or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device

Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device - Page 2

post #41 of 145
All right, that tears it. I'm buying one. Screed: Official AI Guinea Pig

I'll get Grosse Pointe Blank.

BRB
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #42 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham

yer i dnt like da blue icon, i dnt like da album cover/movie thingy, i dnt like it. is there gunna ba an ipod update den?

Are you retarded?
post #43 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

Oh yeah. Often, I can't see stuff that's right in front of my face. I did look in the menus, but didn't see it. I'm pretty sure the search bar has gone though.

yer i have same problem, but then i look lol. i think the search bar u were on about has gone as there are dedicated menu's for movies nd that. i didnt realy use it, but not that many people i know use the browse thingy that pops down.
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #44 of 145
just found a GREAT new addition. At least, I'm pretty sure this is new, if it was in version 6 I'll kick myself!

All songs have "Album Artist" and "Artist" fields. So that way you can have additional artists that are in the song listed as well, without it separating the album into multiple artists when you sort by album. Now, to get to work cleaning up my albums!
post #45 of 145
And yet still no field for conductor for classical tracks. Sad.

Still downloading...
Now there is a separate screen for downloads and the ability to pause one or all. Nice.
post #46 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

Are you retarded?

um, not the last time i look, why, you looking for someone like yourself so you dont stand out?
post #47 of 145
Quote:

um, not the last time i look, why, you looking for someone like yourself so you dont stand out?

when you say "dnt" instead of "don't" and "da" instead of "the" it makes your posts very hard to read.
post #48 of 145
Anyone know how to play from your iPod in this new version?
I'm at my parents house and they don't have all the songs I do, and I used to be able to browse around in my iPod music, But now that doesn't seem to be possible, what's up with that?

Anyone know where I can DL the old iTunes?

And 640x480 that's pretty low res, but it could also be because all computers can't play 1080p, for example this iMac that's 1 year old (g5 2ghz) can't even play h.264 in 1080p at full framerate.
post #49 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

But 640x480 is obviously not widescreen. Do they cut down on the height dimension or offer 720 on the width dimension?

That's my point. They could have given us 720x480 widescreen but instead we get 640x480 full screen letterboxed. I wonder what the real resolution is when taking the black bars into account? How does this compare to Amazon's new service? There has to be some incentive to buy one of these as opposed to a DVD that cost virtually the same. So far I don't see any.

This whole movie business seems like it is not ready for prime time. The sneak preview of the iTV was a dead giveaway. Why would I want to watch a movie on a tiny iPod screen? There is no widescreen iPod yet. I can't watch it on the television as the iTV will not be out for another 6 months. No studios are on board except those owned by Disney. They really should have waited until all the pieces fit.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #50 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

when you say "dnt" instead of "don't" and "da" instead of "the" it makes your posts very hard to read.

yeh it gets comfusing when im on msn/aim where i type like that, then ive got to type long hand when im on here. sorry......
post #51 of 145
Quote:

You can stand out by saying something interesting. Leave it readable. This isn't IM.
post #52 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984

That's my point. They could have given us 720x480 widescreen but instead we get 640x480 full screen letterboxed. I wonder what the real resolution is when taking the black bars into account? How does this compare to Amazon's new service? There has to be some incentive to buy one of these as opposed to a DVD that cost virtually the same. So far I don't see any.

This whole movie business seems like it is not ready for prime time. The sneak preview of the iTV was a dead giveaway. Why would I want to watch a movie on a tiny iPod screen? There is no widescreen iPod yet. I can't watch it on the television as the iTV will not be out for another 6 months. No studios are on board except those owned by Disney. They really should have waited until all the pieces fit.

Right now, there is a problem with 720x480.

Apple shows this on both direct view for compurers, and also for Tv's.

