or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils new iPod nano
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils new iPod nano

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 
Apple today introduced the all-new iPod nano with a new aluminum body, 24 hours of battery life and more than twice the music capacity for the same price as the previous generation.

The new iPod nano features Apple's innovative Click Wheel and an even smaller, thinner and lighter design available in silver, pink, green, blue and black.

"iPod nano is the world's most popular digital music player, and we've completely redesigned it to make it even better," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The all-new iPod nano gives music fans more of what they love in their iPodstwice the storage capacity at the same price, an incredible 24 hour battery life and a gorgeous aluminum design in five brilliant colors."

With a new aluminum enclosure available in five brilliant colors, there's an iPod nano to match everyone's individual style, Apple said. The second generation iPod nano is even more compact than the original and has a brighter, more vibrant display for viewing album art and up to 25,000 photos.

Intuitive new features such as Search and Quick Scroll make it even easier for music fans to find exactly what they are looking for and enjoy their music on the go, and with seamless integration with iTunes 7 and the iTunes Store, the new iPod nano lets customers choose from over three million songs from the world's most popular digital music store.



The new iPod nano supports gapless playback for enjoying albums the way they were intended. iPod nano also includes Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads a user's digital music collection, photos or podcasts onto iPod nano and keeps it up-to-date whenever iPod nano is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. The second generation iPod nano features up to 24 hours of battery life and completely skip-free playback.



Apple also unveiled new accessories designed for the second generation iPod nano, including lanyard headphones, an armband, a dock, and a new compact USB power adapter almost half the size of the previous USB power adapter. The new iPod nano features the 30-pin iPod dock connector allowing it to work effortlessly with a wide range of third-party products, from home stereo speakers to cars featuring iPod integration. There are now more than 3,000 accessories available for the iPod. The second generation iPod nano also works seamlessly with the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, and provides support for voice recording accessories.



Pricing & Availability

The new iPod nano models are now available worldwide through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The new 2GB iPod nano model in silver is available for $149 (US), the new 4GB models in silver, pink, green and blue are available for $199 (US), and the new 8GB model in black is available for $249 (US). All iPod nano models include redesigned earbud headphones providing superior comfort, fit and sound quality, and a USB 2.0 cable.

New optional accessories designed for the second generation iPod nano with the following suggested retail prices include: lanyard headphones for $39 (US), armband for $29 (US), iPod nano Dock for $29 (US), and an iPod USB power adapter for $29 (US).

iPod nano requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 7.0 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) and iTunes 7.0 or later. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended.
post #2 of 82
I miss the white nano.
post #3 of 82
This is going to hurt Sandisk. Their 6GB player is $220. Now, there is a Nano on either side of it.
post #4 of 82
Black nano is only available in the 8GB version??? What the heck is wrong with Apple today? All colors should be available in all sizes!
The avalanche has already started. It is
too late for the pebbles to vote.
Reply
The avalanche has already started. It is
too late for the pebbles to vote.
Reply
post #5 of 82
Click add to Basket, Click complete transaction. My first iPod! Coming down the tube.

On the colours clearly they are rapidly disappearing up their own colured arseholes. I expect more of the same with seasonal variations.

"We are artists not a computer hardware company"
post #6 of 82
love them!
post #7 of 82
We waited a year for these product upgrades?? Why did it take so long just to get an increase in top-end capacity and a new finish?

No new large screens; no touch screen; no recorders or bluetooth; no satellite radio; no tuners...I just bought the 8gb in black online.
post #8 of 82
um, the radio tuner has been available since the last gen of ipods (admittedly a breakout box, but i don't listen to radio anymore, so i prefer not having it built in, myself)

by the way, to any students still on the fence, you can use the ipod + new mac promotion on THESE ipod nanos for the next, um, four days. 8)

also, is it even possible to anodize (sp?) aluminum in white? i can't recall ever seeing such a thing, which may explain why we didn't get one.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #9 of 82
ok.dumb question. I apologize in advance....

It says you NEED a 2.0 usb. I have an oler G4 Lampshade type imac that only has the slower type of USB.
My current ipod nano works with it, will one of these new ones work?

Thanks.........
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
Reply
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose....
Reply
post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

um, the radio tuner has been available since the last gen of ipods (admittedly a breakout box, but i don't listen to radio anymore, so i prefer not having it built in, myself)

by the way, to any students still on the fence, you can use the ipod + new mac promotion on THESE ipod nanos for the next, um, four days. 8)

also, is it even possible to anodize (sp?) aluminum in white? i can't recall ever seeing such a thing, which may explain why we didn't get one.

It is, but it's VERY expensive, and isn't as durable.
post #11 of 82
The separate FM tuner is actually a much better solution in my opinion. A built-in option doesn't give you enough of an antenna to get a good signal. I believe that the Apple tuner benefits from the cord to give a clearer signal. Anyone agree/disagree?
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank

ok.dumb question. I apologize in advance....

