or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft unveils Zune digital media player (images)

Microsoft unveils Zune digital media player (images) - Page 4

post #121 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekio

Is this going to mean all the Microsoft employees are going to have to give up their iPods?

I bet you could make a killing making Zune skins to go over iPods to keep Balmer off the employees' asses.

Why don't you give it a try and get back to us?
post #122 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

Oh look, I just made a poo joke!

How old are you people?

Doesn't matter how old we are, Microsoft should have seen it coming.
post #123 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

and we kid you not -- brown.

Now the shit can really hit the fan
post #124 of 206
M$'s version of iTunes, "Marketplace" looks scarily similar to ..er...iTunes.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...age022_low.jpg

The black bezel, is that what you would call "Brushed Plastic"?
post #125 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by matracer

jesus........ the cog icon, the top song/album/artists on the right..... the source menu on the left with the same titles..... can they realy not think of ANY half decent/origional ideas. this is just getting silly.... i just feel sorry for them now.
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #126 of 206
Quote:

Funny thing is they copied the Apple action menu Icon beside
their option Icon, too. poor.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #127 of 206
They even copy the reflection effect for there album art

Although they are looking a bit slim on top artists

Hope this all backfires and chokes them.....plagiarists
post #128 of 206
How the heck they can ever get away with this massive copycat?
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #129 of 206
Its about time apple stopped messin with Pages and produced an "Office" killing app, then they could merrily sue M$ and blow them away. just IMHO.
post #130 of 206
Quote:

Its about time apple stopped messin with Pages and produced an "Office" killing app, then they could merrily sue M$ and blow them away. just IMHO.

That demand is so vague as to be useless. iWork focuses on the home user; Office focuses on enterprises but works for home users as well. Office has collaboration; iWork does not.

What is it you want? Yet another clone like OpenOffice.org? Yawn.
post #131 of 206
I run a small business and I switched to the mac to escape viruses, spyware, malware but I also needed Office (Apple Works did not hit the mark) without office i would have been a little more reluctant to switch.

No one wants a clone IMO, part of the reason PC user switch is because they can still use Office. Pages is rubbish at word processing and I would like to see Apple produce a decent spreadsheet - apple style. It bugs me to use M$ Word/Excel Apple have done it with Keynote so lets finish of the suit and dump m$.
post #132 of 206
Quote:

Wait, hang on a sec... The Zune comes with its own app for downloading songs? Uh, why aren't they using Windows Media Player? It's already got access to online music stores and can sync songs to an MP3 player. Are Microsoft abandoning their own applications and creating unnecessary new ones?

post #133 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Can Creative be any more dead? It's dead. Bloody hell. Die, damnnit, die already!!!!!! Hopefully Zune will finally put it out of its misery.

you do realize that creative sells more mp3 players than apple sells ipods right?
they are the most popular mp3 brand in asia.
post #134 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by yama

Wait, hang on a sec... The Zune comes with its own app for downloading songs? Uh, why aren't they using Windows Media Player? It's already got access to online music stores and can sync songs to an MP3 player. Are Microsoft abandoning their own applications and creating unnecessary new ones?

yeah I know, the wmp11 beta blows itunes out of the water, and it is only a beta! I cannot understand why they aren't using wmp11.... this zune marketplace looks similiar to it, lets just hope it is as easy to use.
post #135 of 206
Quote:

Looks very cluttered and not very well organized.
post #136 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

I wonder what the compression for the video will be. Being that Apple is known to use open standards and Microsoft typically uses WMV (or whatever it's called) I imagine the quality will be rather poor on the Zune.

Not to mention the integration between Windows Media Player and the Zune will most likely be very difficult as opposed to the drag and drop ease of use of iTunes. And with iTunes 7, things just got easier.

you obviously have never used Windows Media Player 11

oh and about compression... from what I understand MS is very good at compression ( just look at hd-dvd ) or look here.
post #137 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

Looks very cluttered and not very well organized.

yes I hope that isn't the final version. ( although I suppose they will update it soon after launch anyways )
post #138 of 206
Quote:

They even copy the reflection effect for there album art

Although they are looking a bit slim on top artists

Hope this all backfires and chokes them.....plagiarists

what reflection effect?
post #139 of 206
Quick, everyone hide, it's a troll!
post #140 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Quick, everyone hide, it's a troll!

thats not very nice...
trying to create more diversity here. can't handle a discussion that has viewpoints different than yours?
post #141 of 206
Chill out Chucker i'm no troll, I just don't like people who cheat and copy other peoples work. M$ are are just too cheeky in my book.
post #142 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56292

thats not very nice...
trying to create more diversity here. can't handle a discussion that has viewpoints different than yours?

Aww, come on, I was kidding.

