or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple previews iTV set-top device
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple previews iTV set-top device - Page 4

post #121 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun

Plasma? ....nah, they're yesterday's news.... LCD is more like it.

I respectfully disagree. Compare a fast moving picture side by side between an LCD and Plasma. LCD's just don't have the refresh rate to handle a premium movie watching experience, They get blurry or fuzzy when things are moving too fast.

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a TV, get a Plasma.
post #122 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

I respectfully disagree. Compare a fast moving picture side by side between an LCD and Plasma. LCD's just don't have the refresh rate to handle a premium movie watching experience, They get blurry or fuzzy when things are moving too fast.

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a TV, get a Plasma.

I really don't have a problem with the recent LCDs, but plasma TVs are generally cheaper than the same size LCD. The problem is that plasma starts at 37".
post #123 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL

I'm absolutely not agreeing with you here. If all-in-one is what "we" want where are all the devices then?

Adding all that into one box just creates complexity.

iTV is excactly what I've been asking for for years. I have a great DVD player/HDD recorder, a great amp and a great plasma, and I just need a simple device to let me see my photos on the tv, select and hear music on my stereo and perhaps watch whatever kind of QT movies I have.

I don't need a computer in my living room since I won't be using 99% of that computers features.

And the best of it all? I can mix and match my devices to get what I want.


To add my 2 cents, I would love to see at least a DVD player stuck onto this thing. I don't see that adding complexity so much as reducing complexity for the average consumer. As it stands right now, Front Row is set up to view Photos, music, movie files and DVD's. The iTV handles everything except the DVD part (unless you want to spend the time to rip them all to your HD). I realize the software that SJ showed us yesterday was not "Front Row" as we know it, but it was darn close. Why not tack on a cheap (really cheap in bulk) slot loader, update Front Row across the board and call it a day? When the dust settles on the whole HDDVD/Blu Ray thing, then Apple could update as needed.

But think about this...you could have one input on your TV that could show you your pictures, downloaded movies/music and regular DVD's. No more fiddling around with selecting the right TV input, or messing with the receiver. I know that may not sound like a big deal to most of us, but to Joe Sixpack (and more likely Sue Sixpack) the ability to turn on the TV and get all of this media from the same source would be very appealing. I can tell you from experience that my girlfriend (and her parents when they visit) would love to get all that media out of one TV input. One for the cable, one for the iTV and that's it!

All-in-one is Apple's thing. I'm not asking to surf the web or record to a HD...just keep Front Row consistent for Macs and the iTV. One box, one remote and tons of media options.
post #124 of 344
This product needs more refinement so I'm glad its not available now. Some people might just run out and get it as is and I think those are the same people who ran out and bought the first shuffle and then the Nano came out down the road. If all this device is going to do is allow me to stream content to it and display in on my tv, I would be better off simply using my old mac with added video capability and a wireless card.

Apple needs to add a dvd player and hard drive to the unit at the very least. The ideal would be to put a 60 GB HD, DVD player, remote control, and give the ability to function as a DVR.

This in no way would turn into a competing product with the mac mini.
post #125 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest

This product needs more refinement so I'm glad its not available now. Some people might just run out and get it as is and I think those are the same people who ran out and bought the first shuffle and then the Nano came out down the road. If all this device is going to do is allow me to stream content to it and display in on my tv, I would be better off simply using my old mac with added video capability and a wireless card.

Apple needs to add a dvd player and hard drive to the unit at the very least. The ideal would be to put a 60 GB HD, DVD player, remote control, and give the ability to function as a DVR.

This in no way would turn into a competing product with the mac mini.

Agreed it needs more refinement, it's just a pre-release announcement without even a full feature list attached! Wait till later in the year, maybe for the MacWorld Convention in January, then we'll either know more, or it'll be released.

Why put a DVD player in it? I'd bet that Apple will allow streaming from the mac to the iTV. If they allow that, you've already got a DVD player in your mac - and one that's controllable by the Apple Remote through the iTV! How cool - one less remote to have on my coffee table! (Steve DID note that the iTV is compatible with the Apple Remote, by the way)

Likewise, why a Hard Disk? Your Mac has one of those. All you need is a PCI card that has a cable-in port, with recording software, and your Mac will do that, too.

Why add more crap to it? It's already expensive as it is; add more, and you may as well get the Mac Mini...