It says you NEED a 2.0 usb. I have an oler G4 Lampshade type imac that only has the slower type of USB.
My current ipod nano works with it, will one of these new ones work?

Thanks.........

As far as I understand about USB 2.0 is that it is backwards compatiable but it will just transfer data over at the legacy 1.0 (12 Mbs per second).
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

The separate FM tuner is actually a much better solution in my opinion. A built-in option doesn't give you enough of an antenna to get a good signal. I believe that the Apple tuner benefits from the cord to give a clearer signal. Anyone agree/disagree?

That's a nice train of thought, but an FM tuner shouldn't cost $50, and competing players actually do pretty well without an external antenna. The one I had said that an antenna extension runs through dock cable so it can be used to improve antenna reception. It worked well enough without it, with only minor improvement with it.

Personally, I don't care for FM, but some people do. Those that do want FM are not looking at a $40 price difference compared to nano competitors (4GB sansa e260 $159 right now), but $90 difference when you add the FM tuner it takes to get a nano with FM. Granted, the nano is a much nicer product, but I think a lot of people are going to balk.
post #14 of 82
Wtf I was gonna get my girlfriend a pink nano 8gb and now I can't! She already has a working pink 4gb mini I got her a year and a half ago, pink nano is useless.

They should have at least done the 8gb in black and pink for men and women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #15 of 82
I know the screen is too small but I'm surprised at no video and no game support.
I'd buy a 2nd Nano for the games and the odd video clip. Who wants to watch a full length movie on 2.5inch screen let along 1.5inch.

Odd Prices:
US: 30Gb iPod = $249 8Gb Nano = $249 (same)
UK: 30Gb iPod = £189 8Gb Nano = £169 (£20 - approx $30 difference)
Fr: 30Gb iPod = Eur 289 8Gb Nano = Eur 259 (30 Euro difference)
post #16 of 82
Meh, looks too much like an old mini...
post #17 of 82
There doesn't appear to be an education discount
post #18 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes

Odd Prices:
US: 30Gb iPod = $249 8Gb Nano = $249 (same)
UK: 30Gb iPod = £189 8Gb Nano = £169 (£20 - approx $30 difference)

Is there a capacity-based copyright levy for music players in the UK?

I think both situations are odd. I'm surprised that the prices of any model line overlap in any region. At least in the last five years or so, Apple didn't let product lines overlap in price that I remember.
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666

Meh, looks too much like an old mini...

Which was their best selling iPod ever at the time.

- Scratches won't show so much.
post #20 of 82
And an FM add on is bullshit!
post #21 of 82
Am I the only one that liked the old nano better? I don't really like the flat edges on mini and now on the nano because they dent if dropped, smooth edges were better imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #22 of 82
I don't care about fm, but I would like recorder. How much would it have cost them? not more than $3 each. if not less. Why couldn't they add a mic.

but they are so beautiful I may have to get an 8gb. Also, someone said no game support? is this true? that would suck, cause I wouldn't mind the occassional game when I didn't want to pull out my DSlite. Still, with photos, podcast support, 8gb, and notes, I think this will be my first ipod purchase. ( yes I know the old one had all except 8gb, but this and the new scratch-resistant beautiful look converted me )

still not as good a deal as the sansa though. ( no video, fm recorder, mic ) plus sansa's interface is more intuitive. ( kinda like front row )
post #23 of 82
'completely redesigned' ?

I disagree Steve, I disagree.
post #24 of 82
I love the new Nanos!

Allready ordered mine - 4Gb Silver - Estimated delivery 15th sept!
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

Is there a capacity-based copyright levy for music players in the UK?

I think both situations are odd. I'm surprised that the prices of any model line overlap in any region. At least in the last five years or so, Apple didn't let product lines overlap in price that I remember.

Prices are always higher the UK ($249 = £132 so that's £189 or $354 for the 5.5G iPod) but I've never seen them actually out of proportion with the US prices before. Who's going to buy a 8Gb Nano in the US when for the same price you can have a 5.5G? @ 30Gb; the only feature you lose is Nike + (yes I know battery and size but iPods aren't huge anyway).

DV-in camcorder used to be loads more because a DV-in camcorder (which all us UK iMovie users needed before Superdrives) because of the additional tax payable on devices with a record function or something - always seemed bonkers to me.
post #26 of 82
It's all part of Apple's master plan. If you buy a 2Gb Nano, you're a cheapo sissy who deserves nothing more than the lamo metallic silver colour. On the other hand, if you get the 8Gb Nano, then you're a real man, who deserves nothing less than the most masculine of all colours, to be worn and wielded by such icons of full black attire as Johnny Cash and the guy from Sprockets.
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

It's all part of Apple's master plan. If you buy a 2Gb Nano, you're a cheapo sissy who deserves nothing more than the lamo metallic silver colour. On the other hand, if you get the 8Gb Nano, then you're a real man, who deserves nothing less than the most masculine of all colours, to be worn and wielded by such icons of full black attire as Johnny Cash and the guy from Sprockets.

