or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Notes: Apple renames iTunes store, acquires Cover Flow

Notes: Apple renames iTunes store, acquires Cover Flow

post #1 of 36
Apple has renamed its iTunes Music Store. Meanwhile, some of the software technology used in iTunes 7 was developed outside of the company. And accessory makers gain access to latest iPod dimensions.

New names for iTunes store

Though minor in detail, Apple on Tuesday formally altered the name of its iTunes Music Store, renaming it simply the "iTunes Store." The new name reflects the broader assortment of media content, such as movies and games, now being sold through the service.

Apple had settled on the name change much earlier, according to tipsters. About two months ago all iTunes Music Store support employees received a news bulletin stating that the store was to be referred to as the "iTunes Store" from there on out. With the release of iTunes 7, the change is official.

Apple acquires CoverFlow

In related news, iTunes 7 includes a feature called Cover Flow, which Apple purchased from a small software developer named Steel Skies.

"We are pleased to announce that all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property was recently sold to Apple," reads a message on the Steel Skies site. "It has been incorporated into the latest version of iTunes."

With iTunes 7 and Cover Flow, users can flip through their digital music and video collection just as they would CDs.

New iPod dimensions

Over on its developer site, Apple has released product dimensions for parties interested in developing an accessory for its new iPod models.

The new second generation iPod nano is 40 millimeters wide by 90 millimeters tall by 6.5 millimeters thick. Comparatively, the first generation nano was 40 millimeters wide by 90 millimeters tall by 6.9 millimeters thick.

post #2 of 36
That's really interesting. From the pictures they looked a little thicker. Goes to show you the value of the Apple retail stores. So I'm asssuming the weight went up (since I don't think Steve mentioned it)
post #3 of 36
The day after 12 September, 2006 and what's for discussion? The iPod's dimensions!
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #4 of 36
Nice that Apple bought the software, giving the developers something for their work. Given the developer's website has a Kyuss album cover being shown I can only imagine what that money is being spent on
post #5 of 36
What the hell the new nano looks a taller than the 1G but the dimensions say its the same. Whats going on?
post #6 of 36
I'm used to using the abbreviation "iTMS" to refer to the online entity through which Apple sells music (and now videos and whatnot). Does this mean I should start using "iTS" instead? That just doesn't work for me. \
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #7 of 36
It's actually .09 oz lighter. Old: 1.5 oz, New: 1.41 oz.
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsgwu

It's actually .09 oz lighter. Old: 1.5 oz, New: 1.41 oz.

I'm pretty sure the "old" Nano was billed as being less than an ounce.
post #9 of 36
bdj21ya, I think that was the shuffle (which is now down to 1/2 and ounce)
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder

bdj21ya, I think that was the shuffle (which is now down to 1/2 and ounce)

Really? does anyone have a 2 gig Nano and a mail scale handy?
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Really? does anyone have a 2 gig Nano and a mail scale handy?

Mine is only a 1GB nano, but it pegs 1.5oz almost exactly.
post #12 of 36
Your 1GB Nano weighs about 1.5 oz now, but it's full of songs.

I think they weigh less than 1 oz when they're empty.
post #13 of 36
New nano looks like iPod mini jr.
Its 6% thinner than previous nano.

Cover Flow acquisition negotiations:
Apple: We would like to acquire all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property.
Steel Skies: Sweet!
Apple: Name your price.
Steel Skies: Hmm, <raises pinky to lip> one meelion dollars!
Apple: How about this gift card for 10,000 free iTunes songs and a T-shirt?
Steel Skies: <slowly lowers pinky from lip> sold.
Apple: Sign here and initial here and will that be an Extra, Extra, Large?
post #14 of 36
duplicate post due to server busy message. Sorry.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazola

Your 1GB Nano weighs about 1.5 oz now, but it's full of songs.