With certain features allowable through streaming from a Mac, this thing has the potential to help me get rid of both the DVD player AND the Cd players in my home theater stack (CD player's gone already, thanks to my iPod). I think that's what Apple has in mind.

Wait no more than two years, and Apple will have an Apple branded, surround sound home theater system sitting next to your TV, with 802.111n (or whatever the next great thing there is) streaming media content from the ITS through your Mac. Bose speakers, (Harmon Kardon for the low end) Dolby surround sound, etc.

THAT'S what's on Apple's mind!
post #126 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrens

Agreed it needs more refinement, it's just a pre-release announcement without even a full feature list attached! Wait till later in the year, maybe for the MacWorld Convention in January, then we'll either know more, or it'll be released.

Why put a DVD player in it? I'd bet that Apple will allow streaming from the mac to the iTV. If they allow that, you've already got a DVD player in your mac - and one that's controllable by the Apple Remote through the iTV! How cool - one less remote to have on my coffee table! (Steve DID note that the iTV is compatible with the Apple Remote, by the way)

Likewise, why a Hard Disk? Your Mac has one of those. All you need is a PCI card that has a cable-in port, with recording software, and your Mac will do that, too.

Why add more crap to it? It's already expensive as it is; add more, and you may as well get the Mac Mini...

With certain features allowable through streaming from a Mac, this thing has the potential to help me get rid of both the DVD player AND the Cd players in my home theater stack (CD player's gone already, thanks to my iPod). I think that's what Apple has in mind.

Wait no more than two years, and Apple will have an Apple branded, surround sound home theater system sitting next to your TV, with 802.111n (or whatever the next great thing there is) streaming media content from the ITS through your Mac. Bose speakers, (Harmon Kardon for the low end) Dolby surround sound, etc.

THAT'S what's on Apple's mind!

I'd like a DVD player built into the iTV so that I wouldn't have to use my computer to read the DVD. What happens if someone wants to watch a movie and I'm playing a game that requires the disc to be in the drive? The hard drive would be useful so that you wouldn't have to rely on constant data transfers between your computer and the iTV.

The mac mini is a computer and the iTV is clearly not. Adding a hard drive & DVD player doesn't make it one. The iTV has better video output capabilities while the mac mini in its present design, doesn't come close.
post #127 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrens

Agreed it needs more refinement, it's just a pre-release announcement without even a full feature list attached!

The whole reason for the announcement was to ensure that people do not buy competing boxes for Christmas.
That is the only reason Jobs even mentioned it.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #128 of 344
So, now Elgato/EyeTV is a dead company...

They could now focus on recording, but that's also a strong point of all the harddisk
recorders (without a computer) out there.

Also the CEO of Elgato last year came to Apple Germany...
He knows it was comming.

ive
post #129 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest

The mac mini is a computer and the iTV is clearly not. Adding a hard drive & DVD player doesn't make it one. The iTV has better video output capabilities while the mac mini in its present design, doesn't come close.

That may be, but add a 500 GB HD at almost $300 plus a DVd player at almost $100, and you're already past the price of the Mac Mini, as I noted.

By that time, you may as well just buy the Mini. Most people would look at that price point and balk. I'm sure that's why they did it this way instead.

This isn't intended to be a computer. And they DID include the WiFi capability just so you can stream content from your Mac. That's another reason why it doesn't, and will not have, an HDD or DVD-player.
post #130 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

The whole reason for the announcement was to ensure that people do not buy competing boxes for Christmas.
That is the only reason Jobs even mentioned it.

That's not surprising... but I'm glad he did.
post #131 of 344
The Mac version of an app that will rip DVDs is called Handbrake, it can be downloaded at:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/?page_id=24

Take the DVD you bought, rip it using Handbrake, make it a Quicktime movie and import it to your iTunes lIbrary, and watch it on yer iPod or through the iTV.
post #132 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy

Yes, the day will come when everything in your entertainment center will carry the Apple logo. Well, except the set top box. Though I will never part with my paradyme speakers.

The bottleneck right now is bandwidth. Once we're up to around 30 MBPS or higher then Netflix, Blockbuster, and all the others will be as good as dead. Blockbuster already is though they don't know it yet.

I get to watch 10 movies a month with Netflix, at my house or my friends. Can't do that with iTV, at least not easily. Open up the mail, plop the DVD in, enjoy the show, doesn't get easier than that.
post #133 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrens

That may be, but add a 500 GB HD at almost $300 plus a DVd player at almost $100, and you're already past the price of the Mac Mini, as I noted.