DVD 720 is using vertical pixels for display on Tv. But, without the hardware, it won't display properly on many computers. DVD 720 fits within the 640 Tv space. 640 uses square pixels wich work for computers without screwing around with the file.
post #53 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

You can stand out by saying something interesting. Leave it readable. This isn't IM.

oh yeh can someone explain things like IMHO and IMO because i realy have no clue whats going on when people are talking and using those expressions. that would realy help
post #54 of 145
Okay done.
Gross Pointe Blank
Duration: 1:47:25
File Size: 1.12GB
Download time: 21 minutes (corporate network)
Format: widescreen (CONFIRMED!) no black bars
Resolution: 640x344 (ugh!)
Notes:
1) Also plays in Quicktime player (assuming computer is authorized)
2) Chapters with thumbnails option in QT and iTunes

You're welcome.
post #55 of 145
Quote:

oh yeh can someone explain things like IMHO and IMO because i realy have no clue whats going on when people are talking and using those expressions. that would realy help

It's easy to find that type of thing.

http://www.learnthenet.com/English/glossary/imho.htm
post #56 of 145
Quote:

It's easy to find that type of thing.

http://www.learnthenet.com/English/glossary/imho.htm
post #57 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCreeD

Okay done.
Gross Pointe Blank
File Size: 1.12GB
Download time: 21 minutes (corporate network)
Format: widescreen (CONFIRMED!) no black bars
Resolution: 640x344 (ugh!)
Notes: Also plays in Quicktime player (assuming computer is authorized)

You're welcome.

Wooooooo hoooooooo 1000th post!

Thanks sCreeD. Glad to hear it's not letterboxed, or even worse, full 4:3. I can live with that resolution, I'm much less disappointed in Apple now.

What do you think of the encoding quality?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #58 of 145
I'm not all that interested in shelling out $299 for a set-top box unless it does quite a bit more than my $10-a-month Comcast box. The Comcast box gives me free on-demand movies, a lot of recent movies for $4 each, some HD titles (and that will improve), and a DVR that holds as much as I need for it to.

With music, Apple has a great thing with 99-cent singles and albums cheaper than at Best Buy. TV shows are great for trying something out, grabbing a few titles for a trip or catching up on a missed episode. Movies will be great for trips, commutes, etc., but I'm not sure why I need an iTV.
post #59 of 145
Wtf does iTV even look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #60 of 145
Well, I personally think the Get Album Artwork function is a breath of fresh air for quick retrieval of high-quality artwork of non-iTMS music files. They almost have it right, as in 80% of albums of my playlist (test of 20 ranging from 80s to present day) were successfully tagged. However, for those it cannot "find" they remain blank (even though going through iTMS, the album artwork needed is present). Wish there was a way to manually point iTunes to the correct artwork within the iTMS.
post #61 of 145
IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

There.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #62 of 145
So I guess Amazon.com pricing is not that crazy huh?. 12.99, 14.99 (depending on when and what video you are buying).. I recall many saying Amazon was nuts to price the way they are.. I guess not even apple can bend hollywood to their will.
post #63 of 145
I am thoroughly confused by the iTV. I know what it can do via its Front Row-like interface, but...is that really worth $299? Will people really buy it?

I'm still confused about what the USB port is for. Maybe to plug in your digital camera and show pics directly to your TV?
post #64 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

Wtf does iTV even look like?

Engadget Hands-on with the iTV prototype

post #65 of 145
Quote:

Wooooooo hoooooooo 1000th post!

Thanks sCreeD. Glad to hear it's not letterboxed, or even worse, full 4:3. I can live with that resolution, I'm much less disappointed in Apple now.

What do you think of the encoding quality?

On a 24" Dell widescreen, fullscreen is awful. Not pixellated bad, but fuzzy bad. But of course 640x344 is a bit smaller than 1920x1200... just a bit.

On a standard television, it should look fine. Frame rate is good.

I need to transfer it home. I have the GBP DVD, so I'll be able to compare the two on a Cinema Display and a CRT television.

That will be the real test to answer the question, "How near is 'near-DVD quality?'"
post #66 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Someone explain this "gapless playback" thing to me. My iTunes has always overlapped songs by whatever interval (in seconds) I tell it to.

on the ipod, not in itunes. I presume that you realized the who point of this is playing video on your Ipod (or at least, that is a significant consideration). The ipod does not have gapless playback. Unless you are very new to apple forums (any of them), this has been known for a long time.
post #67 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

Are you retarded?

I think he is.
Jan

http://theFruitSoup.com - http://ColinClose.com/ - Download some free music I am involved in!
Jan

http://theFruitSoup.com - http://ColinClose.com/ - Download some free music I am involved in!
post #68 of 145
Quote:
Even most Tv's can't display 640 x 480 because the quality of the set isn't high enough. If you are connected through your tuner, the best you can hope for, with a perfect tuner, is 332x480.

