or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Parallels and Core 2 Duo iMac

Parallels and Core 2 Duo iMac

post #1 of 6
Just bought a new 17" iMac with 2.0 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo processor. As soon as I try to start a Parallels Desktop virtual machine I get a kernal panic, every time.

I've done some research and I think that the Update RC might fix the problem so I'm installing that now, and I'll reply as to whether it fixes it or not.

Anyone else having these problems, and know a solution?
post #2 of 6
Tried it on a 20" iMac and it kernel panicked but the RC update fixed it.
post #3 of 6
Yeah, seems to work fine with the RC update. Parallels is rather a disappointment, however. I don't mean performace, of course. I used to have to use Virtual PC *shudder*. On the other hand, Parallels is missing a lot of basic features that made using Virtual PC seamless. Where is Drag and Drop copying or even copy-paste of files and folders? I can use a Shared folder and copy my files that way but you expect me to explain how to do that to my Mom and Dad?

Also, Virtual PC had an awesome feature where the Windows programs also showed up in the dock. And double clicking on a .exe file in OS X would immediately switch to Virtual PC and open it up.

These are basic features for really making Parallels useful. Do these things exist and I'm just missing them, or is there a lot of work left to be done....
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash

Yeah, seems to work fine with the RC update. Parallels is rather a disappointment, however. I don't mean performace, of course. I used to have to use Virtual PC *shudder*. On the other hand, Parallels is missing a lot of basic features that made using Virtual PC seamless. Where is Drag and Drop copying or even copy-paste of files and folders? I can use a Shared folder and copy my files that way but you expect me to explain how to do that to my Mom and Dad?

I always used to use shared folders with Virtual PC. With drag and drop, I could never be sure of where things were or how many copies I was making. You probably have to explain it by saying Parallels is like running a PC beside your Mac and the shared folder is like a disk you use to pass data between them.

Quote:

Also, Virtual PC had an awesome feature where the Windows programs also showed up in the dock. And double clicking on a .exe file in OS X would immediately switch to Virtual PC and open it up.

I like to keep Mac and Windows separate so I always had the dock icons off. Double-clicking an exe to open the program might make some things easier but I imagine the virtual machine would have to still copy the executable to somewhere inside where it could be run. For me it's trivial to open the machine and do it from in there.

Quote:

These are basic features for really making Parallels useful. Do these things exist and I'm just missing them, or is there a lot of work left to be done....

Parallels for Mac is certainly quite young and there are a lot of things they can do. At the moment, they are rightly focusing on stability and essential system features like decent USB support and 3D acceleration. When they finishe with that, they may well add some of the other features. Those features you mentioned didn't get added to VPC until it was reaching the end of its development and my guess is they were only added so they could sell a new version.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

I always used to use shared folders with Virtual PC. With drag and drop, I could never be sure of where things were or how many copies I was making. You probably have to explain it by saying Parallels is like running a PC beside your Mac and the shared folder is like a disk you use to pass data between them.

I like to keep Mac and Windows separate so I always had the dock icons off. Double-clicking an exe to open the program might make some things easier but I imagine the virtual machine would have to still copy the executable to somewhere inside where it could be run. For me it's trivial to open the machine and do it from in there.

Parallels for Mac is certainly quite young and there are a lot of things they can do. At the moment, they are rightly focusing on stability and essential system features like decent USB support and 3D acceleration. When they finishe with that, they may well add some of the other features. Those features you mentioned didn't get added to VPC until it was reaching the end of its development and my guess is they were only added so they could sell a new version.

Yeah, I guess that all makes sense... sigh \

Anyone know how big of a company parallels is? How fast is their turn around on updates for new hardware etc. ?
post #6 of 6
Quote:

Anyone know how big of a company parallels is? How fast is their turn around on updates for new hardware etc. ?

I don't think they are as big as VMWare who are bringing a competing product out for OS X but their turnaround seems to be pretty fast. The Core 2 Duos were only released recently, and Parallels caused kernel panics but an updated version was already available when I needed it, which was just two weeks or so after the iMac release date. I'm not sure when the update was issued exactly though.

BTW, have you installed Parallels tools yet? That gives you some nice functionality like not having to ctrl-alt to release the mouse. It's in one of the menus but you need to have Windows running in order to install it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Parallels and Core 2 Duo iMac