By that time, you may as well just buy the Mini. Most people would look at that price point and balk. I'm sure that's why they did it this way instead.

This isn't intended to be a computer. And they DID include the WiFi capability just so you can stream content from your Mac. That's another reason why it doesn't, and will not have, an HDD or DVD-player.


Why add a 500 GB HD? Apple can simply put a 60 GB HD and a regular DVD drive for $100 which still adds up to $200 less than the low end mac mini. If people want more hard drive space they can simply add a usb hard drive like people already do with the mac mini.

Competing products to iTV currently: http://www.zensonic.com/z500_overview.php
http://www.buildyourowncomputer.com/...PROD/J5/13184B
post #134 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

The whole reason for the announcement was to ensure that people do not buy competing boxes for Christmas.
That is the only reason Jobs even mentioned it.

Hand > Forehead > SMACK!

Of course. I was trying to figure out why Steve would do such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive

So, now Elgato/EyeTV is a dead company...

I disagree.
Although I understand where you're going, now that TV shows and movies are available from IT(formerly M)S without commercials, who'd buy a $150 widget that does the same thing with commercials, right?
I see that point but Elgato widgets have mobility on their side plus, most importantly, US broadband is thoroughly lacking for the time being.
Pulling shows off the air is highly convenient in areas where broadband is lacking or missing.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #135 of 344
The iTV is a nice idea, but so was the cube...anyone remember that?

The iTV will tank in its present form. Period. Why am I (or the typical consumer) going to pay $300 so that I can watch sub-standard video downloaded onto my Mac, broadcast to my overpriced/under-featured iTV to watch 640x480 video on my 50" screen TV with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound system????

I can hear a big fat "DOH!" right now. My only hope is that Steve really *gets* it and that this is just the first forray to keep the MPAA happy, and his plans are to turn this device into a worthwhile product rather than another waste of time and money.

My prediction; the iTV (or any competing device) will only take off if:
  • You can download DVD quality video in Dolby5.1/THX
  • It can replace at the very least a basic DVR
  • Offers a legitimate alternative to Cable Companies On-Demand Rentals

I mean really, the entertainment world is gearing up for the next revolution in quality and it's called Hi-Def, so who really wants something that is a step back in quality and you're paying more money to boot?

fuzz_ball
post #136 of 344
If the iTV didn't have HD capability right now, they would not have bothered with HDMI and component connections. They could have slapped in VGA and S-video a great deal more inexpensively.

Apple != idiots.

Come on now.

Edit: I'm having issues with the word they today.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #137 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCreeD

Apple != idiots.

Come on now.

Edit: I'm having issues with the word they today.

1) I never said Apple is full of idiots.
2) Just because they are not idiots, doesn't mean they can't release a bad product (e.g. the Cube)
3) Yes, it has HDMI, but then my Gamecube has broadband capabilities built-in that were never fully used.
4) Like I said, I hope the reason for this neutered first version was simply to keep the TV/Movie execs happy and that Steve is ferverishly working them over to the reality of what consumers want.
5) We all have issues once in a while, so you're not alone

fuzz_ball
post #138 of 344
So, considering the fact that Apple's Q1 2007 ends December 31st 2006, when do you think the product will be released? Is this why they announced it now (only a month or two away vs almost 6)?
post #139 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz_ball

1) I never said Apple is full of idiots.
2) Just because they are not idiots, doesn't mean they can't release a bad product (e.g. the Cube)

I thought the only major problem with the Cube was the price. I don't think anyone is saying that Apple can't make a bad product, but I didn't think the Cube was bad.