completely agree. that is why the average ( 4gb ) has the most options, cause that is what the majority of people will get. ( I don't think 4gb should have silver then by that philosophy? )
post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56292

completely agree. that is why the average ( 4gb ) has the most options, cause that is what the majority of people will get. ( I don't think 4gb should have silver then by that philosophy? )

Well, to take this silly and facetious discussion further, I have to point out that only the 8Gb users will get black, whereas 1Gb, 2Gb and 4Gb users got black before. Also, I would argue that 4Gb users still get the loser treatment with the silly tacky colours, including metallic silver. 8)
post #29 of 82
macbook has taught apple a lesson. people will pay a premium for black. smart move by them.

also, notice how the 30GB ipod and black nano cost the same. hmmm. which one would you choose? i could make a case for both.
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

macbook has taught apple a lesson. people will pay a premium for black. smart move by them.

also, notice how the 30GB ipod and black nano cost the same. hmmm. which one would you choose? i could make a case for both.

sorry for semi unrelated note, but did you notice how messed up the ipod line looks now.
they have ipod video ( white ), aluminum nano, and aluminum shuffle. I smell an aluminum true video ipod coming.
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56292

sorry for semi unrelated note, but did you notice how messed up the ipod line looks now.
they have ipod video ( white ), aluminum nano, and aluminum shuffle. I smell an aluminum true video ipod coming.

which would be a first

apple has always had a white ipod on their large hard drive players line.
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56292

sorry for semi unrelated note, but did you notice how messed up the ipod line looks now.
they have ipod video ( white ), aluminum nano, and aluminum shuffle. I smell an aluminum true video ipod coming.

What the?!? It's true :O

So, I can get 30Gb of blackness or 8Gb of blackness for the same price? Sounds like a no-brainer to me
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy

What the?!? It's true :O

So, I can get 30Gb of blackness or 8Gb of blackness for the same price? Sounds like a no-brainer to me

well, it's not that easy... hehe

30GB... black... glossy... scratchy.. video playback
8GB... thinner... newer... alu-case... arghh decisions
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

The separate FM tuner is actually a much better solution in my opinion. A built-in option doesn't give you enough of an antenna to get a good signal. I believe that the Apple tuner benefits from the cord to give a clearer signal. Anyone agree/disagree?

FM tuners need external antennas, and the vast majority of portable FM tuners use the headphone cable as an antenna. Apple could put the chip in the iPod and use the headphone cable as an antenna. The reason they have an external solution is that most people don't want an FM radio so why add the expense to the standard iPod when you can charge extra for the feature for the few who want it?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

FM tuners need external antennas, and the vast majority of portable FM tuners use the headphone cable as an antenna. Apple could put the chip in the iPod and use the headphone cable as an antenna. The reason they have an external solution is that most people don't want an FM radio so why add the expense to the standard iPod when you can charge extra for the feature for the few who want it?

how expensive is an FM tunner, if they chose to include inside very ipod? just curious. shitty players like the zen micro have it. it doesn't add too much bulk, but yeah they are smart in selling it separately. \
post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

Am I the only one that liked the old nano better? I don't really like the flat edges on mini and now on the nano because they dent if dropped, smooth edges were better imo.

Well I suppose one advantage with the aluminium is that it won't scratch so easily.
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

how expensive is an FM tunner, if they chose to include inside very ipod? just curious. shitty players like the zen micro have it. it doesn't add too much bulk, but yeah they are smart in selling it separately. \

On a per-player basis, it's a few cents. But every penny counts when you're selling several million devices a quarter. I don't see any evidence that the lack of FM tuner is seriously damaging iPod sales, so why bother adding one to every player?

The iPod shuffle is a different story however. I don't think Apple understand that segment of the market at all well, especially outside the U.S. (where iPod market share generally is much, much lower)
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

The iPod shuffle is a different story however. I don't think Apple understand that segment of the market at all well, especially outside the U.S. (where iPod market share generally is much, much lower)

I completely agree with you there. Now my shuffle has to last until such time that apple realises their mistake with respect to removing the usb port from the shuffle. The unit doesn't have to be so small, and (as someone else said) how much more bulk would keeping the usb port really add to the new shuffle -- probably 1cm in length. Apple doesn't understand the shuffle.
post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

The iPod shuffle is a different story however. I don't think Apple understand that segment of the market at all well, especially outside the U.S. (where iPod market share generally is much, much lower)

What do you mean? Elaborate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

macbook has taught apple a lesson. people will pay a premium for black. smart move by them.

also, notice how the 30GB ipod and black nano cost the same. hmmm. which one would you choose? i could make a case for both.

Mean too plenty of people like my girlfriend prefer the nano type form factor over the full size form factor. Same with a lot of my friends. Personally I'd take the video ipod, but each his own, both will sell like crazy.

I'll probably end up with either a shuffle and new video ipod or a silver nano and video ipod. Gym and commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils new iPod nano