Yes I forgot to mention the tuner. The better televisions (Sony Trinitron) are good, but yes those ultra-cheap Walmart televisions cannot tune the full quality of the signal.

Quote:
If anything Apple offering this product will bring more focus on Elgato and drive sales to them as well, depending on how Elgato markets their competing products.

I agree so far Apple has not competed directly with Elgato and Elgato has been really good at tailoring its products around whatever Apple offers.

Because Elgato knows about the iTV device months before its launch. Its very likely they will be prepared to offer DVR technology to complement it.

Quote:
Nice new interface??????????????? Are you kidding? Why are the interface elements not aqua? What are these hideous new scroll bars? Why do they not respect my preferences to have double scroll arrows at both ends? What happened to the visualiser? What's happened to the search bar?

Its more polished and doesn't feel as much like a toy. Apple is probably moving away from so much of the shiny candy buttons as MS begins to adopt them.

I like the album scroll, I'm sure I'll use that far more than the standard list. The visualizer is under view drop down menu with the graphic equalizer controls. The search bar is in the same place.
post #69 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse

on the ipod, not in itunes. I presume that you realized the who point of this is playing video on your Ipod (or at least, that is a significant consideration). The ipod does not have gapless playback. Unless you are very new to apple forums (any of them), this has been known for a long time.

Gapless playback is now in iTunes too, I just tested it with "Tool - Lateralus", works a treat

Jan
Jan

Jan

post #70 of 145
Apple give me my Equalizer button back!

This is just plum ridiculous. Now I gotta go the Menu thing. Poor, poor design on that part.

Other than that looks great, especially video!
post #71 of 145
Quote:

So I guess Amazon.com pricing is not that crazy huh?. 12.99, 14.99 (depending on when and what video you are buying).. I recall many saying Amazon was nuts to price the way they are.. I guess not even apple can bend hollywood to their will.

Don't you know by now, it's nuts if Amazon does it. It's great if Apple does it.
post #72 of 145
where's my equalizer button!!?!?!??!

at least the new UI and video funcitonality is better...
post #73 of 145
Quote:
This is just plum ridiculous. Now I gotta go the Menu thing. Poor, poor design on that part.

Not necessarily. I imagine out of the millions of iTunes users very few use the equalizer button. It was likely eliminated to trim down clutter.

Apple could though allow some customizing of buttons to give users a choice of which buttons they want.
post #74 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

Not necessarily. I imagine out of the millions of iTunes users very few use the equalizer button. It was likely eliminated to trim down clutter.

Apple could though allow some customizing of buttons to give users a choice of which buttons they want.

Huh?.. what?.. there are people who didn't use the equalizer button?. I suppose the correct thing to say is that people didn't use it often!!!... but not use it?. How do you listen to music without the equalizer!!
post #75 of 145
Quote:

How do you listen to music without the equalizer!!

On a decent system where you can hear the music how the artist intended you to hear it?
post #76 of 145
I think they're just playing with UI ideas for Leopard, so possibly that's how Leopard will look like. Or maybe not. Is it possible anyway to skin your App any way you like it in Xcode including scrollbars?
post #77 of 145
DUH.... I restarted and everythings cool my tunesa are safe itunes 7 is working like a charm.

the missing buttons at the bottom sucks though..

Question.... does the new Imovie purchases play full screen? as in no finder or file menu stuff?

or do we have to buy quicktime pro for that????

screenshots?
post #78 of 145
I think iTunes 7 has a glitch. I've got an album I imported and labeled 1-25 MYSELF with 25 being the last track number. In iTunes 6 they were organized numerically like they should be.

Now in iTunes 7 the tracks are out of order and I can't drag them to where they need to be, wtf?
Quote:

Quote:

post #79 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme

Then I can see how a movies and iPods event would dissapoint you

Re 640x480 quality: that's just under DVD, and matches standard-definition TV. This is GREAT for TV shows.

You do realize that most new TV shows are in High Definition? So to me it's not really "GREAT" for TV Shows that I normally watch in higher resolution than DVD.

Steve
post #80 of 145
Quote:

On a decent system where you can hear the music how the artist intended you to hear it?

yeah, ok.. like your system can reproduce the music the way the artist made it on their million dollar system.. yeah, sure.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device