or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 and MW?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G5 and MW?

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Many sites have been reporting that the G5 will not be released at macworld. (I know everyine else knows this, just putting the facts in place) Anyways, MOSR even went and said they would not be ready yet. No one has said it will not be SHOWN yet, though. (If I am wrong, please show me) Anyways, what if they went ahead and SHOWCASED it, announcing it would be available in a month or two.... That way, they could show us now, and hold us over with the iMac or something like that....
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
post #2 of 40
What if the G5 is available on January 7, 2002?
post #3 of 40
If they said the G5 would be ready in a few weeks.....

Then they wouldn't sell a single desktop from now until the G5 was ready.

The stock would drop by 50% and a large crack in the Earth would form swalling most of Cupertino.

MSKR

I may be underestimating a little here.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</p>
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
Reply
"Just tell them that Ben Franklin said it, and everyone will believe the sentiment."
Reply
post #4 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Masker:
<strong>Then they wouldn't sell a single desktop from now until the G5 was ready.

The stock would drop by 50% and a large crack in the Earth would form swalling most of Cupertino.

MSKR

I may be underestimating a little here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dont think they would announce a chip and not ship it relatively soon (2-4 weeks).
post #5 of 40
Thread Starter 
Lol. If they released some other great digital devices, too, then they would still make money during that time period.. But, I am of course probably wrong as usual.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
Reply
post #6 of 40
I posted this in another forum, because it was the only other one that seemed appropriate, and this one didn't exist yet, but I think it fits better here, so here goes...take this for what it's worth, I don't even believe it myself, so much...

my b/f came home from work today, and we're having dinner, and we're talking, you know, the usual "how was your day" chit chat, and I'm like "oh, and on apple today, the tagline was ..." he interupts, "yeah, G5's are coming monday."

"huh? what do you mean?" I ask puzzled, as he goes on to tell me about this kid he works with. Neither he nor my b/f are Mac freaks like myself by any means, but I guess he had mentioned how crazy I had been over the whole Macworld thing and what not, and he says something about the G5, and the kid he works with is all like "G5? aren't those out yet?"

To which my b/f responds "Why, no..."

"Oh, that's funny, my friend who works at apple has had one for like a month, he was all excited about it when he got it... blah blah blah, but I was all like 'whatever' so I just figured they were out." Says the kid at work.

This could very well mean nothing, I don't know this kid, let alone his friend "who works at apple," and he could, being a non apple freak, simply mistaken G5 for G4 or whatever. But....something about this... the answers are never where you're looking for them, they just kind of find you, you know?

So, I'm not saying it's the god-honest truth, and I'm not going to use the "C" word, but I do think it's something to chew on, and I'm slightly less skeptical, and a little more hopeful for a G5 intro on Monday.


So anyway,

I recommend everyone take the day off sunday, get some rest, leave these poor boards alone, meditate, read a book, write some poetry, just chill out, because, no matter how much we chit chat, nothing's going to change what does come out on monday, so we might as well just let it surprise us when it does come, actually enjoy it for a change instead of analyizing every possible outcome.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

As if... See you all tomorrow,

ciao,

michael
my other signature is witty
Reply
my other signature is witty
Reply
post #7 of 40
If they announce it publicly, they will allow pre-orders. At worst in the scenario that they announce G5's without having them, if they have them out (cashing in on pre-orders) by the end of the quarter, it's the same thing on the books. The rush or orders could likely outweigh the loss in G4 purchases in the meantime. Of course, waiting 3 months for a pre-order is bit silly.
post #8 of 40
Nice story, scadboy .
post #9 of 40
Nice post, EmAn.

(forgot about that New Year's Resolution already, huh?)
post #10 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by murbot:
<strong>Nice post, EmAn.

(forgot about that New Year's Resolution already, huh?)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I think I'll start the New Year's Resolution after MWSF... if I can
post #11 of 40
post #12 of 40
[quote]So anyway,

I recommend everyone take the day off sunday, get some rest, leave these poor boards alone, meditate, read a book, write some poetry, just chill out, because, no matter how much we chit chat, nothing's going to change what does come out on monday, so we might as well just let it surprise us when it does come, actually enjoy it for a change instead of analyizing every possible outcome.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

As if... See you all tomorrow,

ciao,

michael<hr></blockquote>

ROTFL! Had me there...