However, I'd be curious:

Quote:
the wmp11 beta blows itunes out of the water

Care to elaborate?

Quote:
what reflection effect?

See here.
post #143 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Aww, come on, I was kidding.

However, I'd be curious:

Care to elaborate?

See here.

wow that is awesome! ( lol can't believe I never noticed it before )

oh and what I mean is, itunes has never been very intuitive to me. ( when it comes to music management, not the store )
wmp11 just makes it a whole lot easier ( to me atleast ) to find music, create playlists, rename/reclassify songs ( or find their album art ) , and makes it really simple to sync with mp3 players,burn, and rip cds. my previous link had a beta for it if you would like to try it. ( still not available for macs yet )
The settings are really easy to manage, and picking between different music stores is literally just a click of a button. ( has a list of stores available in one of the horizontal tabs at the top of the player )
The only thing it is missing... is a good store like ITS to use it with.
I must admit though, Apple is definately bridging the gap.
Like the album art finder that will find album art for players that don't have it.
That is one of my favorite features in WMP11. ( although since wmp11 is still in beta, I guess apple technically came out with the feature first )
post #144 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

Why are people saying it is an ipod-ripoff?
It isn't the same color, doesn't have the same layout, doesn't have a scroll wheel, and isn't as thin as an ipod. So how is it coping it? cause it actually looks good? ( lol I know I am going to get denied for that, but I think it looks good )
post #145 of 206
Quote:

you do realize that creative sells more mp3 players than apple sells ipods right?
they are the most popular mp3 brand in asia.

Business 1.0.0 Build 001 : Sales : good. Profit : better. Sales with very little profit : not good.
post #146 of 206
Quote:

So how is it coping it? cause it actually looks good? ( lol I know I am going to get denied for that, but I think it looks good )

Yes, basically anything Microsoft that looks remotely good and Apple-like must mean that they ripped off Apple. Period. 8)
post #147 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
post #148 of 206
Quote:

It isn't the same color, doesn't have the same layout, doesn't have a scroll wheel, and isn't as thin as an ipod. So how is it coping it? cause it actually looks good? ( lol I know I am going to get denied for that, but I think it looks good )

Also basically anything that has "light glass bubble-ish reflection subtle graphite-metal etc" means they ripped off Apple.

post #149 of 206
ok, look right at the bottom of this page. remind you of anything? the 'shuffle' icon has been turned 90 degrees. OMG!!! the innovation!!! and the playback controls, a direct lift, plus a bit of moving around. jesus..... this is just the stupidest thing i have ever seen. apple, SUE!!! of course you're going to win!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...11/design.aspx
post #150 of 206
Quote:

are you blind?
post #151 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham

ok, look right at the bottom of this page. remind you of anything? the 'shuffle' icon has been turned 90 degrees. OMG!!! the innovation!!! and the playback controls, a direct lift, plus a bit of moving around. jesus..... this is just the stupidest thing i have ever seen. apple, SUE!!! of course you're going to win!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...11/design.aspx

ROFLMAO

I'm confused though, how do I fufill my URGE while ZUNE-ing at the Microsoft Marketplace or something...??
post #152 of 206
Typical microsoft, the left hand doesn't know the right is scratching its butt, then the left hand tries scratching, then the hands collide, very little scratching is done, and the butt still itches... WTF is the synergy going to be between WMP11, URGE, ZUNE, and ZUNEplayer?????
post #153 of 206
It's a bloody mess, that's what it is. Along with Vista, it's media offerings are all a mess covered over with blatant copycat graphics.
post #154 of 206
Quote:

ROFLMAO

what the hell does that mean?
post #155 of 206
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ROFLMAO

Can be used happily or sarcastically or evil-ly. Happily in my case above.
post #156 of 206
Quote:

what the hell does that mean?

Heh, you http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/noob ...!!!
post #157 of 206
ok I thought we were talking about zune here? yes I know vista copied the look of os x, but I am talking about the zune device. The zune device doesn't look anything like an ipod.
post #158 of 206
Quote:

are you blind?

yes?? show me.
post #159 of 206
Quote:

Heh, you http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/noob ...!!!

ROFL... I cannot belive they actually have a page for noob.
post #160 of 206
Quote:

Typical microsoft, the left hand doesn't know the right is scratching its butt, then the left hand tries scratching, then the hands collide, very little scratching is done, and the butt still itches... WTF is the synergy going to be between WMP11, URGE, ZUNE, and ZUNEplayer?????

yes it is typical waste of resources on microsoft's part. Why create a music store ( Urge ), a media player that is actually good ( wmp11 ) then decide to create a totally new store for your device.
Zune better work with wmp11.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft unveils Zune digital media player (images)