I think they weigh less than 1 oz when they're empty.

post #16 of 36
Quote:

dito
post #17 of 36
Apple really knows how to keep things simple. Ever since Apple started to sell videos (still music?) there have been posts about whether the name "iTunes Music Store" should be changed and to what. Apple, on the other hand, decided to just drop "Music" from the name and leaving us with "iTunes Store" which I think is better. iTunes, the player, is the "OS" of Apple's entertainment strategy.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts

Apple really knows how to keep things simple. Ever since Apple started to sell videos (still music?) there have been posts about whether the name "iTunes Music Store" should be changed and to what. Apple, on the other hand, decided to just drop "Music" from the name and leaving us with "iTunes Store" which I think is better. iTunes, the player, is the "OS" of Apple's entertainment strategy.

No it's all about the artists. : )
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig

Nice that Apple bought the software, giving the developers something for their work. Given the developer's website has a Kyuss album cover being shown I can only imagine what that money is being spent on

It shows that Apple does benefit developers if Apple sees their work to be original, and not based upon their own ideas, no matter how old.
post #20 of 36
I don't understand. I saw a pic of the new one on top of the old one and the new one is definitely wider.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

New nano looks like iPod mini jr.
Its 6% thinner than previous nano.

Cover Flow acquisition negotiations:
Apple: We would like to acquire all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property.
Steel Skies: Sweet!
Apple: Name your price.
Steel Skies: Hmm, <raises pinky to lip> one meelion dollars!
Apple: How about this gift card for 10,000 free iTunes songs and a T-shirt?
Steel Skies: <slowly lowers pinky from lip> sold.
Apple: Sign here and initial here and will that be an Extra, Extra, Large?

Dude, this had me bawling!!!

Good job!
post #22 of 36
CoverFlow in iTunes 7 is nice, but the new advanced browser modes only works in the library, and not on connected devices (such as iPods)... which is crap, cuz I've got all my music on my iPod, and none on my computer. So these new browser modes do me nothing

(I've got a powerbook, that's why I can't have any music on my hard drive.. it's full of work, all the time, and Photoshop is eating gig after gig each time I work with it.. so.. )
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline

I'm used to using the abbreviation "iTMS" to refer to the online entity through which Apple sells music (and now videos and whatnot). Does this mean I should start using "iTS" instead? That just doesn't work for me. \

They could have changed to iTunes Media Store in my opinion. So we could keep the acronym.
post #24 of 36
Should Be Called The Istore!
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros

They could have changed to iTunes Media Store in my opinion. So we could keep the acronym.

I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered that media also means blank recordable media, so they may have wanted to prevent the confusion some might get trying to find it on the site, or having it show during Google media searches.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered that media also means blank recordable media, so they may have wanted to prevent the confusion some might get trying to find it on the site, or having it show during Google media searches.

How about iTunes Mega Store? iTunes Music and other stuff Store? iTunes Monetary Siphon?
post #27 of 36
Quote:

How about iTunes Mega Store? iTunes Music and other stuff Store? iTunes Monetary Siphon?

KISS!
post #28 of 36
iStore sounds nice. but iTunes Store does well too. i like it.
post #29 of 36
I think that there is too much name power behind iTunes to cut it from the store name. Though it obviously doesn't fit the current if you think about the make-up of the word; the fact is that "iTunes" (the term) is now defining the store and the whole user experience, not the other way around.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

KISS!

Kewl Itunes Song Service? But that sucks!
post #31 of 36
Quote:

Kewl Itunes Song Service? But that sucks!

Sorry Melgross, but if that's what it is, it really does suck. I just assumed you were Kissing Shetline for his brilliant suggestions. My, this has gotten a little to friendly for me!
post #32 of 36
Quote:

Sorry Melgross, but if that's what it is, it really does suck. I just assumed you were Kissing Shetline for his brilliant suggestions. My, this has gotten a little to friendly for me!

Keep It Simple Stupid!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #33 of 36
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the "old" Nano was billed as being less than an ounce.

I got those figures directly from the Apple technical specification pages for the old and new Nanos.

Old: 1.5 oz
New: 1.41 oz
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Keep It Simple Stupid!

Or, as an old boss of mine used to say:
"Keep it simple and stupid!"
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #35 of 36
... or alternately, Keep It Stupid, Simple!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 36
Quote:

SpamSandwitch seems to have gotten it right.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Notes: Apple renames iTunes store, acquires Cover Flow