Off topic, but r u gay, scadboy?
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
Reply
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
Reply
post #13 of 40
AMD and Intel will chip a new processor in use of 0.13 micron technology - so why motorola shouldn't release the G5 with 0.13?
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
Reply
go AAPL, go to $70 !!! © 2004
Reply
post #14 of 40
Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #15 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Masker:
<strong>If they said the G5 would be ready in a few weeks.....

Then they wouldn't sell a single desktop from now until the G5 was ready.

The stock would drop by 50% and a large crack in the Earth would form swalling most of Cupertino.

MSKR

I may be underestimating a little here.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think so. What Apple doesn't want is you to have your money out, and since the product is not available, you go buy a non-Apple product. But in this case, I think most who want a PowerMac will pre-order and still eventually give their money to Apple. Apple loses a very little bit - financially its better to have our money sooner than later - but doesn't lost the sale.

For other products, it is not so cut and dried. For an Airport, there are other competitive, functionally equivalent products. Another example would be the iMac - if the top of the line is not availabe as soon, but less expensive models are, some may opt for the less expensive model rather than wait. Apple still got the sale, but Apple probably makes more money on the top models, so they forever lost that part of the profit.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
post #16 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Masker:
<strong>If they said the G5 would be ready in a few weeks.....

Then they wouldn't sell a single desktop from now until the G5 was ready.

The stock would drop by 50% and a large crack in the Earth would form swalling most of Cupertino.

MSKR

I may be underestimating a little here.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you forget some other things like new LCD iMac and the One More Thing ... that will sell and fast with the 27 apple stores.
And didn't they do that last year with the 733 G4 ?
"I like workin on my Mac to jazz. A pianist doesn't spend time peeking inside the piano." Neville Brody
Reply
"I like workin on my Mac to jazz. A pianist doesn't spend time peeking inside the piano." Neville Brody
Reply
post #17 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Matsu:
<strong>Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yikes Matsu... you is a nasty mofo.

Anyway, I think scatboy would be the bad one... not sure what a scad is.

Anyway, a little out of line don't you think?

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
post #18 of 40
stimuli asked:

iOff topic, but r u gay, scadboy?

Come on man! Anyone you says 'ciao' is gay!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
post #19 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Matsu:
<strong>Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>


I, being very conservative, am not exactly a gay rights activist. But that comment was out of line and the mods should do something about it. We don't need to do that in here...

Hope your story is true, scadboy.


AND ALSO, as far as the G5 is concerned:

Jerimiah Rich Writes:

"Many sites have been reporting that the G5 will not be released at macworld. (I know everyine else knows this, just putting the facts in place)"

Well, I don't agree. I think if Apple developed the chip then it could very well be coming in secret.. If not G5, then I DO BUY the speeds of 1.2, 1.4 possibly 1.6......

MOSR and SPYMAC are totally full of shit. The Register had multiple sources on the G5....and none of what they posted has been debunked...not factually. I think it is coming....mark my words. If I'm wrong, fine. I'll live with that.

Not EVERYONE agrees here.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #20 of 40
[quote]Scad boy? Interesting choice of names for a homo, no?<hr></blockquote>
Savannah College of Art and Design, SCAD, you ignorant hetero.
four more beers, four more beers
Reply
four more beers, four more beers
Reply
post #21 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by cowerd:
<strong>
Savannah College of Art and Design, SCAD, you ignorant hetero.</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol. Reminds me of "Jane, you ignorant slut."

anyone here old enough to remember that SNL skit?
Still waiting for a PowerMac that is a significant jump in performance from current levels.
Reply
Still waiting for a PowerMac that is a significant jump in performance from current levels.
Reply
post #22 of 40
Yes, Hi Ho, I remember

I also remember walking down the hall at the Philadelphia College of Art in Fall, 1985, and catching a glimpse of an intriguing machine in the computer lab...

As I approached this quirky looking box with what seemed to be an undersized screen, I realized that it sported black type on a paper-white screen, the reverse of most computers out there... and what was this small box connected by a cable to the computer?