Apple generally seems to make nice products, though I don't think the Mighty Mouse is good.
post #140 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz_ball

1) I never said Apple is full of idiots.
2) Just because they are not idiots, doesn't mean they can't release a bad product (e.g. the Cube)
3) Yes, it has HDMI, but then my Gamecube has broadband capabilities built-in that were never fully used.
4) Like I said, I hope the reason for this neutered first version was simply to keep the TV/Movie execs happy and that Steve is ferverishly working them over to the reality of what consumers want.
5) We all have issues once in a while, so you're not alone

Okay, fair enough, did not mean to put words in your mouth. On #3, you're kind of sidestepping here. Let me restate what I said before, but differently. For 640x480 video, HDMI and component video outs are awfully high bandwidth/quality ports for such low quality source. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
On #4, I don't think Apple or Steve work like that. Look, the entertainment execs, fully and completely chickened out of having their content available on Day One. (Either that or Jobs/Iger decided for Disney to be the premiere content provider and everyone else will be let in when the holiday shopping season starts in Oct./Nov.).
There was a story on Engadget or Gizmodo, where the guys were seeing a demo of the unit and asked to see the settings such screen resolution. The Apple demonstrator essentially said "not today, maybe later."
I'll cut to the chase:
Later spring 2007
-Library content, DVD-quality $9.99
-Debut content, DVD-quality $14.99
-Library content, HD-quailty $18.99
-Debut content, HD-quailty $24.99

Boom! All of a sudden, iTunes is competing directly with Blu-ray and HD-DVD sales at essentially the same price and the iTV will handle both resolutions.

You can buy HD content today for $19.99, but can you get a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player for $300? Nope. Not until, at the earliest, the '07 holiday shopping season.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #141 of 344
FRAK! DP.


Oh and the Cube was a marketing failure not an engineering one.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #142 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolagp

So, considering the fact that Apple's Q1 2007 ends December 31st 2006, when do you think the product will be released? Is this why they announced it now (only a month or two away vs almost 6)?

They were referring to calendar year.
post #143 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

They were referring to calendar year.


what makes you so sure?
post #144 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCreeD

Later spring 2007
-Library content, DVD-quality $9.99
-Debut content, DVD-quality $14.99
-Library content, HD-quailty $18.99
-Debut content, HD-quailty $24.99

Boom! All of a sudden, iTunes is competing directly with Blu-ray and HD-DVD sales at essentially the same price and the iTV will handle both resolutions.

Could be, but what about download times? I don't see internet speeds being fast enough to make HD downloads feasible. An HD movie is going to be what - 10 gigabytes? More? How many days will it take the average person to download?
post #145 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I thought the only major problem with the Cube was the price. I don't think anyone is saying that Apple can't make a bad product, but I didn't think the Cube was bad.

Apple generally seems to make nice products, though I don't think the Mighty Mouse is good.

True, if you ignore cost the Cube was not a "bad" product. However, unless you have money to burn, cost is a major factor. We don't have hydrogen powered cars (for many reasons) but a big one is cost. BMW just announced their first hydro/hybrid, but due to the cost, they will only release it on their high-end model, as a lease, to various companies only.

What am I trying to say? Well a product is directly tied to its cost and if you can't make something at a price that people will buy it for, then it's a "bad" product in that it will fail, and the market will be like "wow, shiny neat object, but way too much money" and simply move on. However, I digress.

The issue is the iTV, and as I stated, given its currently announced capabilities, I believe it will be a big belly-flop. That said, I also believe (and hope) that Apple is working to bring something to market that will fit more in line with what I *believe* the home-theater market would readily accept and rush out to buy.

Since Apple doesn't like to pre-announce stuff, I'm hoping the "one more thing" is that this new device is actually capable of more than has been revealed. Time will tell...
post #146 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolagp

what makes you so sure?

I watched the presentation.

He did say first quarter of calendar year 2007.
post #147 of 344
I'm currently in the market for a media center PC, but am waiting for one to appear with an HD-DVD drive.

The iTV could be an ideal device for people like me, but I have a nasty feeling it's going to be a locked device and not open to user added codecs and updates. Without xVid, DIVX and the other very common internet video standards I just can't see it being much use to me. I'd end up transcoding all my video as I do when I take my iPod away on long journeys, and that's absolutely no fun at all.

I also think the lack of an HD-DVD drive (or even blu-ray for the Sony fanboys) is brave, but may prove to be a mistake. The kind of people who have big flat screen TVs with HDMI connections are going to be looking for HD content (and to buy an HD-DVD player), and that seems somewhat impractical with the crappy boradband speeds most of us have right now. Can you imagine downloading a 15gb movie file? That's going to take some time, and your HD is going to be complaining rather quickly. Hardly surprising Apple are sticking to SD resolutions, but that's something I'm particularly interested in paying for any more.

