Originally Posted by SpamSandwich
- Did you read the PDF report you linked to? The headline in that PDF is the following: "Broadband Deployment Is Extensive throughout the United States, but It Is Difficult to Assess the Extent of Deployment Gaps in Rural Areas". Translation--- that report is loaded with estimates, not hard figures, Vin.
The latest figures are only 17% of Americans still live in rural areas. So for the other 83% of us the possibility of broadband are decent. Even in rural areas broadband isn't non-existant. Which part of 17-20% confuses you?
They say difficult to assess the extent. Not that it was non-existant. Given these are based on FCC required reports the data doesn't get any better than this.
"In July 2005, FCC found that 99 percent of the countrys population lives in
the 95 percent of zip codes where at least one provider reported to FCC
that it serves at least one high-speed subscriber as of December 31, 2004. In
83 percent of the nations zip codes, FCC noted that subscribers are served
by more than one provider, and the commission noted that for roughly 40
percent of zip codes in the United States, there are five or more providers
reporting high-speed lines in service."
99% of the pop lives somewhere where at least one person in thier zip code is getting broadband service.
- It also states, right at the beginning of the article: "About 30 million American households have adopted broadband service...", that was in 2005. Households, not individuals...
Yes. That's a good number as there are multiple users per household. Plus the figures are much higher in 2006. 48% of online households have broadband as of 2005.
- It continues--- "companies do not report the number of subscribers served or whether subscribers are business or residential within each zip code..." I'm assuming most of the broadband use in the US at this time is assigned to businesses, not individual households. Try as you might to prove otherwise, experience has shown me most families do not have the household budget to throw money into broadband, I see many more families with cable TV than broadband.
Broadband penetration of businesses are listed seperately. Broadband is up to 89% of business users now. Assume what you want but you are wrong.
Plus you ignored the previous line:
"Based on the modifications to the filing requirements FCC implemented,
FCC collects, through its Form 477 filings, information on several aspects
of each companys provision of broadband at the state level, such as the
total number of subscribers served, the breakdown of how those
subscribers are served by technology, and estimates within each
technology of the percentage of subscribers that are residential. "
They DO report which are residential vs business...just NOT on a by zipcode basis.
- Yes, consumers seem to be in a wait and see posture regarding HD-DVD and Blu-Ray that is obvious. iTV still doesn't address ease of use issues and assumes high percentages of dissatisfaction with readily available DVD solutions.
I wonder about the conclusions you are drawing based on evidence you are really scraping hard to find, Vinea.
You're seeing the trees you want to see, and completely failing to see the forest the consumer sees.
I wonder about your obtuseness and why given hard evidence from the GAO from FCC reports you still assert that broadband penetration is poor (it is but in percentage...we have more broadband users than any other country in the world). Seeing what I want to see? That's the kettle calling the pot black. Which part of 73% of all online users have broadband is hard to understand?
Really hard to scrape? Its called Google. But given how net savvy you appear to be I guess for you that is hard to do.