In the half hour I spent poking around that Mac 128, I realized things had changed for good. And to this day, I still harbor a little bit of that wonder whenever I use a Mac... because I remember a world without them! Commodore PETs...&lt;&lt;shudder&gt;&gt;

Some of the posters in this forum weren't even born on that day in 1985, and probably don't have the same goofy nostalgia I do... but I believe that they'll shortly see a revolution on the same order as that first Mac. The PC market is skidding to a halt, as people await the next compelling reason to upgrade.

That competitive pressure will spawn a new generation of machines, sporting intelligence and ease of use will make our present Macs look like relics. And, as usual, Apple will likely be leading the way. It may not be the best or biggest PC maker, but it is surely the most inspiring.

And (back on topic) that's why I believe we'll see a G5 tomorrow- Apple needs to move forward while the rest of the PC world hems and haws.
marc siry
century city, USA
Reply
marc siry
century city, USA
Reply
post #23 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Krassy:
<strong>AMD and Intel will chip a new processor in use of 0.13 micron technology - so why motorola shouldn't release the G5 with 0.13?</strong><hr></blockquote>Maybe because Motorola has like 7 people working on semiconductors now, whereas AMD and Intel have hundreds of thousands.
post #24 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by BRussell:
<strong>Maybe because Motorola has like 7 people working on semiconductors now, whereas AMD and Intel have hundreds of thousands.</strong><hr></blockquote>

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #25 of 40
If Apple was so forward about there being no new hardware in Paris, why wouldn't they have been more forward about refuting the existence of the G5?
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
post #26 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by BRussell:
<strong>Maybe because Motorola has like 7 people working on semiconductors now, whereas AMD and Intel have hundreds of thousands.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know that 9000 individuals is an insanely large number to cut out of one division, so we know PPC development wasn't helped by this action. Yet, does anyone actually know how many people in total were working in that sector prior to the cut? Maybe there were 18,000 and the cut was just mangement and low level cell phone peons. Perhaps Motorola worked out a deal with Apple such that Apple hired all of the Motorola firees. And maybe development has shifted away from Motorola and to AMD, such that the alliance is now Apple, AMD, IBM. Perhaps IBM will have a much more important role in future PPC development.
PPC4EVER
Reply
PPC4EVER
Reply
post #27 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by marc_siry:
<strong>Yes, Hi Ho, I remember

I also remember walking down the hall at the Philadelphia College of Art in Fall, 1985, and catching a glimpse of an intriguing machine in the computer lab...

As I approached this quirky looking box with what seemed to be an undersized screen, I realized that it sported black type on a paper-white screen, the reverse of most computers out there... and what was this small box connected by a cable to the computer?

In the half hour I spent poking around that Mac 128, I realized things had changed for good. And to this day, I still harbor a little bit of that wonder whenever I use a Mac... because I remember a world without them! Commodore PETs...&lt;&lt;shudder&gt;&gt;

Some of the posters in this forum weren't even born on that day in 1985, and probably don't have the same goofy nostalgia I do... but I believe that they'll shortly see a revolution on the same order as that first Mac. The PC market is skidding to a halt, as people await the next compelling reason to upgrade.

That competitive pressure will spawn a new generation of machines, sporting intelligence and ease of use will make our present Macs look like relics. And, as usual, Apple will likely be leading the way. It may not be the best or biggest PC maker, but it is surely the most inspiring.

And (back on topic) that's why I believe we'll see a G5 tomorrow- Apple needs to move forward while the rest of the PC world hems and haws.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree with you on the nostalgia. I had an Apple II+, and was learning Basic on the TRS-80 back in the early 80's. Hell, the Commodore was great back then. Until the Mac came out. I had an opportunity to borrow one for a few weeks, and was completely hooked. God, even paint was the most advanced thing out there!

Apple has been burnt by hype in the past (even recently), and has taken every opportunity to dispel rumors in the past. This time they are encouraging it. This is different. This will be different. Computing will not be the same after Monday.
Still waiting for a PowerMac that is a significant jump in performance from current levels.
Reply
Still waiting for a PowerMac that is a significant jump in performance from current levels.
Reply
post #28 of 40
Oh my! The things that get said behind a boy's back...