So yeah, it's brave but flawed. Still, it's 1st gen and things will surely get better.
post #148 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrens

The Mac version of an app that will rip DVDs is called Handbrake, it can be downloaded at:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/?page_id=24

Take the DVD you bought, rip it using Handbrake, make it a Quicktime movie and import it to your iTunes lIbrary, and watch it on yer iPod or through the iTV.

...or just take the DVD you bought, pop it in your DVD player, and watch it.

Multiply the time it takes to rip a DVD (on the order of 40 minutes to a couple of hours depending on what codec you prefer) by the number of DVDs you own, add to that the time to label your video files with all the information required to search your collection in various and sundry ways, add to that the time it takes to set up a wireless file server, add to that the time it takes to keep adding more hard drives to your wireless server as your collection grows, and add to that the time spent cursing your wireless network because of hiccups and random disappearances, etc, etc.

I just don't understand why the average consumer would want to complicate their life this way...

Don't get me wrong, I currently have a similar setup for my MP3 collection (MP3 file server hooked up to a Sonos wireless audio network). But I'm a very technically inclined person, and I still find it a lot of work to maintain at times. I could never see the average consumer maintaining something that complicated.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #149 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest

Why add a 500 GB HD? Apple can simply put a 60 GB HD and a regular DVD drive for $100 which still adds up to $200 less than the low end mac mini. If people want more hard drive space they can simply add a usb hard drive like people already do with the mac mini.

Competing products to iTV currently: http://www.zensonic.com/z500_overview.php
http://www.buildyourowncomputer.com/...PROD/J5/13184B

Because a 60 Gb won't be big enough for HD content, and that's what all these geeks in this forum are howling for.

And I don't NEED an HD and Optical drive inside this baby. That's why it has wifi, so I can stream it from my Mac. Apple doesn't want to dilute the central hub of Steve's vision, and that's the Mac, not a set-top box appliance.

I don't care what products are competing, either. Neither does Apple. There were plenty of mp3 players on the market when they released the first iPod, too.

What they are doing, in my opinion, is putting out a product that will, like the original iPod, kick off the market, and get Apple's foot in the door. First, if I am to believe all the rumor sites, Apple has to convince the studios that their business model will fly. Remember the original iPod? Small 5 GB footprint, b&w screen? Not, in and of itself, very exciting.

But it was integrated with the ITMS and the Mac computers running iTunes, and it was that integration that kicked it off from the git go. So is the iTV. You'll notice that the iPod is greatly enhanced from the first generation, right?

What makes you think they won't do that for the iTV? This is, for the want of a better term, a trial balloon. Apple wants to send it up the flagpole and see how many salute. If it gets a good reception, they'll give it a big send-off. If not, it'll get delayed until they can improve it. You think Apple doesn't have folks trolling these forums to find out what their prime targets think about it?

In the meantime, like I said, there are enough folks on here complaining about the cost at just $300. Add even a 60 GB HD and an optical drive, (with the requisite controlling electronics - and the redesign of the case to accommodate the drives) and the cost goes up to over 4 or 500 bucks. (If you think they can hold the cost down to under a $100 increase after redesigning the case you're dreaming.) Then how many will buy it?

I didn't think so.
post #150 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

Could be, but what about download times? I don't see internet speeds being fast enough to make HD downloads feasible. An HD movie is going to be what - 10 gigabytes? More? How many days will it take the average person to download?


Considering people sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours, commute 1-2 hours, I'd say this is plenty of time to have a couple movies download by the time you get home to watch them.

It's NetFLIX minus the postal service, basically (plus you own it).
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
Reply
post #151 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio

...or just take the DVD you bought, pop it in your DVD player, and watch it.

Multiply the time it takes to rip a DVD (on the order of 40 minutes to a couple of hours depending on what codec you prefer) by the number of DVDs you own, add to that the time to label your video files with all the information required to search your collection in various and sundry ways, add to that the time it takes to set up a wireless file server, add to that the time it takes to keep adding more hard drives to your wireless server as your collection grows, and add to that the time spent cursing your wireless network because of hiccups and random disappearances, etc, etc.

I just don't understand why the average consumer would want to complicate their life this way...

Don't get me wrong, I currently have a similar setup for my MP3 collection (MP3 file server hooked up to a Sonos wireless audio network). But I'm a very technically inclined person, and I still find it a lot of work to maintain at times. I could never see the average consumer maintaining something that complicated.

Personally, I agree with you, but there were a lot of folks talking like they wanted to go that route, so I just provided the link.

