Apple or go to see authorized Apple service.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › iMac SuperDrive problem