Yes, SCAD as in Savannah Colegio de Artes y diseño, College of Art and Design for the spanish impaired. Nothing nasty or unsanitary going on there, except at the bursar's office.

Yes, Matsu, you're a jerk...
As far as the G5 things go, I actually talked to the kid (Marc) who knows the guy who works at Apple, and he's pretty darn sure his friend has a G5, not G4, but I guess we'll see come monday, either way.

ciao,

(yes, only gay people and italians and some latin americanos say ciao)

michael

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
my other signature is witty
Reply
my other signature is witty
Reply
post #29 of 40
(yes, only gay people and italians and some latin americanos say ciao)

Actually.. Many non italian speaking europeans often use "Ciao."
post #30 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by marc_siry:
<strong>In the half hour I spent poking around that Mac 128, I realized things had changed for good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One of my profs from design school has a similar story... he as an english teacher who found a mac in a similar way, and one thing let to another until he ended up teaching design.

In any case...

The Point Is

It's going to take more than some incremental, or even incredible speed bump in order to change things as much as the Mac did on January 24th, 1984.

The stuff Apple Computer, Inc. was saying before that football game were similar to what they're saying this week.

I think we're in for more than a new chip, a flat consumer machine and other whatnot.

I wouldn't be suprised if Apple's big announcement that's "Way Beyond" has as much to do with the Macintosh as the Macintosh had to do with the Apple ][.

That is: something WHOLLY DIFFERENT.

Ie: Not a new Mac.

Just new.

That's not a prediction, just that I wouldn't be suprised.

Amazed, but not taken off guard.

And whatever it is or isn't, I am more excited about this junk than I've been since the night before the first iBooks were announced.

Yahoo!

- me

$me = ('Berber' + 'Carpet');
Reply
- me

$me = ('Berber' + 'Carpet');
Reply
post #31 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by scadboy:
<strong>

Yes, SCAD as in Savannah Colegio de Artes y Deseo, College of Art and Design for the spanish impaired. Nothing nasty or unsanitary going on there, except at the bursar's office.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, College of Arts and Desire, for some reason.

Michael
Sintoo, agora non podo falar.
Reply
Sintoo, agora non podo falar.
Reply
post #32 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by scadboy:
[Q]Oh my! The things that get said behind a boy's back...

Yes, SCAD as in Savannah Colegio de Artes y Deseo, College of Art and Design for the spanish impaired. Nothing nasty or unsanitary going on there, except at the bursar's office.

Yes, Matsu, you're a jerk...

ciao,

(yes, only gay people and italians and some latin americanos say ciao)

michael[/Q]<hr></blockquote>

Damn, I totally forgot about this thread... leave for a few hours and see what happens?

uhh, why am I jerk? You were talking about your boyfriend. Kudos. People talk about their girlfriends and we rib them about it all the time, so now homo-sex is somehow sacrosanct but hetero-sex is fair game? That's just bullshit. Scad sounds like Scat, and given the nature of certain homo-sex activities a gay guy named ScadBoy deserves at least a little prod (uh, but only if he's been a good boy? <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> ) err... well, you know what I mean.

I didn't even think about it, but I come back to a chorus of "the mods should do something about it!" and "it's out of line" Please, give it a rest, or save it for the PPC cause du jour...

No homos or heteros or anyone else had their quality of life negatively impacted by reading that post. If you think orientation shouldn't affect equality, then gays have to be open to the same kind of sexual jest as straights. Otherwise, your just saying that we're all too uncomfortable with fag/homo/gay/whatever life to joke about it. We can pretend to be equal and un-bigotted beneath a veneer of civility. That's crock. Sex and orientation, love and relationships, are just as funny when they're gay.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #33 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by Matsu:
<strong> People talk about their girlfriends and we rib them about it all the time, so now homo-sex is somehow sacrosanct but hetero-sex is fair game? That's just bullshit. Scad sounds like Scat, and given the nature of certain homo-sex activities a gay guy named ScadBoy deserves at least a little prod (uh, but only if he's been a good boy? <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> ) err... well, you know what I mean. </strong><hr></blockquote>

MMMM, no, I think that last post just comfirms it, you are a jerk.