With Front row, and its access to the DVD player, that's the route I'd go, too. I have better things to do with my time and disk space than rip DVD's, thankyouverymuch!
post #152 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio

...or just take the DVD you bought, pop it in your DVD player, and watch it.

Or just buy it on iTunes in the first place and watch it after a suitable amount is buffered. The average consumer lets Apple manage the servers and the library. As long as they have internet connection they have access. The only thing on the local machine would be home movies...and even there it might be on a .mac server accessible via iTunes as well.

Vinea
post #153 of 344
I saw the iTV proto and thought why can't it be integrated into the Mac mini? I am going to use my parents for an example. They are not going to want to change the input to the iTV, then have to trek over to the computer to put in a DVD. I know that my parents would probably use the computer in the house more if it were on the TV. And they would totally take advantage if it incorporated some form of DVR facility.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #154 of 344
I don't like to rain on the parade, but this is plain old needless complication. Buying or renting a DVD is easier.

The closest analogy for iTV so far is "video on demand", but even there the comparison is bad because (A) you pay more for it, but you "own" it, (B) you "own" it but cannot do anything with it but watch it on your streaming video whozit or iPod.

A DVD can be resold, given away as a gift, etc., etc. Having a physical object of some value is more important for re-use. Even people who buy a lot of songs from iTunes admit it's better to own the physical CD as a backup.

Incomplete pass!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #155 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq

Considering people sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours, commute 1-2 hours, I'd say this is plenty of time to have a couple movies download by the time you get home to watch them.

It's NetFLIX minus the postal service, basically (plus you own it).

Don't forget, $14.99 for one movie on one computer versus $14.99 for 10 movies a month watchable at home, in the car, or when we get to the ski cabin.
post #156 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea

Or just buy it on iTunes in the first place and watch it after a suitable amount is buffered. The average consumer lets Apple manage the servers and the library. As long as they have internet connection they have access. The only thing on the local machine would be home movies...and even there it might be on a .mac server accessible via iTunes as well.

Vinea

People already have their DVD players. Does it make sense to go out and buy another device that does the same thing, buy movies that only plays on your computer, backup that movie, have yet another format for my movie media? I think I will wait until HD-DVD, Blue-Ray, or whatever sorts itself out and see what gets the best bang for my bucks.
post #157 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123

People already have their DVD players. Does it make sense to go out and buy another device that does the same thing, buy movies that only plays on your computer, backup that movie, have yet another format for my movie media? I think I will wait until HD-DVD, Blue-Ray, or whatever sorts itself out and see what gets the best bang for my bucks.

Exactly my point.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #158 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123

People already have their DVD players. Does it make sense to go out and buy another device that does the same thing, buy movies that only plays on your computer, backup that movie, have yet another format for my movie media? I think I will wait until HD-DVD, Blue-Ray, or whatever sorts itself out and see what gets the best bang for my bucks.

The point is that there wouldn't be any media except for some buffering on the local PC. Not as compelling for DVD but much more so for HD content ESPECIALLY with the idiotic format war and the war between Comcast and telcos like Verizon. 15Mbps FiOS for $45/mo and streamed HD is a reality if you can live with a couple minutes worth of buffering while you make popcorn.

Vinea
post #159 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea

The point is that there wouldn't be any media except for some buffering on the local PC. Not as compelling for DVD but much more so for HD content ESPECIALLY with the idiotic format war and the war between Comcast and telcos like Verizon. 15Mbps FiOS for $45/mo and streamed HD is a reality if you can live with a couple minutes worth of buffering while you make popcorn.

Vinea

Y'know, if there was a LOT more worthwhile "on demand" programming, that might make it worthwhile... such as sporting events, concerts, seminars & conferences... Perhaps these are the REAL target products for iTV, not movies... hmmmm. If you combine that with yer 24" iMac (with iChat), or your iPad... that makes for a more compelling experience!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #160 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Y'know, if there was a LOT more worthwhile "on demand" programming, that might make it worthwhile... such as sporting events, concerts, seminars & conferences... Perhaps these are the REAL target products for iTV, not movies... hmmmm. If you combine that with yer 24" iMac (with iChat), or your iPad... that makes for a more compelling experience!

NFL highlights will be on iTunes for 2006. ESPN is owned by Disney.

24" is far too small for HDTV at normal seating distances.

Vinea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple previews iTV set-top device