This isn't about gay versus straight, it's about good taste, and your comment was out of bounds and off topic, especially since scat is not an exclusively homosexual activity. It would be like if I (or anyone) replied to someone's post in which they mentioned their mother, and said "..." uh, well, something very nasty and bizarre about that person's mother. It's not that I think you're a homophobe, or that I'm being bashed, it was just plain tasteless.

ciao,

michael
my other signature is witty
Reply
my other signature is witty
Reply
post #34 of 40
Go2mac.com has a link to a French computer retail site with new hardware specs. I checked out the link and the powermacs are listed with the G4 processer. However, at the bottom of the page there is a big fat awsome picture of a G5 processer.

Not sure if this computer site is real or a hoax.

Here is the link to check it out.
<a href="http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html" target="_blank">http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html</a>

- Mark
post #35 of 40
[quote] Scad sounds like Scat, and given the nature of certain homo-sex activities a gay guy named ScadBoy <hr></blockquote>

I will try to refrain from mud slinging but do you even know what 'scat' means? It has NOTHING to do with sexual orientation. Gay or straight can partake in this sick act. Scat, as you obviously don't know, is someone pooping on someone else (possibly eating is involved-sorry ). Nothing to do with being gay.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #36 of 40
Hey sc_markt, that site looks real. And yes, that is a big fat picture of a G5 chip. What the hell are we going to get on monday? Whatever it is, 1.4 ain't bad!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
Reply
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
Reply
post #37 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:
<strong>Go2mac.com has a link to a French computer retail site with new hardware specs. I checked out the link and the powermacs are listed with the G4 processer. However, at the bottom of the page there is a big fat awsome picture of a G5 processer.

Not sure if this computer site is real or a hoax.

Here is the link to check it out.
<a href="http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html" target="_blank">http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html</a>

- Mark</strong><hr></blockquote>

These are the same model numbers that are at SpyMac (except in French).
post #38 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by anand:
<strong>Hey sc_markt, that site looks real. And yes, that is a big fat picture of a G5 chip. What the hell are we going to get on monday? Whatever it is, 1.4 ain't bad!</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, that's a big fat picture of a G4 chip with "G5" Photoshopped onto it.

Compare their "G5"....

<a href="http://www.clginformatique.com/photos_db/g5.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.clginformatique.com/photos_db/g5.jpg</a>

to this picture of a G4:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/powermac/processor.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/powermac/processor.html</a>
post #39 of 40
[quote]Originally posted by scadboy:
<strong>

MMMM, no, I think that last post just comfirms it, you are a jerk.

This isn't about gay versus straight, it's about good taste, and your comment was out of bounds and off topic, especially since scat is not an exclusively homosexual activity. It would be like if I (or anyone) replied to someone's post in which they mentioned their mother, and said "..." uh, well, something very nasty and bizarre about that person's mother. It's not that I think you're a homophobe, or that I'm being bashed, it was just plain tasteless.

ciao,

michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh shit! (pardon the pun) I wasn't even thinking about people shitting on each other. I was just thinking in terms of alternative uses for the pooper. Pitcher and catcher and all that. Which, as you point out, really has nothing to do with scat, unless someone hasn't taken a good shower before and after... err... well, this post certainly doesn't make it any better, huh?

Sorry about the mix-up on the whole gay vs fecal freak thing. Obviously they have nothing to do with each other.
IBL!
Reply
IBL!
Reply
post #40 of 40
if you notice, everything is a french copy of other conflicting information...the iwalk, the 14.1 inch imac LCD, the same PPC configs. another dead end..
"Mac users enjoy a love-hate relationship with Microsoft--in which love is defined as "resigned tolerance" and hate as "lava-hot rancor fueled by the fire of a thousand burning suns."

-Macworld
Reply
"Mac users enjoy a love-hate relationship with Microsoft--in which love is defined as "resigned tolerance" and hate as "lava-hot rancor fueled by the fire of a thousand burning suns."

-Macworld
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 and MW?